Orioni

[OOC] Scramble for Antargis

You've done a good job starting this off.

I don't really have anything to contribute to the discussion of the first item, but I would like to voice my willingness in advance for becoming an impartial zone economic, scientific and legal manager. Since Girkmand does not have any stakes on Antargis, we could provide a platform for arbitration within the council should any conflicts of interest arise in the future.

I don't exactly have a party platform ready for this suggestion, but I would like to put this out there anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Methinks the 2nd Antargic meeting has concluded.

Topics of discussion were:

• a brief status update about the EOS icebreaker program;
  • we settled the Antargic territory into zone management; 
  • talks with the Aurelian League will start;
  • a first proposal for the next agenda in July.
  • Like 1

Thank you @Sunset Sea Islands. I used the absence as an opportunity to insert some uncertainty.

The EOS icebreakers also needed to be spotlighted. It is one required step before we can also establish an Antargic research station.

And, of course, the zone management. The Aurelians wanting a piece of the pie was to be expected. And I must admit, it makes the situation rather interesting. But I'm glad you agree with the final outcome. @Miiros and I had a private discussion about this. Whether or not we were going too far. In the end, we decided on sticking with our first proposal, and waiting for the inevitable pushback. Which, surprisingly, didn't come . But in your case, this doesn't really matter since you just joined EOS.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Think it's about time we got the ball rolling on this again. 

I'd be happy to host a 3rd conference in Prymont. There's been plenty of time for IC writing, of which there seems to be little outside of the TCSI's Simon Station. An important topic for discussion could be the Mercier research base of @Shffahkia and @Fulgistan. Furthermore we could touch on zone management, which I think ties in with the aforementioned Mercier facility nicely - in that, as far as I'm aware, only the TCSI and EOS have management claims in Antargis. Fulgistan is a member of the TCSI but has constructed a separate station. Perhaps a deal to share the facility could be made, since Shffahkia and Fulgistan don't have claims of their own in Antargis?

I also see that @Girkmand expressed an interest in neutrally managing the economic, scientific, and legal interests in Antargis. I'd like to bring that to discussion if the interest is still there?

Does anyone else have any further input they'd like to make, any suggestions for what the conference could consist of? Paging @Orioni, @Sunset Sea Islands, @Iverica@Miiros, and @The Eurofuhrer.

I'd like to get the conference started around early May, which gives us around two weeks to plan things through.

Edited by Prymont
  • Like 4

I know I wasn't a part of the original discussions for Antargis, but I was wondering if people would be ok with me jumping in on this? I had thinking about an idea of having a research station down there for some time but knew there was some treaty stuff that had existed before.

• Like 3

@Seylos I think it'd be justified for new countries to attend. I'd like to revisit zone management since nobody but O participated in the last thread, so there's room for your inclusion there. Plus, further signatories to the treaty are always welcome.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'll say that I'm not all that interested in continuing with Shffahkian involvement at all with Antargis and most likely will retcon the whole Mercier research base thingy on the basis that it hasn't really gone anywhere as initially planned. Also with the new Antargis, the placement of the base makes little sense.

My initial IC gripe with the treaty is that its prelude states that 

"The purpose of ARTHA is to allow the last untouched continent of Earth, Antargis, to remain free from harmful Human activities, devoid of Human ideologies, respected for its soil, conserved for its environment and brilliant for its future. All Signatories recognise the geographical integrity of the continent of Antargis and vow to respect it."

Yet it goes on to divide the continent which very much at the least is introducing human ideology into the continent. I also wanted to add a bit of regional interests into the mix as Aurelia and the Marenesias are the continents closest to Antargis, yet no nation from any of those continents was truly present in the talks nor were those continents addressed in any special manner. This also fell through as the Marenesia gang, also known as @Gallambria, @Salvia and @Batengdei Bulgenstaz, didn't show any interest. 

But overall I'll say that I am not interested in continuing my original personal pursuits in Antargis, rather I'll just have Shffahkia fall in line and be a normal signatory on the treaty. The base itself shouldn't be a problem as it was ever only announced. Sorry @Fulgistan

Edited by Shffahkia
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

@Shffahkia Thanks for your input. Definitely solves a problem with the Mercier station.

Regarding your issues with the wording of the treaty, please feel free to send a delegate who can mention this; alternatively, if you don't feel like participating, it can be brought up otherwise. I was hoping to look into the treaty once more before the conference starts to get a hold on anything like this and really refine it / bring it up to date.

Additionally, I wanted to really focus on the division of the land. While it benefits me to have the TCSI effectively control a large portion of Antargis, I think it'd be much fairer globally for more nations to have a vested interest in Antargis, and could also lead to more RP opportunities as each nation / collective / whatever focuses on their piece of land. One idea is to separate it by timezones, thus having 24 equal segments administered by 24 different countries. We could also look at just 12 if there's less active interest. But revisiting how the continent is managed is a priority, I think.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don’t remember ever refusing to participate in this, although it’s entirely possible I did and I just missed it.

However, I would be interested in establishing a station or being part of one now.

Edited by Salvia
  • Like 3

I'd be happy to establish a new research station in the spirit of Mercier alongside the rest of the ISTC, to study the Antargic wildlife and weather patterns in a region other than surrounding Simon Station.

• Like 3

I'd be interested in sending a delegate as well, although we'd probably have less lofty goals than the others.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Batengdei said:

Frankly as cool as the whole Antargis thing goes, I think I'll probably abstain. I'd rather put my emphasis on developing the region around Batengdei than sticking my thumbs into the Antargis pie, which would realistically be a logistical nightmare for my country. Also, given my current ongoing lapse of relative inactivity, now just isn't the time for me to take a dedicated role in any treaty.  If members of ICEB are interested in having an ICEB-specific treaty, then I would be willing to participate (lightly). Maybe I'll jump in on the fourth (?).

Marenesia gang member, signing off.

I think I might be in the same boat as Bat.

I mean, I'd like to. It'd suit both Tagmatium's sense of grandiosity and the pro-environmental policies, but I'm not sure I could commit to anything more than that. I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew.

• Like 4

IC thread here.

Writing arrivals is unnecessary unless you want to. Let's just dive straight into this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Prymont Correct. My reply will be up later today. I blame that hat bloody broken keyboard for holding me back. I'll update this post to include the link.

What exactly is the end-goal we want to achieve with this 3rd RP?

• OOC I'm open to re-dividing into 3 equal zones of 120° each.
  • IC there'll be some quid-pro-quo.

Edit. Phew. That took more time than I had thought. With phonecalls and neighbours interrupting every 30 minutes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Prymont said:

@Salvia @Gallambria @Fulgistan @Variota @Acadia

It's been two weeks since the starter post went up. I'll be pressing on with post #2 shortly.

I also believe @Orioni has been working on a response :D 

Apologies, totally escaped my mind.  I’ll work on a post this week and hopefully get it done soon.

• Like 1

@Orioni One of the biggest topics I want to discuss is the zone management. As I understand it, it's currently split into two between EOS & TCSI. Really I think that's quite unfair.

What would be fairer would be going with an idea discussed way back when of splitting the continent up into 24 equal zones, probably following the time zones. 12 could also work if there aren't enough nations signed onto the treaty to manage 24 individual zones. As much as it benefits Prymont for the TCSI to control a significant portion of the continent, overall it's far fairer to split it up equally between all signatories.

I'd also like to establish a permanent headquarters for the treaty - naturally, I think Prymont would be a fitting location but I'm open to suggestions from other attendees. 

I also have a bit of a bone to pick with EOS. On the forums they're described as the following:

The Entente of Oriental States (2006-present) is an international organisation and military alliance.

As per the treaty, particularly the prohibition of any military projects on the continent of Antargis, I believe that as described above, the EOS is breaching the treaty by definition. If you'd like to re-define the organisation then please do, but it'll be something else I'd like to bring up and discuss. The Trans-Continental Science Initiative, as per the name, is a scientific organisation with no military ties whatsoever. By my understanding, the same cannot be said for the EOS.

Finally, before any newcomers sign the treaty, I'd like to comb through it and make any changes needed based upon decisions made at the summit and work around any potential loopholes. Not that there are any, but I'm yet to thoroughly read through it so I'll have to sit down and do that before the end of the meeting.

To summarise:

• Reorganise zone management into fair, equal segments
  • Allocate a HQ for the treaty
  • Investigate EOS' involvement as a military alliance
  • Cover up any holes in the wording of the treaty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Prymont said:

What would be fairer would be going with an idea discussed way back when of splitting the continent up into 24 equal zones, probably following the time zones. 12 could also work if there aren't enough nations signed onto the treaty to manage 24 individual zones.

Fair enough. I hope we can involve @Shffahkia and @Fulgistan. I'm unsure if the Aurelian League of ICEB want to get involved as well.

Right now, seeing who could be involved, we're looking at 3 zones. I expect TCSI retains the area including Simon Station. Aurelians would likely look south of their own continent for an area to claim. (I presume, but it's up to them to voice this.) For EOS I guess the area south of Europa would make most sense. With SSI being a member of both TSCI and EOS that creates some overlapping responsibility.

For example: 360° divided into 3 equal 120° zones gives us something like this. Sticking to the longitudes is easiest, since they've already shown on the map. It somehow looks unfair to Aurelians, but that peninsula has Simon Station on it. I presume we'll end up deciding on something like this, with the vertical lines being a point of contention. (4 zones of 90° is easy to draw as well. 5 zones of 72° is a bit trickier. 6 zones of 60° is easy again.)

map-of-eurth-20200510-topo.png

:pic:Please ignore the areas that aren't Antargis.

The IC reluctance to redraw is just added drama. OOC I'd be perfectly fine to see anyone who's interesting join the Antargic snowball game. Gobbling up the majority of Antargis was supposed to create drama. But unfortunately it didn't. That was a major surprise.  I hadn't expected other TCSI player to just lie back and take it. Imho some more animosity between blocks would be nice. The situation IC is way too friendly.

2 hours ago, Prymont said:

As per the treaty, particularly the prohibition of any military projects on the continent of Antargis, I believe that as described above, the EOS is breaching the treaty by definition. If you'd like to re-define the organisation then please do, but it'll be something else I'd like to bring up and discuss. The Trans-Continental Science Initiative, as per the name, is a scientific organisation with no military ties whatsoever. By my understanding, the same cannot be said for the EOS.

Quite right. The EOS is built on two elements: economic alignment and military cooperation. That dual use was intentional. But neither of these elements would fit the ARTHA. It's an oversight that works to my IC advantage. Stressing that fact will be painful to resolve.

• Like 4

I really like the ongoing intrigue. @Prymont really had some great points, questioning the validity of EOS membership. That had me really trying to figure out a way out of it. The military aspect is certainly undeniable. But so far in RP, they only thing I did was build some icebreakers. No canons. No navy. No helicopter that actually work. I get the point we can't create military bases. But so far the EOS hasn't even set foot on Antargis. Just patrolling the Antargic coastal waters, for now.

Regarding the zone management I'm not sure where to take this. So I re-read the rules. I do believe you can't just partition the EOS zones and assign them without some drama. It's a nice poker card to hold. And while not actually doing much with it, only a fool would give that up without something in return. For example:

• All shipping to and from Antargis? (See we can sneak a peak, of course.)
  • Research findings from all research stations in the EOS zones? (All the benefits, without any of the costs.)
  • Something else that your nation is willing to trade for frozen bedrock? (Perhaps the ARTHA HQ, wink wink, and tap your conversations.)
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Orioni
      (OOC topic here)
      Prologue
      It had been over 12 months since the Antargic Treaty was signed. A historic moment for all nations and organisation taking part. Individual nations such as @Girkmand and Eurofuhrer. And international organisations such as ISTC and EOS. Notably absent from the discussion were ATARA and the newly formed Aurelian League.
      The original Antargic Regulation Treaty of Human Activities (ARTHA) established the ground-rules for operating on Antargis. The treaty included a clause of dividing the continent into spheres of influence. But the participants never discussed it where exactly those spheres would begin and end. That would become more clear now.

10:00h
      EOS Island HQ

Mrs Anna Hackney was still the EOS permanent representative from Orioni. Her fourth year on the job, actually. She had presided over the first meeting and would do so again now. That much was sure. Her working relationship with Sir Andrew Pipkin, the councillor of foreign affairs, was still good. And this year‘s elections would be a good moment for her promotion to a higher position. Depending of course on how well this conference would go.
      All signatories to the Antargic Treaty were invited. Mrs Hackney was glad to see them again. Some still looked tired from their long flight to southeastern Europa. But a good dose of morning coffee would surely reinvigorate their wits.
      “Ladies and gentlemen,” Anne opened, “Welcome to this second meeting of Antargic Council. The signing of our original Antargic Treaty in 2017 was a major milestone in many ways. Not only did it provide an opportunity for wide-scale international co-operation in physical sciences. Its Antargic activities provided encouragement for an international treaty setting the continent aside for peace and science.”
      “1st item on the agenda: research report. Since our first conclave, some first actions have already been undertaken. Two Antargic research stations were established. Slavia-1 was established by @The Eurofuhrer. And Simon station was built by the ISTC. We look forward to a scientific report from both stations on their experiments and findings.”
      "2nd item on the agenda: zone management. I would like to open up article 05 of the Antargic Treaty for discussion. This article includes:"
      05 - Zone Management
      The Antargis Continent shall be defined in 24 zones, each representing one timezone of Earth. Within these zones, a Nation, Organization or international cooperation shall be appointed Responsible for the environmental protection of the said zone and securisation from non-scientific or illegal activities, along with respecting the Venège Convention and basic human laws.
    • By The Eurofuhrer
      In a surprising move to many, Eurofuhrerian scientists are directing new scientific efforts at the colony of Antargis.
      Minister of Sciences, Natalia Shermadini, then took the podium
      This is the first unveiling of our eventual interfacing to reach the cold, harsh continent of Antargis. The benefits of this expedition are many.
      It is a better opportunity to study the effects of climate change due to greenhouse gases and the deterioration of the ozone layer. We can help make our world a much better place. It is an amazing opportunity to observe the biological specimens in Antargis and other surrounding pieces of land. Geological finds would be remarkable! A potential discovery of new minerals or even elements. As you can see, these are just some of the remarkable benefits we would receive.
      And now, the moment of truth, the vote. Eurofuhrerian Scientific Committee, Yay or Nay. "Yay" in a 99 to 1 vote to begin advancement into the new continent of Antargis.
      Early plans for shelter are enclosed:http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/wm/live...f1/p01df1sv.jpg
      The ship that will transport supplies will be the Nova Slavia
      Our estimated timetable for completion, approximately four years optimistically. Development will start immediately, but this is such a groundbreaking expedition on so many fronts that a lot of new infrastructures will have to be created.
      Our explorers and scientists will be the best in the Euroführer, so only experienced scientists with extensive qualifications may apply.
      Hereby establishes the Bureau for Antargic advancement
    • By Sunset Sea Islands
      Simon Station, King Tomasso Land, Antargis, January 14th, 2018, 09:30 Andallan Standard Time, -4.7°C
      Summer has started in Antargis. The land of the eternal ice is being flooded with diffuse light, the ice slowly retreats, penguin chicks hatch and cute little seal pups open their round eyes for the first time. Whales graze on the abundant masses of plankton and krill cumulating in the frigid waters. But this year, something is different about the southernmost continent. There is a building standing between dunes of snow amidst the freezing haze. It is the Simon Station, the ISTC's foothold on the frozen continent. The building looks almost like it's levitating as the stilts it is built upon are evanescently thin in comparison with the whole structure. The first inhabitants of the continent of Antargis have arrived; 45 scientists, doctors, technicians, engineers, programmers and cooks from the ISTC member states, @Prymont, @Fleur de Lys, @Magnaeus and the @Sunset Sea Islands .
      This is the story of those brave souls who defy the harsh elements of the frozen south in the furthest reaches of our world. What will they find, learn, what memories will they make, on which adventures will they go and what kind of friendships or even relationships will develop in and around Simon Station? What tasty treats will the Lysian cooks create for the crew? Will the mountaineering experience of the Prymontian and Magnaean members aid the pioneers in times of need? How the hell will the Sunset Sea Islandians live out their nudism way below the freezing point of water? This and more in...
      ANTARGIC ADVENTURES at SIMON STATION
      Bernard Hopeman opened his eyes. His phone woke him up with a song which used to be his favourite, but now, that he was waked by it for the millionth time, he began to like the song less and less. The unnatural light in his room was nothing new for him, he was used to it from his apartment and his lab. What he wasn't used to was the absence of Synapse-controlled surveillance infrastructure. It wasn't that he was happy to escape its all-seeing eyes for a while, he wasn't one of the few who actually felt oppressed. On the daily day-to-day basis, the benefits the citizens of the Sunset Sea Islands experienced from the Synapse System negated the disadvantages it created.
      Tomorrow would be his first real day of work on the Simon Sation, the first foothold of the ISTC on the continent of Antargis. He was mildly excited about this new adventure and was filled with anticipation to start working together with his colleagues. Bernards speciality were rays of all kinds, especially ionizing ones. He came to Antargis to study the isotopes contained in the rocks buried by kilometres of snow and ice. Within his plans was also the study of the Earth's magnetic field and the kinds and amounts of cosmic radiation Antargis received. Even though Bernard was happy to start working on his projects, it was a part of his life philosophy to leave tomorrow's work for tomorrow. In this spirit, Bernard took a shower, brushed his teeth, got dressed and left his flat to head for the community room to have breakfast with the other members of the expedition. Bernard always enjoyed working together with international partners, one more reason why he was glad to be a part of the first quadrilateral mission of the ISTC on the Antargic continent.