[Request] The two NPCs on Bouenezenn island - Bouenezenn and Insmerda

Greetings all! I and @Ebrary have come together for a claim for the large island south of Aurivizh, which would be a Cyprus-ish situation with two NPCs on it. It would've been a left-over from Ebraro-Aurivizht history, with the current borders being established after the Ebraro-Aurivizht war of 1977. Basically, the two nations act as 'lore anchors' and as an opportunity for more (historical) wurldbuilding and roleplay in Yeetland. Geopolitically, Bouenzenn Island (the name of the island) is divided between the Aurivizht State of Bouenezenn in the west and the Ebrarian State of Insmerda in the east.

Aurivizht State of Bouenezenn - Ebrarian State of Insmerda

spacer.png

spacer.png

The top flag is of the Aurivizht State of Bouenezenn, symbolising its Aurivizht heritage with the Ermine and black bar, the white represents the chalk cliffs and snow of Bouenezenn island and the green represents the fauna and nature. 

The bottom flag is of the Ebrarian State of Insmerda. The Cross represents both the Christian faith and Ebrarian heritage, the green both represents the fauna and Ebrarian heritage, and the white represents the wish for peace.

spacer.png

The Eastern Part of the island is Insmerda, while the Western is Bouenezenn.

History

(OOC: The Original idea for the history was written up by Ebrary and discussed with me on his iiwiki, credits for the history of the island to him!)

The first inhabitants of Bouenezenn were Geltic peoples, mainly from Gallicia and Aurivizh. It is unknown when they first settled, but it is known from records that it was before the sixth century, most likely starting from 800 BCE as per archaeological evidence from Aurivizh. During the sixth century, Aromano-Ebrarian colonists settle on eastern Bouenezenn, who form city-states and clashed with the Gelts. The area inhabited was named Insmerda, which is still the name for the entire island in Ebrarian to this day. The kingdom of Gallasia invades the eastern-most area of Bouenezenn during a war in the early 800s and controls it from around 810 to 853 when they were defeated by the Duchy of Galivizh, one of the earlier Aurivizht states. Galivizh and other Aurivizht states rule the island from 853 to 1029. During this time, Aurivizh had been converted to Christianity, as was the entire island. After 1029, an independent Kingdom on Bouenezenn - Bouenezenn-Izel - was founded. Bouenezenn-Izel was originally an Aurivizht-dominated state, but after a while, it turned into a mishmash of Ebrarian, Gallasian and Aurivizht monarchs, a multicultural state in Northern Argis. 

However, Bouenezenn-Izel came crashing down hard. In 1503 it had lost a war to the larger Aurivizh-Izel to its north, which caused its army to collapse and its people to revolt. In 1508, in an attempt to stabilise the island, the Kingdom of Ebrary conquers the eastern portion of the island, and Aurivizh-Izel the western portion. Large waves of Ethnic refugees cross the borders to either Aurivizh or Ebrary, and the first cultural borders are finally drawn and enforced, Aurivizht people in the west, Ebrarian peoples in the east. Shortly after the collapse of Bouenezenn-Izel, the Amendant Reformation occurs, and the Ebrarian community converts en masse to Christenism and Parishism. In 1762, following the reformation of Aurivizh-Izel into the Kingdom of Aurivizh, an invasion of the Ebrarian part of the island was undertaken, with Aurivizh gaining the full island afterwards. This soured relations between Ebrary and Aurivizh, and set the theme for the future going forwards.

Again, a war was fought on Bouenezenn, this time between 1894 and 1899. Ebrary this time won the war, which resulted in the entire island being transferred to Ebrary. During the Ebrarian Civil War, the Republic of Insmerda declares independence from Ebrary, forming a democratic republic. The Ebrarians on the island form the elite upper classes, with many of Aurivizht heritage being relegated to the status of second-class citizens, much to the dismay of both the Aurivizht people on the island and Aurivizh itself.

The state in the region stabilises for the most part, with the exception of Aurivizh. In the 1940s a revolution to overthrow the monarchy takes place, and in 1964 the Republic of Aurivizh is overthrown by the State of Aurivizh during a coup d’etat. Aurivizh was then ruled by a nationalist state which did not recognise the Republic of Insmerda as independent, but rather as a part of Aurivizh. And in 1975, much to the dismay of Aurivizh, a Pro-Ebrarian president of Insmerda is elected. A rigged plebiscite is held in 1976 where a majority voted to join Ebrary. Ebrarian troops are deployed to the island, and a final plebiscite was scheduled to be held in Ebrary in 1977 regarding the integration of Insmerda to the nation. However, in 1977, the Ebraro-Aurivizht war breaks out, and the plebiscite is put on hold. Aurivizh invades both Ebrary and Insmerda, with irridentist, nationalist and revanchist justifications used by Aurivizh based on the presence of ethnic Aurivizht and Gelts in the invaded areas. While Aurivizh only makes limited and transitory gains on the mainland, it quickly makes advances on Bouenezenn and controls the western two-thirds of the island within only a few months. Ebrary and Insmerda are pushed into the eastern third. Mass population movements occur on the ethnic lines, with hundreds of thousands fleeing their homes to cross the ethnic borders, and many thousands killed during ethnic clashes. The winter is brutal, among the coldest recorded in the twentieth century, and many more refugees on the island die from frostbite, illnesses and starvation. Seeing a humanitarian crisis unfold before their own eyes, Tagmatium - a nation with relations with both Aurivizh and Ebrary - Brokers a peace deal, ending the war in 1978. In the deal, the borders on the mainland are restored, but on Bouenezenn the situation is different. The Republic of Insmerda is disbanded, instead replaced with two independent countries: The Aurivizht State of Bouenezenn and the Ebrarian State of Insmerda. Bouenezenn owns the western two-thirds of the island, and Insmerda the eastern two-thirds. A demilitarized zone was established on the border between the two nations, furthermore, the treaty forbids the annexation of either state by Ebrary or Aurivizh. The treaty alsp promises that a free and open plebiscite on reunification should be held, but this has never occurred. Following the war, the island was in complete disrepair, and both countries and their backers had to pour major investments into social welfare and infrastructure repair. In 1982, the Ebrarian Revolution occurs, which results in the Kingdom being replaced with the Christian Commonwealth of Ebrary. The Commonwealth quickly moves to maintain control over the Ebrarian State of Insmerda, with the Ebrarian army being deployed on key locations. Tensions rise, with the Aurivizht army being deployed to Bouenezenn as a response to the Ebrarian deployment, but conflict does not resume.

Since then, the Status quo is held. Diplomatically, neither side recognizes the de facto situation. Bouenezenn and Aurivizh recognize the whole island as part of Bouenezenn, and Ebrary and Insmerda recognize the whole island as part of Insmerda. Each state on the island only has partial recognition internationally because a country that recognizes both will cause a diplomatic incident. There have been moments where the tensions heated up again between the two sides, but there has been no proof that either side is willing to continue the conflict.

Economies and Populations

As Bouenezenn and Insmerda share a single island, the economies are similar. Both nations are reliant on the Timber industry, as the island has many forested islands. Especially Insmerda is reliant on these industries. Bouenezenn is less reliant on its timber exports, as it owns many of the mineral-rich hills in the west, and uses them for mining. Both nations are heavily involved with the exploitation of natural gas fields in the waters south of Bouenezenn, with off-shore drilling platforms being provided by both Aurivizh and Ebrary. However, both Bouenezenn and Insmerda are more impoverished compared to their mainland counterparts. The island-wide HDI is 0.714, the GDP per Capita for Bouenezenn is $9,264, and for Insmerda is $8,924. Bouenezenn uses the Aurivizht Pod for Currency, and Insmerda uses the Ebrarian Ebro. The nominal GDP for Bouenezenn is $38.4 Billion, and the nominal GDP for Insmerda is $24.8 Billion. Both nations are categorised as late-developing/early developed nations, but both are still reliant on their backers on the mainland for economic support.

Bouenezenn has the highest population of the two at 4,137,430, compared to Insmerda’s 2,743,240. The life expectancy for Bouenezenn is around 78.9 years, Insmerda has a life expectancy of 79.4 years. Bouenezenn is almost exclusively ethnically Aurivizht, with around 8% of the population being ethnically Ebrarian or Gallasian. For Insmerda it's pretty much the same case, 7% of the population being ethnically Aurivizht. Insmerda is religiously split between Ebrarian Orthodox Christianism, Christenism and Parishism. Bouenezenn is mainly Aurivizht Catholic Christianism. The largest city on the island, Berined, is the capital of Bouenezenn. The third-largest city, Casilla, is the capital of Insmerda.

Governments

For the most part, both Bouenezenn and Insmerda have taken the example from their mainland states. Bouenezenn is an Authoritarian Unitary Directorial Dictatorship, and Insmerda is a Christian Commonwealth. The Head-Minister of Bouenezenn is Cadou Kerderrien, and the Presidente of Insmerda is [xxx xxx]. Both nations have conscription in face of a possible invasion by the other side of the island, and for the most part have to do with used equipment from the mainland states, though often some weapons are bought from foreign markets. Both Bouenezenn and Insmerda are categorised as authoritarian nations, with freedom of speech, right to expression and right to protest all being heavily limited. Censorship is also common in both.

Yep! Everything seems good here, excellent quality and effort in this application :D. As this is a multimember NPC request and there are no other nations bordering them, I won't be requesting any consents as all required consent is given. I will also assume these are Generalist NPCs and not Expansion NPCs.

Although a historic RP won't be needed I would strongly encourage one, just to justify their existence to other members and the staff, or a present day RP on the island.
A DMZ won't be shown on the map (mostly because the resolution of the map can't go small enough to add such dense info).

On 3/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, Xio said:

I will also assume these are Generalist NPCs and not Expansion NPCs.

Just for the record, what would the differences be here (between Expansionist and Generalist)? Obviously our main nations will have notable influence over the respective NPCs, but I (speaking just for myself) am more interested in this being for interesting RP than expanding the power or territory of Ebrary. I plan on playing this state as more than a puppet state of Ebrary.

I ask this question because I want to have everything clear and out in the open so I know the do's and don'ts of this situation.

1 hour ago, Ebrary said:

Just for the record, what would the differences be here (between Expansionist and Generalist)? Obviously our main nations will have notable influence over the respective NPCs, but I (speaking just for myself) am more interested in this being for interesting RP than expanding the power or territory of Ebrary. I plan on playing this state as more than a puppet state of Ebrary.

I ask this question because I want to have everything clear and out in the open so I know the do's and don'ts of this situation.

You can read about the different types of NPCs here and in the Map Rules tab, but generally Expansionist NPCs are member-controlled secondary nations with an ultimate goal of being fully or partially annexed by the primary nation of the controlling member. Generalist NPCs on the other hand cannot be annexed and will need a separate request/application to do so, they are usually created to replace the role of an inactive member who's lore is important to Eurth, but also for when multiple members want to fill in unoccupied land with NPC(s) that match their lore.

In this case Bouenezenn and Insmerda would be generalist NPCs.