[Vision Statement] The Confederation of Walneria

Walneria is a country, that has seens many issues from the past and is culturally rich in nature, being almost 10.6 million people strong.

Historically a Slavic country, it got Germanised during the middle ages and early modern era. The official language, Walnerian, is a direct evolution of the Early New High German, with notable Slavic influence on its orthography, phonology and grammar. Although being 91.7% Walnerian, there is still a notable Czech (3.6%) and Sorbian (3.3%) minority. Both areas, where the minorities live, are labeled as "Settlement Areas" (Walnerian: "Sídlunkróme"), and the local languages are co-official with Walmerian there. Czechs live mostly around the rhithron of the Savran River (Walnerian: Závran; Czech: Sávraha) in smaller cities and towns, while Sorbs live in the Artan Hills (Walnerian: Atŕnán; Lower Sorbian: Małenki; Upper Sorbian: Malenski) in villages.

The capital city of Tyrámen is the cultural and political hub of the state, having a population of 1.6 million people (2.6 with aglomeration around it). The city contributes about 25% of the GDP of the country and is the one of two cities, that operates a metro system (the other one is Ssanburk, the regional capital of the Ssanburk region). Tyrámen is also the location, where the government meets and where the president resides.

The national legislative is unicameral and forms the National Assembly, which is directly and proportionally elected by the people, while the executive is formed by a cabinet filled by coalition-appointed leaders. Traditionally, the leader of the largest party of the assembly becomes the Prime Minister. Assembly elections are held every 4 years. The current prime minister is Zimón Novak. President is also elected by the people in a direct vote, but there are two rounds, where in the second round, there are only the two strongest candidates, ensuring, that the president is elected with over 50% of votes. Presidential elections are also held every 4 years, but are offset from the Assembly elections by 2 years. Unlike the unlimited number of terms for Prime minister, nobody can serve more than 2 terms as a president. After the president is elected, he has to revoke and partisan allegiance and serves as a non-partisan, even in the elections for their second term. The current president is Gyntŕ Ssvarc.

Walnerians are known for their casual patriotism (the type of patriotism, where a person watching a cooking show in a TV just says "A Walnerian would cut that cabbage better") and in many cases mild xenophobia, but also for being kind and friendly to newcomers, once they get used to them. Although being armed to the teeth eversince the armament over the threat of an invasion in early 1930's, trigger discipline is furiously followed and there are almost no gun homicides. Although over 65% of people own a gun, there is a national registry of guns and anybody wanting to own one has to undergo a safety training and gain a license.

The currency of the country, the Walnerian Króne (shortcut WKR, symbol Ԟ) is a relatively stable currency, maintaining an average 1.9% annual inflation. 1USD = ~ 15.5WKR. Economy-wise, Walneria has developed automobile and weaponry industry, as well as having a booming constructions sector. Its agriculture is highly mechanised, but Walneria is not sustainable by its own agricultural production and imports grain from abroad, although it lately significantly lowered the percentage of the imported grain.

There is no compulsory military service anymore, but in many regions, it is still considered to be humiliating to not serve. There is a strong sentiment of "if we waver for too long, the enemy is waiting to strike". The question of "who is the enemy" is fairly problematic, as people seem to not unite on a list of names.

Religion-wise, Walneria si a protestant country with notable jewish minority, but more people every year deconvert and claim atheism or agnosticism. Although not an official figure, it is estimated, that over a half of Walnerian population may not have a religion and claim the cultural religion as their own in the census.

Note: Ideal setting for my country would be between a democratic (Western) Slavic nation and an authoritarian (German) Germanic nation. Hopefully, there would be more than two neighbors...

===================================================================================================================================================

EDIT: In accordance with the document sent to me, I am including the numbers and point system:

WALNERIA            Tier            Exact Data

Population           LOW           10,612,108

GDP                VERY HIGH      26,470 (USD)

Land Area            LOW             ?????? (TBD)

Edited by Walneria (see edit history)

Could you give us some insight on where you see yourself taking Walneria? Where you want to see it go? I appreciate the background on Walneria in this.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I imagine Walneria remaining somewhat a constant. I hope to create a political dilema between people valuing democracy and wanting to align to a Slavic democratic neighbor and people valuing nationality, wanting to align to a Germanic authoritarian neighbor. I hope to establish some dilema of the Slavic minorities asking for more representation and a political standstill.

I am not going to start any successful revolution or a civil war, or take any militarised action, I hope to generally get the story. I hope to establish the history with my neighbors and cooperate with them on establishing some common lore, and maybe some trade deals.

I generally rather wish to describe the day-to-day life, some companies, TV programming and historical questions.

Edited by Walneria (see edit history)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Eire
      Welcome to this weeks area of focus; As most people know the more Meallángan Countys, have called for a Referendum back in early 2017, Four years on the election on the Referendum was put on hold as the surprised death of King Jòhann II in October that year and the crowning of a new monarch Sarah II. As at the time of her Coronation she was only 18 years old and the Law stated that no leader under the age of 22.9 years old can not pass or reject laws or bills being put fore. As because of this law the Bill that was at the forefront of the Referendum, So the election could not take place. On 19 November 2021, Queen Sarah II finally rejected the bill her father was about to pass. And since then the Countys voting for the Referendum have found it harder then they though to agree on what is right for the region. Most people still believe life in Gotneska is much better but a small group is holding on to hope. I spent a few days in the hotspot of the Referendum. A small village name Mistlyn about 1.5 outside the capital city. I spoke to locals asking who would like to a interview on why or why not they support the Referendum. The first person i talked too was Ms. Teagan (Tara) ó Broin, She is against the Referendum. And finally Mr. Michael ó Mahoncuy who supports the Referendum.
      The following is a Q/A type disscion about the topic:
      Meeting with Ms. Teagan
      News Reporter: So Ms. Teagan can you tell me a little about your life and what think about this Referendum?
      Teagan: Thank you for letting me speak my opinion. So first off i'd like to say I really don't understand the history behind why the Referendum ever became a way out of this mess. I was born in early 1998 so yes i'm only 23 almost 24. All I remember is when i was young everything seemed good, People loved there country my parents would go out with friends. But when I turned 13 it seemed as things where changing fast. I don't know if that because i don't understand who the wurld worked but all i remember is my dad and one of his coworkers like yelling at each other and my mom trying to get me and my siblings away. 

NR: Seems like you had a good early childhood. My next question is what exactly do you disagree with?
      T: Will first off, I'd say that i'm probably anti-Referendum is mostly because of my parents they lived thought what i don't remember or happened before i was born. But doing my own research, I found that the bill wasn't as bad as everyone was saying it was but then When you have crazy Separatist  Groups. That for some reason that I still really don't understand why they dislike this country. For one we've been one nation since the 900's if my math right that's 1,100 and something years.
      NR: You sure did your research and yay its weird why a region that been apart of said nation for 1100 yrs what to leave. When for most of its history has been in a good relationship with the royal family.
      T: Yay that's another thing about this, which again I don't understand why did the King in the first place even think about letting this pass. As his Wife is from a small village in County Chláir. And that now his offspring are related to these people.
      NR: I think most people don't understand much of anything about this topic. I mean I just started looking into it and it looks i'm not even as confused by it then a native to the region.
      T: She laughs and says that our wurld. lol
      NR: Thank you for your time Teagan I hope this lets people have a better idea of this topic, which I believe most people don't understand.
      T: Will Thank you for having me. Hope you learned some stuff you don't know already.

After my meeting with Ms. Teagan and got ready for my next one I thought to myself these are my brothers in arms and they would harm there own because of something a king was thinking of passing but died before do so and sadly leaving a mess for his teenage daughter to fix. God bless my Queen Sarah II.
      Meeting with Mr. Michael
      NR: Thank you for meeting with me, you probably have better things to do but again thank you. Okay let’s get to the heart of this topic. Can you tell me why you support the Referendum and for how long have you believe in this.
      Michael: Thank you for having me. To be honest I’ve just never felt this country cared for us yes I understand we helped form this nation but we also destroy it. And I’m more then happy to do that. I’m a f*cking 44 year old being ruled by a 22 year old girl there more people that share that view but no one what’s to say so. And to your second question since I was maybe 19. When I joined a secret organization which I can’t name.
      NR: Hmm I think I’m done with this discussion. But thank you.
    • By Balticans
      (Diary Entry of a undisclosed political prisoner in a Baltica labor camp.)

The Sky is thick with moisture and dust. The endless summers of Baltica are especially harsh, the wind slows to a crawl, and the horrors of industry linger in the air like a deadly mist. It's a harsh reality of what life is like, especially for us prisoners. We work, we sleep and we eat, such is the life cycle of whatever poor soul ends up in these camps.

I often wonder what speech, what sentence or even what word or phrase got me sent here; but even the speech which i had so passionately relayed to the millions who followed me to battle, those same millions who would cast aside a parliament that ruled with fear and malice in the hope of a brighter future, I simply can't remember… I don't know if it's some sort of mechanism that the remnants of my brain have decided to hide from me, or even the curse of time finally embedding its claws into the nooks and crannies of my scalp. But I do hope it was a great speech. Maybe I really did make a change. Maybe there's a man or two or even a dozen, who live in some backwater village that I have truly made an impact for.

Nonetheless, I remain here, trapped with my own mind, scattered memories, and countless others who consider me a war criminal. I doubt I have much more time left. At this point what remains of my stumped hands is withering away daily. I know it's pneumonia, the doctors refuse to elaborate, but it doesn't take a fool to realize…  I fought for liberty and freedom. I wanted something to change, but all I did was put the keys in stone for the past to repeat itself, and for another dam, Dolchic, to steal our nation from us yet again. For this I'm truly sorry, but no apology speaks for actions this great....
    • By Magnus
      An Dangerous Duty

Kasper blended down. He grabbed his binoculars from his backpack, and peeked through it. “See anyone?” His partner Noah asked. “Nothing, except white ice” Kasper firmly responded. “I betcha we’re close. Since October, we Environmental Security Agents had seen double the amount of poachers hunting polar bears, we’re in an area where tons poachers were spotted” Noah assured to Kasper, nudging him. “So this is what being some dumb agent for some useless agency feels like” He grumbled.
      “I dunno what you’re brain is talking about. I mean this job requires a lot of skill, including patience though perhaps we can try moving east. In the news, I heard about an particularly dangerous poacher named Matheo, and he has an gang.” Noah offered, trying to get Kasper’s attention. “Sounds good. But isn’t Oliver the professional agent already chasing him down?” 

“I had briefings that he was hired to take down Matheo, but not if he’s down with that stupid flu”
      “That better prove that Oliver shouldn’t be playdoing during an assignment. Anyway, catching this Matheo dude seems perfect for us” Kasper eagerly replied. He picked up his backpack of supplies, and started moving. 

Noah and Oliver started moving. They walked east in the cold weather, and even with their heavy coats, they can still feel the coldness. While they agreed it wasn’t the ideal situation for such work, they were determined to catch Matheo. They started to jog, until they reached their destination.

”Ah, so this is where this scum gang is, they better be watch’n out” Noah cheered.

“Hey, what ya doing here” a voice appeared, yelling at them both.

“Catching criminals that suck” Kasper replied, trying to hide his fear. It was too late. He turned around, and stared. There was Matheo. He was pointing an hunting gun at both of them.

“Yeah damn little people, you shall be cursed by god and the universe for interfering with my business. Now see ya in heaven” He cursed at them, and started to pull the trigger. Before the bullet fired, Noah jumped and smacked at the gun, making it fall below. The bullet then hit Matheo, and he fell down in pools of blood.
      “looks like it was harder, though more exciting then I thought” they said in unison. It was sure an accomplishment to celebrate, and one that the news would capture……..