[OOC] Scramble for Antargis

Orioni

I need to find a way out of the stalemate without losing face. Some kind of hollow victory. Just not the HQ, because that'd just cost money. And the HQ is no use for spying on communications, if I'll soon be using the 5G networks of Gallambria and SSI, both of which are ISTC members.

In order of importance, I think what I want is:

1. For EOS to remain a recognised partner, even with the "whole military not allowed" argument. I'd argue that we signed the treaty, hosted a council, and were invited to the 3rd. That already indicates recognition and acceptance. Otherwise we'd lose the option for more drama later on.
  2. Patrol the Antargic coasts for security, delivering goods back and forth on those ice breakers. Potentially sell similar tech to other polar nations.
  3. Fix the search and rescue helicopters so they actually function in the cold climate. Something Aamotech can help with. I'll need to start a trade topic.
  4. (I've dropped the sharing of technical innovations. You could use it as a non-negotiable and Wayanor will give in to this.)
  5. (Drop any opposition to Variota's and Seylos plans for exploitation. Let's leave this door open for future disagreements.)

And in return Mr Wayanor can position himself as the person who:

1. Is a peace-maker for sharing the large Antargic zones with other nations. A nice PR moment that will help people forget about how much territory he actually gave away.
  2. Secure EOS recognition as an equal partner.

I think we've reached a fair compromise then. I'm happy with the points raised by @Orioni. There's still an air of uncertainty regarding the definition of EOS and how that fits into the treaty though.

As long as EOS backs down and allows equal zone management as proposed, I don't think there'll be any problems since there have been no issues thus far. However, since Wayanor has agreed that EOS is predominantly a military organisation, if anything fishy were to happen in the future there'd be a strong case to boot EOS out altogether. This allows EOS to remain involved in Antargis, but also allows future drama and hostility.

In conclusion, all sounds good. Remmen will be pleased.

• 1 month later...

With the latest update of @Salvia and the Discord discussions, I get the feeling we keep moving the goalpost. This is what it looks like from my point of view. 

• First it was about allowing in new members which is fine with me. The Aurelian League had already hinted at that.
  • Then it became about redefining the zones and that was always going to happen. A more equal share for all signatories.
  • Now it's about whether or not EOS remains a signatory to ARTHA or not.

On an OOC level I have no problem with the pushback. It makes the international relations more interesting. RL Antarctica has plenty of overlapping claims. It'd increase IC Eurth realism to have more disagreements. Less friendly, less Mary Sue do-gooders. I can also work with that. In the IC realm, if you want to push the EOS out, this 3rd council will end with Mr Wayanor walking away. That's also an interesting conclusion, but not really what we set out to do in the first place. 

Which scenario will it be?

• 9 months later...

The 3rd Antargic council was held in May 2020. I'm fast-forwarding to June 2020 to present my plan for a civilian organisation. So this was backdated to 11 months ago to fit within our existing storyline.

• 1 month later...

So where do we head next? How do we close the 3rd council?

From what I read in the original storyline, these were the main points to resolve:

1. Re-negotiate the zone management. OOC I'm open to sharing a larger piece of the pie. From 11/12 pieces to just 7/12. Reviewing Prymont's map that'd be 8-12 and 1-3 which amount to the Oriental Ocean area.
  2. Allowing new members. The 3rd council has Salvia, Variota and Seylos. How do we integrate them?
  3. No military organisations. As you may have read, the EOS splits off it's civilian agencies into a separate branch. (See above.)

Hi @Orioni,

Sorry to be the one dragging the RP behind once again. I do intend on getting things cleared up fairly quickly.

I assume you purposely left zone management out in your latest IC response. Your proposal here to maintain 7 zones isn't acceptable IMO. We have Salvia, Variota, Seylos, SSI, Girkmand, FdL, Miiros, and Prymont (plus TCSI if we count that as a separate entity) who are wanting zones. 9 into 5 doesn't go.

I imagine Miiros would share with Orioni, and I'm happy to conglomerate Girkmand into Prymont's share. We can get rid of FdL and have SSI pull out due to their recent troubles. If we allow the TCSI its own zone where the Simon Station is, we finally get 5 into 5. But I feel that's rather unfair.

OOC, you've had the advantage of essentially running the 2nd summit yourself and making up your own rules. Now we have to deal with that, and rightfully so it's done through RP, but there is opposition from Prymont, Salvia, and Seylos against Orioni/EOS. I appreciate you've already agreed to remove EOS and replace it with a civilian entity, but you'll still hold the vast majority of land in the continent which doesn't sit well with me.

The TCSI already have a base on the continent - Orioni does not. Prymont has committed to building a seed / gene bank on the continent - Orioni has offered to contribute, but this would be the first time they're setting foot on the continent and they're not the only contributors. Prymont is also taking a lead in the organisation with a permanent HQ. What has Orioni done, other than take advantage of an OOC situation in which nobody participated in the 2nd summit, to deserve such a huge slice of the pie?

If zone management is the thing we trip up on, I'd be happy for it to be the hill Prymont dies on. A new organisation can be made that opposes ARTHA and promises equality and cooperation on the continent, which so far, Orioni hasn't done. Is this up for negotiation or are you steadfast in this stance?

Thank you @Prymont for continuing this. I also want to wrap up this storyline.

OOC I have no issue with redrawing the zones. In the spirit of the original discussion, I would advise against having individual players stake a claim. 

This can be solved by adding Variota, Girkmand and Eurofuhrer, Salvia and Seylos to the TCSI-ISTC. I do think the Aurelian League should be involved since it's a relevant group of nearby nations. This could make 3 equally sized zones.

• 1-4: Aurelian League
  • 5-8: TCSI-ISTC
  • 9-12: CAOS
On 6/29/2021 at 9:32 PM, Prymont said:

The TCSI already have a base on the continent - Orioni does not. Prymont has committed to building a seed / gene bank on the continent - Orioni has offered to contribute, but this would be the first time they're setting foot on the continent and they're not the only contributors. Prymont is also taking a lead in the organisation with a permanent HQ. What has Orioni done, other than take advantage of an OOC situation in which nobody participated in the 2nd summit, to deserve such a huge slice of the pie?

I wrote about building icebreakers first to be able to get there. The next step would be a port somewhere. And then a polar base inland.

23 hours ago, Orioni said:

In the spirit of the original discussion, I would advise against having individual players stake a claim. 

If this is an IC objection, could you make the point in the IC thread? So far there hasn't been any participant voicing concerns against one nation managing one zone.

23 hours ago, Orioni said:

This can be solved by adding Variota, Girkmand and Eurofuhrer, Salvia and Seylos to the TCSI-ISTC. I do think the Aurelian League should be involved since it's a relevant group of nearby nations. This could make 3 equally sized zones.

That would depend on Variota and Girkmand (not including Eurofuhrer since they're not on the map) applying to the TCSI. I'm happy to incorporate Girkmand as their NPC manager, but this is something Variota would need to do - if they agreed with it. Additionally, I don't see why we should include the Aurelian League in something they've not participated in.

• Similar Content

• By Prymont
      Football's coming home, and that's reminded me that we're coming up on the 2022 Wurld Cup. Last time out, the victors were the Sunset Sea Islands. Since they can't host the tournament for obvious reasons, I figure we can open it up for applications like they do IRL. Additionally, we can replicate the continental tournaments as qualifiers - or, if there aren't enough nations, it can be a sort of warm-up tournament. 
      By my reading of the map, Argis is the only continent with enough active players to host a tournament - the rest of you lot would have to group up. Yuck. I'm happy to take the lead on Argis, and I understand @Oyus has an interest in handling things too, so between the both of us we can figure out the qualifiers stage and prepare for the 2022 Wurld Cup.
      I suppose this post is just putting the feelers out - seeing who's interested and who would participate. We can use a match generator for the fixtures, we have lineup builders, and kit designers. 

Calendar:
      Now - July 18: gauging interest, menial behind-the-scenes planning July 19 - end of July: tournament planning & buildup August: tournaments start & finish  
      For now, we can see where we're at with active participants so we can see which continents need grouping together to have enough teams. Let's get ready for a summer of football!
    • By Tagmatium Rules
      Just thought about making an OOC thread, so we can sort out the aims of our different nations.

I assume Rennd's fighting for control of the island and the resources there.

Deltannia's fighting to stop Rennd's grasping, as are the Mongol-Swedes.

There is a Tagmatine force to shore up the Renndian forces and enable them to retain control of the island.

The Aristocracy forces are being deployed to test their armaments and back up the Deltannian units.

That's all well and good, but I can see some problems arising. Aristo's deployment maybe one, as Delt didn't give permission yet, as well as the attack on the airfield didn't give Rennd much of a chance to fight back against the attack.

But, we're here to discuss!
    • By Faramount
      Link to IC topic
      I've been working on a draft of a simplified version of the major conventions pertaining to the law of the sea. I'll get into specific provisions later, but this would provide a baseline for maritime law, allowing us to operate for the most part based on the real life rules. My thought is we could RP this convention occurring (and actually debate the couple of interesting noteworthy issues), and then just establish that the many smaller RL maritime rules were subsequently adopted by the international organization created by this convention. My thought is that this convention should happen 1-2 decades after a major global conflict, and should be based in the main port of a major maritime power.
      Would people be interested in participating? Any ideas on when/where the convention should occur?