Renaming Dragonryders

Orioni

Question

In southwest Europa there is a country called @Dragonryders. This player was a former cartographer who co-created the v3 map. So they made a significant contribution to our history. For some more realism we want to re-name this country.

Current etymology of Dragonryders — In southeast-Asia there are these big lizards called the Komodo dragon. These animals could also be present in Dragonryders.In my interpretation the name "dragon riders" is some weird Anglish exonym, influenced by myth. Perhaps there also lived some relatively smaller Pygmy peoples in this area. And perhaps there is some old custom where the males of this area had to prove their bravery by mounting one of the Komodo's. Ancient explorers might have used that story to name the area after it.

Name change — For local use I'd keep the above etymology as the native name. But for international communication perhaps a different name would work better. Keep in mind the names of nearby other Azanian countries.

Question — What would be a better name and why?

6 answers to this question

Using the recently created culture map, with much of Europa being mapped out by @Seylos originally and then adapted by myself and @Orioni, the Dragonryders region would be under the Bantu. I suggest the Swahili People, as a well-known Bantu group that in the real wurld stretches across coastlines its a neat fit, even the climates somewhat align. Swahili's lexicon takes quite a bit of inspiration from arabic, which might be a problem, but if we can figure out which works were taken from Arabic we can substitute them for Hebrew or another Semitic group in Europa.

I have a couple of possible endonym names. The first being Kiswahilia, simply Land of the Swahili. It's a bit boring and plain so I'd only go for it if nothing else works out.
The other name is Joka/Wajoka. Once again quite plain, and comes from the phrase "Wapanda farasi wa Joka", "Riders of the Dragon". Wapanda also works as just "Riders" but sounds a bit too closer to "Wakanda" to me 😛.

In regards to an exonym, I have issue of possibly naming it Komodo, because the Komodo Dragon is specifically named that because it's located on the island of Komodo. However on the island, the indigenous name for the Komodo Dragon is "buaya darat" or "biawak raksasa", meaning land crocodile and giant monitor/lizard respectfully, perhaps something could be done with that?. I do like Pendraconia though if nothing else is brought up.

I imagine the Anglish speaking peoples would refer to them as "The dragon riders" as sort of a colloquialism. Maybe we should establish a base culture that they would be a part of? It would be easier to choose a new name based on that.

"Pendragon" is Welsh is origin, not Anglo-Saxon. But the meaning is correct.

Dragonryders as an etymology for a name could come from the use of dragon-shaped banners, as they were a thing in ancient societies.

So they were "riders with dragons" due to this.

I dunno.

Pendraconia? 

Alternatively, why not call it Komodo? It kind of fits in with the other countries name-wise and it's also based off of the komodo dragons you were talking about. 

Drakoma? I might be able to come up with a few more suggestions later.

• Similar Content

• By Orioni
      In this video, I look at why countries might want to change their names. I look at the specific cases of North Macedonia, Eswatini, Burma/Myanmar, Iran, Czech Republic, and more.
    • By Orioni
      Place names start as:
      Natural feature ( ... hill) Function ( ... farm) Person or character (Jeb's ... ) Existing name (River Exe ... ) Additional modifiers (Red ... ) Mix and match (Jeb's Red Hill Farm on the Exe) Name evolution:
      People say it in an easier way Accidentally change parts into other place name sounds Language evolves but place name doesn't Another language comes in (sound changes, translation, replacement) Extra modifiers to distinguish similar names Backformation. Something gets renamed after something that was named after it Natural Toponymy:
      Start based on description of land Originally based on language of the region Change over time Significant places often have endo & exonyms Non-natural names can be whatever (often follow natural rules though) Making Up Place Names:
      Connotations are powerful af Certain names fit certain places based on words that they sound like Direct words as place names should convey important information Bruh I love J.H.R. Tolkien (he's the granddaddy of world building), but "Mt. Doom" sucks.