Working Nine till Five

Posted (edited)

“Attention all employees, attention all employees. Please remember to have your ID pass visible at all times. Vostrom Incorporated will not be held liable for any injuries caused by security staff in the event of an unknown person in the building. Thank you.” Bill Nostrom flinched slightly at the sound of the tannoy system. The speaker was so close to the hard plastic bench he was perched on it was as if the brisk authoritative voice was shouting directly into his ear. Instinctively checking that his ID tag was on his person, (it was, as always, clipped firmly to the breast pocket of his cheap suit), Bill continued fiddling with his tie and waiting for the clock on the wall to strike 3. It was currently sitting at 2:58, and the second hand seemed intent on travelling as slowly as possible.

Bill had a meeting with the head of the regional marketing director, Duncan Hertzmann. Mr Hertzmann was a kindly old man, with a touch of senility giving his personality a bizarre mix of politeness and bluntness. Being called into his office usually meant bad news. Hertzmann considered himself a good bearer of bad news, a fact his yes men have been too spineless to refute. Outside the floor to ceiling windows, afternoon traffic roared and horns blared. Bill would sell his left leg to be in one of those cars right now, racing far far away from Nowhere City out into the leafy green forests. The blonde secretary interrupted his wistful daydreams, startling Bill. She had been sitting still for so long, flipping through a magazine, she may as well have become part of the furniture. “Mr Hertzmann will see you now,” she stated, with all the emotion of the automated tannoy. Bill straightened his tie, and stepped through the imposing wooden door.

Instantly his nose was assaulted by the pungent reek of cigars. Hertzmann’s office, although situated in the non-smoking portion of the 15th floor, always reeked of cigars, the stench having long embedded itself into the wooden furniture and shag carpet. “Ah, Bob! How’re you doing?” Bill had long ago given up trying to correct Hertzmann. He only bothered remembering the name of the movers and shakers in his department. This reminder only served to cause Bill’s stomach to drop further into despair. “Very good, sir. Thank you for asking.” Bill took a seat in the plush leather chair opposite Hertzmann, doing his best to inhale as infrequently as possible. “That’s great. Bob, that’s great.” Hertzmann’s expression told Bill that the old man hadn’t heard a word he’d said. “Now, I’ve brought you here to discuss your statistics. This quarter, you completed… 1657 sales, with a total pickup rate of 94.98 percent. Now how’s that look, Bob?” Bill gave Hertzmann a quizzical look. “I don’t understand, sir. Last I checked, my pickup rate was 96.60?” Hertzmann returned Bill’s look with a smile one gives when explaining something to a small child, or someone who is very dense. “One of your clients, a Mr Wendell, went bankrupt earlier this morning. His purchase has been cancelled. Now I know what you’re going to say. ‘Mr Hertzmann, that’s out of my hands! What could I have done?’ That’s not the attitude we like here at Vostrom. Be a go-getter, Bob! Nothing’s ‘Out of your hands.’ If you’re going to think like that, you may as well move to Fulgistan!” Hertzmann erupted into a wheezing chuckle. Bill’s face remained a stoic mask, not betraying his internal anger and confusion. The old man’s ramblings made little sense to him. Hertzmann’s cheery voice temporarily distracted him from the autoclave of emotions in his gut. “Now normally, this would be a dismissal. But, I like you, Bob. You’ve got a second chance.” The fire of rage in his gut was quenched slightly by the cool water of relief. “But of course, there’ll be a reduction in your pay. Standard for a breach of contract. Oh, and a new policy. Your medical subscription will be dropped from gold to silver. Still, better than nothing, right?” Bill’s heart dropped instantly. “But… but sir, I’m diabetic! What about my insulin? Silver won’t get me enough for the full month!” Hertzmann rose slowly to his feet, letting out the sigh all men do after a certain age when rising from a chair. Placing one arm around Bill’s shoulder, he led him to the door. Hertzmann’s gold watch felt like it weighed a tonne on Bill’s shoulder, and the ticking was deafeningly loud. “Now now Bob, what did I just say? Be a go-getter! I don’t want excuses, I want results. Let this serve as a motivator! Tell you what, if you can square your stats back up, I'll see what I can do to get you that gold again. No promises though, Bob.” Before Bill knew it, he was back in the waiting room. “Go get em, Bobby!” Hertzmann exclaimed optimistically, then slammed shut the ornate wooden door.

Edited by Smiggie Balls
I spelt square wrong (see edit history)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Caliph Tariq al Hejaz
      The Origin Myth of the Neswetej-Per-Aten
      On September sixth, 130 AD (by western reckoning), A group of Ketek religious pilgrims left their homeland to find a prophesized 'House of Aten' or 'Per-Aten'. On January second 131AD (again by western reckoning) the Ketek pilgrims founded a settlement near the delta of the H'pi river which these pilgrims named Akhetaten or 'The Horizon of Aten', in their language. Based on a combination of their prior customs, and the revelations of their leader who at this time assumed the title and regal name Neswet-Bejtew Akhenaten Sa-Aten, then began to structure their new society. At this time the Ma'at, or the Order was established, creating the modern Caste system with the Neswet-Bejtew as the leader, with his Djat, and Hem-Natjer-Tepi forming the trimvurial Heads of Government/State/Judicary. the next layer of organization is the Per-A or Great House, which at this time was made up of the Per-Nesu, and Per-Aten (House of Royals, and House of Aten), next was the Seshej Ma'at, or the Scribes of Order, who at this time formed the bureaucratic structure of their burgeoning kingdom. The next highest caste is the Mesha (soldier) caste fallowed by the Hemew (servant/worker) caste. The final caste was is composed of the unbelievers, foreign and domestic. who are merely identified by their ethnic name.
      The Current State Apparatus of the Neswetej-Per-Aten
      The Kingdom of Aten is ruled by King Akhenaten XXVII Sa-Aten, and his Djat: Wehemmesu. The current head of the Hem-Natjer-Tepi-Aten is Imenemhat who leads the high-priesthood of Aten in it's role as the judiciary. At this time the Per'A has become a pseudo-parliament formed of the delegations from Per-Nesu, Per-Sesh, Per-Mesha, and Per-Hemew. The four castes each have an internal power structure within their own houses, and forming asymmetric federalism with sub-national divisions based on castes rater than geographic location. In the modern era the Seshej Ma'at is most citizens only interaction with their national and sub-national governments, each of the four citizen castes having their own dedicated Sesh Department. The most unique being the Seshej Sesh, which form the overarching diplomatic, and business apparatus, and is divided among the Seshej Remet, or the Domestic economic bueroratic structure, and the other Seshej Amew/Fenkhu/Nehesej/Nebwet/Temeh, each representing the foreign diplomacy and business relationships with a different ethnic group of faithless peoples. It is worth noting that while most faithful are expected to have some ability to read, each Caste is only allowed to write in certain scripts, Heiroglyphic for the Nesu caste, and higher ranking Sesh caste members, Hieratic for the higher rank Mesha caste and lower ranking Sesh caste members, and finally Demotic for the lower ranking Mesha, and Hemew overseers. The majority Hemew and Faithless are not permitted to use Heiroglyph derived scripts, and use a so-called "Ateno-Iverican" script, which is a domestic variant of the more globally common Europan script. The Mesha caste has been divided into two distinct sub-castes, the Mesha (Army) and Nefu (Navy) which, after periods of stiff resistance have started to modernize once more. (A more detailed description of the Military structure and history of tradationalisim will follow soon in a separate article). The rest of the Faithful are known as Hemew, or "those who work", and the faithless do not receive a title and are thus only identified by their ethnic name. However, some non-Ketek Faithful have higher Caste positions in which case their Origin is noted in addition to their caste, as an example an Iverican Sesh caste member, would be a Fenkhu-Sesh. A still smaller, but ever growing number of Faithless foreigners have been given limited higher caste rights, in which case the are identified by adding the negative suffix of -ef to their Ethnic identifier, for example if that Iverican Scribe was Faithless, they would be Kenkhewef-Sesh. A selection of Ethinic identifiers follow, in order of legal precedent: Remet (Non-Atenist Ketek), Fenkhu (Iveric), Amew (Altarian, Colesian, or Wutic), Nebwet (Vostauc), Nehesej (Mesothalasan, Nari, or, Chenxas), and Temeh (Semitic, or Sayfi).  
      [Stats (28mil pop, 18.5k gdp pc, 250k km²)]

Primary goals of King Akhenaten XXVIII Sa-Aten, the Djat, and most of the Nesu Caste:
      Continue Modernization of the Army and the Navy Allow more royal direct rulership rather than proxy rulership through the Hem-Natjer, and Sesh Ma'at Begin to reassert the Per-Aten's historical local Hegemony
    • By Zaxar
      A Somewhat Brief History of Zaxar
      Before the idea of the nation of Zaxar had even been conceived, the vast lands which the nation encompasses today were in chaos. Politically fragmented, the land was ruled by hostile clans and kingdoms who constantly sought to undermine and destroy each other through bloody warfare, genocide, and backstabbing. Little, in detail, is known about this period due to the frequent book burnings brought about through the warfare and much of what we do know comes from myths and legends passed down through stories and songs so the accuracy of these histories is largely considered unreliable by scholars. The exception to this theme of unreliable sources is La Histori Norte which is a fairly well sourced and thorough history of the Kingdom of Zaxar from 1536-1841 written by the famed Zaxar historian Codin Maxillo and published in 1843. This is where most of our knowledge of Zaxar’s early history comes from.
      The history of the Kingdom of Zaxar begins at the turn of the 19th century when the first king of the Zaxar dynasty, Robbert Zaxar, led a pheasant uprising to overthrow the last monarch of the Drogt dynasty, known as Drogt the Tyrant. The people of Zaxar then elected Robbert to become their new king and he was given the name Robbert the Chosen. Robbert’s reign was focused mainly around social reform and improving the lives of the people. Throughout his reign, roads were built connecting the kingdom, the land of former Drogt nobles was divided up among the pheasants, and currency reform was enacted to curb inflation. Robbert’s reign lasted from 1803 until his retirement in 1843 at the age of 65.
      The next Zaxar monarch to ascend to the throne was Hectal Zaxar who came to power at age 30 after his father’s retirement in 1843. He was selected by his father for his strong financial skills and his charismatic nature which had originally made him a competent diplomat. Hectal’s rein was one of great prosperity for Zaxar with it being known as the “Great Peace” by historians. This peace was brought about due to the many interconnected alliances and trade deals created by Hectal which brought great profit to the Kingdom. Hectal retired in 1890 at the age of 77 and is known as Hectal the Diplomat.
      After his retirement, Hectal’s daughter Olivia Zaxar was his choice to become the first queen of Zaxar. Olivia’s main concern when coming to the throne was the establishment of an army which could cement Zaxar as the dominant power in the region. She used the vast amounts of wealth left over from her father’s rein to create Zaxar’s first standing professional army as well as expanding and modernizing Zaxar’s merchant navy. To test this new army, Olivia launched several invasions into neighboring kingdoms which were met with large amounts of success, allowing the establishment of several Zaxar vassal states and the annexation of large amounts of territory. Olivia “the Conqueror” reigned from 1890 until her death in 1926 at the age of 56.
      After his mother’s death, young Prince Kenneth Zaxar took the throne and immediately was attacked by his two largest neighbors, the Kingdom of Bolhetar and the Therno Hoard. All of Kenneth’s rein was spent fighting this war which is now known as the Great Flaxzar War which will be covered in a separate article of its own. After finally achieving victory in 1999, Kenneth “the Great '' retired at age 83 being the longest reigning monarch in Zaxar’s history, ruling an impressive 73 years. His retirement was part of the Treaty of Sandrica which united the three great warring nations under the rule of his heir of choice and thus established the Empire Greater Zaxar under the rule of the first emperor, Emperor William Zaxar.
      William has spent the first 21 years of his reign rapidly modernizing Zaxar as well as forging a new national identity which all Zaxar citizens can unify behind. This brings us to Zaxar today which has fallen behind its neighbors in technology, has population shortages, lacks infrastructure, and whose economy is in shambles due to 73 years of total war.
      It will be up to the Emperor to fix the nation and unite its people, or face revolution and the destruction of his great empire.
      The Primary Goals of the Regime:
      Fast-track sustainable growth in all angles of society through government subsidies and public works. Achieve carbon neutrality by 2030. Build a strong network of alliances to promote trade and maintain international sovereignty. Draft new federal zoning laws to combat urban sprawl by growing cities up. Connect the nation through a modernized rail system. Promote population growth through immigration and pro-natalist policies. Promote and grow Zaxar culture as well as parks and other tourist attractions to attract foreign capital and investments. Modernize the Zaxar armed forces.
    • By Hemahat
      In the city of Khewet, a large crowd had formed around a statue of Namaset. The statue’s outstretched arms appeared to be gesturing to the entire crowd as if greeting and comforting her “children.” However, this crowd was not a crowd of pilgrims. These were political activists, clad in both traditional and modern clothing. Some of them were carrying signs with various statements written in Hemahatik, Dochi, and even Anglish, the majority of which had statements showing disapproval in the government and the current state of affairs written on them. Others came with nothing, bar two priests to the god Anmatar who were carrying their signature incense burners. 
      At the center of the crowd, standing on a shoddily-built podium made of wood, stood Council Member Wastan Aybes. Despite being the de facto leader of the Council’s opposition, he did not look the part. He wore jeans, a camo shirt, what appeared to be a Litham - commonly found amongst Dochi but not Hemahatikiq like himself -, and his almost signature aviator sunglasses. He was already in the middle of a speech about how the current council needs to be changed when a much more well-dressed man came up to him and whispered in his ear. Aybes nodded as he then turned to his right. 
      “Sura Aldjya, will you please step onto the podium?” Aybes asked.
      Sura was a woman much older than Aybes. While Aybes was 32, Sura was nearly 80. Unlike Aybes’ more casual dress, Sura was fully dressed in a colorful traditional tunic and head wrapping.  Her age was obviously getting to her as she climbed the steps with some difficulty. However, when she made it, she was met with roaring applause. Aybes grabbed the microphone and began to speak once more.
      “As many of you know, we are gathered here today to protest C.B 24-32: New Age Tax Act, specifically Section 2 of the bill which would make Dochi clans pay taxes.” He let a murmur among the crowd settle down, possibly for dramatic effect. “I have already voted no, but I will let Miss. Sura Aldjya explain why this would be disastrous for the Dochi.”
      Sura was handed the microphone but appeared confused as to how to use it. Aybes motioned for her to speak into the windscreen. “My name is Sura Aldjya, Chieftess of the Aldjya Clan.” She composed herself before continuing. “My clan has been living in our region for hundreds of years. An Aldjya chieftain had signed a treaty with Nebey Meferwet herself.” This was a lie, but an unintentional one as it was taught as true by both Dochi and Hemahatik schools. “The Dochi have paid their taxes as individual citizens of Hemahat, but this steps into an entirely different boundary. This bill makes no mention of Hemahatik Clans, just Dochi ones.” She pulled out a piece of paper from her sleeve, which had a pocket underneath, and began to read it. “C.B 24-32: New Age Tax Act, Section 2. Noting how the Dochi have significant amounts of goods necessary for the continued development of the Hemahatik State, Dochi clans must pay tax proportional to their net worth including that of all individual members combined, starting at 15%. If the tax cannot be made in monetary payment, the state shall seize land proportional to the amount owed in accordance to its value.” She lowered the paper, letting some of the crowd angrily jeer for a few moments before continuing. “If you do not understand the consequences of this, this bill will force clans to pay preposterous amounts of taxes, the majority of whom can only pay in land. This bill is a power grab corrupt members of the Council who are trying to fool the rest of the country - including their fellow council members - into thinking that this bill is ‘Necessary.’” She grabbed the paper and positioned it right next to her head. “Well, I say that this bill and the men who wrote it will fail, for I know this country isn’t stupid.” As she said this, she ripped the paper in half to the cheer of the protestors.
      Aybes took back the microphone before readdressing the crowd. “You heard Sura. This bill will not be passed, because if it does through popularity, it would bring great shame to our entire nation.” He paused before continuing. “And if it gets passed through intimidation and corruption, then I will do everything within my powers to defend the people of this great nation. Anmatar be with you all!” The crowd cheered as he held Sura’s hand and raised it, championing her as a proud revolutionary just as he was.
      While his words were vague, the message was clear. If this law was passed, there would be resistance by him and his followers, possibly even violent resistance. Whether this was a threat to the council directly or a poor choice of words, this threat would be another straw on the camel's back