Faramount

Law of the Sea Convention

Link to IC topic

I've been working on a draft of a simplified version of the major conventions pertaining to the law of the sea. I'll get into specific provisions later, but this would provide a baseline for maritime law, allowing us to operate for the most part based on the real life rules. My thought is we could RP this convention occurring (and actually debate the couple of interesting noteworthy issues), and then just establish that the many smaller RL maritime rules were subsequently adopted by the international organization created by this convention. My thought is that this convention should happen 1-2 decades after a major global conflict, and should be based in the main port of a major maritime power.

Would people be interested in participating? Any ideas on when/where the convention should occur?

• Like 2

I'd certainly be interested in participating, most trade goes through the sea and so having maritime law is very important to Mauridiviah and every other nation. I'd recommend setting the RP after the period of regional wars, which would place the RP sometime after 1956.

• Like 2

Yes. As an island nation, I would very much like to be involved with this. I have some existing shipping companies, and a designated trade government position.

I'd be up for this idea

On 8/24/2018 at 3:38 AM, Faramount said:

My thought is that this convention should happen 1-2 decades after a major global conflict, and should be based in the main port of a major maritime power.

As an island nation, I'd be happy to participate as well! I'd suggest the Thalassan War as the conflict, as a large part of that that war was fought out on sea. On a side note, it would be nice for the SSI to host the discussion to show that the reform and democratisation of the nation of the SSI worked. It could be a nice beginning for the tradition of diplomacy in the SSI. Naturally, I totally support hosting it in Orioni. Just another proposal. :D 

• Like 2

Alright. SSI, do you want to start up a thread? I imagine you could just start with the opening of the conference itself. We'd already have done all the preliminaries well in advance (the text of the treaty having been almost completely written in advance).

• Like 3

On 9/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, Faramount said:

Alright. SSI, do you want to start up a thread? I imagine you could just start with the opening of the conference itself. We'd already have done all the preliminaries well in advance (the text of the treaty having been almost completely written in advance).

A'ight, someone want to write about how the conference goes?

No worries, Tag, we can take this slowly. In fact, if its good with everyone, maybe we could schedule this out.

1. Arrivals. We set aside the next fourteen days for participants to post the arrival of their delegation.

2. Opening ceremony. SSI can then optionally do a post describing the opening ceremony. I figure this can be a nice clear break point, plus it'd give SSI the opportunity to showcase high culture in his nation in this period.

3. Negotiations. We can jump from there directly into negotiations. I figured if it was alright with everyone, I'd play a NPC representative of the group of legal experts that would've developed the original language. This character would identify the major issues of contention, then open the floor for commentary.

We'd just negotiate from there until we reach consensus. I will note -- international law is developed via consensus, so literally everyone present will have to agree. So if there are differences, this might take time. Conversely, if we find quick agreement, maybe only a few weeks.

4. Closing/Signing Ceremony (with discussion of separate ratification). We'd then conclude with a closing/signing ceremony. SSI would again post the first post of this, so as to break up the thread, and then we'd all post our signing (and discuss subsequent ratification).

5. Wiki. I'll then create an article on the wiki for the convention, as well as for the International Maritime Organization. And we can then have an OOC discussion about the mundane work the IMO has been doing since the convention (none of which we will want to actually RP, but which I will incorporate into the article).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@Faramount Judging from past experience, schedules don't work in practice. I've been part of both the ATARA and CIS founding ceremonies, as well as some ATARA lobbying event, and all of them struggled to progress despite clear schedules. The more people you invite, the worse it'll get - life gets in the way, people forget to write, they suffer from writer's block, etc... It often leads to a sloppy, half-finished RP, that only a few people remain dedicated to.

• Like 1

Perhaps as an alternative to a schedule, then, we should just get separate threads going? We can leave the arrivals thread up, and people can post on it as they get the chance. And then we can start a separate thread to actually begin the negotiations.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of mandatory time limits tbh. I don't see why "new arrivals" who might potentially hop onto the wagon after we've taken the next step couldn't be able to write a paragraph about their arrival before cutting to the negotiations.

• Like 2

This makes sense to me. So why don't we cut to the negotiations now, and then players who arrive later can still do that as they come?

SSI, do you want to do a post opening the talks? I imagine it'd be your head of state making some comments about the importance of cooperation in maritime areas, then yielding the floor to the independent expert I'd be RPing?

• Like 3

Well, I just noticed this thread. And I just now realize that taking part in this would very much be in our interest...

• Like 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Seylos
      So the OOC thread is here and I'm going to take my time here to explain exactly what I'd want to happen.
      What is Ceris?
      Ceris is the large island west of the island of Seylos and south of Derthalen. It's a complicated placed populated by a variety of nations and peoples. It's defining features are that of a poor and unstable place with frequent conflict between these nations. It is also home to the Ceriser culture, a rugged group of people formed long ago after Anglish, Alban, Cymrian, and Germanic cultures intertwined while settling the land. Below the surface, a forgotten threat has already begun to sink its teeth into the societies of Ceris.
      Who Are the Sentists?
      The Sentists were a radical cult formed over a year ago and made their appearance in the Dolch See Halloween RP. The nations of @Seylos, @Fulgistan, and Adaptus engaged with the mysterious seafaring pirates on the open ocean only for them to disappear again. The only thing known of their faith is that they greatly desire to send a message to their diety, whatever that message may be. They've already infested parts of Ceris and have started to sow chaos, though their involvement isn't strictly known just yet.
      A Look at Ceris

Above I've numbered every territory that could make an appearance in RP's about Ceris. Of course not every one of them needs to make it into the RP or be mentioned at all, but their possibilities are there. I've assembled a Google Doc giving a brief description of each country and what it may be like at the onset of the RP. Click Here To Look At It
      (For the moment ignore numbers 26-31. They are only there if we need them in the future)

How do I join? Won't this cause war with Seylos if I get involved?
      The majority of the island is of the Ceriser culture, and while distantly related to the main Seylosian cultures, relations between Seylos and these Ceriser countries has been sour. So don't worry! Seylos isn't going to throw a fit (in the beginning at least) over your involvement.
      As for how to get involved, you can get involved any way you see fit! With the exception of countries that have very xenophobic views almost all of them will accept help in whatever form from a country willing to offer it. These nations are on the brink of collapse and social upheaval and in general are very weak. Once your merry band of adventurers (no matter how big that group is ) gets into Ceris they will have free enough reign to move on with your bit in the story. Just don't forget you may get into conflict with another player's vision for that land.
      How will the story progress?
      Through myself. I will be making core story posts for Seylos's own adventure in Ceris and my posts will contain the major events that can effect everyone in the RP simultaneously. However don't let this slow you down, you can effect the world too without my posts.

So if you're interested or have any questions that I can clear up go ahead and make a post. This is a very open ended RP and it's a story we can all build together.
    • By Orioni
      I was thinking about regional organisations. And the spectrum of sea-based nations came to mind. The working title is GIN: Group of Island Nations. 
      Premise
      We could discuss common socio-economical topics challenges as economic development, trade and shipping, ecology, fishing, and much more. Because there'd probably be some shared problems and solutions there. Different from those other, land-based neighbours. 
      Leadership. From a practical point of view, perhaps rotating leadership role where the Secretary-General changes every 6 months.
      Agenda. The Sec-Gen is responsible for organising a conference on 1 topic. That's not too much pressure to post. Look to the PIF for more RL inspiration. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islands_Forum Or a similar RP organisation in Forest. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=392607
      Setting. Founding this somewhere in the 1970s would make sense. This would place it after the events taking place in The Law of the Sea (1959).
      Any interest?
      Off the top of my head, I'd ask these players if they're interested:
      @Andalla ✅ @Asgeirria @Astriedan @Bulgenstaz ✅ @Gallambria ✅ @Kipan ✅ @Llalta ✅ @Little Flau @Miiros @Orioni ✅ @Oyus ✅ @Pallamara @Sancti Imperii Catholico ✅ @Selayar @Seylos ✅ @Sunset Sea Islands ✅ @Synturia I'll attach a quick poll to gauge the amount of interest. If there is >50% positive votes, this can be considered a viable idea and we move onto establishing further details.
    • By Haruspex
      As a reawakening nation within Europa/Eurth, although not a dead race, perhaps not as focused upon the region about them as they might have been. It has been some time since a visit was conducted within the Haru lands, be it for simple curiosity or ventures of trade and economy. Recent events, a war, a return of the old ways, the acknowledgement of old friends and perhaps old enemies, brings the slumbering beast from its reverie once more. 
      The Occident is in a different state then when the Empress first, and the Emperor that followed, had paid attention to it. A new emperor is about to be crowned, banners once more shall rustle in the breeze. Shall this be more of the same, or a different approach to the realm as it knows.