Strategic games

What's your favorite strategic game genere?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite strategic game genere?

• Empire-Building (like Civilization or Master of Orion)
    • City-Building (like SimCity or Caesar)
    • Trade/Economic (like Settlers or Colonization)
    • Real-Time (like Command & Conquer or Age of Empires)
    • Fantasy (like Heroes of Might or Age of Wonders)
    • Other (like X-Com or cross-genere)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned any of the Total War series. I've got Rome, Barbarian Invasion (BI) and Medieval. The best was Medieval. Rome was good, although for some reason the campaign map just wasn't as good as Medieval. BI just didn't seem to function at all on my PC. I just kept racking up debt with every nation I played as, not matter what sort of policy I pursued. Add to this an enemy that was aggressive, and the result was defeat. So I gave up and have never bothered since.

....BI just didn't seem to function at all on my PC. I just kept racking up debt with every nation I played as, not matter what sort of policy I pursued. Add to this an enemy that was aggressive, and the result was defeat. ....

coffee.gifI just love all of them 2-thumbup.gif

I'm amazed just like Tag. I played all series of Total War,except Medieval.. (How could that be!) If Tag said its campaign is the best, I must seek for a game, especially they are launching the Gold Collection of all Total War series soon. For me, I also had the 'Debt' trouble with BI at first. But, I then tried to spread my men out in the map, to cope with losing people after we seize a town... Once we can keep men to seize many town, those towms and cities will enable us spread sufficiently.... LOL

I also played ; On line games like Guild War, Trade games like Patrician-III or Pirates, and Econ strategic game like Capitalism, etc.. 2-thumbup.gif

I have just trouble with how to play Cossack-II as the game is fast and I just can not keep up with aggressive AI......Anyone got an advise??? huh.gif

The Total War series is great. I always had problems with the economy on Medieval, whenever my empire reached a large size it kept on slipping into massive debt. I liked being either the Byzantines or the English.

Rome was fantastic, although thr AI was a bit poor at times. The big problem I found was that the Roman factions are impossible to beat with any of the other teams. Even the Egyptians get easily smashed.

Barbarian Invasion improved loads from Rome. They made the AI way more aggressive and the Roman factions were much harder to play as and far easier to beat. I liked playing as the Saxons.

I would play a Total War game, but my computer wouldn't...

Cossacks, love that game. See that you build, like, 100 pikemen in the beginning, to hold of the first half-ass attacks. Seek and build mines everywhere. Don't buy those stupid mercenarie cossacks, they are only good in dieing. The best mercenary is the dragoon. Very handy! See that you get enough gold. Gold is the key.

If that doesn't work, play with the Ukrains. Nobody can beat those over-powered folks. wink.gif

....BI just didn't seem to function at all on my PC. I just kept racking up debt with every nation I played as, not matter what sort of policy I pursued. Add to this an enemy that was aggressive, and the result was defeat. ....

coffee.gifI just love all of them 2-thumbup.gif

I'm amazed just like Tag. I played all series of Total War,except Medieval.. (How could that be!) If Tag said its campaign is the best, I must seek for a game, especially they are launching the Gold Collection of all Total War series soon. For me, I also had the 'Debt' trouble with BI at first. But, I then tried to spread my men out in the map, to cope with losing people after we seize a town... Once we can keep men to seize many town, those towms and cities will enable us spread sufficiently.... LOL

I also played ; On line games like Guild War, Trade games like Patrician-III or Pirates, and Econ strategic game like Capitalism, etc.. 2-thumbup.gif

I have just trouble with how to play Cossack-II as the game is fast and I just can not keep up with aggressive AI......Anyone got an advise??? huh.gif

If it's anything like cossacks 1 I would advise cheating wink.gif . The Prussians are the best. Fully trained Prussian 18C musketeers can handle a force at least 10 times their size.

My trouble is having a crap PC. I think that we borrowed a copy of Shogun Total War off someone aaaaages ago, but it wouldn't work. Neither would Battlefield Two... and that was annoying

I LOVE to play Risk against my brothers. It always gets so emotional. We almost start crying when we roll two ones against a three and a two. And we get mad when we get attacked by the other. laugh.gif

I played against my nieces (12 years) not too long ago and lost. huh.gif

Than my youngest niece proceeded in beating me with "Crash Team Racing" on PS1. blink.gif

Edited by Haken (see edit history)
I never liked those games much. There is one game that you could remember. Centurion. Does it ring a bell?

P.S.

Anyone ever played board warfare/tactical/battle games?

board warfare... I played "Diplomatic"... (in PC game, but adapted from board)...Interesting! salute.gif

Ever played "Gary Grigsby's World at War" ? Looks better than the board(campaign) in Imperial Glory.

@Haken: Thanks for the tips. However, I tried tutorials of Cossacks-1, but Cossacks-II is different. sad.gif

@Ide Jima: Most game developers this day write programs without consideration on users' burden to catch up with their requirements... angry.gif

I had to made lots of space before I can install Civilization-IV, or Vampire; Blood line. Some made you upgrade our VGA card, many made us upgrade RAM. dry.gif

Anyone played "Worms" ? I played it on PS2 and it was FUN! Too bad not available on PC.

Anyone ever played "Return to Mysterious Island" ?

What about "Black&White-II" ? It's fun but time consuming.

sweatdrop.gif I think I must have spent too much time in Games.. sweatdrop.giflaugh.gif

My all-time favorites are strategy games:

- Civilization (of which I think III-Conquest is the best)

- StarCraft/Broodwar (best real-time strategy game ever)

- Command & Conquer - Red Alert (best of all C&C's)

- X-Wing and TIE-Fighter (best space-combat games ever; two of the few games I played that were no strategy games)

Imperial Glory is amazing, combines Total War, with Cossacks, and i carnt get enough of it. I've completed it with all factions apart from the Russians, and the French (half way through a campaign with the French), and with all ideologies, part from republic. I prefer to be either the Prussians, or the British, and the Naval battles are imense.

I loved playing Cossacks too, and loved using the cheats. When you could spawn about a thousand muskateers around about five hundred pikemen and just watch them fall.

I Love Rome Total War too, although it broke a while ago for me. Another I used to play hours on end with war C & C Generals, and Zero Hour, want an amazing game.

Although I Love stratergy games more than anyone, my heart lies in the FPS games tongue.gif Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, the insperation for the IWS systems, and Call Of Duty 1 and 2.

I used to play a lot of Civ4 (and Civ3, and Civ2), and on occasion Alpha Centauri. Had to quit, it was worse than... well, pick your vice! biggrin.gif

For me Alpha Centauri with Alien Crossfire add-on is the best game ever created. It has harsh graphics but technologies are "quite" hard-sci-fi, I love the concept of conscious Planet, politics give many options (like planned democracy or green police state) and possibilities of terraforming are great with simple but efficient ecosystem.

For me its better than Civ4 or Civ3 but I have problems with its overall atmosphere.

I play Settlers quite alot these days... although I have played both Empire-building and RTS in the past. Settlers is good because even if you're getting badly beaten you actually need to stay in the game until the end... so you're not beaten out early and have to sit around while your friends play... if you had a bad game that day or something... wow verbal diahorrea!

I still play AC+CF at times, and though I liked the Civ series, playing Civ3 seemed like a wargame with exploration - You always ended up in a fight, and I could NEVER build that damned spaceship!

Civ 4 is an improvement, infact a bit like AC with its political model (and the culture aspect is nice), but I'd agree that AC is a great addiction. 2-thumbup.gif

I use to be a huge fan of the original 'Age of Empires', back when the game was still revolutionary. I also enjoy playing 'Cossacks', although it's been a while now since I last had the need to do so.

I own a copy of 'CivI' and 'Civ III', but don't seem to have the patience to play the game very long. I really truly hate waiting for every turn.

This next game is not really based on a nation, but it has a strategic aspect to it as well. If you like the James Bond films, you'll love playing Evil Genius! The object of the game is to build an underground base, populate it with your "minions", and train a whole evil army to fight the good guys. This may sound serious, but this game almost has a cartoonesque humor to it, which I really love. biggrin.gif

You can download a demo at this page, and here are some screenshots as well.

user posted image