Orioni

Sandbox RP forum for newcomers

I don't have anything to add to this except agreement. I do advice some neutral terms for the ranks so established instead of capable or proper, for example, as people might get negative vibes from those titles. As if those in the sandbox are by definition incapable or improper roleplayers, which isn't true. 

• Like 1

@Variota I agree with your comment about using neutral labels for the ranks and the forum. Earlier you mentioned the name "Proving Grounds" which will also work.

This feels like something that can be settled with a public poll. I can such a poll to this topic if we've passed the community review round is.

I'm moving this topic out into the open now for broader review and feedback.

• Like 2

I personally don't like this idea because it alienates new players who most of the time are somewhat component roleplayers and just adds another step to the process of joining. The current system of making news posts and Factbook should be enough to keep new people from entering the main RP as you can keep denying them until they're deemed good enough to enter the main RP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can see how this is helpful but this may be too restrictive and could just deter people. I think there is a way to mold what's been developed here while ensuring quality exists before an individual gets too immersed in the universe. I would make it more essential for a factbook be made from the very beginning before an individual goes about making a news post. I would have people comment and help develop it before the person actually applies it to the universe. We've seen several who've tried to get involved but didn't actually plan the nation. Essentially a cart before the horse situation. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rihan said:

I can see how this is helpful but this may be too restrictive and could just deter people. I think there is a way to mold what's been developed here while ensuring quality exists before an individual gets too immersed in the universe. I would make it more essential for a factbook be made from the very beginning before an individual goes about making a news post. I would have people comment and help develop it before the person actually applies it to the universe. We've seen several who've tried to get involved but didn't actually plan the nation. Essentially a cart before the horse situation. 

I second that - forcing people to go through an immigration screening process will make us look like, well, Trump. But at the same time we don't want to be compromising our RPs just to assist these newcomers.

Perhaps, we could make a rule: Factbook and news thread before RP. We'll try to help the newcomers as they write their factbooks and news threads, then once they're all fine, we put them on the map and let them RP.

Another solution would be to strike a compromise between the two. We allow newcomers to RP, but their stories would be subject to improvement as they go along. Then we let them go freely when it's all good.

It should be noted that members should try to have only minimal involvement in newcomers' stories; rather, they should assist OOC then participate IC when everything's fine.

• Like 1

People here are mentioning that a factbook and a newsroom should come before RP, and I can see that point, but they're also vital parts of our roleplay. We interact and trade with nations depending upon their factbook, and learn about them in their newsroom. I understand that these are requirements for the map to show activity and writing level, but they shouldn't be requirements for outright entering the region. They're RP components, just as diplomatic threads or blockades are.

Over the past year and a half or so I've grown to love this community. The high writing level is one of the reasons why I like it here - there's so much skill present, and so much thought and worldbuilding that goes on behind the scenes. I, as I'm sure many others do, come here to have fun with equally skilled writers to create fun, unique stories and give ourselves a challenge. I don't want to come here and see the forum clogged up with poorly planned, two sentence posts. That adds nothing to the advancement of our stories and just irritates me, as people are just coming here for a place on a cool looking map with minimal effort. I won't name specific names, as this sort of thing has happened multiple times for as long as I've been here. We shouldn't be a community that supports poor writing. 

I've spoken with @Orioni about this idea on Discord and I'm a big supporter of it. Calling it a sandbox seems a bit childish but we can work past that; the main idea is that we're given 'early access' to a newcomer's way of writing. There can be just two or three writing prompts that they have to complete, and for a seasoned writer that will be no issue. Even from the first post, if we see that they have the skill we can speed up the process for them and get them in quick, so as to minimise annoyance on their side for having to complete beginner's challenges, and to bring another great writer into our community. For the writers with less skill or experience, it's a great opportunity for us to seek how they need help and provide them with the assistance that they need. As it currently stands, lacking newcomers are filling the forums with poor writing. We can remedy this before it even becomes a problem through this screening process, as it'll be non-canon if it's not good enough and doesn't hurt our universe.

Sure, perhaps it'll turn a few people away as they won't want to spend time going through customs and showing their visas and whatnot just so they can get onto our forums, but I firmly believe that we're worth it. This is such a historic community that is rich with quality writing and great people. Completing this first step to gain entry into the region not only helps us in seeing if there are any writing problems, but helps the new person in identifying if this region is for them because of the high writing level required. I'm bored of seeing bad writers come along and thinking they run the place because they've met the map requirements with sh*tty posts. We have the opportunity here to not only bring in more skilled writers, but to help those that are lacking a bit and bring them up to a level where they're writing with other great writers, which is so much fun.

• Like 2

One thing I'd add to this conversation; I think that mentorship has a big place in both welcoming a new member to the region and also in helping a person to reach the standard of writing that the community, myself included, prides itself on. I'd not have found my groove in Europa were it not for more experience, friendly community members helping me in creating my first RP threads like All the Sultan's Men and Breaking the Ice. I think that perhaps making "RP Mentors" available to new members could be very helpful, as well as reduce the strain on the moderation staff in handling new arrivals.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fulgistan said:

One thing I'd add to this conversation; I think that mentorship has a big place in both welcoming a new member to the region and also in helping a person to reach the standard of writing that the community, myself included, prides itself on. I'd not have found my groove in Europa were it not for more experience, friendly community members helping me in creating my first RP threads like All the Sultan's Men and Breaking the Ice. I think that perhaps making "RP Mentors" available to new members could be very helpful, as well as reduce the strain on the moderation staff in handling new arrivals.

Perhaps to ease the strain, @Fulgistan and I could take on this mentoring capacity - allowing the two of us to impart our new arrivals with our abet shorter experience, but sufficient enough to help them catch up and we can keep an eye on their progress, helping them integrate over time as quality improves, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loads of good ideas keep popping up here. Who else would like to chime in?

• Like 2

Although I’m new here, I definitely could see this working out if moderated well and maybe the ease of entry made a tad easier to filter out the terrible writers to give us people who are mediocre but can make progress.

Another thing: i feel like if the mods cannot decide if a person is ok enough, it should be put up to vote

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 1:14 AM, Variota said:

I do advice some neutral terms for the ranks so established instead of capable or proper, for example, as people might get negative vibes from those titles.

@Variota As an alternative name, we could call it the 'Academy'. And the entry level could be called 'Candidate'.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:55 PM, Sayf said:

I personally don't like this idea because it alienates new players who most of the time are somewhat component roleplayers and just adds another step to the process of joining.

@Sayf How would you feel about asking newcomers to provide a writing example? I've seen this requirement before in other NS regions. It could be one way to fast-track a new member. If not, then they go through the sandbox / proving grounds / academy / whatever-names-we-settle-upon.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:12 AM, Rihan said:

I would make it more essential for a factbook be made from the very beginning before an individual goes about making a news post. I would have people comment and help develop it before the person actually applies it to the universe. We've seen several who've tried to get involved but didn't actually plan the nation. Essentially a cart before the horse situation. 

@Rihan I'm not completely convinced. A factbook works if you know where you'll be in our world. Borrowing your analogy of cart before the horse, it should be easier to introduce your main characters regardless of a factbook. Here are the leaders, these are their motivations, this is what's happening in the nation. That can be incorporated into a wider story later.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:00 AM, Andalla said:

We'll try to help the newcomers as they write their factbooks and news threads, then once they're all fine, we put them on the map and let them RP.

@Andalla So you would use these 2 existing criteria as a filter for progress.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:37 AM, Prymont said:

the main idea is that we're given 'early access' to a newcomer's way of writing. There can be just two or three writing prompts that they have to complete, and for a seasoned writer that will be no issue. Even from the first post, if we see that they have the skill we can speed up the process for them and get them in quick, so as to minimise annoyance on their side for having to complete beginner's challenges, and to bring another great writer into our community. For the writers with less skill or experience, it's a great opportunity for us to seek how they need help and provide them with the assistance that they need.

@Prymont I like the idea of writing prompts.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:30 AM, Fulgistan said:

I think that mentorship has a big place in both welcoming a new member to the region and also in helping a person to reach the standard of writing that the community, myself included, prides itself on. I'd not have found my groove in Europa were it not for more experience, friendly community members helping me in creating my first RP threads like All the Sultan's Men and Breaking the Ice. I think that perhaps making "RP Mentors" available to new members could be very helpful, as well as reduce the strain on the moderation staff in handling new arrivals.

@Fulgistan Expanding the available mentions is certainly high on the wishlist. Many players who've been around the block are already providing advice and feedback. Additionally, an expansion of our existing guides. Loads of advice keeps getting repeated. We can use our time in a better way by gathering all this knowledge for the next person who asks the question.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:53 AM, Rihan said:

Perhaps to ease the strain, @Fulgistan and I could take on this mentoring capacity

@Rihan Do you have a specific topic in mind about which you feel you can guide new members? Or more a general role?

On 11/13/2018 at 12:47 AM, Sancti Imperii Catholico said:

i feel like if the mods cannot decide if a person is ok enough, it should be put up to vote

@Sancti Imperii Catholico  That would make sense. When it comes to graduating, getting the support of at least 2 mentors would be a strong enough signal.

• Like 4

@Orioni: I was speaking in a general role. @Fulgistan and I are pretty good about spotting things that don't make sense or seem crazy and we can concentrate on getting them resolves before they happen and force the mods to get involved when it isn't as 'major' as some other issues that may occur.

• Like 4

Since this experiment began, it looks like @Rhodellia is the first member to successfully go through the application process. He'll be upgraded from candidate to full member.

The theory behind the idea was logical, but it wasn't clear at first how this would work in reality. Our RP mentors all did an excellent job providing behind the scenes feedback. We'll take what we learned here and improve the application process. In particular:

• For the candidate: what exactly is required, which feedback can you expect, how long does it take?
  • For the community: how to deal with trial topics that don't yet fit the canon.
  • Love 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• MP's to vote on this years budget Thursday This Thursday Mp's are set to vote for this year's budget. This will be the first big vote since Parliament rejoined after the Christmas break.  Obviously the Tories with the majority in the Commons and Knights the budget is expected to pass easily.  We will be covering Budget day tomorrow and will update you with any news. With GBNB I'm Amy Collin's.
    • Dead Shffahkian Inmate Found in Solitary Confinement Cell Ignites Controversy Jaïr Taulle, 38, was found dead in a solitary confinement cell in the Éleigne Federal Penitentiary on January the 7th 2019. The death was initially reported as a suicide by the prison faculty. However, the sister of the deceased, Anne Lozé, didn't buy the initial report later filing a request for an investigative committee to look into the matter on January 9th. The Committee for the Investigation of Prisoner Maltreatment in Éleigne Federal Penitentiary returned January 14th with its findings that would go on to shock many Shffahkians. The committee found that Jaïr Taulle had died of dehydration as a result of extreme neglect from the prison staff.   Interviews with staff members reveal that he was left as the only inmate in solitary confinement by a checking error leading to him essentially being forgotten. A guard wishing to remain anonymous said ".... [the] part where solitary confinement is located is actually rarely visited by guards or staff when there's no inmate there." The committee concluded with the finding that a checking error had led to Taulle being reported as absent from solitary confinement when in reality he was still there. The guard in charge of checking was found to not have been actually the one to conduct the procedure. Rather he had left it to another guard which according to the anonymous guard isn't very rare. "The lack of resources and manpower often leads to situations where senior guards allocate their duties to newer officers." The horrific discovery of the actual conditions in Éleigne has galvanized many into action and caused an uproar in many parts of Shffahkia. The locals living near Éleigne have signed a petition to close the facility down. The petition will be looked over by the Mines Générales rehabilitation committee. Yet this isn't the first time the treatment of prisoners has caused uproar in Shffahkia. It isn't even the first time Éleigne has caused such controversy. Colloquially Éleigne is known as Monmor (Mont Mort) for its location and infamous reputation.  Prison reform has long been discussed and advocated for. There has even been a hit movie called "The Blue Inmate"  based on a book of the same name written by Sacha Taôme. The Blue Inmate is a biography telling the story of the writer's own experiences as an inmate in a similar neglected facility in the early 2000s. The most memorable scene from the movie is the so called "yard execution" where a guard outright shoots an uncooperative inmate. "The system became very clear to me at that moment. Guards who are willing to do egregious acts get promoted while the decent leave. This is all in the name of efficiency, to keep the facility productive. The food shortages, overworking inmates and the disregard most are put under make perfect sense when you think of the purpose of the facility: to produce as much as possible with the lowest cost. It all creates this toxic atmosphere where inmates live in a perpetual state of terror fearing for their very survival. To my knowledge, that guard hasn't faced any repercussions for taking the inmate's life to this day." Sacha writes about the occurrence.  Tougher Than Tough When Is It Enough? Enacting prison reform isn't a simple affair. The Federal Senate, the Chamber of Representatives and the Collective of Ministers have no say in prison reform as rehabilitation and facilities related to it are strictly under the control of the Shffahkian Council. The sitting president of the Council, President Rémy, has flat out stopped any attempt at reform. His "tougher-than-tough" rehabilitation policy is mostly credited with the current prison system and its results both good and bad. According to the current system, inmates are classified as either risk inmates or not. The risk classification is given to repeat offenders or inmates charged with especially heinous crimes such as murder or corruption. In practice, this creates two systems, and depending on the system where an inmate is put, it could be the difference between rehabilitation and neglect.  System 1 has been praised for its efficiency and results. First-time offenders often find that prison life in the 1st system resembles everyday life with facilities looking more like campuses. Inmates also have a myriad of employment and education options. The 1st system is first and foremost made to rehabilitate. As a result, it boasts great results such as a low return rate. The 1st system seems and in many ways is radically forgiving. It is focused on the bigger picture, what's best for society. In stark contrast to the 1st system, is the 2nd system where so called risk inmates are sent. Repeated offences, bad behavior and heinous crimes lead to an inmate being branded as a risk. The largest difference between the two systems is that the 2nd system is not designed to rehabilitate its prisoners. Risk inmates are often forced to into physical labor and are offered little in terms of educational opportunities. The 2nd system has a history of being put under international and local scrutiny for its cruel and unusual practices. Inmates that do leave the 2nd system often experience dire physical and psychological medical problems from beatings and psychological torture which are a part of everyday prison life. President Rémy's prison reforms have set a bleak outlook for anyone designated to be a risk since funding has largely been allocated to the 1st system. A 2017 study from the University of Shffahkiaville revealed that 2nd system facilities allocate only a 6th of the funding per prisoner than their 1st system counterparts.  "The lack of funding has led to facilities having to compensate through 'morally grey' activities. These include selling prisoner labor even when the facility in question isn't a labor camp and reselling prisoner's food and other supplies which means prisoners often get food only every other day in the present and that prison cafeterias are often empty. This is because facilities in the 2nd system often have such lacking funding that we have next to nothing left after we consider the pay for the faculty. If a facility wants to have educational courses or anything of the sort, it has to come up with the funding itself." An anonymous warden had to say of the situation. The Senate, Chamber and Collective of Ministers have all passed bills officially requesting for prison reform from the Council, but President Rémy has stood by his reforms arguing that a harsher stance on repeat offenders and heinous criminals deters crime, and that lowered funding leads to the resources being spent on those who still have a chance of rehabilitation. In fact, President Rémy has advocated for even harsher treatment but has been stopped by more moderate members of the Shffahkian Council. With the situation as it is in the Council, prison reform of any kind seems unlikely despite popular demand. 
    • The Aresi Stone is a story I'm writing about the deciphering of the Aresi Stone that could possibly take an Indiana Jones-ish turn. It will involve @Limonaia and @Prymont initially, but the nations can decide to be involved later. How does this sound?
    • Hey Aluxia I can whip up a fairly clear map for you if you want to just give me a rough sketch of what's going on.
    • With a gentle nod at the completion of the summit, he got up from his table. He went and set a timer for 30 minutes on his phone and began to follow those who left to visit the Eisteddfod, ignoring the press following him around completely. He could just feel the headlines begin to be written and generated, "President Tartaglione seen visiting PyeMcGowan Eisteddfod," he imagined. There was still that feeling in the back of his mind about possible listening devices being placed in the conference hall. One reporter with a notepad leaped in front of the president. "Loki Freymarsson, Alenian National Tribune! What has changed about the Chionian and Leverne Island fishing rights? What did you talk about in there?"  President Tartaglione suddenly panicked, Loki had scared him and he almost forgot what he was supposed to say. With a stutter, he spoke, "tariffs on imported foodstuffs are being lowered." Loki squinted at the president and, with a nod, wrote it down on his notepad. "Thank you, Mr. President." Loki ran off and vanished into the crowd. President Tartaglione continued with his day and returned to the Hall of Prosperity cafeteria for lunch.