Faramount

Law of the Sea Convention

Link to IC topic

I've been working on a draft of a simplified version of the major conventions pertaining to the law of the sea. I'll get into specific provisions later, but this would provide a baseline for maritime law, allowing us to operate for the most part based on the real life rules. My thought is we could RP this convention occurring (and actually debate the couple of interesting noteworthy issues), and then just establish that the many smaller RL maritime rules were subsequently adopted by the international organization created by this convention. My thought is that this convention should happen 1-2 decades after a major global conflict, and should be based in the main port of a major maritime power.

Would people be interested in participating? Any ideas on when/where the convention should occur?

• Like 2

I'd certainly be interested in participating, most trade goes through the sea and so having maritime law is very important to Mauridiviah and every other nation. I'd recommend setting the RP after the period of regional wars, which would place the RP sometime after 1956.

• Like 2

Yes. As an island nation, I would very much like to be involved with this. I have some existing shipping companies, and a designated trade government position.

Works for me. Totally okay with Orioni being the meeting place for this discussion.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 3:38 AM, Faramount said:

My thought is that this convention should happen 1-2 decades after a major global conflict, and should be based in the main port of a major maritime power.

As an island nation, I'd be happy to participate as well! I'd suggest the Thalassan War as the conflict, as a large part of that that war was fought out on sea. On a side note, it would be nice for the SSI to host the discussion to show that the reform and democratisation of the nation of the SSI worked. It could be a nice beginning for the tradition of diplomacy in the SSI. Naturally, I totally support hosting it in Orioni. Just another proposal. :D 

• Like 2

We can have it in the Sunset Sea Islands as well. And I do think the Thalassian War could certainly play a role in its materialization.

• Like 2

Alright. SSI, do you want to start up a thread? I imagine you could just start with the opening of the conference itself. We'd already have done all the preliminaries well in advance (the text of the treaty having been almost completely written in advance).

• Like 3

On 9/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, Faramount said:

Alright. SSI, do you want to start up a thread? I imagine you could just start with the opening of the conference itself. We'd already have done all the preliminaries well in advance (the text of the treaty having been almost completely written in advance).

A'ight, someone want to write about how the conference goes?

No worries, Tag, we can take this slowly. In fact, if its good with everyone, maybe we could schedule this out.

1. Arrivals. We set aside the next fourteen days for participants to post the arrival of their delegation.

2. Opening ceremony. SSI can then optionally do a post describing the opening ceremony. I figure this can be a nice clear break point, plus it'd give SSI the opportunity to showcase high culture in his nation in this period.

3. Negotiations. We can jump from there directly into negotiations. I figured if it was alright with everyone, I'd play a NPC representative of the group of legal experts that would've developed the original language. This character would identify the major issues of contention, then open the floor for commentary.

We'd just negotiate from there until we reach consensus. I will note -- international law is developed via consensus, so literally everyone present will have to agree. So if there are differences, this might take time. Conversely, if we find quick agreement, maybe only a few weeks.

4. Closing/Signing Ceremony (with discussion of separate ratification). We'd then conclude with a closing/signing ceremony. SSI would again post the first post of this, so as to break up the thread, and then we'd all post our signing (and discuss subsequent ratification).

5. Wiki. I'll then create an article on the wiki for the convention, as well as for the International Maritime Organization. And we can then have an OOC discussion about the mundane work the IMO has been doing since the convention (none of which we will want to actually RP, but which I will incorporate into the article).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Orioni
      For 2019 I'm planning a small tourism RP. Its focus is to explore the cultures and sights of nations in Argis and Alharu. This will be semi-open depending on which nations grants a tourism visa to my character. The title is a pun on Mr Smith goes to Washington but other than the name this has little to do with politics.
      Story
      Mr Hidad Simizi has reached the pension age of 66 years. Unfortunately, his wife of Isla Raisi died in 2014. The couple had been married since 1971. His three children have all left the house. For the last 5 years he has been putting some money aside and now he wants to see the world. He is making plans to visit Argis and Alharu, collectively referred to here as "Alhargis". (If this works out well and Mr Simizi survives the trip, perhaps he might visit more places in the future.)
      Character Profile

Hidad Simizi is a 66-year-old former tradesperson's assistant who enjoys watching television, baking and he is obsessed with photography. His other hobbies include jigsaw puzzles, knitting, football, cycling, donating blood. Backstory. Hidad has three children from his late wife Isla: daughter Halliye (born 1975), daughter Gloriya (born 1980) and son Jabril (born). He grew up in an impoverished working-class neighbourhood. After his mother died when he was young, he was raised by his father. He finished school and then left academia. Hidad's best friend is another tradesperson's assistant called Elmer Oweni who nicknamed him "Lazy Hidad". The two men have a very fiery friendship. He also hangs around with his neighbour Patsy Neali. They enjoy watching television together. Character. He is giving and friendly, but can also be very thick and a bit lazy. He is an Orionii man who defines himself as straight. Appearance. Physically, Hidad is slightly overweight but otherwise in good shape. He is short with brown skin, black hair and black eyes. He has a small moustache. He is allergic to milk. Countries to visit
      Once it's clear which countries are open to tourism, I'll have him apply for a Visa in each of these nations. If you're open to a visit, please start by filling out this form with additional details.
      VISA APPLICATION FORM * Requirement: (yes/no) * Max. duration: (days) * Health requirements: (which) TOURISM GUIDE * Top cities: (city names) * Sights worth seeing: (historical buildings, special places, parks) * Cultural events taking place: (what, where, when, how many days) * Getting around: (airlines, public transportation, taxi) * Local cuisine: (what to eat and drink, what to avoid) * Sleeping: (hotels) Itinerary
      Right now I'm thinking of having him visit Alharu and Argis from west to east. It really depends on which nations are welcoming enough to grant him a tourist Visa.
      @Andalla Can I start out by having my character travel via Arkhavn?
      Confirmed visits:
      Andalla (layover) Fulgistan
    • By Prymont
      OOC: @Fleur de Lys, you weren't contacted about the invitation of these new members because you'd left Europa. You still haven't returned to the Discord, which is where we discussed these changes, so it's very obvious that you weren't consulted. Why would we consult someone that's left the region? 
    • By Vocenae
      OOC: Only gone in the sense that I don't park my nation here anymore. I visit the forum and RMB quite frequently. After all, I didn't put years of keeping the lights on just to entirely walk away. And just in case anyone was wondering, my nation uses soft Cs, not hard. As such, you pronounce the full name as: vOH Sin Nay, and the capital city as: vOH See Ah. Otherwise, on Discord or as the name I go by most everywhere else "Voc", that's a hard sound, like saying the word "Voke".
      Anyway,  I'd rather do this in a OOC thread, but as there is none, well, gonna do it here. Sorry.
      For the record, I authorized the use of mentioning Vocenae while visiting the Europa Discord, but I did not, however, authorize full use of it, or characters, named or otherwise, within it. This is a very clear use of another player's IP without permission, and while the scenario surrounding it is different, the problem behind it is no different than is I or any other player decided to go "And a group of corrupt Andallan politicians and soldiers had reached out for supporters of a coup". It's taking control of another player's assets, no matter if they're 'here' or gone entirely and it's not acceptable.
      Sorry if this comes off as harsh. I've had more than a few people steal things from me and my nation over the years and it's left me more than a little defensive when people take liberties with my stuff.
      Again, for the record, here is the amount of content that I gave permission for:
      This was the extent in which I was led to believe you would be mentioning my nation, which again, I gave permission for.
      I did NOT, however, give permission for use of anything else involving my nation. As such, I'm going to have to ask you to remove all references to my nation, beyond the above, from your post. Again, sorry if this sounds harsh, blunt or mean-spirited. It is not intended that way, but I will defend my IP. And as a basic creative rule, always, ALWAYS try to get permission from another player or if that player no longer exists, use a NPC nation. Don't ever use someone else's property without permission.
      And if anyone EVER needs to contact me concerning the usage of my nation in an RP, or just RP ideas in general, I am always a simple Telegram, PM or Discord Message away. PLEASE contact me as get my permission before using my nation again in the future. Thank you.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Name of Company:- Who are you? Mercator Shipbuilding Division Type of Business: - What does the company do? The Mercator Group’s Shipbuilding division is the primary supplier of vessels for PyeMcGowan’s largest shipping conglomerate. Nation of Origin:- Where is your HQ. Southerland City, PyeMcGowan  What is to be manufactured at MTIZ? The primary manufactured good to be constructed at MTIZ are container ships, and once or twice every year an order for a ‘Special Vessel’ will be placed. These could be Cruise liners or navy destroyers. What is getting made?  Vessels, as explained above Number of Workers to be recruited locally:-  2,890 employees will be hired locally, 20 of which will be Administrative positions. Number of visiting workers to be based there:-  There will be 111 foreign workers. 90 will work in the Shipyard’s office as office workers. 20 will be High level supervisors and inspectors. And 1 will be the Site Administrator.
    • Home | World | Salvia | Business | Politics | Opinion | Tech  People’s Address Slated for Monday  The annual People’s Address, originally started by Pope Gregory VII after being elected to the presidency in 1848, is scheduled to occur at Murphy’s Cathedral on Monday, at around 6:00 PM.  It will be the most watched address since it was first broadcasted in 1959.  Top officials have said that Saulius plans tol cover topics related to the economy, infrastructure, healthcare and welfare, and international relations.  This address is of particular note, as it comes after a year of warming relations with Tagmatium as well as Salvia’s emergence back into international diplomacy after a long period of quiet isolationism following the Long War.  The People’s Address was established by Pope Gregory VII in 1848, a month after being elected to the presidency, an office established following the People’s War, a democratic uprising against the monarchy.  Pope Gregory VII, after aiding the overthrow of the corrupt and secular monarchy, was elected to the presidency, where a month later he addressed the first Concilio Populi.  This began the tradition of the People’s Address, which is now scheduled for the third Monday of February each year.   
    • @Alenveil, message me over the next two days as I would like to discuss how you want me to proceed in terms of this meeting.
    • Morror Kassus Honorable Noble of Rihan (Khlinæ'eri emotæ mnea Rihana) and Senator of the Republic (Deihu mnea Rheilhhu) does hereby announce: a week of feasting, arena games, and boundless entertainment lasting from Brax (March) 15-20 in the name of our brave men and women who won a glorious victory at Duronom Free and open to the public, all provided at the personal expense of Morror Kassus   OOC: As you will see concerning the date, this will take place following events yet to be played out in the "In the Shadows" plot line but I wanted to set it up now for when the time comes. Also, if people have ideas or designs for a personal seal for Morror Kassus going forward that I can use, let me know.
    • I would definitely like to participate in this. Maybe Llalta, being so isolated and safe, could act as some kind of save haven for people to escape to? Of course, this would lead to some issues like maybe an infected group of people attempting to find refuge in Llalta and the issues our small government will face.

Connect