Please allow me to present my idea for an expansion of a small sliver of territory across my border that will be known as Chernodrinsk.  This is my first expansion so hopefully this is acceptable to all.  I'm overall not looking for a significant increase in land as Poja is really big enough but in order for Chernodrinsk to work it would have to be just over the border where geography can provide for its existence and the other conditions necessary for its survival.

Synopsis
Chernodrinsk is an unrecognized microstate approximately 2,350 km² in size just opposite of the Chernarussian border.  Established as a safe haven for refugees during the Chernarussian Conflict (1968 - 1974), Chernodrinsk has grown into a sparsely governed exclave of Poja that has largely devolved into a polity governed by criminal syndicates and armed militia groups.  Its populace is around 600,000 people many of them refugees or descendants of refugees from the Chernarussian Conflict.  Overcrowding, corruption, lawlessness, and a lack of infrastructure have turned Chernodrinsk into a very dystopian entity.

History
Chernodrinsk was established as a large refugee camp during the Chernarussian Conflict (1968 - 1974).  Establishment of the camp was in late 1968.  Situated in a mountainous area across the Pojački border, it originally served as a safe haven for those escaping the violence of the conflict.  Throughout the conflict, approximately 1.5 million people we displaced, with at least 750,000 of those settling in Chernodrinsk while the remainder largely were internally displaced throughout the Confederacy of Poja.  

As with all refugee camps, Chernodrinsk was rife with problems from the start.  There was inadequate shelter, infrastructure, and all of the problems that large refugee camps experience.  These problems only grew throughout the conflict as the population in the camp peaked to around 750,000.  The Pojački government largely ignored the presence of the camp at first, which presented an opportunity for separatist groups to use the area as well.  There would be some incursions into the area during the conflict to strike at these separatist groups but, by and large, the geography of the area meant that incursions were severely limited.  Ultimately, the Pojački government felt it was convenient to ignore Chernodrinsk and tackled the separatist groups once they were within the borders of Chernarus.

When the conflict concluded in 1974, the population of Chernodrinsk decreased as many of the refugees returned to Chernarus, leaving the population level at approximately 425,000.  The large decrease alleviated many of the issues that Chernodrinsk was experiencing and, given the Pojački government's blind eye towards it, there was plenty of incentive for many to remain.  They would soon find though that any aid they had been receiving from NGOs and other sympathetic organization would rapidly dry up in the 1970s.  As poverty and desperation spiked, Chernodrinsk began an easy target for criminal syndicates, which saw the lawlessness and geography as ideal for establishing Chernodrinsk as a haven for illicit activities.

Chernodrinsk soon became dominated by smuggling and by the mid-1980s, counterfeiting and human trafficking became significant activities.  It was also during this time that a nationalist terrorist group, the Chernarussian Red Star Brigade (Chernorusskaya brigada Krasnoy Zvezdy; CbKZ) was reformed.  Originally a separatist group within the Chernarussian Conflict, its original leaders were largely killed or captured.  Even in the wake of the peace agreement, many of these leaders remained jailed into the early 1980s.  Upon release, they largely fled the country for Chernodrinsk, fearful that the Pojački government would assassinate them.  It was in Chernodrinsk that the group was reformed with heavy Marxist influence.  Like the criminal syndicates operating in Chernodrinsk, the CbKZ largely turned to crime as a way to build their funds and recruits.  The CbKZ's primary source of income would be ransom payments from kidnappings that were orchestrated throughout Chernarus in the 1980s and the 1990s.  They would also branch out in the 1990s into political assassinations, drug trafficking, human trafficking, and murder-for-hire plots.

The CbKZ would come to dominate the political landscape in Chernodrinsk by the early 2010s.  Little would change in Chernodrinsk, except the population, for the three decades leading up to the 2010s.  In addition, little would change in the way the Pojački government treated the exclave, continuing to ignore it politically.  From a security standpoint however, the Pojački government had long since infiltrated Chernodrinsk with double agents to provide intelligence on the activities within the exclave.  The intelligence was used successfully for some high-level busts of human trafficking rings in the 1990s and the 2000s as well as large seizures of drugs during the same timeframe.  Still, being a double agent in Chernodrinsk was extremely risky and more than two-thirds of all double agents were either murdered or switched sides, often leaving the Pojački government in the dark for long periods of time.

Throughout the 2010s, the CbKZ increased their criminal and terrorist activities, continuing largely to attack within the confines of the Chernarussian border.  The CbKZ had long-since declared the sitting Chernarussian government of being traitors and targeted them especially with car bombings, assassinations, and extortion plots.  By and large, the acts committed by the CbKZ were n and out of the news cycle in a day or two at most.  These incidents, while problematic, were largely small scale and easily swept under the rug by the Pojački government.  Raids were conducted within the Pojački borders and many of the CbKZ's terrorists were arrested or killed over the years yet, the leadership and the core operations of the CbKZ remained untouched.

With the rise of United Poja, a right-wing party, in the 2020 Pojački general election, the situation for Chernodrinsk has changed.  United Poja's push to make the Konfederacija Poja (KP) an internationally-involved state comes also at a price for Chernodrinsk and the CbKZ.  The shift in general attitudes amongst the Pojački people towards United Poja means that the populace and the government will be far less tolerate of these terrorist and criminal acts.  United Poja has stated many times that it felt prior governments were lax with handling the situation and, as a result, created a "cancerous tumor along Poja's borders" in ignoring Chernodrinsk. 

This has caused a significant concern within Chernodrinsk's criminal syndicates and also the CbKZ.  Fearful that United Poja will act upon them, they have moved to protect themselves as best as they can.  Unfortunately for the criminal syndicates, CbKZ has developed their own plans.

Government & Politics
Chernodrinsk is not formally governed.  Each criminal syndicate essentially controls their own territory, which sometimes leads to disputes and clashes with one another.  These areas are ruled not unlike you find in real-life Transnistria.  Corruption is off the charts and the majority of people work for the syndicates in some way, shape, or form.  These areas are not free by any stretch of the imagination and there are no working offices of government.  In areas controlled by the CbKZ, the situation is vastly different.  These areas are ruled under a Marxist political system with the CbKZ's core leadership governing the territories.  Unlike the syndicate areas, there is governance but the rule remains largely totalitarian in nature with significant corruption and swift action against anyone who steps out of line. 

Demographics
The population of Chernodrinsk is 594,550 persons as of 2024 with an overwhelming 90% being Chernarussian.  The remaining 10% are largely a mix of many other demographics, none more than 1.5% and largely individuals who have moved to Chernodrinsk well after the cessation of the Chernarussian Conflict.  Religion is not a significant factor and while most people would identify as Chernarussian Orthodox, there are few places of worship and religiousness is very low.

Economy
Chernodrinsk is essentially a mafia state.  The economy is entirely dependent on illicit activities for revenue.  In the past, smuggling, drug and human trafficking, counterfeiting, and kidnapping for ransom provided most of the income to Chernodrinsk but with the dawn of the internet, new opportunities have arisen for revenue based on computer fraud and extortion.  Ransomware and sexual extortion schemes have skyrocketed in the past two decades as social media has exploded throughout the wurld.  While there may be legitimate businesses run in Chernodrinsk, they would not contribute significantly to the economy and business owners would be required to pay a hefty tax to operate their business.

Military
Chernodrinsk has no formal military.  Each criminal syndicate operates its own foot soldiers and the CbKZ operates as a terrorist group.  It is believed that the combined manpower of all of the criminal syndicates is roughly 20,000 men while the CbKZ claims approximately 20,000 - 25,000 persons, including those who are operating within the borders of the KP.  Weaponry is very limited, mainly to small arms and crew-served weaponry such as heavy machine guns, anti-tank launchers, and shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles.  Improvised fighting vehicles have been spotted and reported but there is no heavy equipment in the service of any group.

The Plan
The plan will come in three phases.  Phase I will be an RP concerning the Chernarussian Conflict (1968 - 1974) including what led up to it and the immediate aftermath.  This will be, as long as I properly plan it out, a considerably-sized RP since there is a lot to cover and I always felt like my original run at it could have been better.  From there I want to work on Phase II, which will focus on Chernodrinsk and its interactions with Poja from 1974 up to the present time.  Phase III itself will involve a significant event that CbKZ commits that ultimately leads to equally significant action on the part of the Pojački government.  There is a lot to happen here and, if I can plan it out properly, I'd like to run all three phases concurrently in three, separate threads.  The key is the planning of it out, from there the writing is pretty straightforward since I won't have to guess "what comes next."  It is something of a daunting task but I originally wanted my "magnum opus" of RPs to be in NS but that fell through due to some other players deciding to pull out of the story, thus I'm left with needing something else.

Statistics

• Population: 594,550 (0 points)
  • GDP: $2,220 (0 points)
  • Area: ~2,350 km² (0 points)

Map
0Q2Dmsa.png

Remarks
In closing, please take the time to review my expansion request and I eagerly await any feedback and next steps to proceed.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Orioni said:

@Poja Make a rogue province (cf. Transnistria) instead of yet another microstate, and you have the green light to proceed. Deal?

Deal @Orioni

• 3 weeks later...

Status Update: 4/22/2024

It's not going to look like much right now but that's because of how it's summarized below.  The history completed is 3 pages right now with more being added.  The goal is to do the history at least to the mid-70s before I start the RP planning so that I can plan a good amount up front before I start writing.

• Phase I
    • History:
      • Scope = 1968 - 1974
      • Completed = 1940s - August 1968
        • Background = Completed
        • Invasion = Completed
        • Insurgency = Incomplete
        • Peace Accord = Incomplete
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 1940s - 1974
      • Completed = None
  • Phase II
    • History:
      • Scope = 1974 - 2024
      • Completed = None
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 1974 - 2024
      • Completed = None
  • Phase III
    • History:
      • Scope = 2024+
      • Completed = None
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 2024+
      • Completed = None
  • 1 month later...

Status Update: 5/24/2024

We're up to four pages of history now and over a major hump in how we get from the invasion to the insurgency to the stalemate that sets in between 1970 and 1972.  With some crucial conditions established going into 1970, the next period, which is the two-year stalemate, will be much easier.  Also going to start working on Phase III and begin to work backwards into Phase II.

• Phase I
    • History:
      • Scope = 1968 - 1974
      • Completed = 1940s - April 1970
        • Background = Completed
        • Invasion = Completed
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 1940s - 1974
      • Completed = None
  • Phase II
    • History:
      • Scope = 1974 - 2024
      • Completed = None
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 1974 - 2024
      • Completed = None
  • Phase III
    • History:
      • Scope = 2024+
      • Completed = None
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 2024+
      • Completed = None
  • 2 weeks later...

Status Update: 6/8/2024

We're up to eight pages of history now, double where we were before with all of the progress being into Phase III.  The event that was alluded to above has been completed including the immediate aftermath.  Now I'm working on getting the rest of Phase III completed before heading back to Phase I & II.  If I think about it, I should be able to start preliminary RP planning on Phase III sooner than Phases I or II and then with that underway, the RP for Phase III can begin, which is where we are now.  The RPs for Phase I & II can come on its heels.

• Phase I
    • History:
      • Scope = 1968 - 1974
      • Completed = 1940s - April 1970
        • Background = Completed
        • Invasion = Completed
    • RP Planning:
      • Scope = 1940s - 1974
      • Completed = None
  • Phase II