The Seams Of A Utopia

Fubukino

The Seams Of A Utopia is an on-going series of short stories meant to give light to the imperfections of a nation that considers itself absolute perfection. Various topics could be seen from corrupted politics, to organized crime, to overzealous cultists, and more. Some of these stories may have specific, and great influence on the nation as a whole, while others could be minor and meant more to be illustrative of a larger problem.

List of groups that have appeared or will appear soon:

• The Luxites - (The Luxite Shore) a sect of Aconism that emphasizes an often disregarded text known as the Lux Scripture. In the past two decades, the Luxites' numbers have swelled as fewer, younger generations, attend or follow Aconism. Since 1999, he Acona Mortal has denounced and labeled the Luxites as heretics.
  • The Sisterhood of Nix - (Nixing Crime) an organized group of vigilantes that were former forced members of other crime syndicates of Oyus, specifically the Ceta Brigade and the Dread Clan. Many of their members evade arrest due to their loose, unspoken alliance with authorities.
  • The Adisi Natavist Front (ANF) - (Lingua Franca) a militia known for carrying out terrorist activities against foreign nationals, and even at times Oyusard "half breeds". Their ultimate goals are to take to a more radical opposition to a perceived neoimperialism and eventually unite the indigenous peoples of the Adisi under one flag.

Edited by Oyus (see edit history)

The Luxite Shore

The flickering from blue flamed candles illuminating their surroundings did little to keep the vibe from being somewhat eerie, dark even. The crashing waves on the shore were perhaps the only calming and soothing element of the setting. Beyond the sands was an Aconite temple that looked lifeless. One of the many that used to host a mass twice a week, only to be left behind by a faith apathetic populace. Under the Luxite moon, the way Oyusards described the new moon phase, a man was bound and blindfolded. A malnourished husk of an individual. A pathetic individual, clearly held captive.

He had been there for some time, as he lay close to the tide with his head still dry, though no one was around. The individual had to have been in his mid-thirties at most, a handsome fellow that likely got his share of cash in a typical shore side “exploratorium” for the more curious and frisky tourist. He could not recall how he had gotten to where he was now - only that his last memory was having a drink served to him by an equally handsome admirer. How could he have been so foolish to accept it this time? Yet days had passed since that memory, and there on the beach he was unable to move. He did not know what these people wanted, only that they did not seem like the normal type of criminal organization known to Oyus.

Oyan Clouded leopard heads could be seen in the distance, approaching from the Aconite temple. More specifically, people who wore an Oyan Clouded leopard as a headdress. It appeared as if it were floating due to their wearing black, unrevealing clothing. One. Two. Seven of them. They gathered around the misfortunate fellow, six of them kneeled while one stood. An aged book about the size of a textbook was held open as they began to recite from it.

Acona you are our creator, our giver of life and everything around us 

Praise Acona for the life you give us (Praise Acona!)

You guide us well, you guide us to the light Alon brings

Praise Alon for the light that he brings you (Praise Alon!)

A blessed soul is lost once more (Lost no more!)

This blessed soul tempted and lured 

Lost they became by the deeds of Lux (Away with the seductress Lux!)

Led astray from the shore by the temptress into the dark unknown

Acona we forgive this corrupted soul for being led away as many have been before

Acona we bid for this corrupted soul to be forgiven by you as you have done so before

The ‘corrupted soul’ was brought up to his knees. Intensive whispers were spoken endlessly into his ears, calling him ‘back to his corrupted ways’ The lead placed their hand over the corrupted heart. 

“Acona is listening, even in the night as Lux roams about. She forgives you for following the lead of Lux, do you realize what has happened?”

“You have bound me, tortured me with starvation and dehydration. I think it is Acona who must forgive you for-”

The intensive whispers became shouts as corruption is dragged and plunged beneath the salty waters until being brought up once more.

“Acona is listening!”

“Do not go to the light!” exclaimed the two holding him, “Her ways are not ours!”

“Acona is listening!” the lead kept saying, “Acona is listening! Do not heed the words of the temptress and her silver tongue! She forgives you, only if you acknowledge what has happened to you!”

“I acknowledge I have been kidnapped and-” cut off once more by another salty plunge.

This would continue relentlessly. It would feel like an eternity. He had been kidnapped. Plunge. Starved. Plunged. Done nothing but fulfilled a life of enjoyment. Plunge. Plunge. Plunge. Denial was not refusal, it was denial until it would be realized. 

“ACONA IS LISTENING!”

“The light is not the way!”

“STOP! I have done nothing wrong. I never did. I hope I never will. May Acona forgive you for your actions, or may Lux herself bring you closer to her like the crude cultists you disgusting perversions of Aconism you are. Luxo has not seduced or tempted me, she has corrupted you and the way of Acona.”

Suddenly there was silence. Well, aside from the gasping for breath and the crashing waves, there was silence. Only the ambient noise around them as what was said was contemplated. It was as if this was the first time they had ever been told such a thing, however, it simply wasn’t. Luxites have for a great time been ostracized even by some of the more orthodox followers of Acona. In ‘99 they were deemed as corrupted by Lux rather than those who ward her away. For this group, they would once more do as they did with those who would not ‘accept Acona’s forgiveness’. 

The blindfold was taken off so that his eyes may be laid upon the leader kneeling before him the eyes of the leopard seeming to stare into him. The group collectively slipped off their garments to be as bare as him with their leopard heads. The entire group placed their hands on his shoulders and over his chest. They began to murmur, whisper. 

“Acona forgives, Acona forgets. For one final time I ask, do you realize what has happened to you, son?”

“Denounce her! Denounce Acona! Denounce her, and be one with me!” the rest of the group loudly whispered repetitively as he pondered what would happen. He had once heard that Luxites, extremists specifically, would drown their victims. He did not believe this to be true. It had to have been a rumor, and even in the face of danger, you cannot abandon your dignity. Leaving your principles behind for just a moment will be one’s unraveling.  

“Acona has nothing to forgive. Luxo has no power over me. I denounce you and your practices and pray to Acona to forgive you for following heresy and Alon to protect me from whatever else you intend to put me through.” 

They cackled and chuckled as they dragged him and did what he did not believe they would do: let salt water fill his lungs, bubbles coming to the surface. He kicked, he screamed, yet he could not fend off their power of seven. When Lux took his soul, they dragged him back to the sands. Five of them would carry him away, further along the beach away from the temple. The leader took the hand of an acolyte and led her back to the temple as she made a query of him. 

“Everyone knows Acona listens and forgives. Why didn’t he take it, Arch-patriarch?” 

“Because, Sister Hedy, the most corrupted never will. He was already one with Lux. Only those not corrupted absolutely will respond, much like you did.” The sister would smile at his comment as they continued into the temple. 

It was the belief of Luxites that so long as you were not absolutely corrupted within your soul, you would take the forgiveness of Acona. It would be what sets you on a path to eventually be indoctrinated by the Luxites and their regressive teachings.