Jump to content
Faramount

Request: Faramount

Recommended Posts

Posting here per Orioni's recommendation. I'd spent a couple hours chatting with people on discord last night about where/what I might play. I'm pretty open -- I just don't want to be European, don't want to be developed, and don't want to be neighborless.

  • Nation in Europa: Faramount (though in-game name may be Faramont, if I go with Fleur as my colonizer)
  • Flag: Three stripes -- orange, green, and light blue. Very simple.
  • Capital name: TBD (based on who colonized the country)
  • Capital location: TBD (will need to decide this once I start figuring out the history more)
  • Factbook link: None of yet
  • Newsroom link: None of yet
  • Culture: Probably a mix of several African cultures with some kind of European overlay from period of colonization (currently thinking French, as Fleur de Lys has offered to be a colonial power that ruled me, but nothing is finalized).
  • Climate: Something on the warmer end (tropical? hot desert?).
  • Location: We had talked about my being placed here last night, but I recognize that "I want that land" is not how this works. I'm open for anything.
  • History: Nation would have been drawn into existence by European colonizers in the last couple centuries, hence it being relatively sizable (though I imagine a low population density due to underdevelopment). There'd be several different ethnic groups, and a number of different tribal groups, all lumped together unhappily. This would underpin the ultimate instability that I plan to be a central plot point of my RP. Nation would start game ruled by a dictator, who seized power in a bloodless coup not long after the colonial power withdrew (maybe 50-60 years ago).
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Faramount said:

Posting here per Orioni's recommendation. I'd spent a couple hours chatting with people on discord last night about where/what I might play. I'm pretty open -- I just don't want to be European, don't want to be developed, and don't want to be neighborless.

Nation in Europa: Faramount (though in-game name may be Faramont, if I go with Fleur as my colonizer)

Flag: Three stripes -- orange, green, and light blue. Very simple.

Capital name: TBD (based on who colonized the country)

Capital location: TBD (will need to decide this once I start figuring out the history more)

Factbook link: None of yet

Newsroom link: None of yet

Culture: Probably a mix of several African cultures with some kind of European overlay from period of colonization (currently thinking French, as Fleur de Lys has offered to be a colonial power that ruled me, but nothing is finalized).

Climate: Something on the warmer end (tropical? hot desert?).

Location: We had talked about my being placed here last night, but I recognize that "I want that land" is not how this works. I'm open for anything.

History: Nation would have been drawn into existence by European colonizers in the last couple centuries, hence it being relatively sizable (though I imagine a low population density due to underdevelopment). There'd be several different ethnic groups, and a number of different tribal groups, all lumped together unhappily. This would underpin the ultimate instability that I plan to be a central plot point of my RP. Nation would start game ruled by a dictator, who seized power in a bloodless coup not long after the colonial power withdrew (maybe 50-60 years ago).

I'd be nice with another nation in Alharu, just a thought here... Perhaps having a coastline would be smart, considering you used to be a colony, and Marudiviah wasn't a colony of Fleur de Lys?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my request, remade after further worldbuilding.

  • Nation in Europa: Democratic Republic of Faramount (République Démocratique de Faramont)
  • Flag: Three stripes -- orange, green, and light blue. Very simple.
  • Capital name: Port Jacqueline
  • Capital location: Coastline of nation, ideally at mouth of a river.
  • Factbook link: Link
  • Newsroom link: 1, 2, 3
  • Culture: French, which was imposed upon an indigenous African. 
  • Climate: Something on the warmer end (tropical? hot desert?).
  • Location: I'd like to be a relatively sizable state with only a limited coastline.
  • History: Originally colonized by Limonaia, then by Fleur de Lys, before achieving independence in 1945. Military coup in 1963 established present government.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Faramount I've come up with a few ideas. Being next to @Mauridiviah is a good idea, although I would suggest settling east of him. Alternatively, going even more east, you could claim the largest river delta in the world.

WOIwuKE.png

Furthermore, you could settle next to @Shffahkia as well, as it would fit colonial lore as well. However, those lands are either continental or mediterranean climate-wise.

4NNtURF.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tagmatium Rules said:

That river delta one...

😍

I've had a chance to inspect the map quite closely over the last 2 days and I have to say that general area is quite nice. Faramount, I think you have a winner with that one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely took great interest in the delta, and I continue to agonize over which is the better place to go. Yet I think ultimately, I am averse to the delta because its so good. My nation is a former mining colony; it was indirectly ruled for all but 40 years. But such a prosperous river delta -- it would've drawn settlers, not imperialists. I'd surely have a transplant population -- and, given the natural basis for agriculture, gravel, and sand, probably an economically successful transplant population. My nation doesn't have that same level of economic prosperity.

But I'm certainly open to input here. What makes you guys prefer it?

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Faramount said:

I definitely took great interest in the delta, and I continue to agonize over which is the better place to go. Yet I think ultimately, I am averse to the delta because its so good. My nation is a former mining colony; it was indirectly ruled for all but 40 years. But such a prosperous river delta -- it would've drawn settlers, not imperialists. I'd surely have a transplant population -- and, given the natural basis for agriculture, gravel, and sand, probably an economically successful transplant population. My nation doesn't have that same level of economic prosperity.

But I'm certainly open to input here. What makes you guys prefer it?

I'd say an imperialist nation would seek such a prosperous river delta for exactly the reason you spelled out. They'd want that territory for its own economic interest. There is also an argument one could make that they claimed the land but never fully utilized the land to its full potential, giving you, a now-independent country, the opportunity to seize the moment and put both feet upon the land and turn the former colony into a very rich country in no time, assuming there are no volcanoes underneath or plague of locust that were waiting for the imperialist country to leave.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's resources to extract, we wouldn't have a problem going. Hehe

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Limonaia said:

If there's resources to extract, we wouldn't have a problem going. Hehe

I suppose but even when colonization occurred, many colonial powers didn't have a full readout of the land's potential.

Now, if you didn't take that delta region, what would your recourse be? l have taken a look at the other options presented and if you didn't take the prosperous one, I'd recommend looking at the suggestions in Aurelia, but that would mean some climate changes and probably a change in population makeup diversity-wise. I really do think you have the best option on the table.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all are very convincing. I'll need to give this more thought. I'm happy to take input from anyone that's willing to give it, if anybody else is following this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Faramount said:

Y'all have got me convinced -- I'll do the river delta. I'd like to ask for a bit of a chance, though -- I'd like to have up to the Northwards fork in the river, so I can have another city there. Red would be my capital; brown major cities. How does this seem to you guys? I estimate (from google Earth) that I'd have a total area of ~160,000 square kilometers, putting me around the same size as Tunisia or the US State of Georgia.

jB7owvo.png

I think that's a wonderful idea and I am glad to see that you went ahead with the river delta options.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodnight @Faramount.

  • Factbook on IIWiki looks fine. http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Faramount
  • Newsroom. I see you created two agencies. That's alright.
  • Location. Now that's I've read up on all the above, including the location switches ;) , I agree with the last screenshot you posted in southeastern Alharu. That request would match up with your description.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear! 

I'd like one small change -- for now, no other cities besides the capital. And I'd like the capital to encompass both the red dot and the little brown dot next to it. I think, in terms of map size, that'll work out better, anyway. If possible, have the center be like right on the coast between the two rivers that end right next to each other.

Edited by Faramount
Change of request.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. So now that things are ironed out in terms of name of direction, I've a new map, which has labels for cities. If you would be so kind when making the next map update, I'd really appreciate it if in addition to adding in my nation, you'd add in these cities.

7zXwJaH.png

A. Port Jacqueline. This is the capital (red dot, if unclear).
B. Faraville. This is a port city. (Please do not place on map).
C. Orville. This is a normal city.
D. New Lyrie. This is a port city.
E. Zaleville. This is a normal city.

Edited by Faramount
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Tikva
      Nation in Europa: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=yesh_tikvah
      Flag: Available on NS.
      Capital name: Ayalon
      Capital location: Inland
      Other cities: Adora, Harel, Katzilya (on the coast)
      Factbook link: On iiWiki thanks to @Rihan: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Tikva
      Newsroom link:
      Culture: Jewish, varies from secular to ulta-orthodox
      Climate: Eastern Mediterranean, intentions to have some hot deserts in the south, essentially like Israel.
      Location History: Tikva was formally established in 1950, but Juddish people had been emigrating to the area since the 1890's due to persecution in several Argic states including @Aluxia.
      I look forward to a robust conversation on where I can put the country. My initial guess is that northern Alharu is the best option.
    • By Alenveil
      Nation in Europa: The Kingdom of Alenveil
      Flag:
      Capital name: Sarbo
      Capital location: Central-Eastern Alenveil

      Factbook link:
       
      Newsroom link:

      (The Red circle is the capital, yellow circles are dock cities, blue circles are major cities.)
      Sarbo is the capital. Ascorese, Alenzio, Chiolano, Savocino, and Legnamura are interchangeable.
      Culture: My culture is mostly based on RL Europe. Language is Limonaian.
      Climate: Climate is cold, almost frigid, in the central and northern areas, while the coastal temperatures are slightly warmer.
      Location: My location idea was on the northeast part of the Auraid bay of Argis, somewhat close to PyeMcGowan and Theodoria. This makes it a coastal country.
      History: Country has a clouded history, documented existence begins in the late 1400s onwards.
    • By PyeMcGowan
      Dear members of Europa, below are some small adjustments to my map placement. This includes two additional, very small, islands, and three new cities.
      the dot is Ferguson and the anchor Levernestad. And the green is the two new islands.

      now this one is less important and if it doent fit thats fine, but the yellow dot is Nova Marina
×