Public votes on the map updates  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new Antargis design?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Oyus said:

Oboi this looks like we are frequently riddled with eurthquakes. Would tsunamis be potentially a threat, too? In addition to hurricanes I think I would also get at times.....

DONT LET THIS DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT THAT OYUS IS THE PREMIERE TROPICAL TOURIST DESTINATION THAT CAN CONVENIENTLY HIDE YOUR MONEY!!

So basically every RL tropical tourist destination :v

Now perhaps this is more of a question for @Metztlitlalio and @Eulycea than @Sunset Sea Islands and @Creaturae, but how much of an impact would living on the sides of, and in the shadow, of those giant mountains have on the countries there?

I imagine one of the main modes of travel will be the funicular, more than the mountain railway 😋

Presumably, it will have a massive impact on the local weather patterns, as well as one on the wider wurld's one.

12 hours ago, Oyus said:

Would tsunamis be potentially a threat, too?

@Oyus might certainly be hit by tsunamis from time to time, but the @Gallambrian territories and @Seylos might have it worse. Same goes for islands on the @Little Flauton plate. Also, depending on their placement on the map, @Yeosan might also be hit from time to time, but I think the transformative line between the Adisi and the Fulgiotan plate might be less active than the one between the Dolch and the Adisi plate.

6 hours ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

funicular

Oh yes, gib, those things are great! The last time I rode one of these must have been in Hastings back in '15! Might even think how viable they would be for my country, since the capital slowly expands into the eastern mountains.

Cargo-carrying funiculars, now that'll be a sight to see. Although this does mean that I might need to rethink a few of my future plans involving shipping tens of thousands of city slum inhabitants to the rural areas (overgeneralised).

Edited by Metztlitlalio (see edit history)
11 hours ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

Now perhaps this is more of a question for @Metztlitlalio and @Eulycea than @Sunset Sea Islands and @Creaturae, but how much of an impact would living on the sides of, and in the shadow, of those giant mountains have on the countries there?

I imagine one of the main modes of travel will be the funicular, more than the mountain railway 😋

Presumably, it will have a massive impact on the local weather patterns, as well as one on the wider wurld's one.

Well, the rain shadows on these mountain ranges would be pretty massive. Very, very dry. Not necessarily hot, though.

Something sort-of related that I never really touched on in my versions of the climate map (I don't know if @Metztlitlalio really took this into consideration, but he might have) is the influence altitude has on climate. The Artifexian video on climate that I mainly used as reference for Eurth says to just ignore tall mountains, since attitudinal climate variation, from what I've researched, complicates the process. He only covers everything below 800 meters and simply greys out anything taller than that. I believe in my versions of the climate map, I ignored everything above 2000 meters. If I didn't, basically the entire map would be grey-ed out space with no assigned climate. Eurth is really tall.

In the next version of the climate map, along with changing the temperature to match @Metztlitlalio's map, me and him will probably have to do some more research into attitudinal climate variation to make this next map even more accurate than the ones before it.

Also, not so much related to discussion on climate, but what do you guys think about me changing the name of this topic to something like "Eurth Map Rework"? The map is certainly getting some major updates as of late, and this seems to be where most of that is discussed and shared.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Metztlitlaca said:

Initially there was also plans to shrink the isthmus between the Mediargic and Canamo Sea to allow for a realistic canal placement for @Prymont, but that would of required Dniester to be severely reduced in size. Those who reside in that part of Argis can decide amongst each other the best course of action - either to change isthmus or to keep it the same.

Arguably, with so little done canonically speaking, I'm sure few revisions would need to be made and concessions of some sort can be made to Dniester if necessary and seemingly agreeable.

8 hours ago, Metztlitlaca said:

I should apologise to Prymont, Oyus, @Yeosan, @Greater Serbia as realistically earthquakes and volcanoes may become an issue in your nations. However as it's not up to me to decide what happens in your nations - feel free to ignore any tectonic hazards you like.

I'm likely to accept these though one question that sticks is given how faults and volcanoes seem to work (to the best of my knowledge) arguably my topography might be somewhat different than where it stands especially given I'm at the intersection of not two but three tectonic plates on my principal isle. I'd also imagine that could change climate somewhat too. Going from no volcano to earthquakes and lava sounds like something that would have some sort of affect on that. If any of my assessments are completely illogical and nonsensical feel free to spare me and explain why. I'm not a science major (or any major but especially a science one) for a reason.

If I could be allowed some room to gripe I suppose it would be that while I'm glad to have something closer to me to expand to I'm not sure I enjoy the idea of islands that realistically would be close enough for me to have had in the first place suddenly popping up seemingly out of nowhere and I'd honestly had hoped for islands a little further way deep in the Adisi perhaps.

In the end I'll do what I am required to do in order to have ownership over the new opportunities but to say I am not a little frustrated at where they landed would be a lie. In addition I don't exactly expect new isles to be added just because lil ol me is mad you changed things to be more realistic and cannot gripe too much considering I did not realistically expect to have any new Isles pop up close to me to begin with.

I am going to have a better look and ponder more about the new changes when I get home tonight and make a post about anything that comes to mind at that time. It's better when you're not crunched for time while determined to make some sort of reply to this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not entirely against the idea of reducing Antargis in size as it will still be hospitable through research stations but I don't know why we need to drastically change how it looks other than "ew it's ugly". Perhaps some better reasoning would change my mind but as it stands, I'm for a size reduction of current Antargis.

Additionally we don't need warm currents for colonies either. Beyond research facilities nobody has mentioned a desire for this in the OOC or IC threads, but I don't know how much this would affect ocean currents for something that isn't currently a major issue.

Edited by Prymont (see edit history)
9 hours ago, Metztlitlaca said:

👏 Climate Gang Update 2: Island Boogaloo 👏

NOTE: Everything in this post is NOT FINAL. It is meant to be discussed and changed, nothing here is finalised.
NOTE 2: If you are involved in the 3rd Antargic Council Meeting, read the paragraph below in red.

Of the five (four) people who filled out the Eurth Map Revisions Feedback Form, it was primarily split between an update every week or every two weeks - so we will try to push out one of these every 1-2 weeks depending on how much we have done. Currently we are on Draft V2.3 taking on feedback and criticism by those who filled out the form, replied to this thread, or had asked in direct messages to Climate Group members. As done before we will split up each change into it's own categories; this time they are "Created" "Changed/Moved" and "Sunken/Removed". Below are two maps; one of all changes and one that is a generic blank map of Eurth. It should also be stated the way we conduct ourselves has also changed with a new 3-step minmum approval policy. Before any new changes can be added onto a new version of the map they must first be approved within the Climate Group private chat, then brought to those who are directly affected by the changes for confirmation/edits/declination. If those who are affected confirm the new changes and/or the changes are changed to better suit the those affected, the new compromised version is then returned back to the CG group for one final confirmation. This ensures maximum clarity and communication within the group, although does slow down time between versions.

Blank_Eurth_-_Changes.png

Green - Created
Red - Changed and/or Moved
Blue - Sunken and/or Removed

Blank_Eurth.png

Created

Most new land created was primarily near the equator and near the Adisi Ocean. The @Oyus island chain was completely reworked with more uniquely designed islands and with said islands at a further distance from Oyus. Several smaller islands were also placed in the Adisi ocean for possible expansion plans for those who border the Adisi Ocean. @Yeosan was contacted about the new islands and he was positive with the changes.

From what was said in the Eurth Map Revisions Feedback Form and in the Discord, the Manamana Isthmus change was rather controversial with an equal split between preferring the new Manamana Isthmus and the old Manamana Isthmus. As such we've decided to compromise on the situation by increasing the width of the isthmus to an average width between the original and Version 1.

unknown.png?width=1173&height=677

White - Version 1
Light Green - Version 2.3
Dark Green - Initial Thickness

Like last draft, there will be a Feedback Form after a couple days, with a couple questions regarding the Manamana Isthmus.

Changed and/or Moved

As per expected, there are several islands that have been moved around as per request/decision making. Several islands were moved from the initial Oyus island chain into the Adisi Ocean as requested to allow for more varied expansion by those surrounding the ocean or had historically owned territory in the region. Most likely this will affect @Gallambria, @Oyus, and @Limonaia the most although said affect might be minimal/pre-expected.

An island that is currently controlled by the now-inactive @Adaptus (Last online 18th May, 2019) was requested to be moved towards the middle of Occident Europa and Eastern Argis by @Tagmatium Rules as part of the recent Christian Lore Task Force (#bless)'s attempts at unifying the lore around Christianity on Eurth. The island's historic (new) placement would allow for ships from the Occident to reach Argis far earlier then in real life. The closest distance from Occident to Little Adapty (That's what I'm calling the island until someone corrects me) is 826 miles (1,330km). And the closest distance from Little Adapty to Argis is 491 miles (789km) if we allow for the usage of minor islands near the larger landmasses. A direct route from Little Adapty to Argis is 610 miles (981km)

unknown.png    unknown.png

Compared to the initial jump from Europa to Little Atapty of 451 miles (726km) and then from Little Atapty to Argis of 989 Miles (1,592km). Both versions equal 2288km, but the newer version reduces the ranges and allows for more realistic travel times by boat. For an example, a straight line from Iceland to Greenland is 733 miles (1179km). This still puts at least one of the journeys on either version outside that limit, but i'll leave the Christian Lore Task Force (#bless) to figure that out. Either to continue to adjust the location of the island or to add another island as part of a chain.

unknown.png

Below is where I would personally suggest an island*
*Has not been reviewed by the GC nor CLTF

Removed or Sunken

Only several locations have been removed as this is the most controversial part of any design update. The least controversial will be the removal of "Generic_Island_01" from Oyus' island chain and instead replaced with the far more interesting island south of Yeosan's island. Another island removed is in the far north near Argis, which would be very unlikely to ever see action and reduces the overall emptiness of the map. It's location means it would most likely just be apart of the greater North Pole ice sheets.

Below is a picture of a minor change to Argis as requested by @Prymont to allow for his canal to be more realistic (i.e. - cheaper). Contact of @North Dniester through Discord was unsuccessful so I could not ask his permission/opinion on the matter. The extended Canamo Sea follows his northern border with no reduction to his nation's size.

unknown.png

Antargis' Aurelia-centred peninsula has been reduced in it's height to allow for it's ocean currents and that of Aurelia to remain distinct with only a small amount of circulation between them. This means that Antargis' ocean currents remained locked to it's continent primarily and reinforces the colder temperatures - similar to the real life Antarctica - keeping it uninhabitable. On the topic of Antargis...

Antargis Appeal - Important!

We required those who's RPs are tied with Antargis to provide feedback on the new continent. So far we have had zero responses and yet those involved who are willing to voice their opinions call us out on bad communication. As such I am stating this is our final draft on Antargis unless someone from the 3rd Antargic Council Meeting states they are unhappy with the changes and provides (constructive) criticism or requests for the changes to be reverted. We are happy to revert any changes any members feel are too intrusive or a worse then their initial versions. But we cannot *know* if people feel as though these changes are for the worse if they refuse to provide us with complaints or criticism. We were initially planning to [@] all members involved in the 3rd Antargis Council Meeting but we decided against doing so.

We do not wish to cause a confrontation between members, but we cannot continue to let this drag us without a known conclusion. This decision was agreed upon by Orioni.

Other Changes

Eurth_Tectonics_-_Names.png

The war for what to call the tectonic plate to the east of the Marenesia Plate continues to rage on. "Oceanesia" is the current working title, but if anyone has an idea for a better name or prefers a name from above please state so in a reply on either here or on the Discord. After talking to Oyus we came to agree to leave the tectonic boundary as is, same with Tagmatium. If anyone wishes for their position near/on a tectonic plate to change please state so. Also; you are of course allowed to ignore any tectonic hazards that might occur in your nation due to the changes as with anything provided here - we are not the ones with the final say in your country.

Well I mean, technically Orioni and the admins do if they believe you are going too far. But that's besides the point.

Ocean_Currents_Eurth_-_Simple.png   Continental_Shelf.png

Ocean currents remain relatively the same except with the reduction in currents mixing between Aurelia and Antargis. Friendly reminder that if you are close to the equator and have a warm current at your coastlines you can (realistically - up to you) have large expanses of coral reefs if you also have large regions of continental shelving. Continental shelves were not changed from the previous version except to accommodate the new/moved/removed landmasses. Prymont's continental shelving was extended slightly to be inline with the larger tectonic plate (and to allow for more fishing).

Conclusion

Although the first version came out on rocky terms and issues regarding communication, we have strived for this next version to be more transparent with the community and directly involving the members with more of the precise changes. Of course there is still much to do regarding both our quality of communication and the maps, but we hope that in the end everyone will come out of this happier and more satisfied with their countries and the wurld as a whole then when we started.

In 2-3 days time, we will be releasing a second questionnaire regarding these proposed changes and to give you enough time to come to some conclusions about the proposal. If all goes well we will be able to begin work on the climate maps and as well join up with members of the community directly to begin work on maps for historic migration, modern day cultures, and distribution of cultures. But all in due time.

FlatEurthConfirmed.png

If another island makes more sense, then please do add it.

Great work, though!

• 3 weeks later...

👏 Climate Gang Update 3: 2 Fast 2 Furious 👏

So I'd like the begin this will an apology for lack of updates from the group. Many of us have been busy irl and unable to contribute to the project. Hopefully in the near future we can get back on our feet. There were only four people who actually did the questionnaire, so the QnA for this update will be small, along with changes made. Firstly I would like to introduce map V3.0 and all the changes done to it from V2.3. I should also say the vote on Antargis is over, with just under 74% voting in favour of the new design over the old.

Blank_Eurth.png

-Fjallshima and Esonice were reverted to their original spots, don't know why they were changed - most likely an error on our part.

-Inland seas added back to Alharu, they were always returning but temporarily removed to help with modifying terrain. We considered changing them to align more closely with topography shown in Version 1 but the cost-benefits would be minimal.

-An island was moved to aid Little Adapty with the bridge from Europa to Argis.

unknown.png   (From Iceland to Greenland is 1179 km.)

-A new inland sea was added to Europe at the request of @Gallambria for the second nation he is working on (Bashan) which defines the southern border of Bashan (green) and the northern border of the NPC Qubdi (red).

Blank_Eurth.png

QnA time! - The first question was an actual question asked, the ones after are to help with clarification.

"[Regarding Antargis] Is it all coastline? Or is pack ice included?"
The current Antargis continent is just the landmass until a climate map is resolved. If you require ice shelves for something, they are most likely to form in the gulfs and bays within Antargis.

"Who has the final decision on my country's climate?"
You! If you don't like any of the proposed climates for your nation and/or you wish to remain with your current climate, that is 100% okay and the end product climate map will accommodate for that whether it's realistic or not. Our goal isn't to force changes upon people but to aid in standardising the current maps and adding more realism when possible to make things less confusing for newer members. The latter may not be obvious now but our end product maps will be designed in such a way as to be easily readable and understood to those who don't know much about the subject of climates / continental shelves / etc.

"I still don't like the new Antargis! My science base will have to move now!"
Although no one has stated this outright, the next couple days will be the last time to say anything related to your positions on Antargis. If you feel strongly against the new Antargis due to your plans to set up a Military or Scientific base on Antargis (or planning to) in a specific location, we will happily stitch the old part of the coastline your military base was/will be on to the new map in as close to it's original location as possible. As stated above our goal isn't to force changes which is why this option is open. But you *will* need to tell us soon as this is the final draft (unless someone asks for an island / remove an island / ask for changes) that will be shown to the public until we have drafts for climates and the like ready.

FlatEurthConfirmed.png

Edited by Metztlitlaca (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all! ^^

I would have a liiiiittle request for a little part of the map :D

If would be possible to move the big island near the anatean penisula from here

1.png

to there:

2.png

mostly because i just want a lil island for an rp reason (have an only island military base/secret military base for one of my sub-plots of my country) and mostly cause the island there wouldn't fit so well, when instead if put near the other one already existing is more fitting because it seems a fractured island :D

Of course i'm aware that relocating that island would remove some territory from my nation, but i'm oke with that so i don't have problems nor i don't want to have so much land at the beginning :D 

• 1 month later...

Been a while since anybody has talked about climate - I think @Metztlitlaca's compromise really worked!  I just have one request specific to the climatologists (Metz and @Heiheguo), would it be possible to have the entire Salvian peninsula as Csa?  As it stands, only a bit less than half is is right now while I'd like it to extend farther south and west.  Would this be possible?

Edited by Salvia (see edit history)
2 hours ago, Salvia said:

Been a while since anybody has talked about climate - I think @Metztlitlaca's compromise really worked!  I just have one request specific to the climatologists (Metz and @Heiheguo), would it be possible to have the entire Salvian peninsula as Csa?  As it stands, only a bit less than half is is right now while I'd like it to extend farther south and west.  Would this be possible?

Gosh.

Demanding.

:P

• 5 weeks later...