Group of Island Nations

Group of Island Nations  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Count me in?

I was thinking about regional organisations. And the spectrum of sea-based nations came to mind. The working title is GIN: Group of Island Nations

Premise

We could discuss common socio-economical topics challenges as economic development, trade and shipping, ecology, fishing, and much more. Because there'd probably be some shared problems and solutions there. Different from those other, land-based neighbours. 

Leadership. From a practical point of view, perhaps rotating leadership role where the Secretary-General changes every 6 months.

Agenda. The Sec-Gen is responsible for organising a conference on 1 topic. That's not too much pressure to post. Look to the PIF for more RL inspiration. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islands_Forum Or a similar RP organisation in Forest. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=392607

Setting. Founding this somewhere in the 1970s would make sense. This would place it after the events taking place in The Law of the Sea (1959).

Any interest?

Off the top of my head, I'd ask these players if they're interested:

1. @Andalla 
  2. @Asgeirria
  3. @Astriedan
  4. @Bulgenstaz 
  5. @Gallambria 
  6. @Kipan 
  7. @Llalta 
  8. @Little Flau
  9. @Miiros 
  10. @Orioni 
  11. @Oyus 
  12. @Pallamara
  13. @Sancti Imperii Catholico 
  14. @Selayar
  15. @Seylos 
  16. @Sunset Sea Islands 
  17. @Synturia

I'll attach a quick poll to gauge the amount of interest. If there is >50% positive votes, this can be considered a viable idea and we move onto establishing further details.

I've updated the premise (see first post) to include some possible backstory. Do let me know if anyone has a problem with placing this in the 1970's.

I also am interested in knowing which series of events would be the most entertaining to kick-off this story.

On 12/14/2018 at 1:02 AM, Orioni said:

I also am interested in knowing which series of events would be the most entertaining to kick-off this story.

Quoting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islands_Forum

From August 5–7, 1971, the first meeting of the South Pacific Forum was initiated by New Zealand and held in Wellington, with attendants of the following seven countries: the President of Nauru, the Prime Ministers of Western Samoa, Tonga and Fiji, the Premier of the Cook Islands, the Australian Minister for External Territories, and the Prime Minister of New Zealand. It was a private and informal discussion of a wide range of issues of common concern, concentrating on matters directly affecting the daily lives of the people of the islands of the South Pacific, devoting particular attention to trade, shipping, tourism, and education. Afterwards this meeting was held annually in member countries and areas in turn. In 1999, the 30th South Pacific Forum decided to transform into Pacific Islands Forum, with more extensive and formal way of discussion and organization. 

So I guess we could start this off with ministers of the economy or equivalents informally meeting in @Gallambria and discussing how to improve island economies and how to become more resillient against natural catastrophes.

• 1 month later...

Circling back to this, I'd like to provide a quick update.

Timing

After the Antargic Council RP is finished, I want to do a quick EOS roundtable.

I plan on starting GIN in the month after that. This will probably be March.

Theme

I'll open the RP with a general description of our situation in the 1970's, as described in the first post. I've done some quick mathematics and figure we can have a similar event compared to the oil crisis. In RL this happens in 1973. I want to place it in 1974, referencing some troubles elsewhere.

The main reason for starting GIN will be rising energy prices and its effect on our shipping costs. If we can pull together we might be able to pressure oil suppliers to lower these prices.

Additionally, I want to table some environmental concerns as well.

I forget the precise details, but wasn't the IRL oil crisis somewhat precipitated by Western (and others') support for Israel during the Yom Kippur War?

Do you have a similar reason for triggering an Eurth oil crisis, or reasons for one happening in the first place?

And there is an environmental conference happening in modern times.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:33 PM, Tagmatium Rules said:

I forget the precise details, but wasn't the IRL oil crisis somewhat precipitated by Western (and others') support for Israel during the Yom Kippur War? Do you have a similar reason for triggering an Eurth oil crisis, or reasons for one happening in the first place?

At the moment we haven't defined a crisis in the 1970's. I wish to reference one without naming it explicitly, who is involved or where it is taking place. 'The event which must not be named.' I'd like to place it in the seventies because historical RP's are nice to do. And it permits extending this timeline into the present.

Delving in the war you mentioned it possible. But that requires another story.

There's the 2nd Argic war that supposedly ends in this period. But I'm not sure if it involves oil prices or not. https://iiwiki.us/wiki/Timeline_of_major_events_on_Eurth#20th_Century

• 1 month later...

This weekend I want to launch the GIN storyline. I'll do this by sketching the prologue, and introducing some characters from the 1970's. No current characters will be in existence back then.

Clean slate. Old tech. No internet. Old jets.

Just sticking my head in to offer a couple of thoughts after seeing this.

First, might be a bit late for this, but why not name it "General Assembly of Island Nations"? That sounds a bit more official and formal than just 'group'. Also GAIN sounds cooler. :P

Also since it's the 70's, if there's any military conflict that happens I expect there to be old school F-4 Phantom dogfights. And I'm not just saying that because I've been on a massive jet fighter kick since Ace Combat 7 came out.

Edited by Vocenae (see edit history)
On 3/8/2019 at 5:58 AM, Vocenae said:

but why not name it "General Assembly of Island Nations"? That sounds a bit more official and formal than just 'group'

That's all very possible. For starters, though, let's start out as a talking shop in the 1970s. Low-key collaboration on specific issues that al island nations deal with. Skipping forward in time we can let it evolve into an assembly (or not). Compare it to have plenty of RL organisations evolved. The initial setup would still be similar to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islands_Forum

Everyone who wanted to participate: the prologue is ready. It outlines the economic problems we face and share.

Some notes before we go forward:

1. Host city. I'm looking for a partner to host this first informal meeting.
  2. People. This'll be just a regular chat. It can involve your 1974 head of state, foreign affairs or economy ministers. Just don't recycle the same people. This event is taking place 45 years ago. None of your existing characters will have been around.
  3. Invitation. You've already confirmed your participation, so... We'll just say that everyone else is allowed to show up. Someone will have told someone else and the invitation was passed along.
  4. Outcome. Formation of GIN. This includes appointing a secretary-general.

Replying from Big O reaching out on Discord ~

I wouldn't mind hosting the first informal meeting, though I feel it would make more sense that a larger island country or likely more significant one at this point in history to hold it. I do not take issue hosting, however. I am not one to shy away from hosting an event, heh.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:48 AM, Oyus said:

I feel it would make more sense that a larger island country or likely more significant one at this point in history to hold it.

Since the SSI have also hosted the Laws of the Sea conference, the first meeting could also happen in the SSI, although I don't want to focus too much attention on myself, especially because of my recent lack of participation. Thematically it would make sense though, wouldn't it? This could also lead to some atomic cooperation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hosts

So we have 3 volunteers for hosting this. That's nice. This will serve as our list for figuring out the next years of this RP. Once the organisation has been founded we can skip ahead relatively fast.

• 1974: Kipan
  • 1975: SIC
  • 1976: Oyus
  • 1977: SSI
  • Etc.

Secretary-General

We just follow the easy principle of having that year's host also be the sec-gen. You run the agenda. And you also have to host the thing. By the time we hit the 2010s I'm sure everyone will have had their turn.

Next steps

1. I'll reply to the existing posts.
  2. @Kipan will get to host the first round of GIN. Pick a city and we'll make it the $cityname Accords.
  3. We'll make our way over there. Send either a foreign affairs wonk or economist or both.
  4. Complain about prices, bring other topics into the mix.
  5. Decide to found GIN

Everyone who's late to the game can just show up. IC you can say the invite was forwarded. I guess the 1970s were a bit more informal than today.

aZUvtz4.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Sunset Sea Islands said:
On 3/10/2019 at 1:48 AM, Oyus said:

I feel it would make more sense that a larger island country or likely more significant one at this point in history to hold it.

Since the SSI have also hosted the Laws of the Sea conference, the first meeting could also happen in the SSI, although I don't want to focus too much attention on myself, especially because of my recent lack of participation. Thematically it would make sense though, wouldn't it? This could also lead to some atomic cooperation.

Turns out this was my 1000th post and I didn't even realise. 🎉

• 1 month later...

After 5 weeks of pause, I finally got around to kicking the ball forward. The prologue with exposition is over. We fast forward in time. Everyone is in Kipan, at a location in Nakazima as chosen by @Kipan.

This chapter 1 will include:

• shared concerns,
  • possible solutions,
  • figuring out with GIN will do,
  • setup a rotating chairmanship every X years,
  • the signing of a Nakazima Declaration (= goal of chapter 1).

Chapter 2 will take place a few years in the future. We fast-forward and explain what's been developed and realized.

• 1 month later...