• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cpl. Elena
-
Godamnit, one more packet of corn crackers for breakfast! My goodness, a little variety! -

Cpl. Jordan
-
Eh eh, i'm sorry Elena. If it were up to me I would immediately take you for breakfast in a coffee shop, too bad that the closest one was blown up 2 days ago by a bomb, and the one down the street has Ruthenian machine gunners inside it ah ah! -

Cpl. Elena
-
Thanks for reminding me what a mess of a place I find myself in, Jordan. -

In war there were those who went crazy just hearing the din of an impending battle, the sight of dead soldiers covering the ground, or the whistle of a falling bomb, making you unable to understand if it would kill you or one of your fellow soldiers... but for me the only thing that drove me crazy in that damned besieged city was... the absence of a decent and varied meal, damn it!
The "great Ruthenian offensive that would have wiped out the invading Anatean dogs from San Palia", according to the propaganda of Radio Debalsteve, had run aground in the ruins of the city and its surroundings. In that chaos of debris the positions of both sides could not gain even a meter, and if they did, the victory lasted only a few hours, before the position was lost again. We thought that this situation reigned only here in San Palia, but apparently the other units on the entire Dalstavian front were not doing well either.
The allied reinforcements had certainly arrived, and surprise attacks carried out by our air force or those behind enemy lines by Free Dalstavia managed to prevent the Ruthenians from preparing large offensives, but the enemy also received reinforcements and like us tried to prevent supplies and new troops to arrive at our respective positions.
We were literally stuck in a positional warfare.
The only things my teammate Jordan and I could do were reconnaissances and assassinations of officers or machine gunners. As snipers we couldn't do much, but these small surgical cuts to the enemy chain of command or some strategic positions managed to buy us time to prepare some offensive and weaken the enemy in some key points. Certainly the enemy was not stupid, and they used their snipers how and where they wanted too, so much that San Palia had been renamed by the captured Ruthenian prisoners "Gnezdo paukov", which meant "Spider's nest". There couldn't have been a perfect nickname like that.
Wherever you went you always had a crosshair that kept an eye on you, an ally or enemy one.
That afternoon Captain Alberti called us back from the front line to assign us a task, certainly one of the many reconnaissance that we had to do between the enemy lines, but when we arrived at the improvised command post we were told something else.

Cpt. Alberti
- Here we are again guys, I would have warned you on the radio but we found out yesterday that the Ruths' are playing "Guess the radio frequency of the enemy". They took out Schiavo's entire team with an ambush during a reconnaissance after we ordered it over the radio. Call me paranoid, but I don't want to risk another disaster. -

explained Captain Alberti, a big giant who at first looked like a first-rate bastard, but who after a few weeks treated you like his equal despite being in the army. A person to be respected in the midst of all this mess, always ready not to unnecessarily risk the lives of his men.

Cpt. Alberti
- You absolutely have to head to Liberty Square. The next attack will be there, and it will happen in the next few days. We don't know how the hell the enemy is entrenched and aerial reconnaissance, as far as they can, don't say much. I know it's one of the usual reconnaissance missions that i give you, but this time there is something big at stake. -

Cpl. Jordan
- I can imagine, Captain. We will try not to get caught. -

Cpt. Alberti
- I hope so, the area is full of Ruths' ... it will be risky but please keep your eyes peeled, and for the whole mission no radio, we can't risk anything. Good luck... -

Alberti finished, shaking our hands. A lot of things were at stake, but if we could complete this stupid task, we could unblock the situation.

Cpl. Jordan
- Do you think all this mess will really do any good? -

Cpl. Elena
- I don't know, it looks like just another suicide reconnaissance to me. -

Cpl. Jordan
- That' s why i' m aksing, every action always looks the same and never changes anything. But ... this time Alberti seemed very serious. Maybe because he lost Schiavo and the others, but it really seemed that there was something important at stake. -

Cpl. Elena
- It may be, but I don't want to get any hopes. The important thing is that you and I stay alive and possibly healthy, okay? -

Cpl. Jordan
- Eh eh, of course Elena. -

We started our mission without wasting too much time, traveling with great caution among the ruins and keeping our eyes and ears wide open, every noise was a signal and it was important to pick it up before the start of a disaster. For a journey that took 30 minutes to do on foot it took us 2 hours, sometimes risking to be even discovered by the Ruthenians who patrolled the sector.
The target was in sight: Liberty Square. We decided to observe the enemy positions from some destroyed building, in order to have some extra cover.
With binoculars we were able to detect many hidden targets, including machine gunners, infantry armed with anti-tank weapons and some tanks well hidden among the destroyed buildings. It would have been impossible for the air force to see everything we saw.
In total silence we left the area, returning to the devastated streets and destroyed buildings. The mission had been completed and what remained to be done was to return to our lines and report everything to the captain.
I admit, we were quite surprised that the mission had gone quite well, we hadn't had any hitches of any kind except for some enemy patrol that passed a little close, but the action would have moved the front once and for all.
Or so I thought.
One shot. The silence murdered.
A thud.
I turn around behind me and Jordan is on the ground. His incredulous look, he doesn't believe it.
He's still alive, but he still doesn't believe he's been hit. His right knee has been completely hit, his leg is compromised, and he can't get up.

Cpl. Elena
- Stay down you idiot, goddamnit! -

i whisper.
We are both flat on the ground.The entry hole on the pants of the uniform is to the side, so the enemy shooter is on the street or on some fairly tall building, but the rubble we jumped into covers us pretty well for what they can, and the soldier hasn't fired a second time yet. It means that the shooter is not a sniper and we can get out of his firing range with ease if we lie on the ground.

Cpl. Jordan
- Fu*king hell, fu*king hell! -

His pain is excruciating and the only thing I can do at that moment is drag him from his arms while remaining covered behind the rubble. Behind him he leaves a trail of blood.

Cpl. Elena
- You only have a crushed kneecap, you can do it. -

I give him morphine and, with the first aid pack, I bundle his knee trying to tighten the tissue on the wound, so as to stop the bleeding as much as I can.

Cpl. Jordan
- Right now that we were a few steps away from our lines, motherfu*kers! -

Cpl. Elena
- It's the bad luck of the moment, you know it better than me eh eh. -

I try to play down but inside of me I'm dying of anxiety and worry. I didn't want to lose Jordan, I've known him for years since we were rookies. We had been through hell in this city, and without him now I would surely be depressing myself in some dark corner, killing only to satisfy a void and not because we have to face an enemy.
Distant voices. They are not Anatean ... foreign. An accent that I don't understand.
Civilians? I don't think at all, not after hearing a shot. Suddenly a shout, it seems an order.
Probably the enemy.

Cpl. Elena
- Jordan, we have to leave. I think the Ruths' are coming to give us the coup de grace. -

Cpl. Jordan
- I think that too... -

I drag Jordan to a slightly more covered position and, without wasting too much time, load him onto my back. It's damn heavy but I have to do it if I want to save my friend.
I start running through the ruins, towards the safety of our lines. At that moment I don't even pay much attention to enemy snipers anymore, I can't concentrate when I have an important person who is wounded while he is with me.

Cpl. Jordan
- Will we make it Elena? -

Cpl. Elena
- Of course we will make it. -

His voice is weak, almost calm and emotionless. The shock of the wound begins to be felt.

Cpl. Jordan
- Please, don't leave me alone. -

Cpl. Elena
- I'll not do it. -

I'm sweating my soul. I leave my rifle on the ground. There's too much weight with my equipment and his and I have to make drastic decisions that don't make any sense at the moment. But I have to, every cell in my body tries to get him to safety.
To make matters worse, the enemy artillery begins to hammer the areas around us.
Small pieces of debris start falling on us, but nothing heavy or dangerous.

Cpl. Elena
- Is everything oke there? -

Cpl. Jordan
- Mhm. -

He's probably about to pass out, but that little sign of assent was enough to understand that he was still with me.

spacer.png

I complete the last stretch in 8 minutes. As soon as our folks see us, they are incredulous. They never expected to see a girl with a partner on her back in the middle of the road, in the open field. My legs were now sore and my throat almost completely dry for the fatigue, while my body sweated my soul to try to save my friend.

Cpl. Elena
- Medic! I need a medic! -

I shout with the last faint of voice I have.
The soldiers immediately call the medic, while I fall to the ground as soon as I am five centimeters behind our lines, as if between our positions and the outside there was an invisible barrier that protected us from the enemy.
I let Jordan slide to the side as the other soldiers help him. I am physically destroyed, I can not even open the uniform or take off the backpack from the fatigue that has affected my body. I'm tired ... but happy. I knew Jordan was safe.
For a minute I remain on the ground, breathless and intent on recovering, but the soldiers are still there helping Jordan. Someone walks away, someone else starts talking but I don't understand well between my heavy breath and the oxygen that flows back into my brain. Suddenly one of the soldiers turns to me and looks me in the eyes.

Anatean Soldier
- Elena, your friend is dead. -

I smile, I get up on my side.

Cpl. Elena
- Don't joke about these things. Try to say it again and i' ll punch you in the face. -

Anatean Soldier
- I'm not joking. He' s dead. -

spacer.png

My smile fades. Unbelief takes over.

Cpl. Elena
- What the fu*k are you saying? He' s alive. They just shot him in the kneecap. I even talked to him a couple of minutes ago. -

I approach Jordan, he's still.

Cpl. Elena
- He just fainted. -

Anatean Soldier
- There is no heartbeat ... and not only. -

The soldier turns Jordan's head to the side. At the level of the right temple there was a small hole from which a very fine stream of blood emerged. It wasn't a bullet, it was too small; it looked more like a splinter, probably a metal one. It had also pierced the helmet.
I think back to the bombardment in which we found ourselves, to the small rubble that fell around us. Yet he had answered after that, but it was only a murmur. I didn't even know if it was actually a final gasp.

Anatean Soldier
- I'm sorry. -

I remain still, immobile. Staring at Jordan, thinking that in a moment or another he gets up and says this is all just one of his usual idiotic jokes.
But it does not happen, it remains there motionless. The skin pale, the body limp.
They take him away on a stretcher and what remains for me to do is recover my composure somehow and go to Captain Alberti.
When he sees me he doesn't ask questions, he just asks what I saw. He knows what it means when only one member of a sniper team comes to report, and my dead gaze was already screaming what had happened.
The debrief is short, quick. He thanks me and tells me that I can also take a day off from sniper actions, but it is useless. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Another day like any other ends, the usual routine. There are those who live and there are those who die, and those who live must deal with the deads, allies or enemies. The void gets bigger and silence remains the only thing that hammers you more than the bombings or the gasps of the dying wounded.
Whether I was here or at home, nothing mattered anymore.

spacer.png

Edited by Anatea
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some weeks passed since the San Palia counteroffensive had broken the Ruthenian lines, turning the war in favor of Anatea. The Anatean units, now free from the chaining of the Ruthenian forces, were advancing at full speed across the front, trying to reach Ikras and Mirevka, two strategic cities for the logistical traffic in the region.
From above, as AWACS, I could not help but observe all the action and give support with the informations we received from the radar mounted on our E-767. It was a stressful task, sure, but when the results turned in favor of your allies, satisfaction made its way into your mind and with it you realized that the AWACS task was not as useless as it seemed. We were the eyes of the frontline.

spacer.png

AWACS Overlord - 2
- This is AWACS Overlord to all units, we're approaching the coastal town of Silivia. We detect the presence of at least an enemy battalion in the area. Coordinate your actions with the ground forces and viceversa. Good luck! -

Operation Rangoon, the attack we were carrying out under the Summer Sun, had the objective of penetrating the southern Ruthenian defenses on the coast, in order to distract as many units as possible from the main front. Unfortunately for the troops at the front, a large number of enemy units were concentrated in the area, accompanied by a few destoyers in the adjacent sea, but if we coordinated the actions well between the units we could be able to reduce the losses. We had to hope and stay focused.

AWACS Overlord - 6
- Ribbon, Tetra e Lysta squadrons. Enemy fighters approaching from West, bearing 090, angel 2, on the nose. You're clear to engage. -

Anatean Squadron
<< Ribbon 1 through 4 engaging. >>

AWACS Overlord - 3
- Altax and Uriel attack squadrons, keep your vector on 160. In area C-05 then change your course on vector 100. Three enemy destroyers are present in the area. Sink them before they engage our ground troops. -

I warned over the radio, watching on the computer screen the targets that the radar was picking up.

Anatean Ground Unit
<< This is unit B, we're engaging enemy positions in area C-08! >>

AWACS Overlord - 4
- Copy Unit B. Pay attention, a small amount of enemy tanks are moving towards you from vector 350. -

Anatean Ground Unit
<< This is unit B, thank you Overlord! Right flank, watch out, enemy reinforcements coming from North-west! >>

The inside of the plane was a din of informations and code names. Even though the battle had started 3 minutes ago, the amount of data we received and passed was impressive. We thanked God that there were 10 of us managing the front for this operation. If we had been less we would surely have gone mad.

Anatean Squadron
<< Altax squadron here, we lost Uriel 3 and 4, but we're engaging. One destroyer sunk. >>

AWACS Overlord - 3
- Copy, but watch out: 6 enemy Mig-29s approaching from vector 330, altitude 1050. Pull out from the area and wait support from Tesla squadron. -

Anatean Squadron
<< Uriel 1, roger. Pulling out. >>

The situation was chaotic. On the screen I kept seeing unit icons disappear at alarming speed, a sign that many allied or enemy units had been shot down or destroyed. In addition, as if the situation was not bad enough, the enemy and allied units in the central and northern part of the front were no longer visible on the radar and contactable by radio.

AWACS Overlord - 1
- Heavy jamming in the northern and central part of the front. Probably enemy A6s or AWACSs. Callista Squadron, try to hunt and shoot them down ASAP. -

Anatean Squadron
<< Callista squadron, roger. Entering in heavy ja..mm..g ..r...ea. >>

Anatean Squadron
<< Altax squadron here. Tesla squadron took care of the Migs. We continue the attack. >>

AWACS Overlord - 3
- Overlord, copy. Once you finished with the destroyers give support to the central front. We don't know how is the situation over there. -

I ordered, trying to bring as much support as possible to that front. We didn't even know if the battle was turning in our favor or not. Anxiety and a sense of responsibility gripped our stomachs and our minds, keeping our eyes glued to our computer screens as the clusters of pixels disappeared one after another. It was a real-time chess match with the enemy. After 15 minutes of radar obfuscation, the units finally reappeared on the radar, showing that the situation had fortunately improved in the northern front, but in the central part the allied troops had not yet managed to break through.

Anatean Squadron
<< Callista to Overlord, we managed to destroy the enemy jammers. They were two An-71. >>

AWACS Overlord - 9
- To all aircrafts, update on the frontline: Tetra and Ophal squadrons are destroyed. The central front is still blocked. All aircrafts, give support to the central part. -

Anatean Ground Unit
<< This is unit F, we're under artillery attack! Half of our tanks are destroyed! We're pinned down! >>

AWACS Overlord - 2
- Roger. Callista Squadron, destroy the enemy battery. Bearing 120 from your position. -

Anatean Ground Unit
<< Jesus, Callista squadron today is our saviour! >>

After an hour from the beginning of the battle, the situation was improving. The southern front was no longer a problem with the destruction of the three enemy destroyers, the central part was continuing its advance while the northern front was now spreading behind the enemy lines and was no longer encountering resistance. We could announce that the southern front of Dalstavia had been breached.

Anatean Squadron
<< Ribbon 3 here, we've lost Ribbon 1! >>

AWACS Overlord - 6
- Copy. Ribbon 2, take over command. Continue to support the central area. -

It took another hour for the central Ruthenian stronghold to collapse once and for all, after some forces from the northern front were diverted to the center. Losses on both sides had been high, but it could have been worse if there was no coordination between units. We all did a great job.

AWACS Overlord - 3
- AWACS Overlord to all units, we did it! The enemies are no factor or they're on the run. All aircrafts RTB. -

I concluded, once the Anatean GHQ gave us confirmation about the withdrawal orders for the air forces.
Somehow we had made it, and despite having witnessed the battle from the inside of a plane, it felt as if we had been there on the battlefield with our comrades. We didn't suffer the physical fatigue and pain, but stress and anxiety were something we all had in common. And the sad void that remained in the ranks of our troops was remembered by both, whether they were in front of us or on a computer screen.

spacer.png

Edited by Anatea
codes, as always :V
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Briefer
<< With the destruction of the 10th Ruthenian Army at Ikras, the Ruthenians completely ceased any counter-offensive or defense of the front line, retreating towards Mirevka. They are fortifying it and want to be able to bring home as many soldiers as possible.
Obviously we won't let them. >>

spacer.png

Briefer
<< Your mission will be simple: destroy every vehicle that retreats from the city, be it a column of vehicles, cargo planes and much more. Not even a soldier has to go home or stay to defend Mirevka. Every downed enemy will be one less chance for Ruthenia to launch a counter-offensive, and if we want to end this war as soon as possible, we can't afford to give them a moment of  respite.
The area will certainly be defended by many anti-aircraft units, but be aware that since the battle of Ikras the Ruthenian Air Force has weakened further, so you will have to aim for quick and targeted attacks.
Good luck and hold on, we are one step away from victory! >>

spacer.png

spacer.png

There was nothing nicer than leading an air assault to a highly fortified enemy position ... well, other than having a drink, spending time with a girl, not being in this war etc. On that bright late morning the entire mercenary force supporting Anatea was involved in the first wave to recapture Mirevka. Our target was simple: to annihilate all retreating enemy units. The hoax? Well, the whole area was highly protected by enemy anti-aircraft units. A great reason to send the mercenaries first instead of the regular forces, isn't it?

AWACS Blackjack
<< This is AWACS Blackjack to all air units. Try to block the transports retreating to the West and shoot down the air transports leaving the area. The Ruths' may not have many air units defending the area but they have carpeted the entire area of SAMs and Shilkas, so don't get caught like poor idiots! >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< Here is Blackjack in all its niceness and morning splendor! I love this man! >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< I want to see if you will still love me when I'll change your IFF with the one of the enemy. Shut up and do what you're paid for. >>

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< Damn, did you wake up with the wrong plane? Ah! >>

Ally Mercenary Squadron
<< I guess it gnaws his liver being here with us to risk his skin! Ah-ah! >>

Despite the dangerous situation, many of us in the auxiliary unit had already participated in suicide actions in other conflicts. For us it was just another day in the office.

AWACS Blackjack
<< Stop it and listen to me carefully: Unit A will take care of the air transports, Unit B the ground vehicles leaving the area, while Unit C will try to clean up the anti-aircraft units. Don't be idiots or you will pay the consequences, whether it's with your life or your stupid pay. >>

Lucky for us, Sasha and I were in Unit A. At least we knew we wouldn't be bored chasing enemy transports leaving the area. Sure, we were cowards to shoot them down without air cover, but that was what they deserved for throwing all their air forces into the previous battle in a foolish and reckless way.
It only took a few minutes to reach the area where the transports were flying. Without any air cover and the anti-aircraft engaged by our escorts, the targets were visible and easy to shoot down. They were really desperate.

Ruthenian Transport Squadron
<< Balaur, here Asya 3, the Anateans are behind us! Give us cover! >>

Ruthenian Ground Unit
<< Balaur 6 to Asya 3, we' re currently engaged by enemy aircrafts! You're on your own! >>

<< They were waiting for us, damnit! >>

<< May God help us... >>

Our team and the other mercenary squadrons in our unit were within a few miles of the targets. We began the engagement phase, while one by one our aircrafts locked onto the targets to hit. As the lock signals reached the enemy aircrafts, they began to launch flares like waterfalls, in a desperate attempt to defend themselves from our imminent attack.

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< Silver 1, engaging. >>

I announced over the radio, firing radar-guided missiles with the other fighters at the targets. With no hope of survival and with totally useless flares, the enemy cargos began some emergency maneuvers, but it was all vain: the missiles impacted and exploded on the targets, reducing the transports to flying debris or fireballs. Some aircrafts were damaged so slightly that some soldiers in the transport were able to bail out with the parachutes, others ... were simply sucked in by the air pressure and thrown out of the plane. Some were able to open the parachute, some not.

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< Damnit, why the hell they didn't stay on the ground and surrendered?! >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< I don't know, I just know that if they have risked so much to get home, it means that the situation is really desperate for them. Poor bastards. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Keep attacking the transports, there is still another squadron just ahead, they are about to leave the mission area. >>

We followed Blackjack's directions for the next target and finding, once again, another squadron without air cover. Out of pity, some of the mercenaries tried to communicate with the transports pilots, in a desperate attempt to avoid what had happened before, but Blackjack was bastard enough to disrupt the communications. We had to repeat the same atrocious attack we had previously carried out, reliving once again the horror we had already experienced.

AWACS Blackjack
<< All air targets have been annihilated, while ground targets and other transports have been decimated or totally destroyed. Those bastards will have no chance to rearrange a decent counterattack. >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< Now I understand why you didn't send the regular forces forward but you sent us in this extermination. >>

Ally Mercenary Squadron
<< Yeah, you covered your ass with us so the public opinion can't criticize you. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Even if it was, why would you care? Didn't you just want the money, huh? So shut up and go back to base, we're done for today. And consider yourself lucky that Anatea needed mercenaries for this war, otherwise you would have been the target of this mission if you had decided to fight for Ruthenia. >>

As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. Around the wurld we were glorified and hated at the same time, only a tool in the hands of the powerfuls to do what they wanted to their enemies. I knew what I had chosen, but this time I thought that fighting for a real nation, for my old home, had been different ... but it wasn't, in the end even the Anateans were the same butchers like the factions and militias for which Sasha and I had fought.
They were all the same.

spacer.png

Edited by Anatea
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Briefer
<< Orders have come in for an emergency sortie.
A squadron of enemy fighters and bombers are passing through the Dalstavian Plain, west of Mirevka. Central command thinks their mission is to bomb Mirevka now that our forces have occupied it and most of the Ruthenians have left the region. As soon as we got the first interceptors up, the enemy sent more squadrons into action, and we had to respond by sending you too. The situation is escalating further, and if we don't do something in a short time our forces in Mirevka will suffer heavy losses. We won't let them do it.
Launch! >>

spacer.png

spacer.png

The green and vast Dalstavian Plain, the last geographical point that divided the rest of the Dalstavia region from Ruthenia. A calm place, lit by the scorching midday sun of a clear day of August ... until a fighter jet sped by, chased by another fighter that was firing all its bullets at its prey.

Anatean Squadron
<< I'm about to shoot one down, Fox 2! >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< The reinforcement squadrons are coming, try to clear the way for the incoming bombers! >>

Around the two fighters, other Anatean and Ruthenian fighters were fighting to death, launching missiles, flare or reducing themselves to fight in close range combats with machine gun fire. A few days earlier Ruthenia had decided to leave Dalstavia after the tremendous losses suffered in the region in the previous days, but now that each force had evacuated the area and with the probable and imminent Anatean invasion of their territory, the Central Command at Debalsteve had ordered one last bombing of Mirevka in retaliation. The war wasn't over yet.

AWACS Blackjack
<< Other allied reinforcements incoming, try to clear the area! >>

Anatean Squadron
<< Are we still escalating?! >>

Ruthenian AWACS
<< Anatean reinforcements incoming, but don't worry: Wasav Squadron it's on its way to help us! >>

All around the vast aerial combat was continuing, seeing the Anatean fighters fighting the Ruthenian fighters in a duel to the death. From afar, the Anatean support fighters were approaching the air battle, being able to see with their own eyes the immense aerial battle that was gradually widening.

spacer.png

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< Sky Arrow to all units: the Ruthenians have 8 squadrons in the sector, they're trying to open a corridor for some incoming Tu-95s. Coordinate with the mercenaries for clear the area from the enemies left. Be careful though, other Ruthenians are coming. >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< That's what we needed. They don't know when they have to leave, eh? >>

spacer.pngSol 2
<< That's the problem, they don't know. >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< Let's try to get out of this all alive, we can't die now that the war is almost over. Sol Squadron engaging. >>

Under the bright Sun of noon, the reinforcements composed by Sol, Starlia and Lydra Squadrons, along with some mercenary units, began to throw themselves into action. Without wasting a second, the support squadrons began chasing their targets, seeing the Sols targeting the enemies while Lydras, just behind the Sols, tried to cover them by engaging anyone who tried to get behind them. Starlia Squadron, along with the mercenaries, including Silver Team, went to lend a hand to the other troubled Anatean squadrons.

Ruthenian AWACS
<< Anatean support fighters have entered the AO! Watch out, there are even the Sols and Ikras's Devils. >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< Damn them! Let's try to avenge our fallen brothers at Ikras while we're here! >>

Sol Squadron, remaining compact and organized, began engaging a squadron of enemy F-14s, shooting down two of them with R-27T missiles in a single pass, while Lydra Squadron targeted and destroyed the two survivors with R-27ER missiles.

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< Perfect tactic Lydra and Sol Squadron, keep it up and we will clear up the airspace in minutes! All the other squadrons, try to cover each other. >>

Trying to follow the AWACS directions, the Anatean squadrons slowly began to assemble and cover each other, some having two fighters covered by two other fighters from the same squadron, in turn covered by two other fighters who were covered again by two other fighters belonging to a different squadron. The air units began to appear almost like spears entering in the opposing formations.

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< Tsk, this is too easy! There's not even a challenge! >>

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< If you want i can leave you here alone if you really want a challenge, eh eh. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Is it possible that I can't get rid of you two? Bah, anyway ... >>

For a few minutes AWACS Blackjack switched the radio frequencies of his aircraft and those of the Silver Team, cutting them off for a few moments from allied or enemy communications.

AWACS Blackjack
<< ...guys, jokes aside i noticed that in the AO there's even the 72nd Special Squadron... >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< And so? >>

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< Ed, they're the same that we encountered on Highway 22. Those who have killed the spy. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< ...Sasha, how the hell are you able to stay in the same team of that idiot? >>

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< Just habit! >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< ...anyway they're on their own in the North-Eastern part of the sector without doing anything, they're just flying nearby. I think Sky Arrow has noticed them too, or maybe he doesn't want to notice them, still they don't result in the squadrons called as reinforcements. >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< Well, the RSS is really weird sometimes. Maybe they're here as backup in case we fail? >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< I doubt about that, they would have called another squadron instead of bother a special squadron. The problem is... that i made some researches from the last time we encountered them and they don't result in our databases. It's probable they're not registered because they're in the RSS, still... i don't like them. So keep an eye on them and be careful. >>

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< Wow, thank you Blackjack! I was thinking you wanted us dead. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Bah, if you would die then with who i would pick a fight when i'm bored? >>

The communications were re-established, making the mercenary team return into action.

Ruthenian Squadron
<< Damnit, the commander's plane is gone! Confirm the next aircraft on our chain of command! >>

Ruthenian AWACS
<< Mantain air superiority at all costs, just a little more! >>

Wasav 1
<< Sorry for our delay gentlemen. Wasav Squadron, engaging. >>

As shadows, the three remaining Su-47s leapt into action, starting targeting the Anatean fighters who, without expecting it, were damaged or shot down. The Wasavs began to take new formations behind them, starting to destroy one and divide it, disorganizing the pilots.

spacer.pngSol 2
<< Brad, this is it! They arrived! >>

spacer.pngSol 3
<< Damnit, i wasn't expecting them! I thought they disappeared forever! >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< Stay focused! Lydra, we count on you in covering us! Let's try to kill them before they inflict other damages! >>

The final showdown between the two best units of Ruthenia and Anatea's Air Force had begun.
The Sol's Su-33s swooped down on the Wasavs, firing Fire-and-Forget missiles while the Lydras tried to pressure the enemy by firing R-27T missiles, but the enemy Su-47s, enjoying greater maneuverability, were able to dodge them while they were throwing flares and chaffs, managing to turn around and get behind the Lydras.

Lydra 2
<< How the hell they were able to do that?! >>

Lydra 4
<< As minimum they have faced at least 9Gs for almost one minute! >>

Lydra Squadron began to disperse, but for two of them it was too late: Lydra 3 was hit by a Wasav's missile to the engines, forcing the pilot to eject, while Lydra 4 was hit by a missile in the central part of the plane, spreading shrapnel all around the area and penetrating the cockpit. The Su-35K began to fall without any launch from the pilot.

spacer.pngSol 4
<< Oh God, Captain! Lydra Squadron has been annhilated! >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< Damnit, damnit! >>

They were alone now. With Lydra 2 retreating from the airspace as her squadron's only survivor, Sol and Wasav Squadrons continued to fly at distance parallel to each other, circling around and observing each other, waiting for someone's move so to know how to react. All around them the aerial combat was continuing unabated.

spacer.pngSol 1
<< We don't have any other choice. Me and Alis will try to attack them, Daniel and Samuel, you two will cover us. If they come up behind us you know what to do. >>

spacer.pngSol 3
<< Captain, are you sure? If we fail you could di- >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< Yes, i'm sure about that. If we have arrived here this mean that we can do this. I'm asking you all your energy for this last important battle. >>

spacer.pngSol 4
<< ... alright Captain, count on us. >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< Thank you guys. Alis... >>

spacer.pngSol 2
<< ...Sol 1 and Sol 2, Fox 2! >>

Detaching from Sol 3 and 4, Bradley and Alis made a tight turn that made them enter the center of the air ring that had been created between the two squadrons, launching R-27R missiles at the Wasav's Su-47s that, promptly, they dodged. Two Su-47s managed to get behind Brad and Alis, while another attacked behind Samuel, but the lack of a member of the Wasav, still lost at the beginning of the siege of San Palia, began to show the flaw in the enemy squadron. Daniel, with the few moments he had, managed to target the enemy Su-47 behind Samuel who, now under threat, began to evade, while Samuel and Daniel began to follow him and shoot at short range with their machine guns, hitting him and shooting it down as the enemy pilot bailed out.

spacer.pngSol 2
<< Hell yeah, this is what i wanted to see! >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< C'mon, still two to go! >>

spacer.png

Sol 4
<< Yes! C'mon Daniel, last two and it's finished! >>

spacer.pngSol 3
<< We're coming! >>

spacer.png

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< All units, stand down! I repeat, all Anatean airforce units cease fire and stand down! >>

Ruthenian AWACS
<< All units cease fire, i repeat cease fire. Any attack is now forbidden, i repeat: cease fire. >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< Wai-wait a second! I've got an Anatean behind me, he still have a lock on me! >>

Anatean GHQ
<< This is the Anatean General Headquarter, all units currently engaged on the Dalstavian frontline cease fire, effective immediately. I repeat, cease fire. >>

Ruthenian GHQ
<< Order from the capitol, all Ruthenian units cease fire. I repeat, cease fire immediately and withdraw. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< What the hell is happening?! >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< I'm receiving a transcript, wait... >>

Anatean Squadron
<< I have two bandits on my nose coming towards me, what should i do?! I need orders! >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< I've got Anatean bandits all around me! >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< ...the diplomats of the Republic of Anatea and the Federal Republic of Ruthenia participating in a peace conference held in the city-state of Sigta, with the aim of ending the conflict and restoring peace in the disputed region of Dalstavia... >>

Ruthenian AWACS
<< ...they agreed, after the damages and losses accused by both sides, to reach an armistice. A ceasefire has been declared. >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< ...Really? Out of the blue? >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< And tell us before killing between ourselves? >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Seriously?! Ah- goddamn, changing IFF parameters now. >>

spacer.pngSol 1
<< So... the war is over. >>

Wasav 1
<< All this for nothing... Wasav 1 to all units, let's just get the hell out of here. There's no point in staying here. >>

72nd Anatean Special Squadron
<< Raven to Crystal Kingdom, the war is over, i repeat the war is over. Beginning Operation Iron Cloud. >>

Unknown
<< Crystal Kingdom to Raven, permission for Operation Iron Cloud granted. >>

<< This is the 72nd Anatean Special Squadron of the RSS transmitting on Anatean and Ruthenian lines, change your frequency on 27 Mhz. The radio message you heard was a false statement and a misunderstanding from our office. The war is not over, the hostilities are still going on. >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< What?! We received a confirmation from the Central Command! >>

Ruthenian AWACS
<< It's impossible, even the Anatean Command have confirmed to our HQ that a ceasefire has been declared! >>

Anatean GHQ
<< Whoever is violating our direct orders stand down and cease fire! The war is over! >>

<< I see... we have no other choice. >>

Within moments, the radars of all planes in the area began to mis-transmit informations, changing the IFF of each unit to hostile, even between Ruthenians and Anateans.

spacer.pngSol 2
<< What the...?! Why my wingmen are targeted as enemies?! >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< Whoever is joking about this, it's not funny! The war's over goddamnit! >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< ECM! Somebody is overruning our data IFF system! >>

spacer.png

<< Commecing engage. >>

Suddenly, in the chaos of radar signals and totally disrupted IFF, the Anatean Special Squadron began to engage some fighters, some Ruthenians, some Anateans. The pilots of both factions could not believe their eyes in the face of what was happening.

spacer.pngSol 1
<< What the hell?! >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< 72nd Squadron, cease fire! I repeat: cease fire! >>

Anatean GHQ
<< 72nd Squadron? We don't have any unit with that name in our database! >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< They're in the RSS, sir. >>

Anatean GHQ
<< RSS doesn't have air units in its agency! >>

Anatean Squadron
<< What?! >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Tsk, i knew it. Silver Team, wake up! You know what to do! >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< This will require an extra, eh eh! >>

<< Raven Squadron, engage and kill Sol and Wasav Squadron members. Crystal Kingdom want them dead. >>

In the radar chaos, the Su-35Ks of the 72nd Squadron began aiming their planes at the Wasav and Sol Squadron fighters, launching various active-homing radar missiles at them. By sheer luck the Sols and Wasavs were able to dodge them, at the cost of a Wasav Su-47 that was hit and shot down.

Anatean Squadron
<< Guys, they're attacking Sol Squadron! Don't stand without doing anything, let's do something! Pyro 1 engaging the 72nd Squadron! >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< ...R-right! Davarya 1 engaging new hostile targets! >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< Be careful, our IFF is still messed up. Aim carefully for avoid friendly fire! >>

Like a swarm of wasps, some Anatean and Ruthenian fighters began to engage the 72nd Squadron, including Silver Team. Given the stealth coverage and the chaos on the radar, it was quite easy for the new unknown aircrafts to dodge the much weaker enemy attacks, due to the sharp inaccuracy towards a stealth target and with the radars capable of hitting allied targets with missiles as well.

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< Son of...! >>

spacer.pngSilver 2
<< Ed, use the machine gun. If we keep using the missiles we'll not be even able to aim at them. >>

spacer.pngSilver 1
<< We have to. >>

AWACS Blackjack
<< Thank God that one of you two know how to use its brain. >>

While Sol Squadron and Wasav 1 launched flares and chaffs in a desperate attempt to outflank the new enemies, the six fighters of the 72nd Squadron continued to target them, dividing two fighters from the formation to cut evasive maneuvers to their preys. It was in that moment of slight vulnerability that Silver 1 and 2 fired a long machine gun volley at the two enemy planes, damaging them and setting them ablaze.

<< Raven 3 and 4 we're hit. We have to bail out. >>

Remaining in four fighters, the 72nd Squadron continued to stay behind their prey, attempting to hit them with machine guns, now that the distance was so short that missiles were totally inaccurate. In the chaos, however, Anatean and Ruthenian fighters were trying harder and harder to aim at them, having to repeatedly make a second pass to try to aim them.

spacer.pngSol 1
<< Guys, we have to split up. If we stay in formation they'll keep chasing us and sooner or later they'll hit us. >>

Wasav 1
<< Alright. >>

At Bradley's signal, the fighters split up, as did those of the 72nd Squadron who continued to stay on their preys, except for Sol 3 which was free from the pursuers. Without even wasting time, Daniel began engaging the enemy fighter on Wasav 1, freeing it in moments after shooting down the Su-35K with a long volley of machine gun. At the same time Anatean and Ruthenian fighters had managed to shoot down another fighter from the 72nd Squadron that was pursuing Alis. By being only two of them now, both pilots of the unknown squadron had to leave their preys and opt for hit and run attacks, not being able to afford to have pursuers behind them.

AWACS Blackjack
<< Almost there... the enemy jammers, it's almost... perfect! IFF restored! >>

In that moment in which the IFF was back up and running, all the Ruthenian and Anatean fighters were again targeted as allies, same for the 72nd Squadron. This gave them a chance to escape West now that their Su-35Ks were targeted still as allied before the jamming attack, making them even more impossible to hit with missiles given their distance with the latest hit and run tactic used. Some Ruthenian fighters tried to chase them, but the speed of their fighters was higher, making them disappear from the radars after a few minutes.

spacer.png

spacer.pngSol 2
<< What...? >>

spacer.pngSol 3
<< Do anybody have other surprises for today? No? No one? Thank God. >>

AWACS Sky Arrow
<< The targets have disappeared from our radars. Today the Internal Department will have a lot to work on and investigate about this matter. >>

Ruthenian Squadron
<< I never saw anything like that. >>

Anatean Squadron
<< You can say that again... >>

Ruthenian AWACS
<< C'mon guys, the war is over. All fighters, RTB. >>

As if nothing had happened, the fighters of both sides left the battlefield, leaving the sunny Dalstavian plain silent and full of wrecked aircrafts.
Months and months of conflict, blood, flames and deaths silenced in seconds with few words.
The Dalstavian War had come to an end.

Edited by Anatea

spacer.png

. . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the ceasefire signed in the city-state of Sigta on August 1, 2019, the Republic of Anatea and the Federal Republic of Ruthenia committed themselves in ending the conflict. According to the agreements of the Treaty of Sigta, Anatea would have incorporated Dalstavia into its territory as part of the war debt to be repaid by Ruthenia. Ruthenia, on the other hand, in addition to the debts to repay for the damages inflicted, was constraint to reduce its military strength by 20% and demilitarize the border with the Dalstavia region within 2 months.
With the peace and victory obtained, Anatea began the rearmament and reorganization of the army to counter future threats from internal and external sources, while Ruthenia, with the defeat and the immediate weakening of the central power together with the war debts, began to shatter into different and autonomous factions that succeeded one another from the central territory or provoked small local guerrillas. With the ongoing guerrillas, and the assassination of the leader Kars Delai at the hands of a subordinate, Ruthenia began a transitional phase of territorial division to dissolve the created nation that suppressed the regions unwilling to be part of the federal republic. It was in that moment that Ruthenia split into various small states, such as New Ruthenia, Casma, Lybadev and Pyrr, which began to continue on the path of democracy to avoid another dictatorship and, with it, another war.

Although the conflict was located on a small front, for the veterans the psychological effect was devastating, especially for the Anateans who had not fought in a conflict for decades. Many suffered from Post Traumatic Disorder (PTSD) and psychological complications from the loss of many comrades (depression, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, alienation, shellshock and self-inflicted injuries), while others left the military to join groups to promote peace and disarmament. Some joined protest groups against the Anatean government after the futile massacre endured on the last day of the war, defined by some as a "sadistic and useless bloodshed".

Sol squadron members remained in the Anatean Air Force after the conflict, staying for three months deployed in Dalstavia to keep the region under control. During the period of stay in Dalstavia, the squadron pilots suffered an attack on one of their planes, resulting in a failed attempt. It is not yet known who tried to kill the pilots, but from that day they have been moved to an unknown location. It's still unknown whether they still operate in the military or are under protection.

After the death of Colonel Kalt and the losses suffered in the battle of the Dalstavian Plain, the two surviving members of Lydra squadron were discharged from the army. Pauline Inati (Lydra 2) is still hospitalized for psychological complications.

Wasav squadron pilots disappeared from the news and the Ruthenian Army after the conflict. It is still unknown whether they are still alive or not.

The "72nd Anatean Special Squadron" is still being investigated by the RSS and the army. After the battle of the Dalstavian Plain there is no information about the squadron's pilots. They are still wanted by authorities.

After the siege of San Palia, Sergeant Paolo Castellani continued to serve in the conflict, returning home on July 19 after being wounded in Ikras. Private Carlo Iannoni instead was killed the same day during the battle of Ikras.

With the death of her teammate Jordan, Corporal Elena continued her sniping activity during the conflict. After the war, she left the army and disappeared for several months, until she was accidentally captured in a video during a firefight in the Pyrr region during the civil warfares in Ruthenia. It is thought that she's operating as a mercenary.

With the loss of her crew and severe injuries sustained in the tank battle at Novoljia, Lieutenant Laura Osvaldi was rushed to hospital and saved, losing her left leg. She was discharged from the army as Captain and now lives in Arlost.

Edward Riley and Sasha Yumov, after the conflict and their contract, managed to keep the Su-35Ks assigned to them as long as they remained in the Dalstavia region as security forces. At the end of the surveillance period, they returned to their home in Crystal Island and participated in other small conflicts around the wurld.

THE END

• Similar Content

• By Anatea
      22 June 2020
      For several days on the regional news and on Solisea News the government had announced a referendum about the reduction of fuel use to modernize the country with clean energy.
      Since 2005 Anatea tried to obtain renewable energy so as not to spend too much money on the import of petrol and raw materials, trying to avoid the use of nuclear energy which, according to a referendum and a law that later became reality, was prohibited in energy and military field in 1990. 
      Now, on June 22, the Set party (center-right and supporter of the continued use of oil) and the Lucet party (center-left and supporters of the use of renewable energy) had to convince members of the Senate to obtain a majority to prevent or put into practice the development of renewable energy for the country.
      The first blow was given by the minister of the Lucet party, Lucas Fisher, highlighting the advantages to the ecosystem, very dear to Anatea, and the reduction of  waste of primary resources such as gasoline or mantain the continuous disuse of nuclear energy which Anatea has always tried to avoid to use. This move would also be able to help industries and businesses to spend less money on the import and use of oil, removing a net 10% of expenses to give more income to improve businesses or hire other workers to increase the efficiency.
      All was received very well by most of the senators, finding many of them applauding, but Fulvio Silani, current prime minister and head of the Set party, had to reply to the last proposal: if on one hand the use of renewable energy would have reduced emissions and given a 10% profit percentage to companies, on the other it would have required heavy expenses to convert energy suppliers or build / connect their plants to already built energy sources.
      Along with that huge expenditure, it should have even been noticed that many kind of jobs where the use of primary energy sources had priority would have been closed, causing many citizens to lose countless jobs.
      The Senate actually calculated that the timing was not yet too ripe for such a change, welcoming Mr. Silani's criticism with uncertain applauses, but Mr. Fisher managed to reply to everyone's surprise: if this change would have given problems to the current industries, even closing some of them, on the other hand this would have intensified the formation of new IT jobs or through the use of the web, in which Anatea had gaps. This would have led Anatea to develop the tertiary sector, being able to create more jobs with very low maintenance costs, and give a lot of competition to foreign companies outside the territory.
      The unexpected intervention was greeted by other applauses from the Senate, who seemed increasingly convinced of knowing which way Anatea would have taken, which was then followed by the vote which lasted about twenty minutes. After 3 hours of debate and voting the results were elaborated and counted: 45 in favor of the introduction of renewable energy at national level, 41 against and 14 abstentions.
      Despite the victory, however, this reform would have taken years to be introduced and completed, as Anatea's economic status would have struggled to renew the national industry in very short times and costs. It was a bitter victory but full of future promises.
    • By Anatea
      Sarah Mezzani
      << Welcome to the morning edition of Solisea News, with Sarah Mezzani!
      Let's start with news about the Anatean GDP's recovery after the end of the conflict in Delstev. I pass the line to Jack Lini about his report. >>

Jack Lini
      << It is with constancy and many sacrifices that Anatea has managed to improve its GDP by +0.3 in recent weeks. The secret? A cut on the armament funds of the army to divert them towards the incentives for the companies that were going in clear crisis. Along with the good news of the recovery, unemployment is also falling, but the army is more worried than ever about the interruption of supplies or the focus for new experimental projects that have given a serious halt to surveillance operations in the vicinity of Delstev. Prime Minister Fulvio Silani has promised that once a stable GDP level is regained he will return to support the army to keep it updated with the latest technological innovations. That's all, I pass the line back to the study. >>

Sarah Mezzani
      << Thanks Jack. With the GDP rapidly recovering, we also have good news from Delstev about humanitarian aid associations. I pass the line to Carlo Iaconni. >>

Carlo Iaconni
      << Thanks Sarah! Yes, humanitarian aids from Senza Frontiere has been able to help rebuild a part of the Ickras district, the capital of Delstev, today. The reconstruction works had already started immediately after the end of the conflict but thanks to donations from other nations and from Anatea, the local population managed to continue the works, making the first area almost completely rebuilt for now. It is expected that for now it will take more than ten years to rebuild most of the island, but if the donations and support remain unchanged, they may also be reduced to 4 years, which would help the region to rise economically once and for all.
      That's all, I pass the line back to Sarah. >>

Sarah Mezzani
      << Thank you so much Carlo. These were the news for this morning edition of Solisea News! Thanks for following us and stay tuned! Have a good day! >>
    • By Anatea
      It had been a few years since Anatea had experienced the thrill of war on its skin.
      It was not as cold and distant as they told in school and information books, nor heroic as the novels about soldiers and generals did. It was ruthless, tough, relentless.
      Nobody was spared, nobody saw the next day without having had a reckless dose of luck that would have made everyone pass unscathed through the hell of lead and flames that was the war.
      They were numbers against numbers, powerful against other powerful, hordes of innocent people who were sent to the massacre despite Anatea had always claimed to be a peaceful nation.
      But it wasn't that day.
      In the distant Spring 2019 Ruthenia, a nation close to Anatea, was experiencing a period of economic instability after finishing a civil war that had torn the nation in 2009. Of course, the Ruthenian leader Kars Delai and his faction had emerged victorious from the war, but by that time the post-conflict economic trauma was proving more difficult to manage than the civil war itself.
      The ruthenian people were hungry and work was lacking, the territories under the Federal Republic of Ruthenia could no longer support the torment of dictatorship and poverty. It was at that moment that the island of Delstev decided to detach itself from the central government and ask for humanitarian aid to Anatea, much richer and more stable. Obviously Ruthenia was furious, and became even more furious when the anatean humanitarian aids arrived on the island to prevent masses of refugees from attempting a suicidal crossing of the sea that divided the two territories. From that day the ruthenian bases remained loyal to the central government did everything to avoid Anatea any support for the region, invoking constitutional laws absent and destroyed by the party itself years earlier, sabotaging or stopping humanitarian convoys and even going so far as to bomb refugee camps. With the escalation of Ruthenia's aggression, Anatea could safely leave Delstev and go home. But it didn't. The center-right government, at that time and still in power in Anatea, decided that everything possible should be done to save Delstev's innocents, not calculating that such stubbornness would cause many other deaths.
      They had elevated Anatea to be the hero of the situation, motivating the citizens to be right ... but it didn't help.
      The breaking point came when the air cargo of the anatean delegation, formed by King Edward II, Queen Isabel II and other delegates, was intercepted and destroyed during the journey to a peace conference in Sigta, to resolve the Delstevian issue face to face between Anatea and Ruthenia. The attackers? Ruthenian stealth fighters, that's what the AWACS and the anatean escort fighters recorded when they fought that day to ward off the inevitable.
      On the same day Ruthenia began a large-scale invasion of Delstev to regain possession of the island, while Anatea could not help but respond to revenge by sending other men to die in a place away from home.
      The war lasted for 7 months and ended with the anatean victory over the ruthenian troops retreating from the island, but the damage had already been done and Princess Sofia Soleri, daughter of the parents who died in the attack on the cargo, understood that the war had not solved anything for Anatea. The only results were only obtaining Delstev' s independence from Ruthenia, and the political collapse of Ruthenia which ended up divided into small factions and regions calling for freedom.
      It was in that moment that Sofia Soleri understood that the political line adopted by the center-right minister Fulvio Silani was not suitable for Anatea and neither did the interest of the nation, she understood that if Anatea wanted to prevent war disasters or save innocent lives, it had to do it as quietly as possible.

20 June 2020
      The pilots of the Sol Squadron, the aerobatic patrol of the Anatean Air Force, had been called to the base of Eris Island regarding their use in an experimental department. The thing had been covered very well, as the pilots were even escorted to the base by the agents of the FSS (Federal Strategy Service) while the superiors had been minimally informed of the transfer, not wanting to get involved in even deeper bureaucratic matters of the already complicated chain of command. It had been a quick, silent and clean operation.
      The four were taken to another air base on Eris Island, much more covered and supervised than the official one present on the island.
      - Where do you think they are taking us? - asked Bradley, Captain of the Sol Squadron.
      - I don't know, it's not the official base of Eris Island ... I don't like this situation ... - admitted Sasha, second in command of the squadron. - I hope it's not connected to that day when ... we weren't able to protect the King and Queen of Anatea ... -
      - You will know soon, don't worry. - said one of the escort agents coldly.
      Inside the base the pilots were made to sit in a semi-dark room, built inside a hill where half of the base seemed to be hidden. Only a couple of lights on the ceiling minimally illuminated the empty gray room. It felt like being in a box.
      Suddenly one of the doors of the room opened and a man in aviation short sleeve uniform with two FSS agents appeared before them. They were silent and the man, probably thirty years old, had dark penetrating eyes, as if they wanted to explore the soul of who was in front of him, as well as a dark wooden staff that he used to help him walk.
      - Forgive all this secrecy but this transfer is confidential. Let me introduce myself, I am Colonel Adam Kalt. - explained the man, shaking hands with all the pilots.
      - Adam Kalt ... THAT Adam Kalt? - asked Edward - The same Major Kalt who during the war with Ruthenia obtained 26 air kills? -
      - Yes, it's me. - the man smiled slightly.
      - But ... you ... they said you have been killed in action over the skies of Ickras! - Bradley continued, almost incredulous to face the same ace they had given up for dead.
      - That's what they said ... but ... let's say I saved myself, and that the report was not entirely fair. But that's okay. The fact that that last fight no longer gave me the chance to fly is as if it had declared me dead. - explained the man.
      - I see ... - replied the Captain, looking at the colonel's staff.
      - Moving on to more serious matters, we have called you here for an urgent matter. Anatea is weaker than ever, and the last war, won by sheer luck and sacrifice of many, highlighted the limits that our nation can reach and on which it can even collapse. From this moment on you will never fly in the Anatean Air Force again. -
      - S-Sorry... what? - Bradley burst out.
      - What does it mean? Is it for that time that we failed to protect Anatea's regents? I know we had to do it, but you have seen it too that we had been outnumbered that day! - tried to explain Sasha.
      - That's not for that. - interrupted a female voice coming from behind the shoulders of the four pilots, from the same door from which the four had entered.
      At first the lack of light made it impossible to clearly distinguish who she was, but when she got even closer to the pilots the faint light showed the face of Sofia Soleri. The princess of Anatea was in front of them.
      - Y-Your Majesty, what ...? - asked incredulously Samuel, fourth pilot of the Sol squadron.
      - On the contrary, that day you gave your best to protect my mother and father ... and I am grateful to you. - explained the princess - But for this very reason I called you. I need you to fly for me and for my new secret division: the GHOST Division. You are experienced pilots who have demonstrated great skills in that single battle, even without having participated directly in that war. All those in this division are for the most part veterans of the Delstev war given for dead, but who have demonstrated skill in handling difficult situations and numerically superior enemy forces despite the numerous disadvantages. I want you to join this undercover division. -
      - All right, your majesty, but ... why all this? - asked Daniel, third pilot of the Sol squadron.
      - The reason? Because we barely struggle to defend our borders, and we absolutely need to prevent future disasters that can hit Anatea or harm innocent people in the most silent way possible. Look at Ruthenia, Anatea and that nation were once in good terms before the civil war, but if we had intervened earlier when Ruthenia asked us for help we could have avoided many deaths and the recent war with Ruthenia that would have erupted. But no, my father and the delegation of that time preferred to ignore and hope that everything would resolve itself, but it doesn't work like that .. someone has to intervene and help the people out there .. and that's us. - she finished explaining.
      - Count on us your highness. - Bradley confirmed, saluting with the military salute which was promptly imitated by the rest of the squadron.
      - Perfect. Welcome to the GHOST Division, Revenant Squadron. - said Colonel Kalt.
      - Revenant eh? I like it ... - Sasha commented, smiling.
      Only time would show what the new squadron added to the secret division was capable of.