Sign in to follow this  
Andalla

Andallan Broadcasting Network

The Andallan Broadcasting Network, branded as Commonwealth TV or CTV, is the largest commercial broadcast television and radio network in Andalla. It is owned by the Sudholm Media Corporation, one of the largest Andallan media conglomerates. Its is headquartered in the Sudholm Broadcasting Tower along Peter Kjærgaard Boulevard in Enshavn, while its primary transmitter is located on the peak of Mt. Skarsnåle. The ABN is best-known for its nationwide evening news program, Andalla Today, and its noontime variety program, Middandska.

Its flagship television channel is DSEA-TV (Commonwealth TV Andalla), broadcasting from Mt. Skarsnåle and supported by several relay stations located across the archipelago. The Commonwealth also has 6 regional stations, supported by 42 relay stations nationwide. CTV Andalla is also available internationally as Udlandet Andska TV, based in Porto Libertad in the @Sunset Sea Islands, with major offices located in countries with a significant Andallan diaspora, such as @Iverica, @Orioni, @Prymont, @Variota, the @The Eurofuhrer and @Afropa.

Andalla Today also maintains a news website, AT Online, and is currently the most-read news website in Andalla. It also owns several FM and AM radio stations, specifically TraktFM, Ønskar 102.4, and Radio Andska 630.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 2

NAVY TO SEND RELIEF GOODS TO VICTIMS OF TYPHOON ALETTA

user posted image

:pic: The SFS Birkeby underway to Kualoa.

Earlier, the SFS Lillund, SFS Birkeby and the SFS Karlsborg departed Holtrup, each carrying around 500 tons of relief supplies for the victims of Typhoon Aletta. The Karlsborg and the Birkeby carried an additional 300 tons of construction materials each, while the Lillund brought a few dozen light trucks to aid with the relief operations. All three vessels embarked a team of over a hundred Marines, engineers and volunteers.

Aletta made landfall on Rotuma Island in Kualoa two days ago, and has been battering the area since it made landfall. President Johansen said that he and the Andallan people are "praying for the victims of Typhoon Aletta".

Meanwhile, another typhoon hit the city of Andro in Orioni. Typhoon Notai, the worst experienced by the city in 5 years, made landfall a week ago and has since then moved on to the Bainbridge Islands. Windspeeds were reported to have reached up to 190km/h, ravaging nearly 20km of coastline and causing the cancellation of over 400 flights in the area. As of now, clearing operations are well underway.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1

BULK CARRIER HIT BY ROGUE WAVE; CAPSIZES

p1c598t0b05a91jl71bdg11nh1eps9.jpg

:pic: The M/V Kirsten Møller departing Holtrup.

Yesterday, the bulk carrier M/V Kirsten Møller sank in the Sea of Andalla.

28 crew members from 5 nationalities were aboard: 18 from Andalla, 6 from the Sunset Sea Islands, 3 from Cashar, and 1 from Kualoa.

The 294-meter-long, 45-meter-wide vessel, with a capacity of 180,043 deadweight tons, was hit and capsized by a rogue wave yesterday.

The Kirsten Møller was enroute to Porto Libertad from Brumundvik when she lost contact with ships nearby.

A Sunset Sea Islandian cargo vessel, the M/V Star Oceans, was 83.1 nautical miles (154 kilometers) away when her radar lost contact with the bulk carrier. Her captain, Akagi Masazumi, immediately set out to investigate the mysterious disappearance. Upon reaching the area a few hours later, the Kirsten Møller had disappeared.

5 survivors were picked up from the water: 2 Andallans, 3 Sunset Sea Islandians, and 1 Kualoan. All but Ariki Tepau, a Kualoan, had managed to launch the ship's freefall lifeboat. Tepau, who was on the bow at the time of the sinking, managed to climb on a floating plank of wood and made is way towards the lifeboat. The remaining crew members, unfortunately, did not manage to escape the sinking vessel in time.

According to Olov Strøm, one of the two Andallans who survived, the Kirsten Møller was hit on the starboard side by a 100-foot rogue wave causing the cargo to shift and eventually knock her off-balance.

The Coast Guard has deployed several vessels to the area to find the remains of the vessel.

According to the Kirsten Møller's operator, Sunstar Shipping, the Kirsten Møller was in good condition at the time of departure from Holtrup. She is fairly new, completed July 2013. The sinking was the largest maritime disaster affecting the company.

President Johansen and Sunstar CEO Arnold Hagtvedt expressed their deepest condolences to the families of the victims. Hagtvedt also stated that the company would be paying Å50,000 to each of the families affected.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1

ANDALLA REJOICES OVER RETURN OF VLA CAPTIVE

1200px-2010-07-21_G550_NetJets_CS-DKE_ED

:pic: The ACAF C-36 carrying freed VLA captive Johan Gustafsson, on final approach to Hallstrom AFB.

On September 26, the entire nation rejoiced as Johan Gustafsson, 42, returned to Andalla.

It was July 2011 when he departed the country for Dieudonné, @Afropa to embark on a motorcycle journey across the diverse landscapes of the Europan nation. 24 hours after he arrived in Dieudonné, he was held at gunpoint near his hotel and taken as hostage for the Violetist Liberation Army.

He was personally welcomed on the runway of Hallstrom AFB by President Klaus Johansen himself, alongside the Cabinet and other high-ranking government officials.

Vice President Erik Paulsson, on the other hand, accompanied Gustafsson on the flight from Dieudonné to O'polis to Liberty Island Airport and finally to Hallstrom AFB.

"I felt like a hero yet I am ashamed of doing very little for my country," said a humbled Gustafsson in an interview. "But I am thankful that my fellow Andallan brothers and sisters rejoice for even one lost sheep."

"Your release was the result of 6 years of diplomatic effort," said Foreign Minister Alexander Bendtsen in a short conversation with Gustafsson. "The Commonwealth rejoices for your release."

However, President Johansen also expressed his fears. "Things like these will happen again, but I am sure that the Andallan people shall work in full unity against it," he said.

In a statement released yesterday, Foreign Minister Bendtsen emphasized recent plans to improve diplomatic relations with Afropa in order to cooperate against the VLA.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 4

OOC: This is just a test for the mobile forum. Looking good! Typing is still quite slow, though, but I can live with it. Nice work, Orioni!

• Like 3

UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT COLLIDES WITH SMALL AIRCRAFT

Cessna421B-Landing.jpg

:pic: An L-30 similar to the one that collided with the unknown aircraft.

A Skandinavisk L-30 collided with an unknown aircraft above the skies of Sundby, Graesøy in the late afternoon of September 29.

"It's usual to see small aircraft flying over my field," said Sven Lundholm, 51, who was working in his rice field at the time of the collision. "It was a cloudy day, and the plane was flying low to avoid the clouds. Suddenly, a black object of around the same size appeared out of the clouds above the plane and deliberately collided into it, causing a large explosion."

Lundholm also stated that it happened too fast to make out what shape the aircraft was, how fast it was travelling, or how it looked like.

The unfortunate L-30 was being piloted by Oscar Hallstrom, 38, and was last recorded taking off from Sundby's town airstrip heading south-west towards the nearby town of Lillestrom.

Speculators and conspiracy theorists have created a couple of popular theories for the incident. One such theory is that an enemy nation actually fired a secret long-range surface-to-air missile at the aircraft. However, it has been debunked due to the fact that there is no known surface-to-air missile with such long range, and that Andalla has no enemies.

The Andallan Commonwealth Air Force and the Andallan Civil Air Safety Administration (ACASA) are currently conducting investigations in the area regarding the incident.

The collision was the 16th major incident regarding the L-30, Skandinavisk's second most widely-produced aircraft next to the L-20 "Lille Fugl".

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 3

BUSINESS ICON BENJAMIN ÅKERLUND DIES AT 96

001382471.jpg

:pic: Åkerlund's personal SK-4-100, nicknamed the "Flying Schoolbus", at Thorbjørn Povlsen Møllerup International Airport in 2015.

Famed businessman and philantrophist Benjamin Åkerlund was aboard his privately-owned SK-4, heading to the @Sunset Sea Islands when he passed away in his sleep on the night of October 14.

The actual time of his death was unknown. His 49-year-old son Bjarke, was seated across him when his phone rang. However, he did not wake up as usual to answer the call. After several attempts to wake him up, preparations were made to have him rushed to the hospital upon landing.

Åkerlund was pronounced dead-on-arrival. After the autopsy, it was confirmed that Åkerlund had died a peaceful and painless death when his heart suddenly stopped around 40 minutes away from the airport.

President Klaus Johansen, accompanied by several businessmen and his bodyguards, was standing on the ramp of Ivan Petersen International Airport to receive his corpse, which was carefully-preserved in an air-conditioned box as no casket was available.

"He was a mentor, a good man, one who loved his country. But most of all, he was my friend," said Ernst Borstad, CEO of Borstad Holdings and closest friend of Åkerlund.

"I, and the Andallan people, all mourn the loss of Benjamin Åkerlund. Andalla will never forget his contributions to our society," said President Johansen, Åkerlund's classmate in elementary.

"When I heard the news, it felt like my heart became empty. Ben will always have a spot in my heart and, I believe, in others' as well. He was a dedicated man and he never settled for anything less than excellence," said Ingrid Åkerlund, his wife.

Aside from founding and co-founding numerous companies and organizations, including professional services firm AAA, he spearheaded numerous philanthropic efforts. He is best-known for his efforts in improving the quality of education in Andalla. His private jet, dubbed the "Flying Schoolbus", got its nickname from being used constantly to deliver free educational supplies and materials to schools and towns across Andalla. In late 2006, Åkerlund had nearly half of his jet converted to a cargo hold to allow for more materials to be delivered in one flight.

His philanthropic efforts will continue under the leadership of his eldest son, Kristoffer Åkerlund. "If he could come back as a voice guiding us, I'm very sure he'd tell us to continue his effort to continually elevate the standard of living in the less unfortunate places of Andalla."

AAA has yet to release details on the memorial service, but said in a statement that Åkerlund would've surely wished for his funeral to be "kept simple".

As was said in his will, all his money would be donated to other philanthropic organizations.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 2

PRESIDENT JOHANSEN CONGRATULATES DINA DIVA

OOC: For anyone curious, "praeskt" is a portmanteau/contraction of Praesidentens Kontor, which means Office of the President. Also, "kt" is Andallan slang for office.

klausvideo.jpg

:pic: President Johansen congratulating the new Foorste Frauwe fan'es Ferantwortelik fan'es Folke, Dina Diva.

President Johansen uploaded a video of his wishes to @Variota regarding the results of the election to the official Presidential website, praeskt.gov.al earlier, before boarding the Presidential jet for his state visit to Ferrefaaierhafen.

"First off, I would like to begin by congratulating Dina Diva on her winning the Fur-s-ste F-f-fraway fan-es Ferant-wort-lik fan-es Folks," he said. "My apologies for not pronouncing it correctly, I have been practicing hard." He smiled then chuckled a bit.

"To the other candidates, do not lose heart. Just because you have merely lost an election does not mean you can no longer make a difference in the everyday lives of the Variotan people. I wish you all well."

"As for the new Fur-s-ste F-f-fraway fan-es Ferant-wort-lik fan-es Folks," he chuckled again. "I congratulate you again. May you guide lead the Variotan nation well. I must also remind you that leading a nation is very hard. Many responsibilities rest on your shoulders now. A heavy yoke lies before you. So I say, take it up, and lead the Variotan nation to the best of your ability. "

Several minutes later, what was known as just another SK-7-100ER on the runway of Hallstrom AFB became known as Andska One.

The non-stop flight to Variota's capital aboard Andska One is expected to take approximately 11 hours.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

KIRSTEN MØLLER FOUND BY NAVY SHIP

OOC: Yay! First news post after nearly a month! The computer's alive again! :D

800px-BRP_Juan_Magluyan_PG-392.jpg

:pic: The SFS Åsmund Skramstad, a Thorbjørn Søgaard-Class Fast Attack Craft of the ACN.

On September 8, the bulk carrier M/V Kirsten Møller sank in a freak accident. Two months later, her remains were found below the waves by ACN vessel Åsmund Skramstad.

The Åsmund Skramstad was one of 4 small vessels deployed by the ACN to aid the Coast Guard in its search for the wreck of the ill-fated vessel. Due to her short endurance, she made numerous return trips to Andallan naval stations to refuel, then set out again in hopes of finding the Kirsten Møller.

On the night of November 15, at 2109 hrs, radar operator Börje Laggerfelt was looking at the vessel's sonar readings when he spotted what looked like the outline of a large vessel.

He produced several sonar images of the wreck, then the ship returned to Naval Station Holger Andreasen in Sighammar for further processing. With help from Sunstar documents, it was confirmed that the wreck spotted by Laggerfelt was that of the Kirsten Møller.

With Sunstar losing the trust of numerous companies after the incident, CEO Arnold Hagtvedt has made it clear that Sunstar has no current plans to recover the vessel.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

AT ONLINE SPECIAL: THE LIGHTS OF ARKHAVN

Every year, the entire nation kicks off the "world's longest Christmas season" in early October, poised to last until late January. This months-long celebration, known locally as Jul, is a time for Andalla to showcase its culture, craftsmanship and cheer. This Holidays, our team from AT Online has gathered several photos showcasing the beauty of the Andallan Jul season.

IMG_1329.jpg

With its vast display of colorful lights, Antonsen Avenue becomes a centerpiece of Arkhavn during the Christmas season. The scene in the picture depicts the baby Jesus lying in the manger, with Mary and Joseph beside it.

1024px-Ayala_Triangle_Light_Show.jpg

Another well-known Christmas tourist spot along Antonsen Avenue is the Antonsen Triangle Gardens. With its vibrant light shows accompanied by upbeat Christmas music, the Antonsen Triangle Gardens attract thousands of tourists every Christmas season. The shows run daily from November 1 to January 31, beginning at 6PM and lasting for roughly 30 minutes

manila-hotel-9.jpg

Decorations at the iconic lobby of the Arkhavn Grand Hotel. On December 8, several of the lights in the chandeliers and around the lobby will be replaced with red and green LEDs. Many of Arkhavn's major hotels including the "Big Three" are nearly fully-booked for December 25.

Christmas-capital.jpg

A giant Jultjerne hanging along the road in Trøjvange. A signature mark of the Andallan Christmas season, these colorful lanterns have been around for well over a hundred years, first appearing in the early 19th century. Today, Jultjernes come in all shapes and sizes, with materials ranging from the traditional bamboo and Kipanese paper to glass, leaves, metal and even plastic straws.

OOC: By the way, these are all pictures from the Philippines :D

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 4

OOC ANNOUNCEMENT

Due to my inactivity, I wasn't able to post regarding Julen. I also have too little time to start reporting on New Year, so I'll trash that altogether. The Christmas season is just really busy and hectic...

My apologies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

[ REDACTED ]

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

[ REDACTED ]

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1

NAVY DEPLOYS 2 SHIPS TO GALLAMBRIA AFTER EARTHQUAKE

17902858_1326382370770739_1671886929_o.j

:pic: The SFS Holmskjer underway, with the Arkhavn skyline in the background.

After a Magnitude 6.7 earthquake struck the city of Walmington-on-Sea in @Gallambria, the SFS Kongested and her sister ship the SFS Holmsker have been sent to the scene. It is also serves as a practice deployment for the crew of the SFS Holmskjer, which was commissioned last July 27. Both ships departed Holtrup carrying a total of 700 tons of relief goods and construction materials, 600 Marines, 6 Havfugle helicopters and several trucks.

According to the Navy Chief of Staff Adm. Alexander Børge, it is an act of goodwill and friendship with the Kingdom of Gallambria. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is constantly "striving to improve and ensure healthy Andalla-Gallambria relations".

• Like 1
  • Love 1

JOHANSEN CONFIRMS TRI-CONTINENTAL DEFENSE TREATY

Senator-Alan-Peter-Cayetano_CNNPH.png

In a press conference earlier, President Klaus Johansen confirmed Andalla's intention to be a signatory to an upcoming treaty regarding the defense of several tri-continental nations including @Iverica, @Prymont and @Variota.

"I was warned not to disclose too much information regarding this treaty or else SO/AR agents would swoop down and cover me in duct tape," he said, preceding a light chuckle from the reporters in the conference. "I can only assure you that such a treaty exists. Andalla is planning to increase defense cooperation with its neighbors."

"Yes, it is true that we have sent a delegate to the said meeting. Right now there is an Andallan government plane flying over hostile skies with a high chance of being shot down," he continued as he pointed up. "After that I don't know whether or not this government will be overthrown."

After being asked whether or not taxes would increase should Andalla participate in military development programs, he replied: 

"Andalla has a long history of military cooperation with the nations involved. I believe the previous generation has asked the same question, and yet our economy has been improving over the years... Hey, I just read an article about the increase in the percentage of Andallans who could afford the kPhone 7."

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

AT SPECIAL: AHRANAIAN RESEARCHERS DISCOVER ANCIENT SJÅDSKA CAPITAL

By: Ingvald Melberg | February 26, 2018

beng-mealea-angkor-cambodia-7.jpg

:pic: One of the many buildings and structures in Yfjölav that have been since occupied by tree roots.

MOSKOVO - After a 21-year joint effort between Andalla and @Ahrana, Yfjölav, the ancient capital of the Sjådska people, has been found by a team of Ahranaian researchers.

In 1997, the Andallan Wilderness Institute (AWI), under the Ministry of Science and Technology, began working with the Ahranaian Sub-Ministry of Land and Geography to achieve the impossible: to locate the remains of Yfjölav, the capital of the Sjådska people, of which the Andallans and Ahranaians are descended from.

In May of 1998 the very first Andallan team was sent to Ahrana to join Ahranaian scientists in the search. The search was cancelled after turning up with no results. Several expeditions followed until the tragic November 2003 expedition resulting in the loss of 36 Andallan and Ahranaian researchers and the subsequent halting of the search effort.

6 years later, in 2009, another group of Ahranaian researchers were sent out into the wilderness and returned empty-handed. In 2011, the Ministry of Science and Technology made the decision to continue the search after nearly 8 years. Several more expeditions followed until government funding was ultimately cut in 2016. From then on, the Holtrup Wilderness Research and Surveying Institute (HOWRESI) would continue the search with its own funding and the help of the Sub-Ministry of Land and Geography.

On February 7, a team of 12 researchers from HOWRESI were sent to Moskovo to meet with the team being prepared by the Sub-Ministry of Land and Geography, bringing the total number of researchers participating in the January 2018 expedition to 41. The team would be divided into 12 smaller teams of 3 to 4 researchers, accompanied by a helicopter per 4 teams.

On February 19, a team of 4 researchers led by Nikolay Mikhail, an Ahranaian historian, came across what seemed to be a ruined town square. After further investigation, they concluded that their discovery was just one of the many small ancient towns dotting the area. However, as they flew over the town in a helicopter the next day, they discovered that it was part of something larger. Several more teams from the expedition were called to the area, and even more ruins were discovered. The theory that their discovery could be Yfjölav continued to prove itself as more buildings were being discovered. The search culminated in the discovery of Mustjärni Haemöns, the Temple of Heaven, a structure commonly referred to in ancient works as the center of Yfjölav.

Once the discovery was confirmed, word was sent back to the Sub-Ministry of Land and Geography. After taking samples of bricks and stones in the area for carbon dating, the team returned to Ahrana 3 days later amid a large celebration. Following a public announcement by the Sub-Ministry of Land and Geography regarding the discovery, the Ahraianan People's Palace released several photos of Yfjölav taken by researchers.

Due to the sudden renewed interest in the search, the Ministry of Science and Technology approved funding to the project again. Another team of researchers is scheduled to depart on February 28 to gather information on the new discovery. The Andallan Wilderness Institute is currently reviewing plans to set up a small base for research in the area by May, coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the very first team of Andallan researchers sent to Ahrana.

"Two decades ago, we began the long and hard search," said President Johansen in a speech before the Andallan Wilderness Institute. "Hundreds of Andallans and Ahraianans risked their lives in hopes of finding the truth, the birthplace of our peoples. There were brave men who lost their life in search of life's origin. And now, the combined effort of two peoples, the sacrifices of hundreds, and even the loss of many, stand before us today like an open book. And we, the Andallan and Ahraianan people, are going to read it."

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

MA HOLBERG: "I TOLD YOU SO"

By: Aleksander Rodberg | March 11, 2018

hontiveros.jpg

ARKHAVN - A staunch critic of socialism, MA Sylvia Holberg has once again denounced the government-issued reports of @Poland-Lithuania.

Last Friday, state-owned national news provider The Commonwealth Times released a report on the capture of several high-ranking officials of the "Ironfists", an insurgent group fighting against the Polish-Lithuanian government.

"Now, I am not trying to imply that the report was bad news. Anyway, it's about time the Polish-Lithuanians got around to suppressing these insurgents, given that they don't want to listen to their cause," she said in an interview. "Last month, a report by the same news provider, the Commonwealth Times, claimed that all the Ironfists' members were arrested. And now you're going to tell me that there are still some insurgents out there? I'm confused."

MA Holberg, on several occasions, declared the Commonwealth Times to be "corrupt, Socialist propaganda". Many disapprove of her comments against Poland-Lithuania and @Ahrana, but many argue that her points are credible, true and make sense.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

OOC: @Poland-Lithuania, let the newspost-linking war begin! :2thumbs:

OOC 2: I've changed "Commonwealth Online" to "AT Online", which means "Andalla Today Online". Figured out it sounds weird when the website uses the networks name instead of the specific news program's name. The situation got even weirder when "The Commonwealth Online" went against "The Commonwealth Times". Weird, no?

OOC 3: How to Get Another Nation to Advertise Your News Network and Vice Versa, Without Doing Anything.

OOC 4: PL, I don't have any intention to be mean by criticizing your newsposts, I'm just playing along with the anti-communists in Andalla.

ANDALLA TODAY, AT ONLINE REPORTS "UNFAIR"

By: Margrethe Myren | March 12, 2018

ARKHAVN - Yesterday, AT Online released an article on MA Sylvia Holberg's comments against Polish-Lithuanian national news provider, The Commonwealth Times. The story appeared later that evening on Andalla Today. Several hours later, the Commonwealth Times released an article labelling Andalla Today and AT Online as "unfair".

The report by The Commonwealth Times also provided information going against MA Holberg's arguments, saying that the King only ordered the capture of another insurgent group affiliated with the "Ironfists".

"In accordance with Section I of the Andallan Press Association's Code of Ethics for Journalists, the article was merely stating facts; the truth. We made sure that the report itself contained no bias towards or against The Commonwealth Times," said ABN Public Relations Officer Albin Lindelöf. "The article noted that there were people who disagreed, nor did it express any sign of favor or disapproval to MA Holberg's argument. We're just doing our job." Lindelöf later admitted that he did not exactly understand the Commonwealth Times' report.

MA Holberg has not yet publicly released her views on the current issue.

Edited by Andalla
  • Like 4

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Andalla
      Skandinavisk Aircraft Manufacturing, officially Skandinavisk Flygproducent A/S, is an Andallan aerospace company that designs, manufactures and sells both civilian and military aircraft. Skandinavisk is the largest aerospace company in Andalla and Thalassa by revenue, employees and size. The company employs 62,773 people in Andalla and Giokto, making it the single largest employer locally. At the end of FY 2017, a total of 91,359 people were employed worldwide. Skandinavisk aircraft are delivered to customers across the world, with major final assembly plants located in Andalla, @Orioni and @Limonaia. The company's international headquarters are located in the Skandinavisk Global Tower along Antonsen Avenue in downtown Arkhavn, with regional head offices in Nordhaven (Orioni), Toledo (Iverica), Limone (Limonaia) and Feerefaaierhafen (Variota).
      The company was founded on 2 September 1907 by Markus Olstad, along with the same group of engineers who built the first successful Andallan powered aircraft — the Olstad Flyer. Wilbert Vernesen, the first Andallan pilot on a powered aircraft, served as the company's chief pilot and trained several more to become the very first Andallan pilots. The first Skandinavisk-built aircraft was the Model 1, a small experimental biplane based off the Olstad Flyer. The company soon began producing general-purpose biplanes, the most popular of which were the "P-series" mailplanes. In the early 1920s, the company began to venture into larger commercial aircraft. Throughout the 1930s, focus was gradually shifted from general-purpose aircraft to the much larger airliners. Skandinavisk competed very closely with Saeb, the latter of which ventured into flying boats to address the needs of the archipelago. However, as the popularity of flying boats began to diminish, Saeb ultimately lost its foothold in the large airliner market. Meanwhile, Skandinavisk had introduced the very successful "SK-series" airliners, cementing its position at the top of the Thalassan aerospace industry. The company entered the jet age after Saeb was forced to sell its jet fighter project due to the rapidly-falling demand for military equipment after the Thalassan War. Soon later, Skandinavisk entered the commercial jet age with the classic SK-3. It was at this time that Skandinavisk began to grow rapidly, producing several more jet airliners, all of which were successful. In the early 1980s, Skandinavisk formed a joint venture with Khiimori Aeronautics of @Fulgistan and the Aishkuraend Rheilhhu Rihana of @Rihan to develop and manufacture the SK-6. The SK-6 project was only beginning design studies at that time, and the newly-formed KAS Aerospace took over development. Along with KAS Aerospace, Skandinavisk remains one of the world's largest and most prominent civil aviation manufacturers.
      Skandinavisk Aircraft Manufacturing is subdivided into 5 major divisions:
      Skandinavisk Global, primary manufacturer of SK-series airliners; based in Finkenveder, with a second final assembly plant in Tailam, Giokto. Skandinavisk Europa, manufactures general-purpose aircraft; based in Nordhaven, Orioni. Skandinavisk Argis, manufacturer of SK-series airliners; based in Limone, Limonaia. Skandinavisk Thalassa, manufactures general-purpose aircraft; based in Vindkilde. Skandinavisk Defense, military division of Skandinavisk; based in Klarsby.
    • By Andalla
      The calendar read 5 July 1948, Monday. It had been a year since the Thalassan War had ended, when the Gioktons had surrendered and the @Sunset Sea Islands liberated from its oppressive leadership. It was a bloody war that saw the deaths of millions — military and civilian alike. It was not unusual that the Commonwealth had not yet recovered; yet despite this, the economy was, as a matter of fact, growing. People were looking for new ideas. And where else could they find new ideas other than Europa, the political, ideological, cultural, economical and technological center of the world? The opportunities were very promising. Yet despite all the possibilities, though, Europa was undeniably far — a trip across to Europa by sea could take up to three weeks, and in an increasingly competitive and fast-paced world, time was of the essence. People had to get there quicker, cheaper, and more efficiently.
      A few years back, while Thalassa was still caught within the tight grip of the menace it had created itself, the Skandinavisk SK-4 had begun production. At that time, Andalla was too preoccupied to even take notice its new creation, the same creation that would soon carry thousands of passengers across Argis and Europa each week — all in the name of Andalla. The SK-4 was a ground-based aircraft, which at the time was not as attractive as the large, powerful flying boats of Saeb. What it did have to boast about, however, was its impressive range - over 6,000 kilometers. And as it was a land-based aircraft, it could reach important inland cities such as Toledo, O'polis, Saipuo, Moskovo, New Halsham, Girk, Bogd Gioro, Delta, Novumcastrum, and Centridge City. It had the power to end the era of flying boats, yet nobody bothered to take notice... except the airlines.
      One could never really explain properly what was going on with airlines during the war. While there were those who wanted to flee the violence, others chose to stay. Their trained employees were drafted into the military, leaving many positions empty — some airlines choosing to temporarily fill these positions with untrained workers, or leaving them unoccupied altogether for the sake of safety. Mismanagement and inexperience quickly became one of the leading causes of incidents and accidents of Andallan carriers during the war. There also loomed in the air the threat of Giokton fighters; they would often harass or even shoot down the defenselss airliner upon discovering it during a routine patrol. It was for this reason that airline passengers were required to wear oxygen masks for the entire duration of the flight above the Tiauhai Sea, in the event of a rapid pressure loss. Patched-up bullet holes on the wings, tail and fuselage became a common sight on Andallan airliners, if the aircraft had not already been downed. But as the war went on and Giokton air force numbers slowly dwindled, more airlines became confident to resume operations, while a handful of airlines had also been founded in hopes of exploiting a new-found source of profit. And when they finally had the chance to begin operating their shiny new SK-4s, they put them to work as soon as possible. 
      This was the "Northern Route", one of the most heavily-traveled air routes during the late 1940's to the mid-1960's. It ran from Andalla to Central Europa or @Orioni, with stops at @Iverica, @Prymont (Ostport), Deltannia and finally to wherever in Europa the passenger was destined for. It remained that way until 1964, when the transoriental-capable SK-3 Series 20 jet airliner entered service. It was also in the same year that the airport at Burkini opened; situated near-perfectly in the middle of the Oriental Ocean, the new airport allowed a transoriental crossing to be done in two 4,000-kilometer legs.
      But for now, the Northern Route was their only choice. Airlines could make it through in under 5 days, with many competing against each other for the fastest passage. But for passengers, it was heaven. Their wildest dreams had come true; no longer would they have to take 3 weeks by ocean liner just to reach Europa. Weeks became days, ships became planes, and seas became skies.
      From the corner of his window, Daniel Arvesson could see another SK-4 take off. This one belonged to Østhav Lufttransport, one of the several airlines created solely on the hopes of exploiting this new Silk Road. To him, these airlines were naive and ignorant. It took more than just a startup to be able to travel the Northern Route, because flying was expensive, not only for the passengers but even for the airline itself. In a way, every country charged flyover fees — that is, if they even allowed foreign aircraft to pass through. And though Andalla had been able to at least negotiate discounted fees with Iverica, Ostport and Deltannia, aircraft had to land. And once they were on the ground, airport fees entered the question. Combined with several other fees, taxes and administrative issues made operating an airline an extremely difficult task — one that could drive these "start-up airlines" into bankruptcy within a mere few years. It was a disaster. And somehow, it was Arvesson's duty to fix it.
      In the background, Arvesson heard the faint sound of a phone's sharp ring. His secretary, Mirjam Byström, came in the office.
      "Sir, Minister Holme's on the phone. He wants to speak to you."
      "Why didn't he call me in my office..? Ah, never mind, hold on."
      "Director-General, you have been reading the news regarding our Northern Route, have you?"
      "Ah, yes, of course Minister Holme. Daily."
      "Then, surely, you have heard of what happened in Delta?"
      "Definitely, Minister. I believe we must act on it as soon as possible."
      "Exactly. And what would you propose in order to fix it?"
      "Perhaps a bilateral agreement standardizing aviation regulations could help... But we may not be able to accomplish such a thing anytime soon."
      "Not at all, Director, that is possible. You may want to contact the Deltannian aviation authority... What was the name again? Uh... anyway. I was trying to say, you should contact them and arrange for a bilateral meeting setting the foundations for standardized regulations... I'll bet you they're just as willing as we are to standardize them, especially since the perpetrators only did it for the money. I'm sure we both know that Deltannia is an important stop on the Northern Route, and we can't afford to lose it... Am I understood, Director-General?
      "Yes, sir. I'll arrange a meeting as soon as possible."
      "Thank you."
      Arvesson wasn't amused; Minister Holme was crazy. It wasn't like Andalla and Deltannia could organize a bilateral meeting in a flash. But that was what Minister Holme wanted — Arvesson could not let him down, lest he lose his job as Director-General of the Andallan Aviation Authority. After all, the problem was quite significant — though it was a scandal by a small band of Deltannian airport officials, it did highlight an important flaw in their aviation regulations...
      Delta was, undoubtedly, the most important stop along the journey. Much like a busy bus terminal, it was where passengers would disembark and board another plane for wherever they wished to go. When one traveled the Northern Route, landing at Delta signified the final leg of the journey... and that the aircraft did not crash somewhere in the endless sea of ice surrounding it. Icing was definitely not uncommon when flying in the extreme cold of the Argic Circle. When ice crept up to the wings or vertical stabilizer, the pilot could lose control of the aircraft. When ice got into the engine, there would be nothing moving the aircraft forward. And when ice got into both, you'd know where exactly you were — in the middle of a frozen hell.
      A few days ago, several Deltannian airport officials found a difference between Andallan and Deltannian aviation regulations — one that could, if properly implemented, restrict the passage of any Andallan aircraft within Deltannian airspace. But they weren't going for the safety — instead they only increased flyover fees, airport fees and other taxes for all Andallan aircraft. And through their network of shady deals and accomplices, those extra fees went to... them.
      Once their plot became known, there was nothing the government could do — aviation regulations were aviation regulations, implemented only to ensure the safety of anyone flying within Deltannian airspace. So instead they halted the increase in taxes and prohibited any Andallan aircraft from entering or exiting Deltannian airspace, effectively grounding all Andallan aircraft in Deltannia, Ostport, and elsewhere in Europa. Being the most important stop along the Northern Route, the entire future of the Andallan airline industry was placed in jeopardy...
      — TO BE CONTINUED —
      This topic was formerly disputed by Vocenae. As a result, all mentions of Vocenae have been replaced with Deltannia. The discussion is located here.
      OOC: Prelude to the establishment of an ICAO for Europa. I believe @Gallambria and @Orioni is working on a version of the UN, so we could say this organization evolved into whatever ICAO's counterpart in the Europa UN is.
      A very special thanks to ORIONI for fixing some issues while I was away. Tak!
    • By Andalla
      The following is a list of prominent Andallan arms manufacturers. Until the 1950s, most of Andalla's arms manufacturing was controlled by the government. In 1949, the Arms Industry Privatization Act was ratified, granting more leeway for privately-owned arms manufacturers. The present Andallan arms industry is dominated by Skandinavisk, Faerfrisk Arms and Kungsborg Land Systems.
      SKANDINAVISK
      Skandinavisk Aircraft Manufacturing (Officially Skandinavisk Flygproducent A/S) is the largest manufacturer of aircraft in Andalla and the Andallan Commonwealth Air Force's primary supplier of both combat and transport aircraft.
      Need I explain more? Go click that link.😉
      SAEB GROUP
      The Saeb Group is a largely-defunct defense conglomerate and Andalla's largest arms manufacturer during the Thalassan War. It was established by Anton Bergqvist Saeb in 1913 as Saeb Aeronautik (Saeb Aeronautics), following the early success of Skandinavisk. Bergqvist envisioned Saeb to become the leading aircraft manufacturer in Thalassa, producing primarily flying boats to serve the many Thalassan islands. Saeb soon became the dominant manufacturer of military aircraft in Andalla, supplying significant numbers of Commonwealth Army Air Command (Samväldet Haer Luftkommando) aircraft. In the civilian market, Saeb's flying boats competed very closely with Skandinavisk's landplanes; Saeb emerged as the larger manufacturer during the latter years of the 1920s. In 1936, Bergqvist began to venture into the production of military vehicles, developing the P.1 armored car and establishing Saeb Dynamik (Saeb Dynamics). It was followed by Saeb Armen (Saeb Arms) in 1939, which was highly successful and would continue on to produce most of the Andallan military's small arms. Saeb Aeronautik was highly successful during the Thalassan War, as demand for new military equipment hit a record high. As the Thalassan War came to a close, it was decided that Saeb would begin development of a civil aircraft. It was during this time that demand for military equipment continued to fall across the region, and among those largely affected included Saeb. Unable to continue development, Saeb Aeronautik was forced to sell its jet fighter project to Skandinavisk, which had expressed its desire to begin a combat aircraft program. In 1965, the Saeb Group was forced to sell Saeb Armen to rival Faerfrisk, cementing its position as the leading small arms manufacturer in Andalla.
      Today, Saeb Aeronautik continues to retain its prominence and is currently the second largest aircraft manufacturer in Andalla next to Skandinavisk. No longer having a foothold in the military aircraft market, Saeb Aeronautik mainly produces turboprop and regional jets for the Thalassan market. Saeb Dynamik continues to produce military vehicles in small numbers, with most of its business lost to Kungsborg Land Systems.
      FAERFRISK ARMS
      Faerfrisk Arms (Faerfrisk Armen A/S) is the primary manufacturer of small arms in Andalla, and one of the largest in Thalassa. It started out in 1939 as a factory producing bullets for the ACA, and later Saeb Arms. As demand rose, Faerfrisk (Then Faerfrisk Munitions or Faerfrisk Krigsmateriel A/S) began to produce parts for military vehicles. As demand for military equipment fell following the end of the Thalassan War, Faerfrisk entered into a period of stagnation and recovery; Faerfrisk's military vehicle business went into liquidation in 1953. With massive amounts of surplus arms available at cheap prices after the Thalassan War, it was decided that Faerfrisk would begin development of more advanced, more capable guns to be released when demand for the surplus arms fell. Following the rise of the assault rifle in the late 1950s and early 1960s, Faerfrisk enjoyed a period of success. In 1965, Faerfrisk purchased its largest rival, Saeb Armen, leaving it as the sole major small arms manufacturer in the country.
      KUNGSBORG LAND SYSTEMS
      Kungsborg Land Systems (Kungsborg Jordsystem A/S) is a subsidiary of Kungsborg Heavy Industries (Kungsborg Storindustrigren A/S) responsible for the production of military land vehicles including tanks, rocket artillery and trucks. Formerly Christensen Defense Engineering, a subsidiary of Christensen Automotive, Kungsborg Heavy Industries acquired the company in 1992.
      ASKANGER STEEL YARD
      Askanger Steel Yard (Askanger Stålvaerft A/S) is the largest Andallan shipbuilding company. Established in 1754 as the Royal Askanger Naval Dockyard (Kongeligen Askanger Flottvaerfter) and also encompassed the artillery factories surrounding it. After the kingdom was replaced with a Commonwealth in [YEAR], the Royal Askanger Naval Dockyard was renamed to the Askanger Steel Yard (Askanger Stålvaerft) and its surrounding factories were sold to the private sector. Since then, the Askanger Steel Yard has constructed many of the largest Andallan-made vessels. The company also operates several other shipyards on the island of Himøy.
      BOFORSEN
      Boforsen is a manufacturer of heavy machine guns and heavy weaponry including autocannons and naval guns. Among its well-known products include the 40 mm M36 anti-aircraft/multi-purpose gun, the 51 mm Mk.20 dual-purpose naval gun, and the Skytten 155 mm self-propelled gun.
      GRIPEN
      Gripen Artilerieselskab A/S is a manufacturer of heavy guns and artillery, including naval artillery, field artillery and tank guns. It has been the dominant manufacturer of naval guns in Andalla since the early 1800s. Its headquarters are located in Askanger, near the Askanger Steel Yard. The company was founded in 1788 after businessman Gjermund Hatlestad purchased one of the artillery factories in the Askanger Steel Yard. Though it was unsuccessful, Hatlestad acquired more factories with the money he was earning from his other businesses and eventually grew the company to become a major producer of naval artillery.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Murdercubism is now an officially recognised religion Alphonse von Wallenstein, 09 December 2018 15:12 A young "kommando" devotee of the Murder Cube paying his respects at the Prince Willem Armoury Museum In 2004, artist Norm Alfred unveiled a masterpiece at the Prince Willem Armoury Museum, Gottesberg. He envisioned his “magnum opus” - hundreds of discarded firearms sculpted into a giant cube - to be the creation of art through the destruction of weapons, a powerful and lasting monument to peace. But as old wisdom tells us, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Alfred certainly saw beauty in his work. It’s a fantastic work of art, after all. However, to the wider Rhodellian internet community, it was beautiful in a different, more grizzly way. The exhibit opened to the general public without much fanfare. But, within weeks, hundreds of visitors were suddenly flocking to see it. These beholders weren’t the daisy-chaining, “kumbaya”-singing hippies Alfred had expected. Instead, his art piece had become the unlikely pilgrimage site of many thousands of young Rhodellian netizens wielding gas masks and old surplus rifles (jokingly referred to as “nuggets”). Each would kneel to the great monolith, offering tributes ranging from cans of Chef Boyardee to “milk for the cornflakes”. Together they would chant “Ave nex alea” and "Cheeki breeki" among other tongue-in-cheek slogans . They saw no symbol of peace, but a tribute to death and destruction. To them, this was their almighty monolith: The Murder Cube. Every year, dozens of thousands of young Rhodellians embark on pilgrimages to the Murder Cube. Pilgrims come from all walks of life. They range from students wishing for the best marks on their school marksmanship exams, to conscripts entering national service after college, to boots praying for success as professional soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors. Increased traffic to the Prince Willem Armoury Museum has led to the Murder Cube being moved to bigger rooms (twice), road improvements being constructed all over the local area, and a bustling local tourist industry capitalising on the year-wide influx of pilgrims. None of this shows any sign of slowing down.  What might have started out as an in-joke from some shady corner of the internet has grown into a staple of Rhodellian popular culture. As of December 6, 2018, 14 years after its creation, the glorious Murder Cube had ascended to new heights transcending that of cyberspace. A new addition appeared on the Department of State’s roster of officially recognised religions: Murdercubism. News of this grew viral across many social media platforms, with many struggling to believe that worship of the Murder Cube was now, unironically, eligible to be recorded on legal documents. The majority of responses are positive thus far with many Rhodellians internet communities celebrating this development as a cultural victory. On the other hand, many other netizens felt more skeptical, stating that “the joke went too far” and that Murdercubism’s recent recognition as a valid religion was a "letdown to the many other smaller and unrecognised cultures present in a truly rich and diverse Rhodellian nation”.  Regardless of Murdercubism's official status, countless young devotees will continue to embark on grand pilgrimages just to see their monolith and praise its glorious name wherever they may be. It seems that the Murder Cube, Rhodellia’s unofficial patron deity, is here to stay.
    • Vardin El Al hadn't canceled flights to Aluxia's capital since the civil war had erupted. Four Shai operatives had been assigned to make their way to the territory held by the Free Aluxian Army and to provide their 'services.' The plane had landed at Vardin's modest airport - it didn't see many flights daily. On their plane alone, there were only a handful of people - exactly 10. Some in the airline business would say that operating such flights were unsustainable but the Government mandated the company continue its schedule on an illusion of confidence in the current Imperial throne and to 'be prepared for further activity' should the need be required. The head of the operation was an experienced agent by the name Raphael Bauman, who had shown talent in basic training to be given an opportunity to serve his country in the reconnaissance squad of the elite 1st Golani Division of the Army. Following several successful operations, the nation's intelligence bureau, the Shai, heard of his talents and had him brought off the front lines and to work from the shadows. His instructions were quite explicit: connect with the Free Army by whatever means. It wasn't the first time his superiors had given him no guidance whatsoever. The Aluxian officials glanced at his passport with considerable care. Clearly, there were tensions and they were not as much to do with the war as it was from where he was coming from, let alone his own appearance. Despite this, the Aluxian inspectors had bigger fish to catch than cause an incident with him and so let him on his way. He emerged from the terminal building and witnessed the first hints of concern in Vardin. Soldiers were everywhere. From the building entrance to the gates of the entire airport. The reigning monarch didn't take anything for granted. He may have controlled the capital but fighting a civil war in this day in age was far different than if it had occurred at the turn of the last century, or even further back in time. Due to the war, travelers were light and there was all but one car waiting out front - it was for him and his colleagues. "Your friend Uri sent me to collect you," said the driver. Raphael nodded and nodded to his fellow operatives and all got into the car. Just as they exited the airport, they were halted by soldiers. "Where are you going?" asked the commanding soldier. "Tikva Mission, Embassy Quarter." The squad of soldiers eyed them and returned their gaze to the driver. "These two trucks of men will escort you," the commanding officer said. The driver nodded and turned back to his passengers. "Paranoia over rebel attack," he said, "has them all on edge." Bauman didn't respond and thought to himself particularly because the rebels were hundreds of miles away and wherein no position to assault the capital anytime soon.  The now-convoy of vehicles made their way towards the center of the capital. Driving through the suburban ring and into the center, soldiers were ever-present. "Martial law is in effect," said one loudspeaker they drove past. "Please comply with all regulations." The driver remarked, "it's been like this for nearly two weeks. Won't be changing anytime soon." Soon enough the vehicles reached the barricaded Embassy Quarter where hundreds of Aluxians were arguing with soldiers and law enforcement personnel to get through - all of whom wanted to escape the country and the chaos unfolding. Their escort peeled away and returned to the airport while their car slipped through the gates and approached the Mission. Ambassador Asimov was waiting for them outside. "Brothers and sisters, I am happy to hear that you made it," he announced as the group of four got out. "We have much to talk about it, Bauman," the ambassador paused, "I have a gift for you in the basement, I will have Aram bring it up." The group of five moved to Uri's study to begin their meeting. Idle chit-chat while Aram brought Raphael's 'gift' upstairs. He placed it on the table in front of them, "thank you, you are dismissed." He took his leave. "Now, let's get right to the chance. We do not have long. You might have gotten into Vardin, getting out of it is incredibly difficult," he paused before continuing. "I have some items that may aid your mission including a rough sketch of the Vardin sewers compiled by some...contacts I have within the Imperial Security units here. I recommend you use it to guide yourselves through to the outskirts of the city. I have some burner phones with pre-paid cards for inter-team communications. I have also placed in a small directory of essential numbers. Do not lose it under any circumstances. Eat it if you must, but memorize first." "Along with the standard gear you'd probably need. I've also managed to sneak you a few weapons that I purchased on the 'grey' market. Ammo is also included. Be careful with your supply. I am aware of your brief mission getting in contact with the FAA. It is much too challenging to go straight across the country where the fighting is stewing. Instead, there is another location that may be far easier to liaise with them. Make your way north to Chukba. I hear they are making a push there in the very near future." The ambassador scanned the room. "Any questions?" "What about the 10 million Shekels we're contributing," said one of the four operatives. "I've already taken care of it. Do not worry about it. You have more important things that concerning yourself with the disbursement of dark money." Seeing no other inquiries, he concluded his conversation with the group, "stay here in the embassy this evening, and make your way to the sewer grate in the back of the compound after midnight. You have to be out of the sewers by sunrise." Each operative shook his hand and got up. Raphael was the last to stand up and shake Uri's hand. He was pulled in closer. "You have to hurry and get to Chukba. I haven't heard from Kuzha Yosef Khaimov and Mikel Levitin in five days." Bauman nodded. "We'll find out what's going on." Uri escorted him out to his colleagues. "Feel free to use the third-floor guest rooms to prepare."
    • The Kirvinska counterpart to the Rihannsu and Shffahkian plans of expansion on Aurelia, Blood in the Snow, takes the form of the unfortunate meddling and panache that could come from only one man: a young son of an old Duke's Musketeer, set out to a border province on word of a possible commission. The hot-blooded energy of his youth drives him to actions that any other man would have ignored, and through a series of unfortunate duels, the status of the Cagora valley is suddenly thrown into jeopardy. The once self-sustaining river valley, robbed of its leadership, is driven into the arms of its former overlord- the newly ascendant Kirvina, bolstered by its new status as a member of a powerful League- the Aurelian League. Blood in the Snow plays out in five acts, the first introducing the young man driving its events and the unfortunate mission which took him to Cagora to begin with. It is not an eventline which directly affects most of you out there, but is simply a narrative adventure for your literary pleasure, and should be treated as such: a window into the flair and flamboyance of a culture long gone. Through it one may hear the stories of things lost to the past- duels, noble love, and ultimately the fate of a Duchy. I am open to take any questions about it, the way and timeframe in which it will be completed, and the nature of the political climate surrounding it. Barring any changes, the current completion date for this expansion will be MARCH 1, 2019. The layout of the Cagora river valley is placed below for your convenience. Moderators Involved: @Sunset Sea Islands Players Involved: @Rihan @Shffahkia List to be updated at leisure.
    • @Orioni, I have taken some time to think about the map placement and this is probably the best option as I can justify the Samarran Valley right on the southern border. Plus even if Cashar is 'dormant' no harm in at least having someone share a border with. If this is the ultimate placement, then placement of cities remain except that Harel is at the confluence of the river and the sea, Katzilya is to its right, and Adora further to the right a third of the way to the eastern edge. Ayalon would be placed inland, rather central on the image above. I think adding any other cities to this plot would make it too busy. Let me know if there is anything else you need.