The other night we were chatting, abet briefly, about the concept of introducing a resource map in addition to the complement of other maps we already have in play. I took that conversation and went digging back into my archives of NS maps of the past that I've kept on hand should some use could come of them and I managed to recover a resource map the former RP'ing region of Caprica made years ago.

minerals2.png

It's simple, yet effective. They had made it as a complement to their topographic maps (which I also have on hand).

We do not need an overly complicated map, it just needs to be practical, ensures that resources are seeded in fair and reasonable manner, and gives enough flexibility within the respective resource categories to allow creativity. Like if you have 'ore' - you would have the ability to define it.

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hmm.

I imagine it can add an extra dimension to the RPing.

One thing I've been struggling on is precisely what sort of industries and resources would be common in Tagmatium. I don't know enough to conclusively work this sort of thing out to my satisfaction myself. It might be big enough to have something of most things, but that's almost kind of approaching godmoding and a bit sh*t, really.

Plus giving more of a driving force behind trading resources.

• Like 2

That's part of the reason why I think this is a map we need. It actually would provide a better ability to manage regional trade and ensure that not every single state is capable of mining rare earths for example. It will give nations the ability to pinpoint their economic strengths and note their weaknesses and convert that into proper commerce. The map would be influenced not just by the topographic map, but also based upon climate and with some inference where certain reasons are more likely to be than others. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rihan said:

That's part of the reason why I think this is a map we need. It actually would provide a better ability to manage regional trade and ensure that not every single state is capable of mining rare earths for example. It will give nations the ability to pinpoint their economic strengths and note their weaknesses and convert that into proper commerce. The map would be influenced not just by the topographic map, but also based upon climate and with some inference where certain reasons are more likely to be than others. 

It'd certainly be interesting to see whether it'd be more logical to have cities or at least how a canal system might go between them. And railways as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Tagmatium Rules said:

It'd certainly be interesting to see whether it'd be more logical to have cities or at least how a canal system might go between them. And railways as well.

Indeed. This map, while simple, would additionally help us see if our places of cities make any sense at all. Clearly the ones on the coasts do, but the interior ones is a different story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rihan said:

Indeed. This map, while simple, would additionally help us see if our places of cities make any sense at all. Clearly the ones on the coasts do, but the interior ones is a different story.

Yep.

I placed some of my cities through sheer dint of trying to make some of the places a bit less or more busy than others. Let's see how that comes to bite me :P

1 minute ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

Yep.

I placed some of my cities through sheer dint of trying to make some of the places a bit less or more busy than others. Let's see how that comes to bite me :P

"...the city of Y was built 1000 years ago on a rumored river...800 years later, the purpose of the city is rather unclear and appears to be built for the sheer purpose of saying we can put something here as there is no such river..."

• Like 1

While I think that this idea is worth pursuing, I don't think that it's fair to established nations to rearrange the resources they've established in their factbooks and through RP; so long as the established stated resources are preserved, within reason, this seems more or less fine to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fulgistan said:

While I think that this idea is worth pursuing, I don't think that it's fair to established nations to rearrange the resources they've established in their factbooks and through RP; so long as the established stated resources are preserved, within reason, this seems more or less fine to me.

I acknowledge that implementing this after people have already have established certain specifics. If anything, the categories should be as open to interpretation as possible. You say you have 'ore' - it can whatever ore you want it to be. It would be too much of inconvenience to be too specific. Just like oil is more likely to be in some areas over others.

Ultimately, it needs to be simple, practical, and not leave anyone as an autarky. I think that can be achieved, all while taking into account already implied resources.

• Like 3

We could always build it around existing things. So as long as you've got your major natural resources identified in the google sheet, they'd be accounted for in the map?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Faramount said:

We could always build it around existing things. So as long as you've got your major natural resources identified in the google sheet, they'd be accounted for in the map?

That could be a possibility and would get people thinking of their economies more since I have noticed that some as in many (even I am not 100% certain what I have) haven't even filled in those columns. Could be up for conversation.

• Like 3

In most cases I'd say this idea of a ressource map has its origins in RPs where there's an immense disconnect between what nations claim to have and what's realistic for a nation of limited size to have.

As in: those nations in many other RPs that are completely self-sufficient regarding everything and anything (although this is usually very narrowed down to fossil fuels).

At least that's why Rihan and I originally started to think about it... but that scenario doesn't even apply here as far as I can tell.

However even here it could be nice to implement for two reasons:

1. as was already mentioned, in order to come to terms with what ones own nation actually has. Whether your nation has unlimited fresh-water or actually needs to ration that at times/artificially create some/import it, whether or not you export fossil fuel, are partly self-sufficient, or only import gas, etc.pp. ... I'm sure a lot of people here already did that, but I suppose it's always nice to have it written down in one central place.
  2. in order to delve into some commodity trade of primary ressources. Not for the sake of making things complicated and having a complicated market system, but just to create dependencies that'll make diplomacy more complex and interesting. Just have the basics most modern industries relies on: fossil fuels, iron-ore, bauxite, timber, rare-earths, fresh-water, arable land (maybe expressed in '% self-sufficiency'), and whatever else I forgot. Maybe the deeper we delve, adding stuff like specific elements/oxides/ores vital for various industry branches or products.
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a resource map, but I'd also suggest that it is 'opt in' only, or allow them to make their own resource maps (with rules for said customization so it's not godmodding, limited number of X and Y, etc).

• Like 1

Vocenae, the map if anything it would be used as a guide not a definitive statement, meant to give the nation-player the ability to get a general sense of the land, not dictate the exact resources. So if you have a mountain - you probably have ore. I am not going to tell you what it is - I leave that to you (let's just hope everyone doesn't have platinum...). Some places on the map make more sense for agriculture based on climate. Everything is still wide open. Merely wanted to start the conversation. Not to mention that implementing such a concept isn't going to happen overnight and may be not for some months at least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2018 at 1:33 AM, Vocenae said:

I like the idea of a resource map, but I'd also suggest that it is 'opt in' only, or allow them to make their own resource maps (with rules for said customization so it's not godmodding, limited number of X and Y, etc).

Perhaps this is a question best addressed by people who are actively RPing with this region.

:)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I see nothing wrong with providing additional thoughts on the subject, on how it could be incorporated without removing an aspect of creative agency from players that would be responsible in creating their nation as they envision it. At the end of the day, yes, it's up to everyone here to make that decision as it directly affects them, not me. I simply wanted to suggest, not demand, additional options in the hopes of making this project that much more successful for those that will be involved in it. As a veteran of this community, I simply care about it and want to see it continue to grow in a positive way, regardless if they take any suggestions I might have or not.

As stated, I think the idea of a resource map is a good idea overall.

Edited by Vocenae

I do think a resource map is a good addition. And I do see where some individuals are coming from in regards to it being introduced after the fact. I have been in half a dozen regions that always talked about doing this but never got around to it. I think Europa can pull it off and still be generous to those who already have something developed without creating one-side economies. I say we continue the conversation over time and see where it takes us.