Rihan

Expansion: Rihan Republic

Just giving it a quick glance, I notice that the areas seem rather large for expansion. Eyeballing it, the yellow area seems to be about the same size if not larger than you are at the moment. While Aurelia certainly is empty at the moment, I do not feel that that necessarily equals a need for the nations that are situated there to expand rapidly. In a way, you're already in a 'privileged' position in regards to expansion as there's few other nations to expand towards you so there's less of a rush compared to say, Central Argis.

It seems far more agreeable and realistic to me to keep the first expansion at the west banks of the river, for example. The area to the north is somewhat more agreeable, in so far as it involves interior lands that new nations will be far less interested in settling in among other reasons; although I'm still somewhat iffy about your prediction of it being a cash cow due to the circumstances that involve moving people into any 'new' area, be it chasing away the people living there or developing pristine lands, etc.I'd still advice to cut off that expansion to the 'south' bank of the river there, although it's pretty hard to show what I mean with just words. I'll see about making an image with what I mean later, once I have done some highly overdue RP things.

• Like 4

I respect your opinion, I just do not agree with the assessment. I recognize that I haven't been here as long as others, particularly those who have also proposed their own expansions earlier this season. However, there is just no indication in the four or so months I've been here that there is really ever going to be that many nations in Aurelia based on climate, location, culture, etc. I am not proposing this because there are five nations near me and they are all as equally ambitious to get the same area. I am proposing it because the simple fact of the matter is, the continent is always going to look devoid of life (same can be said to some extent about Alharu).

Now, saying that, if you are concerned about the timeframe to achieve both parts, then I am flexible about doing them over two years but that does come with some issues in terms of pre-planned events or areas in which other members of the global community could be involved. It is not hard to switch around, but it would probably lessen the extent that I would be interacting with others (at least as it stands now).

The interior expansion or Part 2, I admit I am probably being generous with the phrase of 'cash cow' but my nation's internal politics is rather short-sighted unless it involves killing or stealing another's property or wealth, or the long-term damage of an individual's reputation. Admittedly, it won't be home to tens of millions of people, unlike part 1 is more realistically able to achieve, but it's more about taking the other side of the mountains I am bordered on right now.

If I were to expand based upon your recommendation, up to the west bank of that river, in my opinion, it wouldn't be enough to entice me to consider expansion at any point in the future. No matter how you chop it up - the Republic's population is probably going to peak at the cap placed on new nations - I never see it being a 200 million person nation. Even at the height of the Roman world, when Augustus was Emperor, it only had 45 million people. Between the land I have, and the two expansions, this is probably all I would ever do in this field.

Now in comparison, I have been okay with Prymont's even-larger expansion claims, because of the terrain he has - essentially Siberia. If he was anywhere else on the map, I would have had a much harder time seeing it but the general thought that there need to be some large nations on the map, in the new world, does make sense to me. From my assessment of those who are in Aurelia at the moment: Shffahakia has no intentions of expanding inwards or along the coasts he's at, Kipan is on his islands off the western coast and even if he were to expand, then its probably going to be within relative proximity of them in that area. And then there is Asgeirria, who recently expanded to three islands, two which were right next to me. The most realistic expansion would have been the islands he expanded to and seeing that is off the table, and because he, in time is looking to go west, I am being respectful of that and decided to go east and north. Do not forget, Aurelia is a massive continent and even the southern tip of it is probably never going to be touched.

Please do not read this an aggressive posturing, I am merely having a dialogue about this. I think if anything, this a conversation that applies to not just me, but to really any nation not in Argis who would want to expand given that everywhere else in the new world is so...spreadout.

• Like 4

Thank you @Prymont for your comments and your confidence in my writing abilities. To all, I have a very extensive storyline planned for both parts that will go beyond just myself. I want external participation. Based upon the initial designs I've conjured up, I believe Part 1 alone could include at least 4-6 international actors having influence in the story and its numerous subplots. Everyone will have a chance to have an impact on how the Republic moves in the coming 1-2 years, some for the better, and worse for others. As noted previously, these two expansions are 99.99% of what I am expecting the Republic to look like on the map.

• Like 3

@Rihan For expansions, we always advise involving your nearest neighbours in the discussion. I am tagging @Asgeirria @Kipan @Shffahkia to learn more about their opinion.

(I've also tagged this topic as "awaiting rp". A lot of other expansion requests are also tagged this way. This makes it easier to circle back later.)

• Like 2

I have spoken with @Rihan about his proposed expansions and I have no issues with them, nor are the areas he's identified in any way impacting whatever expansions may occur for Kipan either in the short or long-term.

• Like 3

With all the service @Rihan is doing for our region, I think it would be fine for him to expand into these areas. I too am sure that he will properly RP his expansions, no doubt about that. Expanding slightly faster than usual might be a fine reward for his excellent work over the past few months.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The Rihan Republic has formally annexed Phase 1 (yellow demarcation) via this thread: 

@Shffahkia and I will be determining the formal border in the near future to be reflected upon the next map update, if possible. I will begin in the coming weeks the planning of Phase 2. 

• Like 2

@Orioni: Just saw the posting in the main update thread and the boundaries you marked are perfect for the reserved. Once "In the Shadows" is complete and @Shffahkia and I have settled the true lines, then we can move to finalization (with cities included).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Map details for the reserved plot:

• Cities
    • At the mouth of the major river lies the city of Leras'nev (add port icon)
    • Mereka sits on the center of the western plateau.
    • Penvar is at the confluence of the main north/south river and the eastward branch river is.
    • Kor'Ren is west of Leras'nev on the coast towards Rihan
    • Tom'reth is midway along the eastward river
  • Geographic Features
    • Torek Mountains line the eastern border
    • Label The Bay of D'vrex
    • Label Tiama Valley in the area north of Penvar
    • Karethvek Volcano, somewhere between Kor'Ren and Mereka

Map modifications for the original territory:

• Add the cities of Tartak (central), Nemor (northwest of Vendras), and Vela'Setora (if possible)
  • Label Apnex Sea between Rihan and Asgeirria

Edited by Rihan
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

Could be your Sicily.

I can already come up with at least 3 different plot lines for this island...might make this Expansion Zone 1.5, part of the immediate storyline following In the Shadows.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rihan said:

I can already come up with at least 3 different plot lines for this island...might make this Expansion Zone 1.5, part of the immediate storyline following In the Shadows.

I suppose if you are considering an eventual annexation of Asgeirria, then this could be freeing a Rihannsu territory from under the Asgeirrian yoke.

Whether genuinely or as part of some sort of irredentist claims from a newly-energised Republic.

Perhaps take a look at how he claimed that island in the first place?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

I suppose if you are considering an eventual annexation of Asgeirria, then this could be freeing a Rihannsu territory from under the Asgeirrian yoke.

Whether genuinely or as part of some sort of irredentist claims from a newly-energised Republic.

Perhaps take a look at how he claimed that island in the first place?

Absolutely. I was thinking this would done in the form of a modern Punic War. This island being the first step, aka Sicily. Mind you, this would a rather slow, and lengthy process. Fortunately, this island was freed up by Orioni when he did a clean up so insofar as this touching the 'player nation' that is Asgeirria, this is probably the most likely step I can take for some time but it would quite the important one.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tagmatium Rules
      I'm going to ask to add Aroma to the map.
      If it can be added as a port in the place shown on the map as a red dot. It's a been a long time coming, considering it's relative cultural importance, in the scheme of things.
      I've been thinking about it and also checking the cultural map of Europa, it seems to be the most logical place for it to go. I apologise for it now being super busy there, but I think I kind of need to illustrate where it is. Me and Adaptus did agree that it would make more sense to be in my territory than his. We'll assume that the equivalent of Rome's port of Ostia has been swallowed by urban sprawl or something in OTL
      I'm open to comments on whether that is the best place for it to go. I'll attach the cultural map, too, so that everyone else can chip in. The map is also a work in progress by O and may be subject to change.

• By Rihan
      The Republican Information Service (Tlaru Aihrifv Rheilhhu) is a direct entity of the Communications Ministry. This channel, Shanaku, will serve as a means in which to better connect the world to events occurring within the Republic.
      Please standby for incoming transmission... 
    • By Rihan
      By Proclamation of the Rihan Senate
      The Senate, at the behest of the Rihannsu people, do hereby affirm their intentions of developing meaningful relations with nations of the wider world. With the Senate's declaration, the Praetor, Mathon Terix, will comply and immediately begin to make all preparations related to this. He has appointed Senator Tevus Pranara to be responsible for representing the Senate and the People, alongside his ongoing Senatorial duties. The Rihannsu, united as one, is ready to talk, to trade, and to learn.
      thei'mnei  iemhiedh irrhmhiohs
      "May Our Discussion Succeed"