[Map Application] Aurora

Nation on Eurth: Aurora
National Flag:

Flag of Aurora

Capital Name: Tavares
Capital Location: (See desired location below)

Starter Stats:

• Population: 0
  • Economy: 4
  • Land Area: 0

Culture:
Aurora would experience a blend of cultures inherited from its colonizers, the Iberic Empire and the Kingdom of Eire. Originally, I planned for Aurora to have an Anglo/Hispanic blend, however I discovered that there were limits on the scope of historical empires like Anglia, and so they would not have reached my desired location for Aurora. However, I still wanted to maintain both my desired location and the Anglo character of Aurora I had originally envisioned. Eventually, I would come to a compromise: the Kingdom of Eire would sub-in for the Anglians, while Aurora's original settlers would have hailed from Eire, Alba, Eastern Ceris, and parts of Seylos. This diverse group would choose Anglish as their lingua franca, leading to today's Anglish-speaking Aurorans. This is all preface to say that I hope I can find a more elegant solution to the disconnect between colonizer and culture. Not to say that I want to abandon the working bridge described above — I quite like how this gives Aurora a new angle as the sole Eirran colony and gives me some new breathing room to develop a more unique story. Moreso, I would like to divulge further into why Anglish was chosen as a lingua franca and how Aurora would have eventually ended up so homologous to Eurth's Anglosphere. Perhaps Eire had already been (at least partially) Anglicized by neighboring Seylosians to the point where Anglish had already become a government language. I'd like to explore a way to bridge this gap in a clearer, more tenable way.

As a historical economic center and center of trade, I see Aurora being a magnet for immigration, particularly from former Iberic colonies. I'd like to incorporate existing Latino cultures into the historically Iberic and urban areas of Aurora. With the existence of Manamana and Pecario already in Mesothalassa, I'm hoping to help develop and entrench the Latin-American character of the region, and hopefully eventually incorporating my own (half) Colombian culture into the region as well through an NPC — though that's not too high on my priority list, just yet.

Aurora would also have a population of native Casharis, analogous to IRL Native Americans. I have planned for the native people of Aurora to be entirely parallel to those of Florida — Seminole, Timucua, Calusa, etc. However, due to a lack of knowledge on my part, I think it might be beneficial to tone down the number of native groups, or draw from more well-researched groups like the Cherokee or Muscogee/Creek (from which the Seminole are already derived). Whatever the case, if the Iberic model of colonization is anything similar to the Spanish, one of these groups would have had to have been large in number and have had a well-developed societal structure for the Iberics to insert themselves into.

Climate & Geography:
The climate and geography of Aurora should be essentially identical to Florida: subtropical-to-tropical climate (Cfa w/ a gradient of Aw, Am, & Af); flat, low-lying land built from sandstone and other dead sea-thing build-up; and a similarly diverse environments ranging from freshwater marshes, to longleaf pine forests, natural springs, mangroves, coastal prairie, coral reefs, and, of course, swamps. While my desired location does not feature a tropical gradient like Florida, it should still serve as a fairly Florida-adjacent location climate-wise.

History:

• 17th century
    • Gran Viatge & the colonization of Iverica
    • Del Toro's army splits from the Narvic colonization party due to a dispute w/ Deiargon during the Ibero-Narvic Wars
    • Del Toro's army conquer Aurora and settle it, mainly its islands; Aurora becomes a refuge for those wanting to flee the Ibero-Narvic Wars
    • The Kingdom of Eire funds joint-stock companies to begin exploring potential colonies; Eirran Caisear/New Eire is created in the northern half of the Cashari island
  • 18th century
    • Eirran Caisear expands, war w/ the Iberics
    • Iberics in Aurora defeated, Aurora is conquered
    • Eirran Caisear grows more powerful, wants less dependence on Eire, but Loughrea denies autonomy
    • Chaos errupts in Eirran Caisear as the colony devolves into civil war/revolution, many factions emerge
    • Eventually, Caisear would gain independence and model itself after contemporary Argic/Europan empires of its day, with many subordinate puppet governments
    • Aurorans dissatisfied
  • 19th century
    • Orange Blossom Revolution: Aurora fights off Caisearic and Florentian influence to gain independence as a fully-fledged progressive republic
    • Involvement in the back half of the Olivarian Wars
    • Industrialization & flourishing trade
    • Multiples wars w/ imperialistic Caisearics & Florentians, outside paranoia begins growing
    • Adoption of diplomatic isolation
    • Corruption & growing disconnect between people & government
    • Military grows more powerful and Aurora begins capitalising on a diminishing Florentia
  • 20th century
    • A combination of military failures and economic/societal stagnation leads to disillusionment w/ the current government
    • General Vizcaino rises to power in insular Aurora, bringing back a Del-Toro-like cult of personality and fascistic ideas
    • Auroran government overestimate their influence; they try to eliminate Vizcaino's Partido Popular but no longer have support from military, people, or even the elites, and are quickly toppled
    • Vizcaino consolidates power and militarizes the country; he idolizes Arome and seeks to turn Aurora into an expansive empire — "the Arome of the New Wurld"
    • Vizcaino's rise to power coincides w/ similar expansionist powers of the time like Mat Troi Lan or the Mandate
    • Vizcaino begins a violent era of war, hatred towards non-Iberics, and systematic elimination of native Casharis
    • Vizcaino's Aurora would experience a reign of terror over the Hei Sea before being eventually defeated by an internal revolution & the return of the exiled government, fueled by intervention by outside forces
    • Aurora would be partitioned into many different segments, eventually culminating in the creation of a N. Aurora & S. Aurora
    • N. Aurora post-war would recover with stable leadership
    • Lax and welcoming economic policies allow Auroran companies to recover and for outside investment to come in
    • Auroran economic miracle; N. Aurora rebounds and quickly grows to become a regional economic power again
    • Aurora begins involving itself in regional matters again
    • Aurora begins to reach its economic plateau
  • 21st century
    • Stagnation and political directionlessness fuel uncertainty about future
    • Aurora opens itself to glubal diplomacy

Front Desk:

Vision Statement:

Desired Location: Eastern coast of Cashari Island (along the Hei Sea), along w/ outlying islands
Desired Location of Aurora

For measurements:

Other Critical Information:

Some notes,

• on Stats;
    • I was wondering how the new 5-point system worked? Is that something where a particular category must be maxed-out at a 5, or could all stats total to 5? For example, in my case, my original desired borders fell into the 0-4-0 stats model, but under the new system, I've had to reduce my size. I still have a desire to give Aurora these borders, eventually, and if I were to use a fifth point in land (0-4-1), I could fill out the rest of these borders through some kind of Reunification RP with the rest of Aurora.
      • As a follow-up on this, would I then split up my population between the two countries? This doesn't really bother me too much, but I do think it would disincentivize applicants from choosing the five-point model, when they can simply try to fulfill the requirements for an expansion and then apply for one, growing both size AND population or economy. Is this an intended consequence, to incentivize members to be more active. This isn't a very pertinent question to my application, just a general inquiry.
      • Just a tiny curiosity, a tangent on this tangent I'm going on which might not even be relevant, should the above not apply. If I were to use a 5th point in land, it would leave me w/ a lot of excess land area. I don't think it's been done before, but could this excess land area be turned into an NPC? Would my stats have to be furthered divvied up to accomodate this NPC? I don't think I would do this regardless, but it is a question I've wondered about in this process.
  • on History;
    • You might notice a general vagueness in the description of my history. This is intentional, as I see Aurora's history as highly malleable in order to accomodate the histories of Iverica, Seylos, Florentia, and others so as to not completely disrupt the Eurth canon.
    • I think specifically the entire early 20th century history of Aurora might need to be asterisked, as this seems like something I might have to run through my future neighbors and Eurth staff. I'd prefer to keep it around as an important part in the development of Aurora, but if the staff need me to tone down or entirely cut out the expansionist tone of Aurora in the Vizcainist era, I'm welcome to figuring things out, as I am with any other potentially contentious part of this application.
    • I need to figure (a) which outside powers helped topple Vizcaino, and (b) why they would eventually divvy up Aurora into North and South, with the latter seemingly dependent on the former. With the Thalassan War happening in the same timeframe, it wouldn't surprise me if it was Orioni, Iverica, and Andalla that ended up intervening.
  • on my Vision Statement; and
    • Honestly, you could probably disregard it. Not entirely, but I've had a lot of ideas since and a lot that I think I'd like to change. It reads, to me, like an assignment due at midnight which was turned in at 11:59pm. At that point, I had already dealt with 2 complete deletions and 4  top-to-bottom rewrites, and I had just wanted to get over with the whole ordeal to move onto bigger and better things, both here and IRL. All in all, not my proudest work. If you've got a question about my country, it'd probably be better to consult me directly than my Vision Statement at this junction.
  • on my Desired Location.
    • I've experienced a lot of issues with getting an accurate reading on Aurora's land area, as I've documented in the Discord back in October. I had the same problem trying to measure out my reduced land area, so I would take the measurements taken here with a Mt. Everest-sized pile of salt.
    • In junction w/ the above, the measurement taken might be slightly off due to new, more defined southern border I've since given the southern border. It's something I haven't particularly worried about since the existing discrepancies w/ the border are so out-of-wack anyways.
    • I've noticed that @Hanguo has just marginally beat me to claiming the island I've called Puerto Real. Ideally, I would like to maintain Puerto Real as a gateway to Mesothalassa for future shenanigans there w/ Pecario and a potential "Latin America" development project. I'd like to try to find a compromise on this, if possible, where both Hangoku and I can be happy. However, if no compromise can be reached or something else prevents me from claiming this island, I can assure you I won't start a fire over this dream getting axed.
    • Also an apparent dispute on what I've called the Arcadian Keys with @Florentia's Ocraly NPC. See above.
    • If I remember correctly, I believe I'm allotted 4 cities labelled on the map, incl. my capital. For these I'd like to label:
      • Tavares
      • Catalina
      • Ashbourne
      • San Pedro (given I am able to claim Puerto Real)
    • I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries with all these islands.

And finally, thank God I don't have to worry about Aurora not being a real country anymore. It is finally a new dawn. (get it wink wink nudge nudge) (I won't apologize)

Edited by Fina (see edit history)

In response to:

I've noticed that @Hanguo has just marginally beat me to claiming the island I've called Puerto Real. Ideally, I would like to maintain Puerto Real as a gateway to Mesothalassa for future shenanigans there w/ Pecario and a potential "Latin America" development project. I'd like to try to find a compromise on this, if possible, where both Hangoku and I can be happy. However, if no compromise can be reached or something else prevents me from claiming this island, I can assure you I won't start a fire over this dream getting axed.

As Hangoku's Outer Islands / Puerto Real have already been granted to me on the map, I'd like to keep the sovereignty over the islands.

However, I'm more than happy to work out some shared history about the islands! If this is of interest, I'd be happy to discuss further in Discord at some stage.

Hey.

Regarding the small archipelago (the "Arcadian Keys"), I would prefer that Ocraly keeps it entirely. It is very important for me because it links the Cashari island and the continental territory of Ocraly. 

Plus, it is very important to explain the Ocralian economic collapse in the late 1970s (i.e. the construction of several tunnels to link the Cashari island and the continental territory via the archipelago, running the Ocralian government). This economic collapse, leading to the current mass unemployment and growing political radicalism, culminating with the Ocralian invasion of Florentia in the late 2024 and then the abolition of the monarchy.

Furthermore, it won't even stay an NPC territory since Ocraly will be annexed by Florentia.

Finally, regarding Isla Rosario (which is the island below the Arcadia Keys), I had a few ideas for future collaborative rps but it's alright, you can keep it ^^.

On 3/31/2024 at 7:41 AM, Hangoku said:

As Hangoku's Outer Islands / Puerto Real have already been granted to me on the map, I'd like to keep the sovereignty over the islands.

However, I'm more than happy to work out some shared history about the islands! If this is of interest, I'd be happy to discuss further in Discord at some stage.

As I've proposed in Discord DM's, would there be any possibility where you could apply the lore for your Outer Islands to another island group within the Aurelian Shield? I can understand if you'd be averse to this proposal, in which case I would suggest splitting the island as another solution. Outside of those two, should neither work for you, I'd love to collaborate on some shared history.

The reason why these islands are significant to Aurora is that I have highly integrated them into the history and future plans for Aurora. If there was an alternative I could turn to, such as a similar island group in the region, I gladly would have done so already to avoid this situation. However, at this point any substitute for Puerto Real would have to shift to mainland Alharu which, to me, feels a bit too invasive of an option.

On 3/31/2024 at 7:43 AM, Florentia said:

Hey.

Regarding the small archipelago (the "Arcadian Keys"), I would prefer that Ocraly keeps it entirely. It is very important for me because it links the Cashari island and the continental territory of Ocraly. 

Plus, it is very important to explain the Ocralian economic collapse in the late 1970s (i.e. the construction of several tunnels to link the Cashari island and the continental territory via the archipelago, running the Ocralian government). This economic collapse, leading to the current mass unemployment and growing political radicalism, culminating with the Ocralian invasion of Florentia in the late 2024 and then the abolition of the monarchy.

Furthermore, it won't even stay an NPC territory since Ocraly will be annexed by Florentia.

Finally, regarding Isla Rosario (which is the island below the Arcadia Keys), I had a few ideas for future collaborative rps but it's alright, you can keep it ^^.

I was in fact aware of your plans to eventually annex Ocraly, which has already been set into motion. I'm also hoping to come to a compromise regarding these islands, although they don't really hold value to what I have planned for Aurora in the same way the islands I've called Puerto Real would.

From a historical perspective, I don't think Aurora's ownership of the islands has to have had an entirely adverse effect on Ocraly's history. I can see Aurora historically supporting Ocraly as a bulwark or buffer against Florentia, should tensions have persisted in the aftermath of Vizcainist Aurora. More recently, Aurora, as a similar modern democracy, would have probably tried to diplomatically court Ocraly, and help to guide and even facilitate its transition to a socially and economically liberal country. That would mean that generally, Aurora would have had a favorable view of Ocraly and could have cooperated on its bridge project.

Alternatively, perhaps some post-Vizcainist Aurora arrangement leads to Ocraly and Aurora holding a condominium over the islands. Once Ocraly eventually seems on the verge of collapse, Aurora might swoop in and occupy the islands for purposes of protecting Hei Sea trade (publicly) and for maintaining control over the southern Hei Sea straits (strategically). Although, that could complicate things with how Florentia could eventually reach the mainland Alharu territories of Ocraly.

Of course, I don't know how this would interfere with your future plans. It seems that through Ocraly you'll be trying to bridge the gap of the southern Hei Sea straits, which, of course, Aurora's ownership of the islands would adversely affect. Although, IC-ly, I could definitely see Aurora taking issue with that and trying to pull off a maneuver like the above regardless, should Aurora already have a presence on the island through partnership with the Ocralians.

Likewise, if you take issue with Aurora owning the islands in any manner, like I've said in regards to Puerto Real, I won't fight until a bitter end on that front either. As I've said before, these islands don't hold anywhere near the importance nor are as integrated with my lore and plans for Aurora as Puerto Real. This post is only intended to serve as a proposal for potential solutions I've conjured up that I hope could make everyone happy.

10 hours ago, Fina said:

As I've proposed in Discord DM's, would there be any possibility where you could apply the lore for your Outer Islands to another island group within the Aurelian Shield? I can understand if you'd be averse to this proposal, in which case I would suggest splitting the island as another solution. Outside of those two, should neither work for you, I'd love to collaborate on some shared history.

The reason why these islands are significant to Aurora is that I have highly integrated them into the history and future plans for Aurora. If there was an alternative I could turn to, such as a similar island group in the region, I gladly would have done so already to avoid this situation. However, at this point any substitute for Puerto Real would have to shift to mainland Alharu which, to me, feels a bit too invasive of an option.

Apologies for missing your DM, I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Again, I'm sorry that it's impacted your nation like this, but I'd still like to keep my claim over the islands. My original plans for the islands is that my country would have conquered them at some point in the early 1900s, so perhaps that still allows the islands to be historically important to the development of your nation?

9 hours ago, Hangoku said:

Apologies for missing your DM, I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Again, I'm sorry that it's impacted your nation like this, but I'd still like to keep my claim over the islands. My original plans for the islands is that my country would have conquered them at some point in the early 1900s, so perhaps that still allows the islands to be historically important to the development of your nation?

No worries, what I've said in my DM was essentially reiterated in my reply above.

Thank you for presenting the opportunity to develop history on the island up until the early 20th century, however unfortunately I think, for the most part, it won't cover the historical gap the presented by the islands. Essentially, the three critical pieces of value these islands provide to Aurora are serving as a pseudo-Ellis-Island for incoming immigrants from Mesothalassa, they would serve as a thread for me to help develop a Latin-American character to Mesothalassa, and finally, they would have served as a place of refuge for the Auroran government-in-exile during the Vizcainist era.

At this point, it seems that I'll have to relinquish my claim on the islands, and try to find a different manner in which I can check these boxes. I hope I haven't caused you too much trouble in this process

On 4/2/2024 at 3:19 AM, Aurora said:

I was in fact aware of your plans to eventually annex Ocraly, which has already been set into motion. I'm also hoping to come to a compromise regarding these islands, although they don't really hold value to what I have planned for Aurora in the same way the islands I've called Puerto Real would.

From a historical perspective, I don't think Aurora's ownership of the islands has to have had an entirely adverse effect on Ocraly's history. I can see Aurora historically supporting Ocraly as a bulwark or buffer against Florentia, should tensions have persisted in the aftermath of Vizcainist Aurora. More recently, Aurora, as a similar modern democracy, would have probably tried to diplomatically court Ocraly, and help to guide and even facilitate its transition to a socially and economically liberal country. That would mean that generally, Aurora would have had a favorable view of Ocraly and could have cooperated on its bridge project.

Alternatively, perhaps some post-Vizcainist Aurora arrangement leads to Ocraly and Aurora holding a condominium over the islands. Once Ocraly eventually seems on the verge of collapse, Aurora might swoop in and occupy the islands for purposes of protecting Hei Sea trade (publicly) and for maintaining control over the southern Hei Sea straits (strategically). Although, that could complicate things with how Florentia could eventually reach the mainland Alharu territories of Ocraly.

Of course, I don't know how this would interfere with your future plans. It seems that through Ocraly you'll be trying to bridge the gap of the southern Hei Sea straits, which, of course, Aurora's ownership of the islands would adversely affect. Although, IC-ly, I could definitely see Aurora taking issue with that and trying to pull off a maneuver like the above regardless, should Aurora already have a presence on the island through partnership with the Ocralians.

Likewise, if you take issue with Aurora owning the islands in any manner, like I've said in regards to Puerto Real, I won't fight until a bitter end on that front either. As I've said before, these islands don't hold anywhere near the importance nor are as integrated with my lore and plans for Aurora as Puerto Real. This post is only intended to serve as a proposal for potential solutions I've conjured up that I hope could make everyone happy.

Sorry for the late answer, I forgot about it ^^'. We could say that Aurora sold to Ocraly the archipelago in 1976/1977, which gives another argument for the ocralian debt crisis. In the second part of the expansion, when some serious shenanigans will happen after the proclamation of the republic (believe me, you'll reckognise it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ), and that Florentia moves in to "stop the bloodshed", Aurora could sweep in to secure the archipelago. After the... "shenanigans" are over, Ocraly would try to take it back. Aurora, which basicly invaded a territory, would have to back down because of international pressure and give it back to Ocraly, maybe under the condition that it becomes a demilitarised region and that Ocraly never blocks trade, a bit like the turkish straits in the Montreux Convention.

Edited by Florentia (see edit history)
On 4/8/2024 at 4:36 AM, Florentia said:

Sorry for the late answer, I forgot about it ^^'. We could say that Aurora sold to Ocraly the archipelago in 1976/1977, which gives another argument for the ocralian debt crisis. In the second part of the expansion, when some serious shenanigans will happen after the proclamation of the republic (believe me, you'll reckognise it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ), and that Florentia moves in to "stop the bloodshed", Aurora could sweep in to secure the archipelago. After the... "shenanigans" are over, Ocraly would try to take it back. Aurora, which basicly invaded a territory, would have to back down because of international pressure and give it back to Ocraly, maybe under the condition that it becomes a demilitarised region and that Ocraly never blocks trade, a bit like the turkish straits in the Montreux Convention.

Don't worry about it! I won't be a stickler over a late response.

This is an arrangement I could certainly go for. I look forward to future shenanigan-ing!