Orioni

Group of Island Nations

Group of Island Nations  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Count me in?

Definitely would fit within the character of my nation. I wouldnt mind being apart of something like this.

Aye, this is a great idea. The 1970s were also marked by rapid economic development back here in Andalla.

"Gin" though? 😛

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andalla said:

"Gin" though?

McScuse me is there a problem? I quite like the acronym ^_^

• Like 1

Plenty of interest so it looks like we're doing this. 🙂 I'll work out some more details and then we can move onto phase 2 of this preparation.

• Like 3

I've updated the premise (see first post) to include some possible backstory. Do let me know if anyone has a problem with placing this in the 1970's.

I also am interested in knowing which series of events would be the most entertaining to kick-off this story.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2018 at 1:02 AM, Orioni said:

I also am interested in knowing which series of events would be the most entertaining to kick-off this story.

Quoting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islands_Forum

From August 5–7, 1971, the first meeting of the South Pacific Forum was initiated by New Zealand and held in Wellington, with attendants of the following seven countries: the President of Nauru, the Prime Ministers of Western Samoa, Tonga and Fiji, the Premier of the Cook Islands, the Australian Minister for External Territories, and the Prime Minister of New Zealand. It was a private and informal discussion of a wide range of issues of common concern, concentrating on matters directly affecting the daily lives of the people of the islands of the South Pacific, devoting particular attention to trade, shipping, tourism, and education. Afterwards this meeting was held annually in member countries and areas in turn. In 1999, the 30th South Pacific Forum decided to transform into Pacific Islands Forum, with more extensive and formal way of discussion and organization. 

So I guess we could start this off with ministers of the economy or equivalents informally meeting in @Gallambria and discussing how to improve island economies and how to become more resillient against natural catastrophes.

• Like 4

I forget the precise details, but wasn't the IRL oil crisis somewhat precipitated by Western (and others') support for Israel during the Yom Kippur War?

Do you have a similar reason for triggering an Eurth oil crisis, or reasons for one happening in the first place?

And there is an environmental conference happening in modern times.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 9:33 PM, Tagmatium Rules said:

I forget the precise details, but wasn't the IRL oil crisis somewhat precipitated by Western (and others') support for Israel during the Yom Kippur War? Do you have a similar reason for triggering an Eurth oil crisis, or reasons for one happening in the first place?

At the moment we haven't defined a crisis in the 1970's. I wish to reference one without naming it explicitly, who is involved or where it is taking place. 'The event which must not be named.' I'd like to place it in the seventies because historical RP's are nice to do. And it permits extending this timeline into the present.

Delving in the war you mentioned it possible. But that requires another story.

There's the 2nd Argic war that supposedly ends in this period. But I'm not sure if it involves oil prices or not. https://iiwiki.us/wiki/Timeline_of_major_events_on_Eurth#20th_Century

• Like 3

Fair.

I can't imagine a major war would have had a good affect on oil prices.

And assuming it remained relatively localised and didn't involve anything naughty like submarine warfare.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This weekend I want to launch the GIN storyline. I'll do this by sketching the prologue, and introducing some characters from the 1970's. No current characters will be in existence back then.

Clean slate. Old tech. No internet. Old jets.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Just sticking my head in to offer a couple of thoughts after seeing this.

First, might be a bit late for this, but why not name it "General Assembly of Island Nations"? That sounds a bit more official and formal than just 'group'. Also GAIN sounds cooler. :P

Also since it's the 70's, if there's any military conflict that happens I expect there to be old school F-4 Phantom dogfights. And I'm not just saying that because I've been on a massive jet fighter kick since Ace Combat 7 came out.

Edited by Vocenae
  • Like 3

On 3/10/2019 at 1:48 AM, Oyus said:

I feel it would make more sense that a larger island country or likely more significant one at this point in history to hold it.

Since the SSI have also hosted the Laws of the Sea conference, the first meeting could also happen in the SSI, although I don't want to focus too much attention on myself, especially because of my recent lack of participation. Thematically it would make sense though, wouldn't it? This could also lead to some atomic cooperation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Haruspex
      As a reawakening nation within Europa/Eurth, although not a dead race, perhaps not as focused upon the region about them as they might have been. It has been some time since a visit was conducted within the Haru lands, be it for simple curiosity or ventures of trade and economy. Recent events, a war, a return of the old ways, the acknowledgement of old friends and perhaps old enemies, brings the slumbering beast from its reverie once more. 
      The Occident is in a different state then when the Empress first, and the Emperor that followed, had paid attention to it. A new emperor is about to be crowned, banners once more shall rustle in the breeze. Shall this be more of the same, or a different approach to the realm as it knows. 
    • By Orioni
      For 2019 I'm planning a small tourism RP. Its focus is to explore the cultures and sights of nations in Argis and Alharu. This will be semi-open depending on which nations grants a tourism visa to my character. The title is a pun on Mr Smith goes to Washington but other than the name this has little to do with politics.
      Story
      Mr Hidad Simizi has reached the pension age of 66 years. Unfortunately, his wife of Isla Raisi died in 2014. The couple had been married since 1971. His three children have all left the house. For the last 5 years he has been putting some money aside and now he wants to see the world. He is making plans to visit Argis and Alharu, collectively referred to here as "Alhargis". (If this works out well and Mr Simizi survives the trip, perhaps he might visit more places in the future.)
      Character Profile

Hidad Simizi is a 66-year-old former tradesperson's assistant who enjoys watching television, baking and he is obsessed with photography. His other hobbies include jigsaw puzzles, knitting, football, cycling, donating blood. Backstory. Hidad has three children from his late wife Isla: daughter Halliye (born 1975), daughter Gloriya (born 1980) and son Jabril (born). He grew up in an impoverished working-class neighbourhood. After his mother died when he was young, he was raised by his father. He finished school and then left academia. Hidad's best friend is another tradesperson's assistant called Elmer Oweni who nicknamed him "Lazy Hidad". The two men have a very fiery friendship. He also hangs around with his neighbour Patsy Neali. They enjoy watching television together. Character. He is giving and friendly, but can also be very thick and a bit lazy. He is an Orinese man who defines himself as straight. Appearance. Physically, Hidad is slightly overweight but otherwise in good shape. He is short with brown skin, black hair and black eyes. He has a small moustache. He is allergic to milk. Countries to visit
      Once it's clear which countries are open to tourism, I'll have him apply for a Visa in each of these nations. If you're open to a visit, please start by filling out this form with additional details.
      VISA APPLICATION FORM * Requirement: (yes/no) * Max. duration: (days) * Health requirements: (which) TOURISM GUIDE * Top cities: (city names) * Sights worth seeing: (historical buildings, special places, parks) * Cultural events taking place: (what, where, when, how many days) * Getting around: (airlines, public transportation, taxi) * Local cuisine: (what to eat and drink, what to avoid) * Sleeping: (hotels) Itinerary
      Right now I'm thinking of having him visit Alharu and Argis from west to east. It really depends on which nations are welcoming enough to grant him a tourist Visa.
      @Andalla Can I start out by having my character travel via Arkhavn?
      Confirmed visits:
      Andalla (layover) Fulgistan
    • By Orioni
      The last activity in this alliance subforum was +6 months ago.
      If no activity occurs within 30 days after this notice, the alliance will be considered inactive.
      Thank you for your understanding.