Hello and welcome to our community. So you're interested in RP. That's great. Are you completely new to writing? Or do you have years of experience? This Academy is where everyone starts. We can't wait to see what you have in store! Be sure to put your best foot forward. The point is to help you become a better story writer and guarantee a good experience for everyone.
You already have a writing sample?
That's great! Be sure to share it. An example of your talents will make it far easier to estimate your skills.
You don't have a writing example?
Not a problem. Our dedicated staff is here to help. With easy writing prompts and relevant feedback, you will be guided towards completing your candidacy.
What should you write?
Some writing prompts are listed here. Each RP in the Academy can be rated using the stars system. You will be expected to write your first RP on your own. This should serve as an introduction to your nation and/ or main characters. Staff and mentors will also share guidance to help you improve.
- A change in leadership. This can come in many forms: a peaceful election including debates; the death of one and coronation of another monarch; a revolution and overthrow of the government; etc.
- A tourist visits your nation and describes the sights and experiences. What is there to see? What are the people likes? Which cuisine do they enjoy?
A snapshot into a citizens life. What a person in the country does. Y'know, what do they usually eat? Where do they work? When do they sleep? How are their relationships handled? etc.
- For a place like Derthalen, he could write about the peasants, the slaves, the nobility, and the lack of technology and attitudes towards family would be obvious very early on.
- For a place like Iverica that's more normal this prompt can kinda suck but people watch reality television so obviously there's people into more mundane situations.
- A cultural event is happening. People are invited. What is happening? Where is it taking place? How are people behaving? Is there any media reporting on the event?
- Shopping. Your character goes to buy something. How does this work? Who do they talk to? How is money exchanged?
What should I be aiming for?
Good writing is a combination of quality and quantity.
About quality: it’s important to give a strong sense of the place and offer a landscape of the imagination that sweeps the reader into the world. A focus on worldbuilding adds depth and meaning to your writing, is a great way to brainstorm within your writing, and helps you forge deeper connections to the world on the page. And therefore, your readers will too.
About quantity: I can already hear you think "how long does my text need to be?" Too short will be, well, too short. Aim for something between 500-1000 words. Here are some examples:
How does graduation work?
Each RP in the Academy can be rated using the stars system. If a minimum of 2 staff members support your writing, then your candidacy will be approved. This means you graduate to become a full member and can join our larger community.
How long does someone remain in the Academy?
Depending on the quality and feedback they can graduate to become a full member. An already experienced player will have no problem writing their way through this trial. Graduating will grant access to the main RP areas, where more interaction is possible.
What happens to the RP's in the Academy?
These RP's are not directly part of our canon, but they can be promoted if the community agrees the quality is good enough. This means your academy writing are moved into the main RP forums and become part of our shared stories.
Edited by Orioni