Hemahatik Stories

Hemahat

Collection of short misc stories from Hemahat

Wastan Aybes impatiently drummed his fingers on his desk, his head resting on his other hand. The Council seemed to have been yelling at him and murmuring to each other for several minutes, though checking his watch, it had only been a minute. Even Prime Minister Makan Hevia, who normally kept the peace in these kinds of situations, appeared shocked and confused at his suggestion. Eventually, however, Makan managed to calm down the council by striking her gavel on the sound block, though she had to do it twice to get them to fully calm down. 

She looked at Aybes, who was still annoyed at being interrupted. Now calm and collective, she asked him a question. “Mr. Wastan, could you please explain to the Council what you proposed?”

“Yes, Prime Minister.” Aybes stood up. “If you do not mind, I would prefer it if you all would not treat my proposal like an insult to Namaset herself.” He looked around the council, trying to get his point across. “I simply proposed a bill that would allow women to serve combat roles.” 

Much to his annoyance, the Council began to murmur again. But this was quickly stopped by another gavel strike.

“If you would please continue, Mr. Wastan.” Hevia appeared genuinely interested now, though likely because this was the most interesting thing that had happened that day. 

Abyes nodded his head. “All I am proposing is that women, who wish to actively fight for their country, may be able to do so if they so please. I am not proposing that they replace men or that they will be conscripted as men - just that they could join if they so please.” 

The Council was silent this time, giving Hevia time to formulate what she would do next. “Truthfully speaking, Mr. Wastan, I am quite interested in this proposal. But I must now ask that you sit down to let the Hemahatik Party for Unity speak. Members of the Coalition of Free Parties will be given their chance to speak for or against the bill, but the HPU takes precedence. HPU, please select a member to speak-.”  

Without hesitation, the oldest member of the HPU slowly began to rise from his seat. Apad Hembes, the 92 year old Council Member from Cafis, was a veteren of a conflict between Hemahat and Dochi tribes. Despite the conflict being minor, he was heavily decorated for his actions. Due to this, no member of the HPU tried to object to him standing up, meaning the metaphorical stage was all his. 

Hembes began to speak. His voice was just loud enough to be heard, but was still negatively affected by his age. “I cannot support this bill, Mr. Wastan. As a veteren, I find your disregard for the traditions of both our military and our nation to be disrespectful. It has always been that the sons and fathers protect the mothers and daughters. No Queen, no mother, not even Namaset herself would have picked up a spear or gun to fight a foreign army. Men are simply more physically able to serve front-line roles than women are as our roles are different. If a woman wants to join the army and fight, then they can fight by helping men - not shooting them.” Hembes, satisfied with his response, slowly sat down. His stoic expression remained despite those surrounding murmering to him.

Hevia was still genuinely curious as she looked towards the Coalition of Free Parties with a slight smile. “Would the CFP like to respond?”

Not knowing what to say, Aybes looked around. He knew someone could poke holes into Hembes’ argument, but he didn’t know who or how. Then his eyes locked onto Baq Mertew, the 32-year-old Council Member from Nutu. Mertew took this as a blessing, but wanted to make sure, signalling to him by raising her eyebrow. Aybes knew Mertew was a loose cannon and a radical, which while useful for rallying up people, was not good in a formal setting such as this one. His expression practically went pleading as he looked around for anyone else. As nobody else seemed willing, Aybes cringed slightly before nodding his head, signalling for her to stand up. 

Despite her best attempts at hiding it, Mertew was clearly excited as she quickly got up and prepared herself to argue. As soon as hevia motioned for Mertew to go ahead, she began to speak. “Mr. Apad Hembes, with all due respect, your argument is based on the position that Hemahat is a nation within a bubble. That things have always been the way they are and her people have not changed since the days of Namaset. The Hemahatik people have defied tradition for hundreds of years. We defied tradition by unifying under Nebey Meferwet, we defied tradition by forming the Republic of Hemahat - a revolution which your own family fought in. So it is really that insane of an idea we might have to do it again?” She paused as she thought of what to say next. “I also find your dismissal of women and their abilities to be erroneous and offensive. If I knew my daughter was in danger, I would gladly fight and risk life and limb to protect her. Why should my motherland be any different? If you want to ‘protect‘ mothers like me, then you can start by allowing us to protect ourselves.” She continued with a third point. “While I do recognize that during your service, wars were fought between men, times have changed. The wars of Alharu and Aurelia are no longer fought with swords and cavalry, they are fought with machine guns, tanks, and bombs. If Hemahat is to assert itself on the wurld stage as we currently are, we will be inviting nations from all continents to do as they see fit with our land and people unless we make a stand. Men alone cannot make such a stand, and neither can women. But together, we can assert that Hemahat is Hemahatik. And we can start by acknowledging that our women are just as dangerous as our men.”

As she sat back down, the end of her speech was met with applause by a few of the members of the CFP, primarily other radicals and women. However, most of the council was silent or simply talking to each other. Among the silent ones was Aybes, who was holding his head up with two fingers. He muttered “She said respond, not ramble.” He looked across the room, seeing Hembes with his arms crossed. He shook his head in disapproval when his eyes met Aybes’. However, Aybes was not interested in that - but rather the expressions of those surrounding Hembes. Quite a few of them, especially known centrists and reformers within the party, appeared to be deep in thought. To Aybes, it appeared that her little speech worked. He looked up to Mertew and gave her a thumbs up, something he learned was considered a sign of “good job” in some countries. She reciprocated with a smug smile before mouthing “You can trust me.” Aybes leaned back in his seat, waiting for the independents to get their turn.

It would be several more days of debate, filibustering, and a bit of anger before eventually, the bill would be voted on. It passed with a simple majority of 156-144. Possibly not wanting to annoy the reformist wing of his party, the President signed it, turning it into a law. Despite it being signed, it showed a rift in the HPU, as the bill annoyed many conservatives and nationalists, feeling that it broke tradition. It only passed due to reformer members being convinced by the CFO. From an outsider’s perspective, the “Party for Unity” seems to slowly be disuniting.