[Academy RP] Volta - The Fight for a New Era

It had been quite a long day for Ernst Krenz. A day of almost endless paperwork, and a lot of work still to be done. Nobody dared say it, but everybody knew what was coming. Franz Ulbricht didn’t have much time left, and there would need to be a new party congress to choose the next Chancellor of Volta and the next General Secretary of the Communist Party of Volta. As Minister of the Interior, it was his job to make sure it all went smoothly. He had set up the headquarters, and now all he was waiting for was confirmation that everything could go through. The exact date hadn’t been set yet, but he was well aware that it would be soon.

He put his stamp of approval on some of the final documents, he picked them up and stood from his desk. He would be happy to head to his wife and children after the end of this day, and he needed to relax. As he opened the door he looked towards his secretary.

“Have these sent to the Central Committee for final approval.” He said.

“Yes Mr Krenz.” She said as she stood and prepared to leave, but before anyone could leave the room the door opened. Ernst immediately recognized who it was.

“Comrade Mitzli!” Ernst exclaimed “It’s good to see you again! How have things been going?”

Mitzli Tlatoa, a fellow member of the politburo, Chairman of the League of Tlaloc Communists, and part of the Federal Council representing the Tlaloc Autonomous Region. He was one of only a handful of Tlaloc’s who had managed to make it this high up in the Communist Party of Volta, and a good friend of Ernst’s. He came in carrying a small file in his hand.

“Things have been going very well, comrade.” He answered. His expression quickly changed from one of joy to a look of seriousness. “Actually I would like to speak with you.”

“About what?” Asked Ernst.

Mitzli hesitated before he answered. “I would like to speak with you in private.”

Ernst blinked for a moment before motioning to his office. For Mitzli to request something like this, it must be something big. Not only that, but upon both of them entering the room, Ernst heard a click. Mitzli had locked the door.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t want anyone hearing this.” He said.

“What in the wurld is this about?” Ernst asked.

“It’s regarding the upcoming Party Congress.”

Ernst thought about it for a moment. What could Mitzli be on about? He had gotten all the preparations done and it should go smoothly. But the next words out of Mitzli’s mouth answered the question.

“You are aware of who will be chosen as the next Chancellor and General Secretary, right?” Mitzli asked.

“Gunther Switzer.” Ernst answered. It wasn’t a name he was particularly fond of. With how much responsibilities Franz had put onto Gunther, it was clear that Franz wanted Gunther to succeed him. But there was something about Gunther that Franz didn’t like.

“You know he’ll just be more of the same?” Mitzli said.

“I know full well what he stands for.” Ernst knew better than anyone else. Ernst was a reformist, Gunther was not. Ernst had tried a few times to implement just the most modest of modest reforms, only to be rebuffed by Gunther. There was no doubt that should Gunther succeed, Ernst would be removed from his position for his efforts. Mitzli knew that as well.

“Ernst, you aren’t catching on as fast as I thought you would so I’ll be blunt.” Mitzli slammed the file on Ernst’s desk. “We want you to run for Chancellor.”

Ernst paused. He couldn’t believe his ears. More than one person running for Chancellor was unheard of in modern times, the last time someone did that was after the death of Hans Krenz, Ernst’s grandfather. It’d be a massive gamble. The Chancellor was chosen by the Federal Council, the upper house of Volta’s legislature. But in practice it was chosen by the Communist Party due to the requirement of a total of 45 endorsements from either house in the legislature. Doing something like this would expose a massive chunk of the reformist movement, who would definitely be targeted by Gunther if they failed.

But Mitzli was dead serious. Ernst could tell by the look on his face. In fact Ernst had never seen Mitzli act like this before.

“You said ‘we’?” Ernst was curious as to what he meant by that. Mitzli opened the folder. There was the form, usually passed around the Federal Council around the time a Party Congress would be called, to endorse a candidate for the post of Chancellor. Ernst picked it up and flipped through the names, many of them he recognized, but there were also many that he didn’t. There were more than enough names on here to meet the 45 endorsement requirement.

“Mitzli,” Ernst started “you know the risks, don’t you?”

“I know.” He answered “However, there won’t be another opportunity like this for a generation. And business as usual will just lead to more stagnation. We need this. Volta needs this.”

“But why me?” Ernst asked. “I’m just as skilled a politician as any other reformist on this list.”

“You aren’t just a skilled politician.” Mitzli answered. “You’re the grandson of Hans Krenz. The very same Hans Krenz who led the Communist Party of Volta to victory in the Voltan Revolution. The very same Hans Krens who built the country up to what it is today. Think of it, the grandson of Comrade Hans working to continue the job started in the Voltan Revolution. Not even the most ardent of Gunther’s supporters would be able to stop you from running.”

“If don’t become Chancellor this’ll all be for naught.” Ernst countered. “Are you sure that we have a shot?”

“If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be here.”

Ernst paced around the room for a moment, considering what Mitzli had brought up. But at the end of the day, he couldn’t deny that what Mitzli said was right.

“Alright,” Ernst finally answered “I’ll do it.”

Edited by Volta
guess copy-paste didn't paste over my italics (see edit history)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Balticans
      (Diary Entry of a undisclosed political prisoner in a Baltica labor camp.)

The Sky is thick with moisture and dust. The endless summers of Baltica are especially harsh, the wind slows to a crawl, and the horrors of industry linger in the air like a deadly mist. It's a harsh reality of what life is like, especially for us prisoners. We work, we sleep and we eat, such is the life cycle of whatever poor soul ends up in these camps.

I often wonder what speech, what sentence or even what word or phrase got me sent here; but even the speech which i had so passionately relayed to the millions who followed me to battle, those same millions who would cast aside a parliament that ruled with fear and malice in the hope of a brighter future, I simply can't remember… I don't know if it's some sort of mechanism that the remnants of my brain have decided to hide from me, or even the curse of time finally embedding its claws into the nooks and crannies of my scalp. But I do hope it was a great speech. Maybe I really did make a change. Maybe there's a man or two or even a dozen, who live in some backwater village that I have truly made an impact for.

Nonetheless, I remain here, trapped with my own mind, scattered memories, and countless others who consider me a war criminal. I doubt I have much more time left. At this point what remains of my stumped hands is withering away daily. I know it's pneumonia, the doctors refuse to elaborate, but it doesn't take a fool to realize…  I fought for liberty and freedom. I wanted something to change, but all I did was put the keys in stone for the past to repeat itself, and for another dam, Dolchic, to steal our nation from us yet again. For this I'm truly sorry, but no apology speaks for actions this great....
    • By Magnus
      An Dangerous Duty

Kasper blended down. He grabbed his binoculars from his backpack, and peeked through it. “See anyone?” His partner Noah asked. “Nothing, except white ice” Kasper firmly responded. “I betcha we’re close. Since October, we Environmental Security Agents had seen double the amount of poachers hunting polar bears, we’re in an area where tons poachers were spotted” Noah assured to Kasper, nudging him. “So this is what being some dumb agent for some useless agency feels like” He grumbled.
      “I dunno what you’re brain is talking about. I mean this job requires a lot of skill, including patience though perhaps we can try moving east. In the news, I heard about an particularly dangerous poacher named Matheo, and he has an gang.” Noah offered, trying to get Kasper’s attention. “Sounds good. But isn’t Oliver the professional agent already chasing him down?” 

“I had briefings that he was hired to take down Matheo, but not if he’s down with that stupid flu”
      “That better prove that Oliver shouldn’t be playdoing during an assignment. Anyway, catching this Matheo dude seems perfect for us” Kasper eagerly replied. He picked up his backpack of supplies, and started moving. 

Noah and Oliver started moving. They walked east in the cold weather, and even with their heavy coats, they can still feel the coldness. While they agreed it wasn’t the ideal situation for such work, they were determined to catch Matheo. They started to jog, until they reached their destination.

”Ah, so this is where this scum gang is, they better be watch’n out” Noah cheered.

“Hey, what ya doing here” a voice appeared, yelling at them both.

“Catching criminals that suck” Kasper replied, trying to hide his fear. It was too late. He turned around, and stared. There was Matheo. He was pointing an hunting gun at both of them.

“Yeah damn little people, you shall be cursed by god and the universe for interfering with my business. Now see ya in heaven” He cursed at them, and started to pull the trigger. Before the bullet fired, Noah jumped and smacked at the gun, making it fall below. The bullet then hit Matheo, and he fell down in pools of blood.
      “looks like it was harder, though more exciting then I thought” they said in unison. It was sure an accomplishment to celebrate, and one that the news would capture……..

• By Qarao
      Qaraic Ministry of Resources Begins Talks with MMC
      MAY 22, 2003 - Following new prospection of the Lake Qasqatuu region, the Majaca Mining Corporation has announced that it has begun negotiations with the Qaraic Ministry of Resources to purchase the land rights to the region.
      The Maangqu area, of the Lower Kuulna, has recently been found in 2002 geological surveys to hold a great deal of untapped mineral resources, particularly copper and gold. The QMR, up until the announcement of MMC collaboration, has held out on providing the land rights to the region, despite the great deal of domestic and foreign companies willing to purchase them.
      In a statement to the press, MMC spokesman Cavier Maltez has stated that “the Majaca Mining Corporation plans to develop the Qasqatuu gold deposits will create jobs and income for the region, which will reinvigorate the local economy.” The statement also expressed hope that the deal will “pave the way for further cooperation and shared prosperity with the United Dumaaqdoms.”
      QMR Premier Naalqadu Raada has reciprocated the MMC’s cooperation in a similar press statement, stating that “the Qasqatuu developments will be the first of many new investments in the Lower Kuulna, as we begin to more thoroughly explore the greater Maangqu region for untapped mineral deposits.” However, Raada also stated that accusations of “selling out Qaraic land” were “entirely unfounded,” adding that “the QMR will endeavor to create new economic opportunities with foreign investors, but will not neglect local development in this aim.”