Sildavialand

Greetings to all Nations in Europa in the name of the Emperor, His Government and the People of Sildavialand. For the believers of any kind of religion, may all your Gods and Goddesses protect your ways to our common destinies. For the non-believers, may the cause of Mankind lead your travel to our common goals.

This is a first historical presentation of Our Nation.

Sildavia is a very ancient Nation. Archeological researches proof that 10.000 years ago tribes of very different origins settled in the present territory of our country. Diverse tribes begun to unite with neighbours, creating the basic structures of four Kingdoms and two Principalities: the Kingdoms of Iberia, Latinia, Germania and Britania, and the Principalities of Kronstadt and Las Torres. In addition to them, several minor sovereign entities were also established. The territories, cultures, languages and traditions of the original tribes are still easy to perceive in the boundaries, practices and customs of the actual counties in which each of Sildavia's Kingdoms is divided.

Historical written records begun about 1600 years ago, when the different Kings and Lords decided freely to form the Confederation of Sildavia. Each King distrusted his other neighbours, so they decided to offer the Imperial Crown to Enrique I de Habsburgo, Prince of Las Torres, a tiny and powerless micro-State. It was clearly ruled that the Crown was not to be hereditary, but that at Enrique's death a new Emperor should be elected among all the territorial lords.

But the new Emperor overtook his rivals. He developed a monumental task of organization and renovation in all territories, gained popularity through his continuous travelling along the different Kingdoms and, specially, created a major source of power for the Imperial Crown through the annexation of the vast territories of Colonias and the prerogative for enlisting an Army and Navy under his direct command. Confronted with the facts, all Kings had to accept the recognition of the hereditary right to the Crown for Enrique's dynasty, in exchange of the solemn oath by which the Emperor promised "forever, for me and all my descendants" to respect the liberties and autonomy of each Kingdom.

After Enrique's death, his son Enrique II tried to continue the work of his father to increase the powers of the Crown, but the territorial Kings and lords profited from his mistakes to force him the convocation of a so-called "Parliament" to assist the Emperor in his tasks. This Parliament was formed only by the Kings, Princes and other aristocrats. Enrique II counterattacked his rivals through a major, risky and historical decision: he created a "Low Chamber" elected by all citizens, the entire Empire being a unique constituency. The seats were distributed proportionally among the different candidatures. This was the origin of Sildavia's political parties and democratic system. biggrin.gif The Low Chamber soon took the major role on legislative matters and won the right of "presenting" the Emperor with a candidate to be appointed as Chancellor, Head of the Government and of the Executive Power.

In the following centuries Sildavia went into a path of growth and technical, artistic and social development. The crowns of the different Kingdoms and Principalities ended up joined with the Imperial Crown through the means of inter-dynastic marriages. In several occasions dynastic struggles provoked conflicts and even civil wars. In the troubled years of the IV century, anarchy took over the entire society. During the reign of Jorge I the different territories proclaimed their respective independence. Destruction and looting reigned everywhere. It was the First "Dark Age". angry.gif

Jorge II, son of the last Emperor, soon begun the reconstruction in what is called nowadays "the Second Empire". Little by little, he and his descendants brought back and surpassed the splendors of the past. Anyway, they had to accept the new local royal dynasties who came out in the Kingdoms during the Dark Age and tried to bind them back to the Imperial Crown through the traditional marriage policies.

The major event in the following centuries was the revolution which abolished the monarchy and established the Republic of Sildavia during the mid-10th century. The new regime was nonetheless a complete fiasco and provoked, after 35 years of republican dictatorship, the "Second Dark Age". All historians agree that the main reason was the definite unitarian and authoritarian character of the Republic's provisory government, which intended to abolish all federal structures and create a strong centralist government. The consequence was a general rebellion which took its roots in the deep nationalistic feelings of the old Kingdoms and territories. unsure.gif

After a brief but chaotic period of unrest and anarchy, the "Third Empire" was proclaimed under Enrique IV, a nephew of the last Emperor, who gave a strong impulse to the re-building and reorganization of Sildavia. In 1375 Eduardo III promulgated the first written Constitution, after its approval in referendum. The Emperor's will was to avoid all the troubles provoked in the past by the fact that, until then, Sildavia's supreme laws were a collection of written laws and decrees, customs, practices and precendents, subject to wide and sometimes dubious interpretations.

The new period lasted for less than a century, which nonetheless was a Golden Age of creativity and richness for the Nation. Very few could predict the huge crisis which was the cause of the full destruction of Sildavia's economy, infrastructures and institutions. If there was once a deep "Dark Age", it was this Third One which merited the name. sad.gif

Anarchy lasted for several centuries. Raising from the ruins, a direct descendant of the Imperial dynasty initiated by Enrique I was able to restaure back the Old Empire. It was Jorge III, the actual Monarch.

Sildavia has come back in what is called "the New Empire". The democratic structures have been just reestablished, and a new Era has been marked by a new dating system. But the Imperial and royal lines are connected with the ancient ones. Jorge III is Sildavia's 39th Emperor, a direct descendant of Enrique I, "the Founder". The present Chancellor, Julius Vermont, is the 56th Head of His Gracious Imperial Majesty's Government. Almost everything is still to be done, but the entire Nation is united in the common goal of a prosperous and glorious future. 2-thumbup.gif

"Pro Rege, Lege et Libertate", (For Sovereign, Law and Liberty). Under this its National motto, Sildavia greets all its partners in the World community, and specially in its Region, Europa. biggrin.gif

So now I've read the whole thing. Always interesting to know another nations history. Reminds me that I perhaps should have written some history for me nation, but I'll leave that for the future. wink.gif

As I said "earlier" today, I hope your stay shall be wonderful. But remember, Suverina is your friend! Want anything, money, aid, weapons, liquor.. Just ask! The Great Queendom is always ready to assist! biggrin.gif

@Taggie, stop tut-tutting or I'll do something nasty.. Okay, I won't, but still... wink.gif