Map v4: Discussion

Of all the ideas listed above I personally like proposal v7b the best. It doesn't deform the continent we already know. There is a clear chain of islands extending to the south and southwest. Since Sa Hara is not in the north, I like to see more land closer to home.

ย 

user posted image

ย 

The new continent has plenty of room in different climate zones closer and further from the Equator. Looking at your arctic and tropical circles, there is a some good farming land up north. It actually looks bigger than Europa, which will wean us off being too old-world centric. Almost makes me want to moving my nation over there.

ย 

What I do think you should still add is perhaps either one large or several smaller islands between the north of continent E (Europa) and continent 1. I would like to imagine that, if there might not have been a land bridge between the two continents, then at least there could have been an easy way for sailors to discover this. Maybe from Adaptus or Suverina or even Tagmatium and Vocenae. All of them are close enough for their fishing ships or explorers to get lost in the arctic sea.

Just a little thing that I believe you might want to keep in mind. Due to the waters from the Caribbean flowing north towards England and Europe, areas which would have much harsher winters do not. The temperate and warm zone on the new continent could start out wide in the west and then narrow and move further south the more east you go.

ย 

These are just some idle thoughts... Oh, we should also break down the climates into sub-categories seeing as continental is much harsher than maritime, and Mediterranean is down right heavenly.

Edited by Derthalen (see edit history)

The poll on our expanded map is up on NationStates.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=poll/p=95890

ย 

Just a little thing that I believe you might want to keep in mind. Due to the waters from the Caribbean flowing north towards England and Europe, areas which would have much harsher winters do not. The temperate and warm zone on the new continent could start out wide in the west and then narrow and move further south the more east you go.

Certainly. This is all part of the plan. Once we have settled on the final placement of our continents, I will add the ocean currents and the prevailing winds.

ย 

These are just some idle thoughts... Oh, we should also break down the climates into sub-categories seeing as continental is much harsher than maritime, and Mediterranean is down right heavenly.

The next step after that will be the K?ppen climate classification.

I also agree with 7B is the best. Since Afropa is on the equator it is probably bigger on reality. Will there be other African nations in the new land?

Depends on who joins. So far I am the only new world nation.

What I do think you should still add is perhaps either one large or several smaller islands between the north of continent E (Europa) and continent 1. I would like to imagine that, if there might not have been a land bridge between the two continents, then at least there could have been an easy way for sailors to discover this. Maybe from Adaptus or Suverina or even Tagmatium and Vocenae. All of them are close enough for their fishing ships or explorers to get lost in the arctic sea.

Good idea. Thanks. I'll add another island on that location. I received some images from @Suverina that includes a larger version of the Falkland islands. Perhaps I can resize those, and add them up there as a former land bridge. The Falklands show a rough coastline that would fit with such an subarctic location. I'll whip up a proposal v7C tonight.

plane.gif I am looking really forward to exploring this world of the west!

First you are going to have to deal with me. The new big bad guy!

ย 

76.gif

Check it. This is what our larger world looks like.

ย 

user posted imagehttps://i.imgur.com/5mkDqAG.png

ย 

Cartographer's notes.

1. Size of this new map is huge: 4000 x 2000 pixels. (I wanted 6000 x 3000 pixels but this crashed my little laptop.)
  2. Capital cities are shown. All others are not shown. If you want a map with all your cities, a blank map of your area can be provided.
  3. New requests that were sent in Juni 2017 weren't processed yet. This will be done by the next update. Please don't take this personally. You will be taken care of in order of joining.
  4. Colours are set to change in future versions as we continue to learn. This yellow-ish for nations is ugly, I know, but at least you can read the text.
  5. Topography (height) is under construction. Europa's old topography will be copied. New lands will be designed from scratch.
  6. Bodies of water (ocean, sea, bay, etc.) will keep their old names. These need to be copied. New ones will be thought out.
  7. Rivers were not fully copied. I am working on a fix that allows for maximum flexibility.
  8. Continents don't yet have a name. We will open this discussion soon so stay tuned.

Obviously, Europa will remain Europa.

9. Ocean currents: under construction.
  10. Prevailing winds: under construction.
  11. Tectonic plates: under construction.
  12. Climates (K?ppen?Geiger): under construction

PS: There is also this 3D globe for you to play with. https://www.maptoglobe.com/Hk3YQ9FEW

The red circle should draw your attention to the following.

ย 

- Green. I would like to name the waters inside the green lines the Dolch-See, as I think that due to its unique geography the waters would be rather violent.

ย 

- Red. The area inside the red lines I would like to call the Thalkonn Channel.

ย 

I am hoping to have my nation in that area due to its unique and down right awesome geography. Hopefully, it has the right climate

ย 

user posted image

ย 

I am posting this here as it is somewhat relevant.

Edited by Orioni (see edit history)

I have been chatting with Orioni about the map over the last couple days and I have noticed this funny, unintentional detail:

user posted image

Orioni: Two Europa's for the price of one.

@Derthalen: "Germany" would be a nice place for you as well, but you know best where your nation should be. (This does not include full world domination. biggrin.gif )

ย 

I am currently trying to work out the plate tectonics of the world and it's looking quite good so far. I think I will be able to finish it over the course of the week.

Since I've got a bit of time on my hands today I'll scan through all of the map requests which were posted on the Discord, take notes and provide Orioni with it.

I'm so happy with the way the map turned out. It's beautiful! (As always I enjoy the globe the most 2-thumbup.gif )

There's a lot of work still left to do, but I'm sure this map will get even better over time!

As always, great work Orioni!

I have been chatting with

I am currently trying to work out the plate tectonics of the world and it's looking quite good so far. I think I will be able to finish it over the course of the week.

Actually, I was thinking about some lake formations on the map which related to plate tectonics.

ย 

user posted image

ย 

I am not sure if you can see it, but if you follow that grey line you might notice that those lakes look like they are being made through tectonics. I am guessing that the plates are moving away from each other.

ย 

Also,that is a funny coincident.

Edited by Derthalen (see edit history)

24 hours and already a small practical update.

ย 

user posted image

Image: http://i.imgur.com/r2ABPgG.png

Album: https://imgur.com/a/bpQVR

ย 

Cartographer's notes.

1. Capitals are now marked by a star. This forces me to use font-smoothing for this text.

2. Arctic is corrected so the east and west side connect. You will also notice how the Arctic coastline looks much rougher.

3. UBPSSIF. A better version for Futanarien and Dobbyisfree.
@Derthalen: If that is the location you would like to settle your nation, I'm sure you will have dibs on the local names.

ย 

@Sunset Sea Islands: Com-plete-ly unintentional!

@Prymont: Thank you for making this clear. Once rules for the new map have been established, I'll guide you through it. You joined us right as we're transitioning. Which is exciting and also patience-requiring. Fortunately, loads of time for RP writing.

ย 

48 hours and a third update.

ย 

Blanco map. A minimal map, for your editing pleasure. I don't think this will change much anymore. https://i.imgur.com/26pMbZJ.png

ย 

user posted image

ย 

Ocean currents. Consider this proposal v1, a crude trial at making sense. This will evolve and may look very different by v10. To make sure the people up North on the old continent don't freeze, I have re-created the North Atlantic Current.

https://i.imgur.com/xeRB9nh.png

ย 

user posted image

ย 

Prevailing winds. Just some dummy arrows, based on RL wind patterns. It looks weird, I know, but that's how it seems to work. This map will also evolve over time, once the topography (~mountains) becomes more clear. https://i.imgur.com/vj7rkFD.png

ย 

user posted image

ย 

RL comparison. This will probably be the most controversial. Our world superimposed on RL Earth should help figure out the climates. https://i.imgur.com/mF9dtJ2.png

ย 

user posted image

My big thing is that all the new, active nations that have joined should be moved over to new locations on the new continents. Other than that, they all look fine, O.

There are a few "older" new nations which have requested to live on mainland Europa before the new map version was published and forcing them to move over now seems kind of unfair, doesn't it? There are a few who want to live overseas tho.

ย 

Maybe we should have a poll about wether we should lock the old continent for players who join the region after a deadline. Although I wouldn't mind new nations living on mainland Europa I wouldn't mind locking it either. If we would decide to lock mainland Europa we could forge some kind of treaty to enlarge the nations to fill out the gaps inbetween.

ย 

Nevertheless I think it would be unacceptable to deny the "older new members" the plots they have applied for beforehand.

That was sort of the whole point when I suggested creating the new continents to O. tongue.gif

ย 

The original Europa map has all the history attached to it so it made more sense for the new players to have their own new continent to do stuff on, rather than have the old one used at all. That way there's no trampling of the old lore and the nations that used to be there are preserved while all you new guys can go hog wild in making your own history with the new lands.

There are several nations left which have applied for plots on mainland Europa. I just think that we should let them have these plots.

ย 

Plot 70: Fleur de Lys

Plot 79: Cristina

Plot 36, 96 or 97 (we'll have to ask him about that): Paeca

Plot 78: Jinhao

Plot 179: The Eurofuhrer

ย 

Nevertheless I think there should be a poll on wether we should lock mainland Europa or not ASAP. I am fine with either result since I do have my pretty isolated islands in the middle of the ocean. 2-thumbup.gif

ย 

Derthalen and Prymont have already shown interest in areas of the new continents.

Then there was no point in creating the new continents at all, then. Literally the only reason to have new landmasses created was to lock Classical Europa and prevent new players from joining it thus preserving the community history there. While encouraging the new players to strike out and create their own chapter in the history of this region.

ย 

Otherwise Orioni just did a whole lot of work for literally no reason at all. The new players (if not all within the last year, then definitely all of not currently on the Classical Europa map) should go to the map that was designed specifically for them, and not be added to Classical Europa.

Edited by Vocenae (see edit history)