The Lake Qasqatuu Affair

Qarao

Qaraic Ministry of Resources Begins Talks with MMC

MAY 22, 2003 - Following new prospection of the Lake Qasqatuu region, the Majaca Mining Corporation has announced that it has begun negotiations with the Qaraic Ministry of Resources to purchase the land rights to the region.

The Maangqu area, of the Lower Kuulna, has recently been found in 2002 geological surveys to hold a great deal of untapped mineral resources, particularly copper and gold. The QMR, up until the announcement of MMC collaboration, has held out on providing the land rights to the region, despite the great deal of domestic and foreign companies willing to purchase them.

In a statement to the press, MMC spokesman Cavier Maltez has stated that “the Majaca Mining Corporation plans to develop the Qasqatuu gold deposits will create jobs and income for the region, which will reinvigorate the local economy.” The statement also expressed hope that the deal will “pave the way for further cooperation and shared prosperity with the United Dumaaqdoms.”

QMR Premier Naalqadu Raada has reciprocated the MMC’s cooperation in a similar press statement, stating that “the Qasqatuu developments will be the first of many new investments in the Lower Kuulna, as we begin to more thoroughly explore the greater Maangqu region for untapped mineral deposits.” However, Raada also stated that accusations of “selling out Qaraic land” were “entirely unfounded,” adding that “the QMR will endeavor to create new economic opportunities with foreign investors, but will not neglect local development in this aim.”

Intern Yaaluqra finished reading out the article in the newspaper, and set it down on the table. All around the boardroom, the most senior associates of the Udaangqa Coal and Steel Corporation sat in stony silence. Many wore expressions of worry, or disappointment, and some even wore expressions of betrayal. None replicated, or even could replicate, the seething scowl of Muq Taludaalqa ngu-Udaangqa, tensed in his chair at the table’s front.

The director’s board had done this act many times before, but they still knew the danger they were in. In a complicated ritual of barely-perceptibles glances and nods, they drew straws. Head of Marketing Naal Laqasqi lost, and then focused on a point a foot above and to the left of Taludaalqa’s face. With sheepish delicacy, he murmured “Well, they are, after all, only, um, negotiations. Nothing is confirmed yet.”

The icebreaker, as the board knew it. It was, by all accounts, a fairly good one. Taludaalqa had slightly loosened the vice grip on his armrests. By consensus, Head of Finances Uyii Kalaaqat was next, and quietly added “Mr. Laqasqi is right, my Muq. The QMR is finally, now, offering Maangqu. I have no doubt that, given this new, um, development, it will be much easier to secure a contract for the UCSC, especially with some financial incentives and your, er, diplomatic charms, my Muq”

A serviceable turn, though perhaps a bit heavy on the flattery. Taludaalqa let go of the armrests, and inhaled slowly. By an inch, the room’s atmosphere relaxed. When he started talking, you were almost safe.

“I see. However, I am worried that we have grown an overreliance on these ‘financial incentives.’ We cannot ‘incentivise’ contracts forever, and their returns have been, diminishing, to say the least. You, Ms. Kalaaqat, should know this best.”

Kalaaqat felt something cut inside her with that word. Taludaalqa’s speech had that quality. She sat upright, sweating with the effort of doing so, keeping a melting facade of professionalism up against the searing heat of his glare. Recognising the emergency, Head of Human Resources Riinu Uluukiq stepped in as the reserve, and drew the Muq’s attention. “My Muq, surely they cannot give the entire Maangqu formation to just one firm. This is merely posturing on the part of Mr. Raada, a publicity stunt for foreign investors. I’m sure that after the, um, commotion, dies down, the QMR will be much more willing to cooperate with domestic companies, especially with, er,  financial incentive. This is a hopeful sign for the UCSC’s future growth, my Muq.”

Taludaalqa sat upright, finally untensed his face, and drew his chair to the table. Every board member collectively released a mental sigh of relief. The meeting was now safe. Just as he began to open his mouth, though, Intern Yaaluqra opened hers.

“Financial incentives? Is that all you do around here?”

The board collectively winced. Taludaalqa immediately regained his expression, and turned his gaze to Yaaluqra. “What?” he spat out, compressing as much contempt into a single syllable as he could.

“It seems to me like the UCSC sells a lot more ‘financial incentives’ than coal or steel. Feels like that’s all anyone talks about around here. Perhaps, and this is just a thought, you’d have gotten the contracts in Maangqu if you did any mining instead.”

The board’s silent expressions were split between desperately trying to warn Yaaluqra and averting themselves from the inevitable. She did not notice them, entirely focusing on Taludaalqa rising from his seat.

“Let me explain something to you, girl. Do you see the symbol behind me?”

Yaaluqra glanced at the matte grey wall behind his chair. An elaborate and broadly circular design was embossed into it. “Looks like some kind of coat of arms?”

“If you had even the slightest bit of pride in your heritage, you would know that to be the seal of Udaangqa Dumaaq. Do you know what that means?”

She shrugged. “Some Muq bought a fancy picture for a couple thousand stolen coins?”

Taludaalqa exhaled deeply. “That is a symbol of honour. A symbol of heritage. Qarau was built by the Dumaaqs, girl. Through blood and sweat, we made what it is today, and look what the Riikamaq are doing with that legacy. Three thousand square kilometers of our land, flogged off to foreigners for a quick payday. Just like that. Udaangqa have only done what we must against these atrocities. We cannot sit idly by while Raada and his cronies sell the land under our feet. It was never just about coal and steel. It was about our sovereignty. And while we work to take our country back, I think it would be best for you to sit down.”

Yaaluqra, against the protestations of her subconscious, did not sit down. “Sovereignty? Really? You sit here, at the head of this sinking mining firm, kept afloat with nothing but ’financial incentives,’ and go on about heritage and honour? Your great-granddad sacked Haqar, and that gives your whole family the divine right to lord over seven million people and a billion miles of desert-”

She screamed, and collapsed to the floor. Scalding black coffee dripped down her clothes, and shards of pottery littered the floor. Aside from the two at the front, every face in the boardroom was still, and coated in sweat.

Taludaalqa turned towards the table, his suit stained with small brown specks.

“I am getting a Maangqu land lease by the end of this quarter. That is not a request. You are all dismissed.”

One by one, the board left their chairs and exited the room, exerting a great deal of effort in doing so silently. Ms. Kalaaqat carefully helped up Yaaluqra, and led her out last. After the room had emptied, Taludaalqa disposed of the bloodied shards of pottery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Magnus
      An Dangerous Duty

Kasper blended down. He grabbed his binoculars from his backpack, and peeked through it. “See anyone?” His partner Noah asked. “Nothing, except white ice” Kasper firmly responded. “I betcha we’re close. Since October, we Environmental Security Agents had seen double the amount of poachers hunting polar bears, we’re in an area where tons poachers were spotted” Noah assured to Kasper, nudging him. “So this is what being some dumb agent for some useless agency feels like” He grumbled.
      “I dunno what you’re brain is talking about. I mean this job requires a lot of skill, including patience though perhaps we can try moving east. In the news, I heard about an particularly dangerous poacher named Matheo, and he has an gang.” Noah offered, trying to get Kasper’s attention. “Sounds good. But isn’t Oliver the professional agent already chasing him down?” 

“I had briefings that he was hired to take down Matheo, but not if he’s down with that stupid flu”
      “That better prove that Oliver shouldn’t be playdoing during an assignment. Anyway, catching this Matheo dude seems perfect for us” Kasper eagerly replied. He picked up his backpack of supplies, and started moving. 

Noah and Oliver started moving. They walked east in the cold weather, and even with their heavy coats, they can still feel the coldness. While they agreed it wasn’t the ideal situation for such work, they were determined to catch Matheo. They started to jog, until they reached their destination.

”Ah, so this is where this scum gang is, they better be watch’n out” Noah cheered.

“Hey, what ya doing here” a voice appeared, yelling at them both.

“Catching criminals that suck” Kasper replied, trying to hide his fear. It was too late. He turned around, and stared. There was Matheo. He was pointing an hunting gun at both of them.

“Yeah damn little people, you shall be cursed by god and the universe for interfering with my business. Now see ya in heaven” He cursed at them, and started to pull the trigger. Before the bullet fired, Noah jumped and smacked at the gun, making it fall below. The bullet then hit Matheo, and he fell down in pools of blood.
      “looks like it was harder, though more exciting then I thought” they said in unison. It was sure an accomplishment to celebrate, and one that the news would capture……..

• By Sunrise Island
      I Miss My Daddy
      The True Story of Tragedy - By Miss Anna Lasaks
      Original Version 

Everything is so hard. My life is so out of shape, and I have no interest to be in it. One day, I expected my daddy to be back from military work for an holiday. My daddy does military, he was fighting in an war I dunno and didn’t have much time with us. Finally, thanksgiving has came and they let my poor overworked dad back home to play with us. But that wasn’t the case. Instead, me and my mom received an package that included some idea and an letter that says that my father was killed in some gunfight in another faraway country that seemed like another wurld to me. I cried and cried, and these military idiots won’t understand how is it to lose a father, and family member.
      I didn’t want to live or play with anyone anymore. I just locked myself inside an room, wondering if I deserved my father. Did I? My daddy used to play board games with me, and we had tons of adventures together. That was all broken when he decided to give in into the propaganda and joined the military. I tried convincing him not to, but he wasn’t an easy to convince. The last time I saw him was before war, which was months ago. 

By the time you discover what I’am writing, it’s too late. The damage has been done and I hope you even care. But no one cares in this cruel wurld. Pleaseeee give my daddy back and bring my old loving live back.

Unfortunately, Anna committed suicide. She shot herself with an old gun that her father thinks no one knows just the day before she turned thirteen. It was an tragic event for both her mom and relatives, and they all came to the funeral. We discovered after a search team came after someone reported a bloody girl in the basement. We discovered her journal, and it only says that. This proves how the nature of war spires out of control into an tragedy, and Anna wasn’t the only one in Sunrise Island who had the same experience.

The nation continued to be shocked. Citizens expressed empathy for the girl, and even took on the streets to protest against military policies. “The next victim will be the most innocent one” a man yelled holding up a sign demanding the Sunrise Island  Government to defund the military and trash military policies. Respectively, the government has been discussing about this incident, and how they can prevent further tragic suicides. “Implementation of Anti-Depression and Suicide programs for youth across the nation might help”
      ”get rid of these military idiots. Like what the journal said. Our military is killing our own citizens!” 
      “Maybe all of you should shut up and instead we should make laws regarding fathers in families serving, it might hurt the military but it would save more deaths of our new generation”

The representatives help up their support. This morning, there has been an vote if the government should implement an law banning wars regarding wars. Hopefully, peace will prevail, and without the lives lost........

• By Andalusia Francien
      OVERVIEW
      Andalusia-Francien, or more well know as, Dual-Caliphate/Dual-Monarchy, Imperial Iberad, Empire of Francien-Andalusia is a country that emphasize 2 whole land and culture. With the north is held inside the crown of francien and south by crown of Andalusia. Ideally, the central province or royal province are filled with mountainous area with the capital of the nation located near the shore of the Marjas sea. Currently around 30 million people more less live inside the nation, with 3 big cultural group exist. The country exist as constitutional monarchy with house of assembly and prime minister holding the executive position. The nation is filled with many political struggle from the Militant Nationalist, Democratic Reformer and Loyalist to the throne.
      ETYMOLOGY
      Andalusia is derived from Al-Andalus, by previous invader that conquer and claim the land for their caliph. The land itself mean the land owned by Vandal a previous kingdom and tribe that culturally oversee the land. While Francien is a name based on the language spoken by the people of the land. Yet the unification of Andalusia-Francien just simply a unification of name to signify that the 2 crown land now is united and under one dynasty.
      HISTORY
      Recent history of Andalusian Sultanate are at the 9th century when the first Caliph cross the sea and liberate the province under the tyranny of Vandal. Most of this Vandal King of noble itself will later be overthrown in the 10th century in the north, forming the confederated kingdom of Asturias. While at Francien, the first king of Franks is established by the first Frankish Dynasty. Later on at the 10th century will be when the Francien Empire Clash with the Andalusian Caliphate, while victory is held by the Andalusian they are severely weakened leading the Asturias able to claim and expand south until the mountain that split the north and south. meanwhile with many dead nobles on the Francien land, The Frankish Dynasty able to centralize their power with only the Breton and Normans left as other sole independent yet in the end as the empire vassal state. Later on the Unification Era will happen from 11th Century until to 12th Century.
      The Later years after unification filled with many exploration held by the Dual-Caliphate/Dual-Monarchy. Other is the islamization of the Asturias up until the southern Francien, with many hold out for Christianity in Northern Francia and Normans. at the 15th up to 16th Century, the Empire already stabilized enough and cultural mix and idea have come. In this time too, the Emperor move their seat to Balansiyah as to be closer and center toward Paris and bridge for Qurtuba and Francien. A new union of culture group arise and will be called as Ancien that uphold the idea of unity between Andalusia and Francien. Thus the very first notion of unity arose from 16th until 18th century, leading a more unified nation.
      GOVERNMENT
       Andalusia-Francien is a constitutional monarchy, while the royal still held power but in reality the people are the one that determine the course of policy in the nations. This is due to avoid another disastrous revolt that might split the empire.

CULTURE
      The Nation filled with many culture but mostly 6 big culture group exist and act as political and cultural compass for the people living inside it. all of the culture group are known as primary and there many secondary culture group that accepted but not listed due to insignificant important they are as group. most of the people are loyal to the crown and parliamentary but there always be exception that need to be explained.
      1. Francien
      The one that make up the most in the northern France. Most of them are loyal to the nation but wishes for more autonomy, except the remnant of noble of old Francien who somehow their will to secede still exist to their children and descendant of their knight.
      2. Andalusia
      Big Culture group that exist in the south, they make up the most of people in the empire. While loyal to the Empire, they still wish for old Qurtuban Hegemons as such can be seen to attack any idea of autonomy to the northern part of nation
      3. Bretton
      Small Culture Group to the East of nation, filled with once natives of the land that being pushed back by Francien ancestor. They are more open toward the government and nation as long they will be leave to do as they please.
      4. Normans
      Former raider and barbarian that settle a part of Francien, most of them are extremist to their cause. they believe they are the rightful ruler of the Francien crown. While not necessary a separatist, they are known to have conflict with the government and the francien culture group. They too want more Autonomy
      5. Asturian
      Vandal that cast their old self and nobles. Most of them are free spirited in nature and more open to many discussion. they wish for more democratic reform and see that a crown as unifier of the empire is unstable and dangerous.
      6. Andacien/Ancien
      Are mixed culture group, or anyone who uphold the royal as the sole ruler and supporter of the unity of 2 empire. can be anyone from any culture and religion, but support the notion of Andalusia-Francien.