Expansion: Salvia

Expansion: Salvia

Introduction

Greetings fellow citizens of Eurth!  After spending a couple of years in Eurth, I feel that now is the proper time to begin the planning for my expansion.  This will be a multi-part expansion that occurs during two different time periods: one during the 1400s-1600s and another in the present day.  Without further ado…

Part I: The sun never sets…

Inspired by economic motives, motivation from the Church to evangelize the faith, and the opportunity of glory and power, explorers and settlers began to sail overseas to conquer, claim, and colonize islands and other territories.  This section of the RP will be a historical RP, taking part in one section: one pre-crusade (late 1400s-early 1500s).  The first section concerns the colonization of two colonies: New Salvis and Port Liosus, pictured below respectively.

New_Salvis.png 

colony_3.png

Each section will have its own cast of characters and their own plot- it will not be a quick “They sail over there and claim land,” there will be conflicts and struggles, etc.  This part of the expansion will begin as soon as approved.

Part II: The Imperium reunited…

A country of 4 million bordering west of northern Salvia, Alvernia was a part of Salvia beginning with the First Imperium in the Classical Era, gaining independence after revolts in the 17th century.  As one of the core territories of the classical and medieval Salvian empires, the majority of the populace (~65%) are ethnically Salvian and both nations share a number of similarities, from government structure and legislation to economic industries.

A large movement began in the early 1900s in Alvernia advocating for Salvian nationalism and reunification with Salvia, although a cautious Salvia refused to reunify, citing economic reasons (a financial crash was in full swing) and a fear of angering other Marenesian nations.  A failure of reunification with Salvia would lead to the movement in Alvernia dying down but calls for reunification remained to the present day. With Salvia and Alvernia prospering economically and good relations present through Marenesia, all that was needed was popular support for reunification in both countries.

Support for reunification came back to the front stage in Alvernia after recovering from the oil crisis of the 70s in the late 80s and a wave of nationalism sweeping the nation.  Since then, Alvernia’s government has only grown warmer and warmer to the idea of reunifying with Salvia since then, and similar waves of nationalism would sweep Salvia in the 90s- the only thing necessary for reunification would be a catalyst for both governments, which would come in 2020. 

Note: The next paragraph is what will happen, nothing that has happened already.

The largest obstacle to unification was public resistance in both nations.  Resistance to reunification with Salvia in Alvernia stemmed mostly from the large number of ethnically non-Salvians, who also resisted the waves of Salvian nationalism that swept the nation before.  In Salvia, the public opinion became divided over whether unification was necessary and whether it would end up hurting the pockets of the middle class. Following the ongoing Church crisis, both the government and public had a reason to further support unification: the government had a motive to distract the public from the crisis, while the public began to associate themselves more with their ethnicity (Salvian) rather than with the Church.  Resistance to unification in Alvernia came to a head when a bombing of a nationalist rally kills several dozen. The public, outraged, pin the attacks on ethnic minorities, specifically the resistance group “AntiSalv” based in the less-Salvian north of Alvernia. The Alvernian government authorized the use of military force to “put down resistance” and invited the Salvian military to aid the operation. The Alvernian and Salvian governments then agree to unify, with the Alvernian government becoming subservient to the Salvian one.  This part of the expansion will occur after the conclusion of Part I.

The proposed area of expansion: 

expansion.png

Tagging any and all nearby nations: @Gallambria, @Batengdei, @Sunset Sea Islands, @Kualoa, and @Fjallshima if he ends up taking Kipan/Rihan's spot.

That is the plan so far, like everything it can be altered if necessary.  If you have a problem with the claimed areas or some other suggestion feel free to share.  Otherwise, I turn it over to @Orioni :) 

Edited by Salvia (see edit history)
On 2/19/2020 at 11:12 AM, Sunset Sea Islands said:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but that's a hard no from me on Aslonia. Aside from that island being in my sphere of influence, I think it'd be really hard to justify colonising an island that is pretty much exactly on the other side of the world.

Understood.  However, I feel as if a colony in Thalassa would justify any Salvian influence on that side of the wurld, especially with Fjallshima.  I could possibly just have had spheres of influence that are now long gone, similar to European imperialism in China.  Except, in this case, older.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:12 AM, Sunset Sea Islands said:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but that's a hard no from me on Aslonia. Aside from that island being in my sphere of influence, I think it'd be really hard to justify colonising an island that is pretty much exactly on the other side of the world.

So... how is the Thalassa plan affected by the new map-in-progress?  Should I still choose a new island or just drop it?

16 hours ago, Sunset Sea Islands said:

Both.

Could the island to the southwest of Aurelia be swapped out for Aslonia?

It might be a lot different to what was being envisioned for Aslonia, but it could make a good base for local resource exploitation. Considering the time period offered in the blurb, that'd likely be whale oil.

That would certainly be pretty lucrative and it could later evolve into a coaling station. Although I suppose this would depend on any locals.

Or is the future of that island subject to change with the map rework?

35 minutes ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

Or is the future of that island subject to change with the map rework?

That would indeed be the case. In the old map, that part of Thalassa was amongst the most unrealistic in the entire map.

Maybe this island would be a suitable compromise, @Salvia:

unknown.png

I feel Salvian presence would be more justifiable in a place like this. Alternatively, if latitude is important to you, you can wait for the map update and argue with @Shffahkia about that one island that got placed close to Shffahkian shores.

9 hours ago, Sunset Sea Islands said:

That would indeed be the case. In the old map, that part of Thalassa was amongst the most unrealistic in the entire map.

unknown.png

I feel Salvian presence would be more justifiable in a place like this. Alternatively, if latitude is important to you, you can wait for the map update and argue with @Shffahkia about that one island that got placed close to Shffahkian shores.

That is a nice compromise, I’ll update the expansion post to be more accurate when I’m able to get on a computer again.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:35 PM, Sunset Sea Islands said:

unknown.png

I was mentioned so I'll give my take on the parts that concern me and Aurelia.

On the point of the island right off my coastline, I'd prefer not as well for what I hope are pretty clear reasons. Historically @Salvia owning parts of the island would be a nice piece of history but I wouldn't like them to own it up to the modern day.

On the point of the island south of Aurelia, I'll say this: Aurelia is very undefined at the moment. By that I mean that it isn't clearly defined whether or not Aurelia is a developed or developing continent for example. Rihan was developing while both Kirvina and Rhodelia clearly wanted to be developed nations. I'd like to see some new nations come and hop into Aurelia and define parts of the continent with them. I wouldn't like to see other nations expanding into Aurelia and see it defined as the space to be expanded into. But then again I am pretty far from neutral on the matter with ulterior motives and such. So if anyone should have a word on the matter it should be @Kirvina if they so choose to do. So in brief, if Salvia wants to expand to that island, I won't do anything to stop it not that I even could if I wanted to.

• 1 month later...

Since @Orioni included Alvernia in the last map update, I’m taking that as approval for Part II to begin and I am writing the beginning of the RP right now.

Alvernia is not to be considered part of Salvia until the conclusion of the RP.  It is not yet part of Salvia, it is still its own independent state. 

• 2 weeks later...

The basic stats for Alvernia can be found here: https://iiwiki.us/wiki/Alvernia  Just lmk if I need to add anything else :) 

GDP, HDI, population, etc. can all be edited, just because the numbers are in the wiki doesn't mean they are canon or finalized.

NOTE: I forgot to mention I did up the population from 4 million to 9 million since the first number was really small compared to the size of Alvernia.