Creaturae

Request: Creaturae

Hi there Creaturae!

Since I'm here right now and available, I have the following inputs for you:

1. Points that strike me: Relatively uninvolved, Aroman, Colony, Inland.
  2. As a whole your write up makes me think of the following conditions:

(1) The closer to Aroman Europa, the better.

(2) If "uninvolved", then isolated river valley makes the most sense.

However, given the above two I have just mentioned, it might be difficult to accomodate a "Mediterrean/Oceanic" climate. Both conditions above have you best suited for Central Eastern Argis--which is more temperate/taiga/alpine. If this doesn't bother you too much, we can move forward with the following suggestions:

TbOiK4h.png

All Three are as close to Aroman Europa in the new world as it gets without putting you in a rather frigid region (near Astriedan). It also puts you near other new world Rome-esque cultures.

RED: Appears to be the most logical out of the 3. The surrounding mountains make for a lot of "uninvolvement" in historical affairs/make it hard for you to have contact with late Renaissance colonisers.

BLUE: Is not bad either, it puts you on what could be an elevated plain flanked by rivers--though this is a much smaller area.

YELLOW: Seems the least isolated of the three. Perhaps more like the Scottish highlands and hills.

If having a Mediterranean climate is a lot more important than I presumed, I'd suggest letting us know what you'd be willing to compromise. We could put you in the Mediargic region (The four seas between Western Argis and Northern Alharu), but that would entail a likely drop in your "Aroman-ness" or your reclusiveness (it is a pretty big trading area).

Let us know what you think! 

• Like 4

UPDATE

After some discussion about the realism of cross-oceanic colonisation, its become clear that the best way to maintain this "classical-era colonisation" scenario in the OP is to settle Creaturae in the far east of Argis. While it is considerably colder, the southern coast is not exactly bad. It still is quite isolated, allowing for that "recluse" outlook.

dLsjppq.png

Both Purple and Orange in the far eastern region of Argis seem to be likely candidates for you. Again, if the climate doesn't matter so much.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Iverica said:

Points that strike me: Relatively uninvolved... Inland.

These two points aren't quite right. The capital itself is a few kilometers inland, but the actual nation has plenty of coastline. As for being relatively uninvolved (in international affairs), that's more-so a modern Creatum international policy.

That being said, Blue and Red are both really good locations. Purple and Orange are a bit too far north for my liking. Looking at the climate map, I do see that they are somewhat similar to what I'm looking for. But, comparing it to a rough guestimation of climate based on this Artifexian video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fag48Nh8PXE), that area would be way closer to the Siberian wastelands. Even though that's not the case, I'd still prefer being farther south.

Not sure what else to say, though. I think I prefer Blue over Red, simply because of the Southern location.

Edited by Creaturae
[url] doesn't work, F
  • Like 3

On the "Lessening of Connections to Aroma"

I think we can say that a "strong connection" would entail regular trade routes directly between Aroman ports and yours--as any colony would need to be of use to the greater empire. Lessening your connection would mean changing this status of a regular and therefore, contributing colony of the Aroma, to one which is more of an outpost or vestige of an extremely ambituous exploration (whatever reason, be it fugitive or economic, can be supplied later).

What I'm saying roughly amounts to: If Creaturae were to be very far from Aroman Europa, then it would not be able to (at least feasibly based on the performance of Hellenistic-era ships e.g. Galley type vessels) maintain regular and safe trade routes. If said routes are not maintained, we can conclude that the influence of Aroman culture is strongly diminished--to the point where local culture, would be strong enough to prevent a total assimilation of Aroman language, customs, and icons.

This point relies on the following assumptions:

1. That Galley type vessels and classical navigation would have great difficulty safely crossing what is equivalent to the Northern Atlantic with out many and safe islands to resupply and navigate from.
  2. That the influence of culture relies strongly on trade routes.

If the assumptions are not contested, its reasonable to say that an Aroman presence in central eastern Argis would be roughly comparable to an outpost or settlement of survivors with infrequent contact with their homeland. I think we can roughly compare the situation to the irl Norse in North America (pre-columbus) and at most optimistic cases, the outpost city of Alexandria Eschate--a vestige of the Alexandrian conquest of the far east.

Given these points, I want to stress that wish to find a better resolution that gets the lore you've mentioned as realistically as possible. So to do this, I'd very much like to have a more real-time conversation with you. How does a PM session on Discord sound? Please let me know!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Iverica said:

Given these points, I want to stress that wish to find a better resolution that gets the lore you've mentioned as realistically as possible. So to do this, I'd very much like to have a more real-time conversation with you. How does a PM session on Discord sound? Please let me know!

Sounds good. I'll shoot you a direct message as soon as I've got some free-time.

• Like 4

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.