Welcome to Invision Community 4.4!

macbook.jpg.6455c0f02e92f37f646b460d025a3145.jpg

We're thrilled to announce that Invision Community 4.4 is available to download now.

After months of development, over 1650 separate code commits and quite a few mugs of questionable coffee you can now get your hands on the beta release from the client centre.

the office party hard GIF

Not our office

Invision Community 4.4 brings numerous new features, over 450 bug fixes and a lot of refinement.

We've been talking about the highlights since September on our blog.

Here's a recap of all that we've added.

We'd love to know which is your favourite feature so far!

Drop a line below and let us know!

View the full article

This looks promising. Especially the performance improvements.

1. Not yet. We won't upgrade right away. Certainly not to a beta. Let someone else finds the bugs. I prefer to go with the final v4.4 once it's ready. And even then, it's always safer to wait for that inevitable .1 to show up.

2. Theme. Our current default theme (Dimension by IPS Focus) is not compatible with this upgrade. Which means one of two things: (1) buy the theme again, or (2) switch to the white theme that comes shipped with this forum CMS. It's not bad and I regularly switch between them. But the Dimension theme has more personality. So that's a choice to make.

• 3 weeks later...

conversions_header.jpg.3510b2185cb1aec987d8236b4d045bc2.jpg

We want to ensure that converting from your existing community platform to ours is as seamless as possible.

While we do have a migration service available where we take care of everything for you, we do also offer a DIY option.

We took some time to overhaul the conversion process for those opting to convert using our free tools.

Ready to convert?

So you've just purchased your first copy of Invision Community, and you're ready to convert your existing site over from another software package. Great! We're glad you've made the decision to take your community to the next level!

You've already checked out our Migrations page, confirmed the software you wish to convert from is supported, and you're confident in your ability to work through the process. You install the Converters package and you're ready to go. 

Lets get started!

We have overhauled the converters to simplify the process. Beginning with 4.4, you will take the following steps to convert from another software package:

• Rather than choose the application you wish to convert first, you will now choose what software you are converting from, which is a much more logical start to a conversion.
  • Next, you will supply the database details for your source database (the database you wish to convert into your new Invision Community).
  • Then, you will see a list of all applications that can be converted for the software package you are converting from. If any applications cannot be converted (perhaps because you were not previously using the corresponding application in your source software), a message will be shown indicating there is nothing to convert. If any steps require additional configuration, you will be able to specify those details here.
  • And finally, when you submit that form - that's it! You're done, and you can sit back and let the conversion process on its own. Each step for each application will be completed automatically, and the conversion will be finalized automatically at the end. A progress bar will be shown, along with a textual indicator that outlines exactly what is being converted.

What does it look like?

Here's a quick video to illustrate the new conversion process.

The system even remembers where you were at and automatically picks back up where you left off. Closing your browser, losing internet connectivity, or some other unforeseen issue won't stop you dead in your tracks and force you to start all over again.

We hope that these updates make it even easier to switch from another community platform.

View the full article

• 2 weeks later...

@everyone This is a general notice to all forum users.

Once the IPB version 4.4.1 drops, I will upgrade the forum software to this latest version. Because we have to stay on top of those security updates.

Consequences:

1.  All the added thingies listed above.
  2. But also: our default theme (Dimension) will break. ➡️ This means everyone gets to enjoy another theme that does work. (Surprised? Hardly, since I already mentioned this last month.)

Now I hear you say: "But I don't want to change. Can't we keep the old version? I don't mind security bugs." Ah Timmy, that's nice of you to say. But you'll just have to get used to it for now. But all is not lost, Timmy. Because if you have some money on you, perhaps you can spare the $30 to purchase that newer version of Dimension. And we can all live happily ever after.

8 hours ago, Orioni said:

@everyone This is a general notice to all forum users.

Once the IPB version 4.4.1 drops, I will upgrade the forum software to this latest version. Because we have to stay on top of those security updates.

Consequences:

1.  All the added thingies listed above.
  2. But also: our default theme (Dimension) will break. ➡️ This means everyone gets to enjoy another theme that does work. (Surprised? Hardly, since I already mentioned this last month.)

Now I hear you say: "But I don't want to change. Can't we keep the old version? I don't mind security bugs." Ah Timmy, that's nice of you to say. But you'll just have to get used to it for now. But all is not lost, Timmy. Because if you have some money on you, perhaps you can spare the $30 to purchase that newer version of Dimension. And we can all live happily ever after.

Aw man, thanks @Orioni for keeping the forums up. I'd definitely hate to see the Dimension theme go, but, well... you're right. Gotta keep up with the times. 👍

Quick question - will this new theme bring back the ability to change font, color, and add the "letter"-style text box? I've been dying to have those back...

@Andalla Sure those functions will still work. And the styling is kept. It's not some new theme. You can already give it a try:

1. Scroll to the bottom
  2. Click "Theme"
  3. Switch to "IPS Default"

"IPS Default" is the actual default theme that comes with this forums setup. Dimension is a custom theme I bought 16 months ago when we relaunched with this new redesign on our own domain.

Forum version v4.4.1 has arrived. Which means I'll upgrade the software as announced both in February and last week.

Update 1:

Upgrade complete. At first glance, the Dimension theme didn't break as expected. Or did it?

Update 2:

Aha, I already found a bug to fix. Dangit.

Update 3:

Disabled Dimension. Set IPS as default for everyone. Yes, it's ugly. I don't like it either. We can get the old theme back if someone cares enough to buy it.

The new default theme is pretty boring. Fortunately, we can set a custom header image. It will look something like this. Your suggestions for images are welcome here. Keep in mind that we can only add 1 image, instead of the 5 variants we had before.

Screenshot_2019-03-11_at_10.46.03.png