Fulgistan

[OOC] Roleplaying in the Far Future

I initially suggested this idea on @Seylos' thread, but I figured I'd put it here, both for the sake of separating the two ideas and also because that thread's pretty old now. I'm hoping to put together a group of good writers to do an RP set in the far future, what our board used to describe as the "interstellar" period; this is essentially a soft sci-fi setting, with the basic elements of our roleplaying style overlaid onto it. It is, of course, optional whether or not you choose to portray your current country in this RP; I imagine that, centuries later, even nations (really, interplanetary states by this point) that are around today will have undergone significant changes in the far future. As for people who asked for a tag, I can remember off the top of my head @Adaptus and @Rihan. Anyone else is free to express interest as well, of course. Once we get a posse together, we can start planning, either in this thread or over discord.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Recently, several members expressed their interest in a far future RP, for example everyone's favourite Alharun commie @Fulgistan.
Over the course of the past few days, I came up with a fun story line, however, to plan ahead, I'd like to know how many participants I should plan for and who they might be.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Merged two threads because I forgot about this one, sorry, @Fulgistan.

Anyhow, the following people expressed their interest in participating in this:

In my opinion, the number of participants shouldn't exceed ten at most. Based on a Discord search, @Adaptus seemed to be interested as well.

Might post the beginning of the RP soon.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 2

Allright, the introduction is out.

Now, y'all have some time to adapt to the setting, think about what you want your species to be like (this could and should be based on your current nation). Mind, that you can (and should :P) change the phenotype. It would be best if none used vanilla humans, for example, @Fulgistan could use some space commie gundam centaurs.

The story will follow combined efforts of different species trying to find out where their FTL engines came from. Whether you want this to be a fleet of vessels, or just a small team of explorers, is up to you. Therefore, I'd like to know what you'd prefer. This will decide whether I will set things up for a large international conference, or whether the stage will be set for a small group of voyagers to meet and to go out on a journey.

Naturally, feel free to give me feedback here.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

One more note, since there were some questions about the races on the discord:

• no "vanilla" humans please, this is far, far in the future
  • if you use humans or a human-like species, they believe to have originated on their home world

StYaJI1.png
kFdbXuB.png
FLFIGJu.png

So to summarise, although this is a major plot element, whatever your species is, it is a far future descendant of earthborn life, it just doesn't know about it anymore.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's going to be a little while until I can get involved so please do not wait for me to get started.

Edited by Rihan

When things die down here and I catch up, maybe I may join up on this?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunset Sea Islands said:

You have got to be kidding me. Not renaming this, screw this kid.

Just saw that too while lurking around NS. Really disappointing reading that thing, considering that one thread single-handedly constitutes most of the forums' total posts...

10 minutes ago, Sunset Sea Islands said:

No, his was published earlier.

So what you're saying is that you nicked the name off of him? 

3 minutes ago, Variota said:

So what you're saying is that you nicked the name off of him? 

Damn, busted.

In all seriousness, these developments were totally independent. I also wondered whether "The Radiant" is a too cliche name for an SciFi-Story.

After thinking about this some more, I've decided that this story should follow a small group of individuals, rather than large fleets. Furthermore, concerning your space empires:

• No direct copy/pasting (f.e. Lusotropian Star Empire)
    This doesn't mean that your empire cannot be based on your current nation. However, since these events are supposed to be millenia in the future, you shouldn't simply say that your national identity carried over long enough for humans to evolve further in the meantime or even for other Eurthborne life to develop sapience. Whatever the humans will be like in the far, far future, they probably won't associate with some prehistoric microscopic nation state on some planet everyone has long forgotten. Your empire should assume that their traits/culture is theirs, not remnants of their ancestors that died tens of thousands of years ago.
  • No current-day homo sapiens sapiens
    This will be so far in the future, that there will be none of our species left, only post-human forms of life, descendants of the human race, who have adapted to their new surroundings aeons ago. Until they received the gift of FTL technology, your people dwelled on some foreign planet for innumerable centuries, so, naturally, they changed over time. Whether you want your species to resemble humans or be radically different, is up to you. We can explain it the good old "life elsewhere in the universe could be extremely similar to us"-way. That's also why I mentioned all known forms of life to be based on DNA.
  • No circlejerking
    The relations in size/power should be more or less the same as they currently are. People who joined the community recently or have low activity should not have giant empires spanning thousands of planets and star systems. It wouldn't be too weird if the species of a well-established member like @Fulgistan had 10-20 inhabited planets, but there should be no omnipotent Kualoan Galactic Dynasty that annihilates all its enemies with antimatter bombs sent through wormholes.
  • You don't have to be a classical sci-fi empire, nor have you to be big
    It's kinda boring if everyone wants to play huge empires, like the classical Star Trek species, f.e. the Klingons and the Romulans. Naturally, you can do that (looking at you, @Rihan), but you don't have to. What's the harm of playing some species with a low population who's happy living on their beautiful laguna world? Doesn't it add flavour if your whole species lives in monasteries spread across their whole home world? Why live on a planet in the first place, if you can have a glorious spaceship-fleet-dwelling species (@Variota), or one living aboard a giant space station? Same goes for government types, everything's possible. Empire, republic, criminal syndicate, theocracy, only to name a few. Whatever you do, be creative.

Reposting the discord screenshots from before:

• Like 4

I'm in. 

I think the outlines above work well. I have a good understand of where Adaptus would be at this point. Or at least, its successor would be. What we do need to establish, is technology. We need to understand the limitations, and paradigms of the technology of this time. Otherwise, we end up with chaos around what is viable and what isn't. This setting is in the realms of things such as Foundations, Dune, and Warhammer 40K in regards of where it sits in terms of "far future". So I'd suggest we can use such works to roughly gauge a viable technological level. Now this isn't to say technology is a constant. It's likely there are varying levels of this. 

But this absolutely needs to be established before we continue. 

Secondly, we need a rough plot. At least a starting plot. From what SSI is saying, we're looking at an almost D&D style experience. Small in scale, focusing on a handful of characters, with empires, and nations playing secondary, and scene setting roles. Might be worth discussing this via Discord to establish a goo baseline, and return here would an overview. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Adaptus said:

What we do need to establish, is technology.

In my opinion, it all depends on how much time is supposed to have passed between the "discovery" FTL and the events of the story. If it happens relatively quickly, most empires would probably only have settled their home systems, in which they would have been trapped for thousands of years. If some hundred years have passed in the meantime, we could have seen major interstellar expansion and even warfare in the past. Since, afaik, none of us are into circlejerk war RP, we shouldn't spend too much time on weapons. If you have a way of traveling at light speed without collisions with random particles destroying your ships, ship-to-ship combad probably isn't viable either way, since projectiles could be deflected. I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say about what the state of technology should be like.

Secondly, we need a rough plot.

• group of adventurers meet
  • search for the source of the FTL drives
  • everyone has their own reasons (knowledge, power, money, gaining an upper hand over the other species, whatever)
  • search for clues on where it came from
  • visit multiple planets etc. on their search for clues
  • surprise surprise, the engines came from Eurth
  • I'll keep to myself what they'll find on Eurth, except for a world uninhabited by humans

we're looking at an almost D&D style experience.

That's actually a kinda cool aspect I haven't even thought about. We could add some D&D-like elements to this, sounds dope. Any ideas on how to achieve that?

with empires, and nations playing secondary, and scene setting roles.

I'd definitely prefer it that way. Unless you guys want to RP epic empire vs. empire space battles, which I find to be kinda boring, tbh.

• Like 2

All right, the stage has been set, you can now take turns to introduce your character(s). I guess you can have up to three characters, although one would be better. They should all be of your species. You could also use this opportunity to introduce your species/empire.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• MP's to vote on this years budget Thursday This Thursday Mp's are set to vote for this year's budget. This will be the first big vote since Parliament rejoined after the Christmas break.  Obviously the Tories with the majority in the Commons and Knights the budget is expected to pass easily.  We will be covering Budget day tomorrow and will update you with any news. With GBNB I'm Amy Collin's.
    • Dead Shffahkian Inmate Found in Solitary Confinement Cell Ignites Controversy Jaïr Taulle, 38, was found dead in a solitary confinement cell in the Éleigne Federal Penitentiary on January the 7th 2019. The death was initially reported as a suicide by the prison faculty. However, the sister of the deceased, Anne Lozé, didn't buy the initial report later filing a request for an investigative committee to look into the matter on January 9th. The Committee for the Investigation of Prisoner Maltreatment in Éleigne Federal Penitentiary returned January 14th with its findings that would go on to shock many Shffahkians. The committee found that Jaïr Taulle had died of dehydration as a result of extreme neglect from the prison staff.   Interviews with staff members reveal that he was left as the only inmate in solitary confinement by a checking error leading to him essentially being forgotten. A guard wishing to remain anonymous said ".... [the] part where solitary confinement is located is actually rarely visited by guards or staff when there's no inmate there." The committee concluded with the finding that a checking error had led to Taulle being reported as absent from solitary confinement when in reality he was still there. The guard in charge of checking was found to not have been actually the one to conduct the procedure. Rather he had left it to another guard which according to the anonymous guard isn't very rare. "The lack of resources and manpower often leads to situations where senior guards allocate their duties to newer officers." The horrific discovery of the actual conditions in Éleigne has galvanized many into action and caused an uproar in many parts of Shffahkia. The locals living near Éleigne have signed a petition to close the facility down. The petition will be looked over by the Mines Générales rehabilitation committee. Yet this isn't the first time the treatment of prisoners has caused uproar in Shffahkia. It isn't even the first time Éleigne has caused such controversy. Colloquially Éleigne is known as Monmor (Mont Mort) for its location and infamous reputation.  Prison reform has long been discussed and advocated for. There has even been a hit movie called "The Blue Inmate"  based on a book of the same name written by Sacha Taôme. The Blue Inmate is a biography telling the story of the writer's own experiences as an inmate in a similar neglected facility in the early 2000s. The most memorable scene from the movie is the so called "yard execution" where a guard outright shoots an uncooperative inmate. "The system became very clear to me at that moment. Guards who are willing to do egregious acts get promoted while the decent leave. This is all in the name of efficiency, to keep the facility productive. The food shortages, overworking inmates and the disregard most are put under make perfect sense when you think of the purpose of the facility: to produce as much as possible with the lowest cost. It all creates this toxic atmosphere where inmates live in a perpetual state of terror fearing for their very survival. To my knowledge, that guard hasn't faced any repercussions for taking the inmate's life to this day." Sacha writes about the occurrence.  Tougher Than Tough When Is It Enough? Enacting prison reform isn't a simple affair. The Federal Senate, the Chamber of Representatives and the Collective of Ministers have no say in prison reform as rehabilitation and facilities related to it are strictly under the control of the Shffahkian Council. The sitting president of the Council, President Rémy, has flat out stopped any attempt at reform. His "tougher-than-tough" rehabilitation policy is mostly credited with the current prison system and its results both good and bad. According to the current system, inmates are classified as either risk inmates or not. The risk classification is given to repeat offenders or inmates charged with especially heinous crimes such as murder or corruption. In practice, this creates two systems, and depending on the system where an inmate is put, it could be the difference between rehabilitation and neglect.  System 1 has been praised for its efficiency and results. First-time offenders often find that prison life in the 1st system resembles everyday life with facilities looking more like campuses. Inmates also have a myriad of employment and education options. The 1st system is first and foremost made to rehabilitate. As a result, it boasts great results such as a low return rate. The 1st system seems and in many ways is radically forgiving. It is focused on the bigger picture, what's best for society. In stark contrast to the 1st system, is the 2nd system where so called risk inmates are sent. Repeated offences, bad behavior and heinous crimes lead to an inmate being branded as a risk. The largest difference between the two systems is that the 2nd system is not designed to rehabilitate its prisoners. Risk inmates are often forced to into physical labor and are offered little in terms of educational opportunities. The 2nd system has a history of being put under international and local scrutiny for its cruel and unusual practices. Inmates that do leave the 2nd system often experience dire physical and psychological medical problems from beatings and psychological torture which are a part of everyday prison life. President Rémy's prison reforms have set a bleak outlook for anyone designated to be a risk since funding has largely been allocated to the 1st system. A 2017 study from the University of Shffahkiaville revealed that 2nd system facilities allocate only a 6th of the funding per prisoner than their 1st system counterparts.  "The lack of funding has led to facilities having to compensate through 'morally grey' activities. These include selling prisoner labor even when the facility in question isn't a labor camp and reselling prisoner's food and other supplies which means prisoners often get food only every other day in the present and that prison cafeterias are often empty. This is because facilities in the 2nd system often have such lacking funding that we have next to nothing left after we consider the pay for the faculty. If a facility wants to have educational courses or anything of the sort, it has to come up with the funding itself." An anonymous warden had to say of the situation. The Senate, Chamber and Collective of Ministers have all passed bills officially requesting for prison reform from the Council, but President Rémy has stood by his reforms arguing that a harsher stance on repeat offenders and heinous criminals deters crime, and that lowered funding leads to the resources being spent on those who still have a chance of rehabilitation. In fact, President Rémy has advocated for even harsher treatment but has been stopped by more moderate members of the Shffahkian Council. With the situation as it is in the Council, prison reform of any kind seems unlikely despite popular demand. 
    • The Aresi Stone is a story I'm writing about the deciphering of the Aresi Stone that could possibly take an Indiana Jones-ish turn. It will involve @Limonaia and @Prymont initially, but the nations can decide to be involved later. How does this sound?
    • Hey Aluxia I can whip up a fairly clear map for you if you want to just give me a rough sketch of what's going on.
    • With a gentle nod at the completion of the summit, he got up from his table. He went and set a timer for 30 minutes on his phone and began to follow those who left to visit the Eisteddfod, ignoring the press following him around completely. He could just feel the headlines begin to be written and generated, "President Tartaglione seen visiting PyeMcGowan Eisteddfod," he imagined. There was still that feeling in the back of his mind about possible listening devices being placed in the conference hall. One reporter with a notepad leaped in front of the president. "Loki Freymarsson, Alenian National Tribune! What has changed about the Chionian and Leverne Island fishing rights? What did you talk about in there?"  President Tartaglione suddenly panicked, Loki had scared him and he almost forgot what he was supposed to say. With a stutter, he spoke, "tariffs on imported foodstuffs are being lowered." Loki squinted at the president and, with a nod, wrote it down on his notepad. "Thank you, Mr. President." Loki ran off and vanished into the crowd. President Tartaglione continued with his day and returned to the Hall of Prosperity cafeteria for lunch.