[OOC] Reap the Whirlwind

@Derthalen@Sayf@Seylos@Mauridiviah@Limonaia@Adaptus

Reap the Whirlwind: The War on Derthalen

It's that time of year again, folks. Time for the region to gear up for a new dogpile war RP. This time, our lucky victi-er, opponent is the Empire of Derthalen, who in our recent Dolch See thread, decided to sell 1000 Limonaian tourists into slavery, along with the ship's officers and crew. Now, this is, of course, a big no-no, so, the following countries will be declaring war at the outset:

• Limonaia
  • Sayf
  • Seylos
  • Fulgistan

Mauridiviah and possibly Adaptus may follow suit in declaring war, at their discretion. Currently, the objectives of the coalition are to:

1. Secure the Dolch See and Seylosian home islands from Derthaler piracy
  2. Mount a punitive, offensive attack on the Derthaler mainland
  3. After subduing the Derthaler military, negotiate terms of occupation and postwar relations
  4. Occupy portions of Derthalen to monitor the potential slave trade and piracy

This RP will also be the catalyst for the IC formation of AFMS, the Alliance for Mutual Security, a defense pact that's been brought up numerous times on the Discord that finally gets to be properly RP'd and birthed onto our lovely Eurth.

I think it's now best to turn over the floor to @Derthalen for his words on the matter.

We will also participate in the aid of those who need assistance in the possibility of conflict. Our desire is to see Derthalen criminal activity reprimanded, not to further violence and bloodshed in the name of peace. Our request is for the use of military force to improve quality of life for citizens in and around Derthalen, not to subject them to more injustice.

Edited by Bulgenstaz
Modifying stance to humanitarianism rather than condoning military invasion. (see edit history)

So...

Why the hell did @Derthalen do that?

This is why @Adaptus should never have encouraged them by striking a trade agreement with them.

Both Tagmatium and @Orioni have been maintaining an embargo against Derthalen since their last bout of foolishness. We shall see if the Tagmatine embargo becomes something more.

As I said on Discord:

But the bison 😧

I'd love to get involved in this somehow, as it seems like a cracking RP rife with good writers, but Prymont wouldn't be able to justify more military action after taking over the Hellenic Rus and then the Verde Blockade earlier in the year. Hopefully we get a solid conflict RP that doesn't crumble in the early stages like others have. 

What I'm interested to know is who @Derthalen will call on for support. 4 vs 1 will already be an almost insurmountable challenge, but if it becomes 6 vs 1, Derthalen stands no chance. I understand @Rihan could get involved but even then, 6 vs 2 doesn't go. 

Anywho... anyone need some planes?

Edited by Prymont (see edit history)

At bare minimum the nations that have a 100% bone to pick with Derthalen would be

1. Limonaia due to the obvious ocean liner
  2. Seylos since the liner was passing through its seas (and if that ocean liner was heading to Seylos it would have undoubtedly contained a large amount of Seylosians) and it has an obvious duty to protect shipping lanes to its country
  3. Adaptus since Derthalen would be violating its treaties.

Other nations are either people with a sort of "50% casus belli" or would be allies to call in once war has broken out.

@Seylos, these things are meant to be organised events. I was fine with this being between myself, you, Limonaia, and Fulgistan, but now it is just spiralling out. I probably going to just back-pedal and change what happened at the rate things are going. 

I think this has been a long time coming. Girkmand is naturally more aligned with the coalition, but will not support neither side directly.

You'll want to remember what you are dealing with: a militarized society of 29 million fanatics and a standing army of 400,000 zealots with a navy to match. All on their own turf.

Even if their equipment is outdated, you're facing a war of attrition and annihilation. The best comparison would be the Allied war plans to invade mainland Japan during WW2 (Derth being a Germanic nation, you could also apply the desperate defense of Nazi Germany in 1944-1945).

1 hour ago, Seylos said:

At bare minimum the nations that have a 100% bone to pick with Derthalen would be

1. Limonaia due to the obvious ocean liner
  2. Seylos since the liner was passing through its seas (and if that ocean liner was heading to Seylos it would have undoubtedly contained a large amount of Seylosians) and it has an obvious duty to protect shipping lanes to its country
  3. Adaptus since Derthalen would be violating its treaties.

Other nations are either people with a sort of "50% casus belli" or would be allies to call in once war has broken out.

I'll point out that three other nations are maintaining sanctions again Derthalen due to exactly this sort of behaviour.

They probably ought to be more pissed off than they are with Adaptus because, arguably, their treaty encouraged Derthalen to continue on its merry way. Adaptus unilaterally broke the sanctions and some of the blame for this (ICly) can be laid at their door.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:51 PM, Rihan said:

I mean...the only nation that is probably going to come to Derthalen's aid is likely to be me...from all the way down south and even my reasoning for doing so at the moment is very light.

Maybe entirety of Rihan is overcome by some sort of mass delirium that manifests as extreme sado-masochistic impulses?

Because why the sh*t would any sane country come to the aid of another that is kidnapping and enslaving a third country's citizens scant months after having narrowly avoided a curb-stomping for that same behaviour?

Really, Derthalen has dug itself a yawning hole and teeters on the brink. I appreciate that Derth himself is not willing to have his country smashed in a dogpile. It would also likely be a hard fight to win for any opponents, but the behaviour of his government is, frankly, asking for it. Not in a weird "She was wearing revealing clothes" way but in a "Stop me, I'm a slasher" way.

If Derth's government is willing to kidnap Limonaians like this - after a half-dozen nations threatened war if that sort of sh*t continued - then where, exactly, would it stop?

Clearly there is something very rotten and very twisted at the heart of Heinrichstadt and drastic surgery may well be the only option to save the patient.

Wish I would've known about this earlier, I'd love to be part of this but not sure of how in detail I would. I will think on it a couple of days and declare how involved I will be on this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Howdy, folks. Obviously, war's been declared. We'll be outlining what this means for the RP below.

Since last we made progress on this RP as a concept, there's been some changes to it. Most notably:

1. The absence of Derthalen as a player character
2. The placing of Rhodellia
3. The war goals of the coalition

Firstly, I speak for the group when I say that, in the absence of Derthalen, we'd like to ask @Iverica, if willing, to take on the role of OPFOR in ROTW.

Secondly, I also speak for all members of the coalition when I ask that the military participation of the Kingdom of @Rhodellia be heavily limited.

Third, and lastly, we've developed a new plan thusly:

1. Securing air and naval superiority in the Dolch and over Derthalen's coastline

2. Mounting an amphibious landing on the southern shores of Derthalen

3. Overland, attack towards Heinrichstadt and capture the capital with all speed.

4. Respond to developing counterattacks as needed (also applies to previous 4)

5. Obtain unconditional surrender, or nearest equivalent

6. Divide and occupy the country

7. Formally declare the Alliance for Mutual Security

8. (Long term) Establish a constitutional republic in Derthalen under AFMS/UEL supervision.

We're happy to hear feedback on this plan from the RP Moderators and adjust it as needed. Thanks, y'all.

Hi everyone, OPFOR for this RP here.

To give everyone an idea of how I will be approaching this, I've decided to highlight some premises I'll be RPing under:

• Reactionary: apart from the likely few counter-offensives Derthaler forces will attempt to launch, I will mostly be taking my cues from you lot--this means that I'll leave most of the planning for big events in your collective hands. my contribution will mostly be responses to your scenarios in prose form. Expect limited, but still somewhat present strategic manoeuvering on my part. Think AI computer in a video game.
  • Interpreted Derthalen: What has been written on Derthaler Imperial military forces can sometimes be... questionable or a little limited in terms of organisation. Thus, to fill in the blanks of the unwritten pieces and some lapses in realism, I'll be using my interpretation of a logical, balanced, and somewhat up-to-date (Cold War era) force. 
  • Limited Posting: Since there are more than a few players posting at the same time frame, it will rather hard to respond to each and every post. Therefore, my posts will mostly be responing to one or two in a set that I think (or that you advise) has the best story potential. Remember: I do not aim to "win" or compete here. I am just here to provide the Derthaler perspective of things and give some reasonable token manouevering.

Naturally, all of the above is open to discussion. Ask me on Discord or here if you have any further questions/concerns. I'll leave most of the creative direction to you lot :)

Will be posting my introduction to the IC RTW thread within the next 24 hours or so.

Cheers profligates, I hope to see more than a few of you bleeding nicely in Derthaler clay. Good hunting.

• 1 month later...