RP 1910's/1920's

So, I had some spare time so I thought I'd post it today.

Who wants to be in?

My thoughts are that it should be based quite much on the great war and the time surrounding it.

I guess that the fighting will begin between Tagmatium and Suverina. Perhaps most of the fighting taking place (at least in the beginning) in province 165. Later on the war can be spread to other provinces, and if people wish, other nations.

I want to do a looong RP, there really isn't any need to focus and the ending of it, let's just focus on making it good. Of course there might be some technological advances, but I'd rather keep them scarce and focuse on making a shorter period of time last for quite a long time rp-wise.

I don't have that many ideas yet. But sofar I think that I want to base my nation and it's organization and equipment on Austria-Hungary, with a slightly more eastern touch that is. That is, if anyone doesn't have anything against it.

Nations that there can be material found for are besides A-H:

Germany

France

Britain

Russia

Japan

Ottoman Empire

Italy

USA

Belgium

I guess those are nations there will be easy to find materials for, other nations with quite a good amount of material would perhaps be:

Serbia

Greece

Rumania(?)

Bulgaria(?)

Suitable material would be able to be found from both sides of the Russian civil war, so someone could base stuff from Red Russia if they want to do an early communist nation.

Trench warfare, bayonets and big ships with big guns!

I really thought the bold part needed to be separate. It sort of summons the fighting up, there's of course a lot more to it. Perhaps also should be remembered, war is hell and not cool, even though big ships with big guns are extremely cool when not actually in deadly action.

For inspiration one can read some wikipedia articles, I'd recomon on top of my head; Russo-Japanese war, World War 1 and the Russian Civil War. Than there are of course a ton of smaller articles relating to the above topics.

user posted image

So, thoughts, ideas?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be in defanitly.

I think it would be pretty cool to utilise some old fashioned Cavalry too. I'd love to see that go down. Expect me to be on Tag's side too, what with us being long time allies. Not sure how much involved I would get militarily. But defanitly expect some heat from me biggrin.gif

To be fair though, it would not be long after our civil war, so we would have a pretty eager military and plently of surpplus. Possibly some old factions within Adaptus could aid Suv too.

I think it'd be cool kicking off over something somewhat trivial - how the Crimean War sort of kicked off over the idea of who takes control of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem - the Catholics (supported by the French) or the Orthodox (supported by the Russians). A similar idea would be fairly easy-ish to start, concerning that Suverina and Tagmatium have a similar culture so would probably be ready to start a conflict, probably civil in origin, over the control of some religious establishment that had a shared place in the two nations' cultures.

@Taggie,

Sounds like a good idea. However, do you have any idea on exactly what religious thing we should fight over?

If the fighting should begin in province 165, we could have something religious to be located in that province. (?) That would give me a reason to enter it and then Tagmatium could enter it to throw Suverina out.

@Adaptus,

Of course horse mounted cavalry will be included initially! Just as they were in 1914. cool.gif

However, Civil wars damage nations a lot. They ruin industrial capacity, creates longlasting instability. And usually the surplus that is left after such a war aren't of the highest quality, much is improvised and hastily manufactured. However it does grant some experience to your troops.

I think you should start your part about the whole post-civil war situation, about reorganizing and rebuilding your nation. Also you could include some of the defeated factions fleeing to Suverina. (If so, they will of course later from some Voluntary Corps)

In the beginning your contribution could be quite small but grow in time as your nation rises from the ashes.

Your largest reason to join the war could be that you believe in a quick victory and if achieved it would bring stability to your nation again.

Well the Civil War is about 50 years in the past so we would probably be at the point at which we were ready to spread our wings a bit. The surrplus I was talking about was more in the line of manpower and supplies, coal, generals and the like. Could have some possibility to form some Swiss style mercs, but more modernised.

Adaptus would be probably not be willing to get too involved to begin with, but could be dragged into it more violently later on after say a direct threat from Suv. How does that sound...

As for the religious thing, why not focus on the discover of say the remains of an ancient temple similar to that of the Temple of Jerusalem, and both nations could claim holy rule over it, with Suv being the one to make the first move and send in troop...

Well the Civil War is about 50 years in the past so we would probably be at the point at which we were ready to spread our wings a bit. The surrplus I was talking about was more in the line of manpower and supplies, coal, generals and the like. Could have some possibility to form some Swiss style mercs, but more modernised.

Adaptus would be probably not be willing to get too involved to begin with, but could be dragged into it more violently later on after say a direct threat from Suv. How does that sound...

As for the religious thing, why not focus on the discover of say the remains of an ancient temple similar to that of the Temple of Jerusalem, and both nations could claim holy rule over it, with Suv being the one to make the first move and send in troop...

Well, yhea, that's quite a long time and most likely more than enough time to lick your wounds.

Perhaps you would be dragged in when Suverinian submarines launch a campaign against your merchant fleet. It would be quite logical for you to supply Tagmatium with supplies and we would of course want to stop that.

Perhaps there's a monastery or some other religious establishment in neutral territory (plot 165, wasn't it?) and the last abbot has died, and one of our two nations decided to install a new one who is more loyal to their cause. However, this new appointee isn't very popular, and riots against this person kick off. They are rapidly crushed, but not before the monastery has sustained heavy damage and the appointee injured or killed.

This angers which ever nation that had installed the puppet abbot and a small police force is dispatched to arrest those who killed the man. This is also resisted, and so a military force is sent instead.

And everything snowballs from there.

Would this be a mobile war, or a trench one?

I want to use cavalry!

And armoured trains.

I thought it would be much like the west front, initially mobile but later on static trench warfare.

I guess our nations would be leaning against traditions and such so we both will field large numbers of cavalry formations. However, later on they will be forced to mostly fight dismounted.

I would count my j?gers and cavalry as "elite" forces, just as was common.

There are lots of room for armoured trains! cool.gif

And railway artillery! dance9bh.gif

I'll work a bit on the plot idea and will come up with a suggestion.

user posted image

This is my proposal for a plot. Taggie, feel free to change or add as much as you'd like. Others are of course welcome to contribute with suggestions as well! smile.gif

?The Great War?

Nations initially involved:

The Archduchy of Suverina

The Greater Holy Empire of Tagmatium (Same name as now?)

user posted image

The Holy City of Hierosylem, located in the Holy Nation of Hierosylem.

Several holy temples and sites related to Christianity. The Western Christian Orthodox Church was founded in the city.

The Archbishop is the ruler of Hierosylem and is elected by the grand council.

In the year of our Lord 1913

It has now been 8 years since the last Archbishop of Hierosylem died. He was a good and kind man, he brought stability and welfare to the nation and it?s satellites. The country had enjoyed peace ever since 1727 when the country had declared everlasting neutrality. But in 1905 the 93 years old Archbishop Athanasius IV died and a new archbishop was elected. Archbishop Pothius was the youngest Archbishop ever being merely 43 years old.

However, very soon it was apparent that he was a ruthless powermonger. He increased his own power and decreased the power of the grand council. After six months in power he declared himself supreme ruler of the western Orthodox church. However this was disliked and the various churches protested against his actions. The strongest protests came from Suverina and Tagmatium. Soon Pothius realised he had lost all support. However, he knew a way to get support.

As mentioned the Archbishoprich and it?s satellites Japho, Heifa and Ghazza had been neutral since the 18th century. No foreign politcians had had any influence on the politics of the nation. When the everlasting neutrality of the holy nation was declared both Suverina and Tagmatium had promised to protect the neutrality of the nation til the end of time. However as Pothius was now disliked both home and abroad he knew something had to be done.

He conctated the foreign minister of Suverina and offered extensive cooperation. After much negotiation an agreement was made. The king of Suverina would be acknowledged as the protecter of the holy nation of Hierosylem. Suverina would take control of 15% of the economy of Hierosylem. A defensive alliance between the two nations. Free use of the holy nations ports. 50% political influence in Ghazza and 25% in Hierosylem.

In return Suverina granted reorganization of the Home Guard to a national army. Military equipment and training of officers in Suverinian military academys. Protection against foreign influence. An exhange of scientists to hel the development of the holy nation. Pothius would be acknowledged as the head of the entire western orthodox church.

I guess there?s no need to say that the Greater Holy Empire was furious. The powerbalance in the region was unbalanced. Tagmatium condemned the treaty, however all Tagmatine actions were ignored. Tagmatium even considered military actions but realised they didn?t have the capacity. Relations between Suverina and Tagmatium became extremely hostile and both nations started massive military and naval build ups.

In Fabuary 1913 however, after 8 years of terror the population in Hierosylem decides to rebell and oust their leader. Large formations of the military rebell and huge formations of militia are organised around the nation. Pothius requests for Suverinian help. Suverina promises to enter the nation with the 4th Army in 14 days and land and march to Hierosylem with the 43rd Reserve Army in 12 days. However 5 days later the rebellion attacks Hierosylem. The Holy Guard resists the attack for 5 hours but are then forced to surrender. Pothius is executed the next day.

Suverina decides to rush in to quell the rebellion. The illprepared 4th Army crosses the border and soon fierce resistence is met. Even though the rebels suffer massive losses they quickly bring forth new men and soon the 4th Army has run out of steam. The landing is aborted and the 44th Reserve Army awaits in ships outside the coast of Hierosylem, guarded by the etire 2nd Fleet.

And that would be where we start.

thumbsup.gif

I like it, Suv, I really do.

There's nothing that'd I could see that I would want to change with that.

Good! I was aiming to make the whole story quite neutral and to make the bad guy be Pothius and not Suverina. Extending my influence shouldn't look like a bad action to the rest of the world. However of course Tagmatium isn't pleased. We broke our guarantee to protect the neutrality of Hierosylem and gained an ally at the border of Tagmatium, also there are of course several religious tentions. Not only will it be a political war but very much a religious one.

I thought this is how I would start: I will start the entire thing in Hierosylem. The Grand Council gathers and quickly and elects the leader of the rebellion as new archbishop, he quickly turns to Tagmatium, in secret of course, and ask for Tagmatine guarantee of protection from Suverina. Hierosylem also denounces the Suverinian-Hierosylem agreement of 1905.

I thought we'd settle a treaty between you and Hierosylem before we do any other actions.

Tell me if this is okay and than I can start writing.

I made a map of the initial situation viewed from the side of Suverina.

user posted image

The 4th Army rushed in, but has stopped not far across the border.

The 44th Reserve Army awaits in the bay, it lacks most of it's heavy equipment.

11th Army is not ready for any offensive action or larger movement. 7th Reserve Army isn't ready at all to do anything until at least partial mobilisation of the district.

I'll sure try.

Which side is Adaptus going to be on?

smile.gif

Tagmatium's.

But of course you want to ally the guy with a neat new signature! wink.gif

Ah, yeah, I read the whole thread, but that apparentely didn't stick.

Why oh why did I choose my spot in the most peacefull corner of Europa.

Of to the steel galleons it will be, my lads. tophat.gif

user posted image

Poor France. sad.gif

Edited by Haken (see edit history)

Poor France.  sad.gif

user posted image

So, now you'll just have to think of why, when and how you'll enter the war. smile.gif

Yes, poor Marianne! sad.gif

Poor France.? sad.gif

user posted image

So, now you'll just have to think of why, when and how you'll enter the war. smile.gif

Yes, poor Marianne! sad.gif

How I get in all my wars: with glorious idiocy.

Now let's get this rp a-rolling, I'll see where my nation can get offended on the way. Keeps it nice and dynamic.

Really nicely done, Suv! Puts any effort I could make to shame, I must say!

Do you want me to start posting, or would you prefer to carry on with the back story for a while?

I'm also going to be busy for the next couple of weeks with uni work. I've got a 3000 word essay on Later Medieval Europe in next Friday, as well as a 3000 word Geophysics lab report in for that day as well. The week after that, I've got a 1000 word essay for Contemporary Practice in British Archaeology, but that should be a piece of piss.

I thought I'd make one update with Hierosylem opening a dialogue with you.

It's completely fine that you won't update that often, I can always RP with myself or stuff concerning Hierosylem. smile.gif

Good luck with the essay!

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the kind words.

I noticed quite a number of errors while reading the "newspaper". However, the meaning of it is understandable, I think tongue.gif. I like this newspaper-style, I'll probably use it again.

Now Taggie you can start RP:ing as you'd like.

My next update will be concerning the situation and thinking of Suverina.

@Haken,

We could have some old treaty between our nations, like the treaty of Windsor. It could be concerning some sort of defensive alliance. I could then invoke this treaty when Tagmatium and I are at war.