[IDEA] Longest Rails! (Intreimor to Labrador)

I think this would be an excellent way to bring Argis together into what could perhaps be Eurth's biggest RP event (by number of members). Perhaps each member in a massive thread (or a couple regional smaller ones) RPs the construction of the railway in their borders (and any NPCs they own), and those that feel left out because the railway doesn't go them can possibly take turns RPing in the unclaimed territories.

It would also be an excellent multimember thread for Argis newcomers to take part in once they join the map, as it'll only require them to make 2-3 posts and an easy way to learn how multimember RPs work.

I hope you Argisians pick this up - it's very rare to have enough members in one area on the globe to even consider a super-project like this :).

Would it not be more realistic to make it past RP so that the railway would have been built on the train golden age or 100 years ago?

Or we could do both, have like historic RP for some segments that were built a long time ago and then modern project aims to connect some and build more.

Edited by Ateenia (see edit history)

I like this idea! Good idea @Iverica.

5 hours ago, Ateenia said:

Would it not be more realistic to make it past RP so that the railway would have been built on the train golden age or 100 years ago?

Or we could do both, have like historic RP for some segments that were built a long time ago and then modern project aims to connect some and build more.

Thats a good idea, perhaps have the main part of the railway already built in the past with a Past RP then in the modern times have the other smaller Railways connecting to the main line.

First of all this sounds super cool. Great Idea and thanks for including us small/New Nations @Iverica. I really like your idea to @Ateenia maybe it could be just a Modernization Project that wouldn't take as much Money or time. Its very important to think about small Nation´s/Low GDP nation´s they may not afford it and would need some Financial Aid. On the other Hand could that very well be in the Intrest of larger Argic Nations since you would raise the Economic growth overall everywhere and benefit from it yourself. I think its a really cool idea and a good Project and the details surely can be worked out.

5 hours ago, Ahrana said:

I like this idea! Good idea @Iverica.

Thats a good idea, perhaps have the main part of the railway already built in the past with a Past RP then in the modern times have the other smaller Railways connecting to the main line.

i was thinking more of the opposite, have the smaller parts build in the past and then the modern day project would be to unite these railways into 1 grand trans-argic railway.

For example the railway that goes from Prymont to Delameria should be built around a 100 years ago but would currently be 2 different railways, 1 going from Prymont to Fina or Mokhavia (preferably Mokhavia so it can be called Trans-Canamo) and the other from Sanarija to Delameria or smth like that.

One of the reasons i'd want that segment to already exist since like 1910s or 1920s is because my current arms race thread with Prymont would get in the way of building that railway in modern day.

50 minutes ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

Is there even a shared gauge across Argis?

It really depends on the individual state. I've mentioned above that it could be a thing. Assume the Association starts off by retroactively mentioning some convention in the past that made a majority of states agree to a gauge. Which feeds into the next point. Whenever that happened (if it happened) it ought to have been done before what Ateenia says, here quoted below.

14 hours ago, Ateenia said:

i was thinking more of the opposite, have the smaller parts build in the past and then the modern day project would be to unite these railways into 1 grand trans-argic railway.

For example the railway that goes from Prymont to Delameria should be built around a 100 years ago but would currently be 2 different railways, 1 going from Prymont to Fina or Mokhavia (preferably Mokhavia so it can be called Trans-Canamo) and the other from Sanarija to Delameria or smth like that.

One of the reasons i'd want that segment to already exist since like 1910s or 1920s is because my current arms race thread with Prymont would get in the way of building that railway in modern day.

This can be done. However, its important to note that standarisation IRL happened post-industrial era, likely as tail-end effect of economies that could commit to standardised production and mass production (in America's case, also to effect rapid westward expansion). It should also be noted that, judging by most Argic states' relative poverty compared to IRL Europe, Industrialisation likely happened on a smaller scale and perhaps even later in Argis. 

None of those make the "standardisation 100 years ago" impossible, but I should note that it happening close to a 20th century economic boom would be more believable and would probably be easier for a lot of nations that happen to be less developed in the late 19th.

Overall, I think its a good idea though. One way it could also happen is gradually, with a few larger economies pioneering the ideas first of a national standard, then agreeing to an international one, and lastly, introducing the idea to less developed nations. 

TLDR: I like the idea, but can we make the details so that the train golden age can happen in bursts? This gives more leeway for other nations to decide their economic history.

-we can have this mentioned as a thing in Phase I of the RP as the backdrop to our Association.

4 minutes ago, Rhodellia said:

Despite being on an entirely different landmass and continent, I'd like to participate in this RP as well. It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd love to help out.

yess, bring the rhodellian buisnessmen to invest their fat wallets to this

2 hours ago, Rhodellia said:

Despite being on an entirely different landmass and continent, I'd like to participate in this RP as well. It looks like a lot of fun, and I'd love to help out.

1 hour ago, Ateenia said:

yess, bring the rhodellian buisnessmen to invest their fat wallets to this

I did kind of think of offering funds for this. It might help trade with Europa, after all.

1 hour ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

I did kind of think of offering funds for this. It might help trade with Europa, after all.

interesting, i was thinking those not on the path of railways could RP as some rich dude in their country that invests in this project to gain a stake of the company that is gonna own the railway.

those being in the path of the railway could also RP as some buisnessmen or company of their country, investing in the project and to gain a stake of the company while their countries fund the project for obvious reasons (those obvious reasons being, improvement in economy thanks to the railway) and of course because this will also cross commie land, a government could also invest to gain a stake of the company that will own the huge railway (well maybe not the railway itself but rather the trains using the railway)

So I'm all together with this, I'm also interested in participating. I have some suggestions for how to get around Vostau's geographic problems, and in the mid-future I intend to create an NPC nation to my south which would be a much lesser incline than going through the higher hills of southern Vostau, but that's the future. Shouldn't be too long to wait, though. Here's hoping.

3 hours ago, Magnus said:

As now an official RP member with an map spot, I have one suggestion. Feel free to implement them, though I’m not sure there perfect.

1. Add an railroad to Ateenia all the way to Ebrary. 

This would include more nations (including me, just not added yet) and include North Argis into the deal. 

This is an interesting point, and could well go one of two ways. 

The first way, there's the railway all the way from Grundvik, which would cross the length of @Ateenia. Grundvik, Mandanhus, Fjoldall and towards Magnus' land. 

The second option would be more a continuation of the line as it stands, going further through @Prymont to Canastota, winding up towards the coast and being a coastal, lowland train system. This would include more of Prymont, though would of course be longer and less direct. 

I reckon there is ample ability to do either or both. Given that all this would be doing is amending both Ateenia and Prymont's own national rail networks (if they have them), and covering more of both nations. Perhaps it could be represented on the map as the main line, going through Canastota to the north, with the branch going through Ateenia being a secondary line for those who don't want to go through Prymont. Up to both countries to decide, I just think it's something that could be proposed. 

Edited by Vostau (see edit history)
On 11/5/2021 at 3:23 AM, Magnus said:

As now an official RP member with an map spot, I have one suggestion. Feel free to implement them, though I’m not sure there perfect.

1. Add an railroad to Ateenia all the way to Ebrary. 

This would include more nations (including me, just not added yet) and include North Argis into the deal. 

Regarding the official assembly and all that Roleplay, where are we going to do that? Not here of course, it’s IC right? I think business/trade deal might work, so as Diplomacy. 

On 11/5/2021 at 6:30 AM, Vostau said:

This is an interesting point, and could well go one of two ways. 

The first way, there's the railway all the way from Grundvik, which would cross the length of @Ateenia. Grundvik, Mandanhus, Fjoldall and towards Magnus' land. 

The second option would be more a continuation of the line as it stands, going further through @Prymont to Canastota, winding up towards the coast and being a coastal, lowland train system. This would include more of Prymont, though would of course be longer and less direct. 

I reckon there is ample ability to do either or both. Given that all this would be doing is amending both Ateenia and Prymont's own national rail networks (if they have them), and covering more of both nations. Perhaps it could be represented on the map as the main line, going through Canastota to the north, with the branch going through Ateenia being a secondary line for those who don't want to go through Prymont. Up to both countries to decide, I just think it's something that could be proposed. 

AAFdr4T_1.jpg

The black line is the national railway that would for certain exist since early 20th century or even late 19th century.

The yellow line is the railway going into Magnus that could already exist or be built in modern day to connect to their national rail network and thus directly connect our rail network to the one going through Ulfheimr. The latter more likely because in the past Ateenia would probably have traded with Magnus with ships rather then railway.

Edited by Ateenia (see edit history)