Naming the Seas

• 4 weeks later...

spacer.png

I was wondering about naming this sea/bay roughly delineated by the dashed lines as "Bight of the Marenai" / "Bight of Marenai" or "Marenai Bight" or even "Sea of the Marenai" or something similar. 

Bight is defined as a "curve or recess in a coastline.." and is used IRL in Australia, New Zealand, and Benin to name a few. 

@Kori Chi, in my language this would be pronounced Mārenaien lahti. 

13 hours ago, Roqoo said:

spacer.png

I was wondering about naming this sea/bay roughly delineated by the dashed lines as "Bight of the Marenai" / "Bight of Marenai" or "Marenai Bight" or even "Sea of the Marenai" or something similar. 

Bight is defined as a "curve or recess in a coastline.." and is used IRL in Australia, New Zealand, and Benin to name a few. 

@Kori Chi, in my language this would be pronounced Mārenaien lahti. 

What is the etymology of “Marenai”? Or it's just made up?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Aurivizh said:

Could this strait be named the Strait of Budoc on the map?

spacer.png

The area is too small to be named on the map and would be largely covered up by borders and other names. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Naming a sea/bay south of Dazhdinia

unknown.png

I would like to name this body of water "Green Sea" or a "Green Bay". I would personally prefer the name "Green Sea", considering that the area is closed off at three sides and may itself be considered a sea on its own, especially when it comes to tides and currents (thanks to the relatively secluded geography). The idea for the Green sea comes from the fact, that seaweed forms a notable number of local ecosystems, turning parts of the coast green (most famous is the Federal National Park "Razničniky" in Dazhdinia).

Alternative explanations may include, that the sea was from where most of the shipments of spices and other plants took place from Alharu.

OOC justifications may be, that I am really feeling the need for having some seas named after colors in Eurth (+ the situation in Dazhdinia could historically correspond to the situation around the Green Sea in ARMA games)

Edited by Walneria
seaweed (see edit history)
  • 10 months later...
On 5/19/2023 at 5:32 PM, Garindina said:

spacer.png

I would like to change the name of the Mediargic to the “Vtoroye Sea” (named by @Leszczawka)

Sorry, while your own country can certainly refer to it how it pleases, the Mediargic Sea has been named that way for a very very long time and is host to numerous nations which claim some of its water. The name Mediargic will remain on the map.

• 4 months later...

Since most in the area seemed to like the name Lotus Sea, let's finally give the unnamed gulf a name! Lotus Sea I think is a very fitting name because of the character of the region with it's East Asian themes and its cultural concepts of stuff like "serenity" and "peace".

spacer.png