Orioni

[OOC] Scramble for Antargis

IC topic here: http://www.europans.com/topic/4364-the-antargic-treaty/

user posted image

Reasons

Three claims in 24 hours is perhaps a bit much, don't you think?

Topic of discussion

A good way to keep everyone happy and to keep activity up is organising a RP conference about an Antargic Treaty. Something to divvy up the terrority, while also leaving room for others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System Check RL for inspiration. http://www.ats.aq/e/ats.htm If possible I would like to safeguard some area for future claimants in Marenesia and Aurelia, the two continents which are closest.

Parties involved

People to invite (in order of appearance):

Takes the lead

If they are willing, I wish to leave this in the capable hands of the ISTC. Please take this opportunity to RP the negotiations. It will be much more interesting than just OOC. It can also reveal some nice IC drama for us to re-use later.

• Like 1

@Sunset Sea Islands: You know those words were just for postering. And I never called you a "puny lesser nation". It was more a general reference to "Antargic claims of some other, minor nations". wink.gif Not sure why you seem to self-identify with these words.

• Like 1

Also, if at all possible, I would like to have a simple poll up over at NationStates so we can consult the nation about how to go forward with this. Something easy to vote on. For example:

An Antargic Treaty is in order to define the use of Antargis. Which option do you support?

a. We should not explore Antargis

b. Minimal scientific research is ok

c. Nations can claim (part of) the Antargic as their own territory

d. Full economic exploitation: first come, first serve!

Let me know what you think of this poll. Anything to add here? I will put it up in a few days, and probably leave this open for the 7 days.

• Like 1

f) science the sh*t out of that continent

For the sake planning this treaty, it would be good to have a map of the claims of EOS, etc. I believe I sent Orioni a map of ISTC claims, but this is adjustable. The ISTC could go for one single chunk or we could vote against claiming altogether.

• Like 1

Does anyone want to lead this assembly or shall I make the first move? I don't want to impose.

• Like 1

Miiros will have someone at the conference. Will likely be our regular representative at EOS. Will write something up after work today, or Saturday morning.

After everyone has introduced their characters, can you, @Orioni, start the discussion?

Will do. For those who are reading this later, we will assume you are present (in person or per video), and can take the microphone when you have something to add. I forsee us RP'ing this for maybe 20-30 posts before coming to some sort of an agreement.

Good luck, have fun!

Are we still waiting for @Akiiryu and @Magnaeus or are we going on without them? I suppose they could always do something like "Suddenly, the representative of the Magnaean Confederation raised his arm. As a member of the Initiative Scientifique Trans-Continentale, his words were of importance for all of the attendees..."

People are responding, which is nice. I'll table a more detailed proposal with some general rules in my next update. We can nitpick the finer details IC.

@Orioniin your last post in the RP, you have mentioned "slices" of Antargis. @Fleur de Lyswhipped those up in his first draft of the treaty already. How do we explain that? We cannot just say that the ISTC whipped up a whole draft featuring the zones in the five minutes that have passed since Lydia Mauve spoke, can we?

@Sunset Sea Islands I had not yet read that Google Doc. I only had saved the one page offline, so I could write a reply. I will re-write my RP post a little bit so it makes more sense.

• Like 1

It feels like this RP is coming to a conclusion soon. How do we want to proceed? Should someone initiate a poll? I don't think Mrs Mauve has anything left to say about this. The vote of the Sunset Sea Islands would definitely be pro FDL's treaty right now.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Orioni
      (OOC topic here)
      Prologue
      It had been over 12 months since the Antargic Treaty was signed. A historic moment for all nations and organisation taking part. Individual nations such as @Girkmand and Eurofuhrer. And international organisations such as ISTC and EOS. Notably absent from the discussion were ATARA and the newly formed Aurelian League.
      The original Antargic Regulation Treaty of Human Activities (ARTHA) established the ground-rules for operating on Antargis. The treaty included a clause of dividing the continent into spheres of influence. But the participants never discussed it where exactly those spheres would begin and end. That would become more clear now.

10:00h
      EOS Island HQ

Mrs Anna Hackney was still the EOS permanent representative from Orioni. Her fourth year on the job, actually. She had presided over the first meeting and would do so again now. That much was sure. Her working relationship with Sir Andrew Pipkin, the councillor of foreign affairs, was still good. And this year‘s elections would be a good moment for her promotion to a higher position. Depending of course on how well this conference would go.
      All signatories to the Antargic Treaty were invited. Mrs Hackney was glad to see them again. Some still looked tired from their long flight to southeastern Europa. But a good dose of morning coffee would surely reinvigorate their wits.
      “Ladies and gentlemen,” Anne opened, “Welcome to this second meeting of Antargic Council. The signing of our original Antargic Treaty in 2017 was a major milestone in many ways. Not only did it provide an opportunity for wide-scale international co-operation in physical sciences. Its Antargic activities provided encouragement for an international treaty setting the continent aside for peace and science.”
      “1st item on the agenda: research report. Since our first conclave, some first actions have already been undertaken. Two Antargic research stations were established. Slavia-1 was established by @The Eurofuhrer. And Simon station was built by the ISTC. We look forward to a scientific report from both stations on their experiments and findings.”
      "2nd item on the agenda: zone management. I would like to open up article 05 of the Antargic Treaty for discussion. This article includes:"
      05 - Zone Management
      The Antargis Continent shall be defined in 24 zones, each representing one timezone of Earth. Within these zones, a Nation, Organization or international cooperation shall be appointed Responsible for the environmental protection of the said zone and securisation from non-scientific or illegal activities, along with respecting the Venège Convention and basic human laws.
    • By The Eurofuhrer
      In a surprising move to many, Eurofuhrerian scientists are directing new scientific efforts at the colony of Antargis.
      Minister of Sciences, Natalia Shermadini, then took the podium
      This is the first unveiling of our eventual interfacing to reach the cold, harsh continent of Antargis. The benefits of this expedition are many.
      It is a better opportunity to study the effects of climate change due to greenhouse gases and the deterioration of the ozone layer. We can help make our world a much better place. It is an amazing opportunity to observe the biological specimens in Antargis and other surrounding pieces of land. Geological finds would be remarkable! A potential discovery of new minerals or even elements. As you can see, these are just some of the remarkable benefits we would receive.
      And now, the moment of truth, the vote. Eurofuhrerian Scientific Committee, Yay or Nay. "Yay" in a 99 to 1 vote to begin advancement into the new continent of Antargis.
      Early plans for shelter are enclosed:http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/wm/live...f1/p01df1sv.jpg
      The ship that will transport supplies will be the Nova Slavia
      Our estimated timetable for completion, approximately four years optimistically. Development will start immediately, but this is such a groundbreaking expedition on so many fronts that a lot of new infrastructures will have to be created.
      Our explorers and scientists will be the best in the Euroführer, so only experienced scientists with extensive qualifications may apply.
      Hereby establishes the Bureau for Antargic advancement
    • By Sunset Sea Islands
      Simon Station, King Tomasso Land, Antargis, January 14th, 2018, 09:30 Andallan Standard Time, -4.7°C
      Summer has started in Antargis. The land of the eternal ice is being flooded with diffuse light, the ice slowly retreats, penguin chicks hatch and cute little seal pups open their round eyes for the first time. Whales graze on the abundant masses of plankton and krill cumulating in the frigid waters. But this year, something is different about the southernmost continent. There is a building standing between dunes of snow amidst the freezing haze. It is the Simon Station, the ISTC's foothold on the frozen continent. The building looks almost like it's levitating as the stilts it is built upon are evanescently thin in comparison with the whole structure. The first inhabitants of the continent of Antargis have arrived; 45 scientists, doctors, technicians, engineers, programmers and cooks from the ISTC member states, @Prymont, @Fleur de Lys, @Magnaeus and the @Sunset Sea Islands .
      This is the story of those brave souls who defy the harsh elements of the frozen south in the furthest reaches of our world. What will they find, learn, what memories will they make, on which adventures will they go and what kind of friendships or even relationships will develop in and around Simon Station? What tasty treats will the Lysian cooks create for the crew? Will the mountaineering experience of the Prymontian and Magnaean members aid the pioneers in times of need? How the hell will the Sunset Sea Islandians live out their nudism way below the freezing point of water? This and more in...
      ANTARGIC ADVENTURES at SIMON STATION
      Bernard Hopeman opened his eyes. His phone woke him up with a song which used to be his favourite, but now, that he was waked by it for the millionth time, he began to like the song less and less. The unnatural light in his room was nothing new for him, he was used to it from his apartment and his lab. What he wasn't used to was the absence of Synapse-controlled surveillance infrastructure. It wasn't that he was happy to escape its all-seeing eyes for a while, he wasn't one of the few who actually felt oppressed. On the daily day-to-day basis, the benefits the citizens of the Sunset Sea Islands experienced from the Synapse System negated the disadvantages it created.
      Tomorrow would be his first real day of work on the Simon Sation, the first foothold of the ISTC on the continent of Antargis. He was mildly excited about this new adventure and was filled with anticipation to start working together with his colleagues. Bernards speciality were rays of all kinds, especially ionizing ones. He came to Antargis to study the isotopes contained in the rocks buried by kilometres of snow and ice. Within his plans was also the study of the Earth's magnetic field and the kinds and amounts of cosmic radiation Antargis received. Even though Bernard was happy to start working on his projects, it was a part of his life philosophy to leave tomorrow's work for tomorrow. In this spirit, Bernard took a shower, brushed his teeth, got dressed and left his flat to head for the community room to have breakfast with the other members of the expedition. Bernard always enjoyed working together with international partners, one more reason why he was glad to be a part of the first quadrilateral mission of the ISTC on the Antargic continent.