Map v4: Discussion

Orioni

Accouncement for readers (added in July 2017): This topic has turned into so much more than a discussion about longitudes. Because the discussion has grown overly long and detailed, I will add some internal links to help later readers.

1. Position of Equator and Arctic Circle (27/jan/2016 -- 12/aug/2016)
  2. Size of Europa-content compared to full globe (14/aug/2016 -- 7/feb/2017)
  3. Proposals to expand and add more continents (11/apr/2017 -- 30/jun/2017)
  4. Voted upon larger version for the Map of Europa v4, with different layers of information (4/jul/2017 -- ongoing)
  5. Continent names (17/jul/2017 -- ongoing)

user posted image

Europa is located mostly above the equator. The climate map clearly shows this. What I would like to know is where to place the following markers.

1. The Equator. I believe that, since Jilderen is farthest south, he should get to state if he wants to have it run over his nation or not.
  2. Arctic Circle. I would to hear the opinion of Adaptus and especially Vocenae on this.

Once I have this information, I will add it to the next update of our geography. Based on this information, I will also be able to add the Tropic of Cancer. And based on these three, I can also add latitudinal and longitudinal lines.

About the equator, placing it in the area of Jilderen would make that area tropical, right?

"Red: dry, hot summer, warm winter" Doesn't sound very tropical, at least not the tropical weather along the equator, or anywhere near it.

The southern zone is described as having a dry climate. Adding an equator in the Southern zone would basically force us to re-configure the entire climate arrangement. Would it not?

Well,that makes Jilderen a tropical paradise it seems. Lush jungles, monkey screams echoing in the background as birds with flamboyant feathers are chased by giant wasps. Mangrove forests filled with the oddest types of fish and tourists exploring it all under strict supervision... Well, that's how I imagine it at least.

This is just a dummy version. By the end of February I should have a more detailed proposal ready. I will make one based off the current climate map with 5 zones, and a more detailed one based on the same, but taking mountain ranges etc. into consideration. Once we have an agreement on that, there can be 4 seasons as well.

1) For now, I just would like to know about those two horizontal circle of latitude. smile.gif With the Equator (0°) and Arctic circle (66° North) defined, it becomes easier to do weather. Since we are only in the northern hemisphere, this should be fairly easy to do. I won't speculate on what's up there in the arctic (90° north), nor south of the equator. There will however be a Tropic of <InsertName> (23° north) which we can vote on.

2) It also allows for finally fixing a map size and distances. The Arctic Circle runs is approx. 66° north of the Equator. That's about 4600 miles or 7400 kilometers. That's Africa to Scandinavia, so much much bigger than RL Europa.

3) Once we have distances, there can be timezones. According to Wikipedia the timezones are spaced approx. 15° apart. That gives us at least 3 timezones, probably 5 and perhaps even 7. But that's a discussion for another time perhaps.

A bit more detailed map with those things can be quite interesting yes. Taking in accoung mountain ranges and such will have a significant impact on climate. Warm and cold ocean currents too. Map size, also interesting. Still, I'd be surprised how we can fit our billions of citizens in such small countries. Timezones are even weirder, for hard lines would assume the nations actually follow it (let alone daylight saving time) and all that.

In short: I'm interested in how this works out!

Still, I'd be surprised how we can fit our billions of citizens in such small countries.

Perhaps we live in a world of hobbits that only take up a quarter of the space?

Or we can apply the 1% rule. Reduce your NS population by a factor of 100. For RP that would work out. New, smaller nations would start out as just 1 city I guess. You'd end up with the following realistic results:

Afropa at 1% has 2,8 million (cf. Albania)

Jilderen at 1% has 47 million (cf. Spain)

Adaptus at 1% has 146 million (cf. Russia)

Suverina at 1% has 169 million (cf. Bangladesh)

Emakera at 1% has 179 million (cf. Nigeria)

Orioni at 1% has 254 million (cf. Indonesia)

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...s_by_population

Still, the population growth seems to be rather unnatural.

Well, NS isn't exactly realistic in several ways. What'll it be something like 20 million per year in growth?

We don't really use the populations that much when roleplaying. We've managed fine with the population growth.

I think it'd be very hard for us to create our own population growth model. I don't know why NS has to have such ridiculously high populations and growth, but I guess we're kind of stuck basing it on that. Or we could have all nations have a 2 million minimum, so they have 2 million until they pass 200 million inhabitants. (Regarding new nations, so they don't start out with a few hundred thousand people)

Economy is also difficult in NS, my GDP per capita is twice that of O's, but RP wise I don't consider my economy to be that much stronger. Before NS introduced GDP I compared using NS calculators, but that led to me not roleplaying when chosing issue options as I went for the options that gave me the best stats in the calculator. Now I'm fully roleplaying my stance on issues again, which is good.

I do have an idea for how GDP per capita could be calculated based on NS numbers to balance it out.

The idea I was toying around with in my head was that we'd decide on a base GDP per capita, some average or something. Let's say it's 200 000. My GDP per capita is 307 000. I would then take 307-200=107 then take 30% of that (32) and calculate 200+32 giving me a GDP per capita if 232 000.

O having a GDP per capita of 145 000 would count 200-145=65. 30% of 65 is 20. That would be calculated as 200-20=180. Which would make our difference in GDP per capita 52 000 instead of 160 000. Making it more even.

Or we can just keep it very abstract.

Edited by Suverina (see edit history)
  • 6 months later...

To revisit this open issue, I think we have had enough time to discuss. I will move forward with the input shared here.

1) Equator.

Ah, the infamous equator. What would a man (or woman) do without it? Oh, woe is he (or she, or it, or whatever gender they prefer) but we shall have one! My proposal? Just above the humble island of Riosna. Places my capital on the sputhern half  ninja.gif

2) Arctic Circle.

I have some ideas about the arctic circle. I'll get back to you on that.
Feel free to get answer. wink.gif Right now I am going to draw the line just above old Deltannia.

Good morning everyone.

Now that we have defined the equator and arctic circle, I would like to share with you this reference map of Earth, with Europa superimposed.

You can see where the equator goes through Jilderen in the south, and where the arctic circle skirts Deltannia in the north.

What we learn from this is the approximate size of Europa: 7400 km north-to-south (4600 miles). Since our map is approx. 1800x1800 pixels you could claim that each pixel is 4 km (2,5 miles).

user posted image

This leads to new questions.

1. Is this big enough? Does this cover all our needs?

1.1. If no, how do we increase our size? Stretch things a bit further north and south? Surely this would influence climates, but we can explain it away with ocean currents.

1.2. If yes, do we choose to add other continents?

1.2.2. If no, then we'll be all alone on an ocean planet. There will probably be icy north and south poles, but nothing more. We can explain it away by resizing our planet and making it smaller or changing the axis tilt.

1.2.1. If yes, this will influence our RP canon. But it would also allow for renewed interest and possibilities. Perhaps there is an unexplored colonial era. Perhaps there is a south pole continent that is known but uncolonised (cf. neutral Antarctica in real-world Earth).

• 5 months later...

I think it covers our needs but I think should be bigger, stretching it would probably work. I think adding other continents would be good, because like you said, it does give opportunities for a colonial RP. I mean that's what i think, but I don't have much say on this.

• 2 months later...

1. Is this big enough? Does this cover all our needs?

1.1. If no, how do we increase our size? Stretch things a bit further north and south? Surely this would influence climates, but we can explain it away with ocean currents.

1.2. If yes, do we choose to add other continents?

1.2.2. If no, then we'll be all alone on an ocean planet. There will probably be icy north and south poles, but nothing more. We can explain it away by resizing our planet and making it smaller or changing the axis tilt.

1.2.1. If yes, this will influence our RP canon. But it would also allow for renewed interest and possibilities. Perhaps there is an unexplored colonial era. Perhaps there is a south pole continent that is known but uncolonised (cf. neutral Antarctica in real-world Earth).

Dear friends.

With almost 1 year having passed since I posed this question, I believe the time has come to move forward. Reviewing the above proposal, it is my opinion that we should work to achieve option 1.2.1 (see above).

My aim will be to:

- create a more realistic world in terms of geography (see image below)

- add features such as: continents, biomes, ocean currents, time zones, etc.

- create a "new world" for colonies and exploration in the historical RP forum.

- have a wider ranges of allies and enemies in the MT RP.

- allow for NPC to spice up the RP's with more diverse characters.

user posted image

I will be creating a poll on the RMB to gather any last comments before going ahead.