Royal Family looking for home

Hello y'all,

To start off with, this is my first forum post outside my own newsroom and such so if I posted this to the wrong place, I do apologize.

Whilst creating my iiwiki history page, I noticed that I need a place for my royal family to flee to in 1841. The story is that the first emperor dies before his heir is of age. Before the heir becomes old enough to rise to the throne, a republic is declared resulting in the overthrowing of the monarchy. The emperor-to-be was Eustache II de Génovève-Bouveron (name in progress). The story would be that the royal family fled away fearing persecution from the Republic. Fast-forward to today, Eustache V de Génovève-Bouveron is the living heir to the Shffahkian throne. Having him in your nation wouldn't really require any RP on your part unless you wish to use the line of royals in exile. Nevertheless,  having the living heir to my historical throne would certainly give you political influence in Shffahkia if there ever were to be a monarchist revival, cough cough.

Thank you for your time.

My suggestion: Have them flee to Variota.

The idea behind it is really simple. Variotan traders would've been everywhere at that time, looking to earn a buck. What does royalty like? Luxury goods, spices, drinks, etc.

The way I see it, the previous Emperor could have been buying his items from a Variotan trader of some importance. He dies, his heir has to flee. Generally speaking, there is always some time in which trouble brews. Could be they sensed that and sent out a trusted messenger to attempt to gain passage to Variota. While we're a republic, there was never any strong anti-monarchy forces as the Variotans simply never had any royalty. The trader accepts, presumably for some selfish reason like thinking having an exiled monarch in his debt could give him prestige or influence, and they flee to Variota during the night; presumably the royal family would have grabbed some crown jewels and other important things. 

From there on out, there are multiple interesting twists that could happen. Could be they simply pay whatever fees needed to gain entry into the nation and become citizens, could be that they get sponsored by one of the five Variotan Klans (essentially large, prominent and wealthy families by then) or Klan Reierfer (the sixth, larger, less prominent, less wealthy. Basically the equivalent of rednecks. Maintain their own state within Het Huisselant.) and get set-up in the nation by them, etc. Royalty, even in exile, would have been a major prestige boon for one of the Klans, essentially a great fashion accessory for events and such.

Why not flee to Bulgenstaz? We are a secluded, underdeveloped nation with considerable untapped natural resources. It could even be possible for the family to gain political influence depending on their location. In fact, at the time of their deposal Bulgenstaz was a colony under the Principality of Minsk. It would be easy for the family to establish a considerable holding in some remote village within Bulgenstazi territory and could (who knows) have acquired significant influence in the region. The post-imperial Bulgenstazi government is happy to house important people, even if they are not currently in power back home. In this scenario there is no particular loss involved for the family, other than desired "disappearance".

I know that I already have Monin, but hey, I can't pass up an opportunity to possibly be able to influence Shffahkian politics even more.

The pros would be that Mauridiviah was at the time relatively stable, we pretty much had open borders so getting in wouldn't be hard, and with some cash those royals could become wealthy landowners. The cons are that they'd have to survive a plague in 1881 and the ensuing 42 years of civil war, as well as the fact that I have Monin.

Edited by Mauridiviah
Corrected a spelling mistake (see edit history)
12 minutes ago, Mauridiviah said:

I know that I already have Monin, but hey, I can't pass up an opportunity to possibly be able to influence Shffahkian politics even more.

The pros would be that Mauridiviah was at the time relatively stable, we pretty much had open borders so getting in wouldn't be hard, and with some cash those royals could become wealthy landowners. The cons are that they'd have to survive a plague in 1881 and the ensuing 42 years of civil war, as well as the fact that I have Monin.

Your open borders would’ve made it more dangerous for a royal family 

2 minutes ago, Neo-enclave said:

It makes it way easier for people wishing harm on them to enter now while we too had really relaxed borders. We still checked people at the border with rifle armed guards.

"Open borders" does not mean no guard posts or fences or whatever. "Open borders" means that you only need basic documentation to enter.

11 minutes ago, Neo-enclave said:

It makes it way easier for people wishing harm on them to enter now while we too had really relaxed borders. We still checked people at the border with rifle armed guards.

Anyone dedicated enough to sneak in to kill the royals could probably get into any country. Border security in the 1840s isn't exactly optimal for most nations.

It could definitely happen in Seylos, Seylos is still an absolute monarchy and as a result would respect royal lines. However it is worth noting that the current king, Aidan, has been reforming the government quite extensively though he is preserving the monarchy.