December 2020 Event: Daily Worldbuilding Prompts

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grenesia follows the standard 7-day week cycle since the country was christianized in 1054. Traditionally, the weekend for Grenesians has always been Saturday and Sunday while Moday being the beginnin

Hello all! This year, the Eurth staff is debuting a brand-new month long event for the community. Every day of December, there will be a themed prompt that deals with some aspect of your nations. The

Grenesia is divided into 12 lendas* (provinces). Zremb-Brunitsa, Tsieshytse, and Zhyroslaviets are the three lendas that form the major industrial area in the Commonwealth, commonly known as the Centr

The prompt of the day for December 6th is...

Meals! Do your people gather for  the conventional 3 meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner, or do they follow an alternate arrangement? What is the largest meal of the day? What are some favorite foods served at particular meals?

The prompt of the day for December 7th is...

Funerals! What rituals and ceremonies are observed when someone dies in your nation? How does this vary between different religions or ethnicities? What are the common burial practices of your nation? Is there anything else (for instance, wearing black clothing in the real-world West) that is associated with death or funerals in your culture?

Funerals

Most Haru are sent to the afterlife in one of two ways‚ÄĒcremation or burial by ship pyre.

To honor the past, especially for noble patrons of the nation, particular houses etc, may earn the rite of a ship-born pyre funeral. As an ode to the days of yore when the many tribes of Haru were a savage and fierce race that sailed the seas in fearsome vessels.

Cremation on the other hand is particularly common, and the most modern. Most Haru, especially the general citizenry have their loved ones collected in small tablet urns that can be stored alongst with their deceased. These are usually called burial towers.

For both cremated remains, burial locations range widely, from the aforementioned burial towers that can hold multiple generations, to statues atop actual buried urns. Depending on the person in question, said statue may also hold the urn internally.

The belief that the fire’s smoke will help carry the deceased to their afterlife. 

The prompt of the day for December 9th is...

Lost Arts! What skills or trades from your country's history have waned or even died off over the years? Is there a technique or substance from your distance past that modern people are unable to reconstruct? Are there any efforts are maintaining or reviving these lost arts?

The prompt of the day for December 11th, coming to you a bit late today, is...

Hunting and Fishing! What are the preferred targets for hunters and anglers in your nation? How prevalent is either activity, and what bodies regulate it? Are any quarries prized above others?

Region

Regions:

Instead of regions, the Imperium city-states take that term. 

Each Ward comprises ten districts, and generally a city state has ten wards. While the city thus looks whole it is actually split into individual sections with each adding to the flow with their own agencies all working as one for the appearance and function of one entity.

(Districts are numbered after specific ward, so if one were to visit. Their family or friend would say, I live in Chel de'Yorn Ward Hattusa, District 9 and then a numbered address within.)

So the most notable yet barely heard of beyond its borders is:

Chel de'Yorn, specifically the Hierapolis Ward which houses the entirety of the Imperial Districts and so on. Chel de'Yorn (Citadel of Light) is one of the second oldest city-state, founded initially during the time of the Warlord Yas'kem Adura (estimated 165), during what is known as the Time of Tears, before the unification under the First Emperor.

During the process of the Unification Wars, Chel de'Yorn became apart of the new empire in 283, just over a century after its founding as a city-state.

In the hills and valleys that surround or are apart of Chel de'Yorn, summers are temperate while winter temperatures can plummet to sub zero. 

This does not disdain Haru from making a pilgrimage to the city-state however, for many in the Northern Occidental country winter is the ideal time to relax and recharge your batteries. Chel de'Yorn is famous for its special blend of natural beauty and luxury, making it the ideal city for a winter wellness break. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, it offers nature, shopping, but also pure pleasure and relaxation.

It is also a center for hospitality, offering indoor and outdoor pools, steam baths and relaxation industries aimed to make the individual happier, healthier, and content.

One of Chel de Yorn’s distinctive features is the incredible quality of life it offers its residents and visitors (They are rare). This quality of life is due to the city’s great concentration of activities and unique places in a small geographical area. As a result, a citizen or visitor can enjoy a rich cultural and historical heritage just by wandering around.

The many wards and distracts are¬†easy to visit on foot, taking the time to enjoy the landscape and the city-state‚Äôs gentle atmosphere. Need to recharge your batteries along the way? The many caf√©s and restaurants along the way will delight gourmets. For an unusual experience with a 360¬į view of the central districts, walk to Dycda uv Bmaycina, a Haru¬†institution and, above all, a place where you can enjoy one of the best fondues in the city in a friendly and authentic atmosphere.

If doing everything on foot seems too tiring, the city’s traditional rickshaw's, will take you from one side of the city to the other. The electric service bikes are available for hire throughout the city thanks to the Imperial Ministry of Travel mobile app.

• Similar Content

• By Andalla
      For the longest time now, among the most overlooked issues plaguing our RP universe is¬†globalization. Simply put‚ÄĒwe are acting like non-globalized countries in a globalized world. Just take a look at countries' interactions with each other. Of course, we¬†do¬†have an amazing active community, but there's just so much more to Eurth than just those who are active. Our current situation is described very well by our¬†Featured Nation January 2020 dispatch, which deviates a bit from the usual and instead features¬†the entire region. Here it is:
      "The Region of Eurth is a massive, socially clumsy community, notable for its absence of moral laws and spontaneously combusting puppets. The laid-back, apathetic population of 100-ish players live in a state of perpetual fear, as a complete breakdown of social order has led to the rise of order through biker gangs."
      One can tell that excerpt was written with a humorous tone, intending to parody the default NS nation description. But it does shed light on the reality that Eurth isn't globalized enough. To this day, we have yet to fully agree on an international language, international currency, etc. There are some generally-accepted standards, but I'm afraid to say we're not enforcing them enough.
      Hold on‚ÄĒbefore you leave. The solution for this problem is, in fact, very easy.
      It may be as simple as having several international organizations to help standardize things, at least to an extent. There have been, many, many, many attempts to do this since 2017, including one by myself (eheh, sorry).
      What was the single underlying deterrent that has prevented any attempt from successfully materializing?
      Roleplay.
      Okay, okay, I get it, we are a roleplaying community. But establishing¬†international standards¬†is an urgent matter, and‚ÄĒadmit it‚ÄĒwe don't need to roleplay¬†every¬†last detail of our universe. There can always be predetermined events. Besides, I'm sure we've all seen the multiple attempts at roleplaying the creation of international organizations. From only the top of my head:
      "Starting our own Model UN" by Orioni, OOC thread that never really materialized into a full-fledged RP. It was a great idea, in all honesty, and it definitely should've been one of Eurth's top goals. Most talk about this took place from late 2017 to mid-2018. "When life gives you lemons, make GIN and tonic" also by Orioni, an attempt to create a Group of Island Nations (GIN). OOC planning started in early 2019, last activity was in June 2019. "The Laws of the Sea" by Faramount and SSI. It was the talk of the town in late 2018, then it went silent. "From Skies to Safety", my own, which was done with the help of Gallambria and Orioni (in line with plans for the UN thingy). Most activity regarding this was OOC planning sometime around mid- to late 2018, then it also went silent. "The Thalassan War", a thread that I am currently in the process of resurrecting. Supposed to be a community thing (All nations around Andalla/Giokto are welcome), but everyone except me and SSI are dead. I definitely don't intend to sound like I'm complaining. Not at all! I love it when people get together to help further our community's goals. But should it just stop there? Of course we try our best to keep roleplaying and creating lore co-equal, but sometimes we must create an imbalance so that the other side will rise up to balance it again.

For this problem, I propose we still do go on with our roleplaying, but instead turn the process upside-down.
      What I tend to notice is that, whenever a new thread is made, its pre-existing OOC thread only deals with the overview; the large details. The finer details of the story are developed impromptu, as participants push the story forward through their posts.
      What if we turn it around, just this once? We set all the important details in stone first‚ÄĒthe organization's name, history and function, how it was established, what it does, its parent/child organizations, and which nations are participating.¬†Then¬†we begin roleplay.
      @Orioni's idea about the Model UN was the best example of this; sadly it did not materialize. What O did was to first establish the mechanisms of the organization‚ÄĒwho heads it, who participates in it, how meetings are convened, its committees and their purposes, etc.
      What I further appreciate about Orioni's idea is how it focused on roleplaying the present, not the past. The OOC thread made little mention of history; rather, the RP thread/forum that would be created would instead show the UN in action, in the current timeline. Whereas other RPs like The Laws of the Sea focused on how it was established, and not what it really does.

So, what we should instead be doing, is creating a list of pre-existing international organizations with their important details already decided upon. Then we leave it to the great people of Eurth to take it upon themselves and create an associated RP thread, whether it be for depicting the organization's founding or depicting its activities in the present.
      What if nobody chooses to RP it, at all? No problem. As long as it's on the list, it exists. People can cite it in their Wiki pages, news posts can make mention of it, even RP threads can use it. It will not matter whether or not said organization is actually being actively RPed, or just sitting there on the list. Why, it doesn't even need to be IC at all! It could even be a group of people on Discord, deciding random details about our RP universe like its currency and language as I've mentioned before, then recording it somewhere so that it becomes official lore and not generally accepted lore.
      That way, we get to encourage standardization. I may be the guy who enjoys little details, but think of this. How are we going to regulate the size of a country's exclusive economic zone (EEZ) beyond their coastlines? How are we going to determine who trades with who? How are we going to deal with pandemics and medical issues? How are we going to connect the world through transportation and telecommunications? How are we going to create more diplomatic interaction between members of the community?
      There are existing international organizations to serve that purpose IRL, and we should have the same here, too. Again, it does not need to be roleplayed. The mere fact that it exists would be enough to bring our RP universe one step closer to achieving globalization and, ultimately, realism (hooray for using buzzwords).

This has been my TED talk and random brain fart. Thank you for your time.
    • By Variota
      With the new map update, Saale and Pallamara have been assigned to me. In order to ensure that IP doesn't become an issue and so that it's fleshed out a bit more, I've planned this OOC thread so I can pull in people when needed and keep everyone (including myself) in the know in regards to how it's going. I might also leave some things open to the opinion of the general community.
      So, first things first, the easier/harder one: Saale. Saale is easier because there's been very little written by Saale but at the same time, that also makes it more difficult. 
      Basic Saale info:
      Population: 11,008,652
      Area: 171.546 km2
      Density: ~64/km2
      Now, that's about it in regards to basic info about Saale. I had to calculate the land area myself and there's nothing about the economy. If I read the climate map correctly, Saale falls under a humid continental (?) climate. This makes it somewhat similar to Eastern Europe, which fits with Argis. With the density of the area being lower than Variota proper, I'm thinking of perhaps making the area the breadbasket of the nation. Its location could also mean that it exports to Argis, although the nations there are generally lower income so I'm not entirely sure how much they'd be importing.
      Saale had it written down that the nation was mostly Salish, about 95%. I think that's a bit too high for the area, even with integration/assimilation and general murder or death of the original inhabitants. Variot colonizers would have preferred to work with the local population and wouldn't have stopped immigration from other areas so long as they'd behave and pay their taxes. For now I'm thinking of:
      Variot 70% Girks 5% Valacians 10% Limonaians 5% Random Slavs ('original inhabitants') 5% Ivericans/Beleareans 5% The larger amount of Valacians, about one million, would be due to the close proximity of the nation and the relative instability found there. With Valacia not being active, this would be somewhat of a gamble and I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the risk even if it makes sense. If I end up not using Valacians, I'll probably up the other groups equally.
      Now, for the name of the land, I thought about looking to Argis and the meaning of the word but seeing as Argis means white... Whiteland or something like that just ends up sounding unintentionally offensive for a place not in an arctic climate. Keelpijpkolonie (Keelpijp Colony) sounds reasonable with the location of Herenthem being where it is, although I feel like that's a bit impersonal; after all, I don't expect people to live in a place for hundreds of years without wanting their own name. This could be circumvented a bit by just naming the area the Keelpijpkolonies and having smaller areas get their own names; this would also allow certain areas to get more foreign-names as places could have been founded by the other ethnicities. That'd also be somewhat close to what Saale intended for his nation, as far as I can tell.
      In regards to history, I'm looking at the area being colonized relatively early in my history. This would be driven on by the rapid expansion of Variota proper, mostly along the coast as they'd have less experience working the land, and the influx of new clans and what not; the Keelpijpkolonies would serve as a way to get new fishing grounds and a way to trade for produce and other needed goods from the inhabitants. This goal of the Keelpijpkolonies serving as the breadbasket would continue on to modern times.
      Beyond that, I feel that genuine integration of the area as an equal part of the nation instead of a colony would come after Klan Reierfer was integrated. Potentially, the start of the industrial revolution and such could be a reason for this as well; with Variota proper moving more towards urbanization and industrialization, the area's breadbasket status would become even more important. Their status would probably be semi-autonomous, higher than the various provinces but lower than, say, Lukinagrad or the Klan Reierfer
      If anyone has any interesting ideas, feel free to mention them. I'm open to brainstorming in that regard. Also tagging @Valacia, @Girkmand, @Limonaia, @Iverica and @Beleareas in regards to their people being named as part of the area. In case you don't want any of your people in my lands, just say so.
    • By Greater Serbia
      So I've got some time on my hands this week and was wondering if there's any good way that I can participate again in RP again. Dunno if Chariot of Civility is too old to resume or something like that.