• Announcements

• Orioni

Hello new member   02/03/2018

Welcome to Europa. This site is part of the region of Europa in the online game NationStates. The region of Europa is a diverse community of nations, with a wide range of political and ideological values, working together through various institutions and alliances - at least when they're not threatening to go to war with each other. Whether you want to play it safe with a liberal democracy, set up a communist regime, or rule your citizens with an iron fist and the threat of turning them into dog food, Europa is a great region to play in. As one of the oldest regions in the game, everybody who's anybody wants to try their hand at ruling their own country right here in Europa. Just head on over to the Forum and have a read through the sticky threads. If you're curious about how all of this work, we've included some helpful links to get you started. A good place to start is our Hitchhickers Guide to Europa. Roleplayers will be glad to see our honest and fair RP rules. Check out our map versions and discover how to apply. Experiencing problem with this website? Our helpdesk is always open. Have fun! -- The Europans Team
Orioni

Map v4: Applications & Releases

CARTOGRAPHY of EUROPA

user posted image

pic.png Satellite image of our RP world (July 11th, 2017)

1. Introduction

This is an explanation of v4 of our regional map. It is a continuation of v3, which was expanded into a full globe in 2017. We started with the original landmass of v3, established relative sizes of our world, and added more continents to the remaining area. This project became v4.

2. Qualifying for the map

There are some minimal rules you need to adhere to before applying for a place our map. These rules are fairly straightforward.

Ignoring these qualifications will sadly see your application ignored as well. Sorry about that.

3. Applying for the map

While it was possible in previous versions to simply lay claim to any open piece of land, we decided to exchange this for negotiated placement that makes more sense. We are now working with culture zones, where you will be somewhat related to your neighbouring nations. This will prevent situations where, for example, you have a France-like nation next to a Japan-like nation.

What information should I send along with my request? Your answer to these questions will help to determine the position of your nation.

1. Culture. Is your culture based on RL Europa, Africa, Asia, Arabia, islander, or other?
  2. Climate. Is your nation warm or cold? Is the weather wet or dry?
  3. Location. Is your nation on an island or coastal or inland or landlocked?
  4. History. Is your nation younger or older than 300 years?

Copy this form into a new topic and fill out your request.

Nation in Europa: 
Flag: 
Capital:

Factbook link:
Newsroom link:

Culture: 
Climate: 
You will receive 2-3 options of where your nation can be located. These options depend on your answers to the above questions and similar nations already on the map. Please understand that this is an open negotiation.

4. Resizing your nation

Growing your nation has to be earned. More RP activity means you can end up with a bigger nation. We don't give away land to players who are inactive. If you want to apply for more land you can make a case for it in this topic. If the RP community and cartographer agrees, then your request can be negotiated and approved.

1. Your closest active neighbour must agree.
  2. The cartographer must agree.
  3. The RP community must agree (simple yes/no poll).

Shrinking a nation happens when it ceases to exist. Usually, you are granted some weeks to return. After a long absence, your nation will be reduced to the area around your capital. Your nation will be considered to be in crisis. An exception can be granted for nations with a considerable contribution to RP.

As tempting as it is to expand when your nation hits both the post and population parameters to do so, I must remind everyone that any and every expansion must be properly RP'ed for. This doesn't mean a one-post mention in your news thread, but a proper thread which goes through your acquisition of that land. Don't be afraid to be controversial or reluctant to stir up trouble ? in fact, this is often the best way, as it means that the much more fun can be had. Maybe you're taking over a plot that was originally another player-nation? you could RP the fact that that nation had recently fragmented and you're going in to "pacify" it. Or perhaps the plot you've got your sights set on has always been vacant. In this instance, there could be a minor regime with an opposite political ideology to your nation's, sponsoring terrorism within your borders. Time to invade and scrub out those commies/fascists-supporting terrorists! Just because your nation is expanding, it doesn't mean that every nation will automatically agree. In fact, the majority of wars in this region, whether minor or major, have originally been started over nations expanding. This is perfectly valid and, to a point, does reflect real-world tendencies, as some nations resent others moving into their spheres of influence. On a final note, I must add that when your nation does get big enough to expand into another plot, it doesn't mean you have to. If and when you do wish to take over another bit of land, be prepared to have a proper reason and story thought through to explain this expansion, as well as the fact that other nations may not accept it. Examples of Previous Expansion RPs:

• Collapse of Abyssioan Government. Peacekeepers are sent in to secure a previous player?s nation.
  • Operation: Hammerfall. One nation reacts to terrorists attacking from an adjacent plot, and reacts by invading it. Other nations did't agree and sent military forces.
  • Plot 21 Incident. A nation of one alliance expands into the sphere of influence of another. Nearly went nuclear!

OVERVIEW of UPDATES

All original files are available in our open archive on Google Drive. For posterity, we are also including links to the updates posted on this forum.

2017 Q3

2017 Q4

2018 Q1

user posted image

http://i.imgur.com/0fpAz8I.png

Added:

• Fleur de Lys
  • Prymont

All other claims could not be processed because the land was either already occupied or the player wasn't active enough in RP (see qualifications to be on the map).

Would there be anyway I could expand Great Burlington to also include the piece of land directly above my current plot? Its very minor issue, I truly only want the extra piece of land for more convenient R.P, where I don't have to allude to some non existent nation in which boarders me from above, And Since I heard that the Europa continent might be closed to any new members, I figured it would be a nice way to fill the map a bit from the blanks. If granted I do not plan on expanding any more, fyi. If not I understand, its truly not a big deal but figured I would at least see if it was possible. If I posted this in the wrong place please tell me and I will copy and paste it in the correct place.

Thank you so much

`Great Burlingotn

@Kingdom of Great Burlington

(I think you should have the whole peninsula, which means plot 157 and 158. https://i.imgur.com/msf14Hyr.png )

@Sunset Sea Islands

I obviously would have no problem with that. I do thank you for seconding my request. I obviously don't want to step on any toes, and will oblige by whatever is decided.

Nation in Europa: Andalla

Flag: Still working on it.

Capital: Cassagan

Culture: Pacific Islander/American, kinda like Hawaii

Climate: Tropical

History: Volcanic islands rocked by several ethnic wars from locals and foreigners alike for about 800,000 years, ended in a ceasefire and eventual union.

I have spoken to Cashar about his application and even though he has not submitted it yet I wanted to propose locations for both Cashar and ?ndalla.

Interestingly both of them mentioned that they'd like their culture similar to Hawaii, so I placed them geographically close to me, Europas real Hawaii. biggrin.gif

From what I have deduced from Cashar he/she/it resembles Chile and ?ndalla mentioned that it is an volcanic island nation near the equator. Since I know where the equator crosses my nation I searched for islands nearby and placed ?ndalla where I placed it. I have talked to Cashar about map placement and we agreed that this spot would be nice. Cashar's border is a little rough in this sketch, so this would have to be edited.

user posted image

Feedback from both nations and Orioni would be appreciated.

Nation in Europa: Cashar

Flag: It's my avatar. The green, silver, and gold colors represent the colors of currency, a commitment to the environment, a commitment to defense (the silver looks kind of like steel in color, too) and industry, and the gold represents a life. richly lived.

Capital: Protiva

Culture: The culture will be one that I've made up, but it will be borrowing elements from a large number of other cultures. The government is an ultra-capitalist one: a parliamentary republic run under a constitutional corporatocracy. Right now, the language has elements from Russia and Arabia and is written in a runic alphabet (like some of the old Germanic languages), the majority of the Cashari live secular lives with a small portion dedicated to an animistic-like religion and an even tinier portion dedicated to other religions, Cashar has a big tourism industry, so there's probably a number of other cultures that live there besides those who are native to Cashari. It does have some things culturally similar with Hawaii in that sense and also the sense that there is a large wealth gap, so there are slums and very poor areas.

Climate: The climate is tropical with some alpine features depending on the topography, elevation, and prevailing winds of the area. It's usually warm and wet. Seasonal variation usually isn't divided by temperature but by the rainy seasons. In the summer, it is warm and sunny, and the winter is usually marked by the rainy season.

Location: Near the equator probably due to the climate. It is not an island. It is coastal with a number of rivers and a mountain range. I'm also thinking it probably has a peninsula.

History: The country itself would be much, much older than 300 years with an extensive history involving a few cultures of tribal and sea-faring peoples, a conquest by an empire, being "modernized" by said empire, the fall of that empire and self-governing, a 50-year civil war, a number of struggles for power, etc. The nation generally celebrates an "Establishment Day" which is the day it became an official parliamentary republic under a constitutional corporatocracy in 07/17/1770.

Additional Notes: I can confirm that I have spoken with Sunset Sea Islands. I believe the geographical position they picked out would be very ideal for a number of reasons (also, the country's shape is almost kind of... symbolic? LOL).

Also, if Andalla and I do end up that close together, we could possibly share some history, if they think that might be a good idea. Especially since they mentioned foreigners coming to their islands.biggrin.gif

Also, also, once I've been here long enough, I'd probably like to apply for more land. Being the ultra-capitalist nation it is, Cashar is probably of the opinion that more land means more resources and more places for tourists to see, etc.

Edited by Cashar

Ah, I forgot to mention that

a ) there are mountains where I placed Cashar since that's where tectonic plates collide and

b ) there are vulcans and earthquakes where plates collide, so I'd assume ?ndalla's islands are of volcanic nature.

Edited by Sunset Sea Islands

Would there be any way I could expand Great Burlington to also include the piece of land directly above my current plot? It's a very minor issue, I truly only want the extra piece of land for more convenient R.P, where I don't have to allude to some non-existent nation in which borders me from above.
@Great Burlington:

I see two options for you to go forward. Do you want this merger to happen (a) in the present or (B) in the past? You could RP it either way.

1. Present. Citizens to the north hold a referendum to join the more prosperous GB. You can RP the run-up to the referendum, political discussions for/against, seek international recognition, and then finish with a "yes" vote. I can label the area as off-limits for the time being.
  2. Past. North was traditionally part of GB. Conquered by a previous monarch. You could have a quick RP about it in the historic roleplay section.

Nation in Europa: Andalla

Flag: Still working on it.

Capital: Cassagan

Culture: Pacific Islander/American, kinda like Hawaii

Climate: Tropical

History: Volcanic islands rocked by several ethnic wars from locals and foreigners alike for about 800,000 years, ended in a ceasefire and eventual union.

@Andalla:

I think I know a few good locations for your nation to be. If you want islands near the Equator, they will probably be in Marenesia. Visually we'll never be able to see all of those 2800+ islands, but the major ones will.

user posted image

Before proposing some options for you to choose from, could you maybe also get around to setting up a factbook and news agency? It's a minimum to qualify and shows you are invested in staying active here. Much appreciated.

@Cashar:

You have a factbook and a newsroom so that's alright with me. From your request I remember two things that are important:

• Culture. "Right now, the language has elements from Russia and Arabia and is written in a runic alphabet (like some of the old Germanic languages). [...] It does have some things culturally similar with Hawaii in that sense and also the sense that there is a large wealth gap, so there are slums and very poor areas."
  • Climate. "The climate is tropical with some alpine features depending on the topography, elevation, and prevailing winds of the area. It's usually warm and wet."
You will be in the east of the big continent (still unnamed). This does get you close to @Sunset Sea Islands. But the Russian influences will place you a bit more to the north. Which is still ok. Having an ultra-capitalist economy near the Equator is problematic. Factories will get too hot during the day for long workdays. I suggest these areas away from the equator, which are cooled by the arctic sea currents. Still sunny, but not impossibly hot.

user posted image

I think I have met the very minimal qualifications to apply for a spot. If not so, then just tell me.

Nation: Cavunia

Flag: my avatar (or check my factbook)

Culture: South Slavic, leaning Catholic (Slovenia, Croatia) with a bit of northern vibe (Polish, Czech, Slovakian)

Location: mountainous country with a coastline (if possible, a few islands will not hurt as well). Does not need to be big, I don't mind reducing my population from current 25 millions to even 3 - 4)

Cliamte: mostly mediterranean, however more elevated parts of the country should have some continetal influence. Snow is fine in those parts.

History: isolated tribes united in early medieval, zealous and aggresive character in the past, nowadays conservative nation still recovering after communist government

Edited by Cavunia

Yes, but there's also Arabic influences for the language, too. And that's just the language. I'm kind of basing geography on Venezuela and Poland, and the history is vaguely Spain (but not really; I might throw in some India and China elements in the history, too). LOL So, I'm not sure going by that influence alone would be the best decision. Ethnicity-wise, I haven't actually decided on it. Given the plans I have for their location, I imagine they'd probably have dark hair and an olive complexion. But I also kind of want there to be a sizable population of people with red hair in Cashar, too. I'm not sure why. I just do. lol

Buuuuut... You do make a good point about the factory thing. I hadn't considered that. Perhaps the tropics wouldn't be the best. Perhaps a more temperate zone would be better. I kinda already started mentioning a peninsula in my history, so do you think maybe this area would be okay?

user posted image

If not, that's fine, too. I can rework what I've written (going to have to anyway because of the change in climate).

If the three spots you picked out are my only choices, I'll probably end up going with the southernmost spot. But again, if possible, I'd like the spot I picked out.

Edited by Cashar

@ Orioni

Not that I'm frowning upon your idea but I actually by chance already have in my rp before I even joined this region something similar to Scotland and England, with my Whales, and Burlington.

In my rp I have it where the Monarch of Whales heir to the throne marries Burlington's heir to the thrown creating a union of crowns and also establishing "Great" Burlington in 1895.

This I hope (but I'm willing to have feedback) could be something we could establish where the nation to the North of me is "Whales", and my current nation as Burlington, with in canon being the story of the marriages of the crowns.

This would work for me because I would not have to change the already established story of the marriage of the two Kingdoms in 1895. This can be seen here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=727357

Please give me feedback I'm willing to hear what you have to say, but tell me what you think.

~Great Burlington

Nation in Europa: Derthalen

Flag:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/3094...246464/Flag.png

Capital: Heinrichstadt

Culture: Extremely conservative and xenophobic Luddites who are effectively medieval.

Climate: Continental

Location: Someplace with mountains and with access to the ocean.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/3094..._map_-_Copy.png

History: My nation formed after Goths and Alemanni arrived in our region through sailing, and managed to purge it of the 'Beast-men' that lived here. After many years of fighting between different states, the Kingdom of Derthalen managed to unify all the disparate states into one confederation as the Empire of Derthalen.

The rest of our history can be read in our fact book.

user posted image

Note: area of circle does not indicate future size of nation.

@Great Burlington : Your feedback is perfectly clear. No-one is opposed to granting you the northern part of your peninsula. I don't see a problem with it either. There proposed RP's were to keep up the already active roleplays. As you explain in your dispatches, Whales/Wales joined the Kingdom centuries ago. Perhaps a minor news article could celebrate this act of unification. I'll let you come up with an exact date for it.

@Andalla : Have you had any time to think about a factbook and news agency?

@Cashar : On the map, I shared there were three proposed locations. We've narrowed the choice down to two. Which one do you prefer? (1) The northernmost circle is somewhat of a peninsula as well, right next to the area you highlighted. I also think this is where we'll see Arabic influences. (2) On the other hand, if you prefer the southernmost circle, this is also close to the Sunset Sea Islands.

@Cavunia : Mediterranean Slavic communism. There is definitely a place for you along the northwestern continent. I'll give you an adequate size for 25 million. This can be tweaked again later.

@Derthalen : Continental with mountains and access to water. Germanic will be in the north-west. Not inside the Arctic Circle, but close enough. Somewhere to the southwest of Prymont.

Hmmm... If I choose the northernmost spot, would I be able to expand into the peninsula later? I think maybe I will go with the northern spot, regardless, now that I think about it. Please let me know if yay or nay.

@Orioni : Thank you so very much for granting me the Green light! I will get on doing a news article asap celebrating the anniversary of the union of the two nations.

I'm being honest when I say this is the most efficient, in depth region on nationstates. Thank you Orioni for your commitment to this region.

- Great Burlington

I like the spot! Grants some place to interact with, I especially like the location near Derthalen, which seems ideologically close to Cavunia and a close proximity to the continent which has 'Arabic influences'. That may explain Arabic minority in Cavunia and allow me to set some religious wars in past history.

Didn't Derthalen ask for a different spot for a long time? Honestly, I feel like it's somehow a blow to the guts for him... (Although I must say, the spot you have chosen for him was my initial idea as well.)

@Cashar: Ok, north it is.

@Great Burlington: Great. smile.gif Looking forward to that.

@Cavunia: You'll be added with the next update, probably later this week. I did indeed mention Arabic influences. I made a rough map of how humans may have migrated across the globe. Oceans currents favour the discovery of the new lands from several sides, creating a unique blend.

@Sunset Sea Island: As discussed on Discord, @Derthalen will get a hermit nation on the island highlighted in black. All that remains is for him to launch an active news outlet.

user posted image

Edited by Orioni

Minor update: based on plate tectonics, I established the bathymetry.

• shallow depths
  • ocean floor
  • deep-sea trenches

user posted image

https://i.imgur.com/0iyo53N.png

The next major update will see all above nations established onto the map.

@Derthalen: How is your news network coming along?

user posted image

https://i.imgur.com/CNhndDF.png

Added:

• Cashar
  • Cavunia

Expanded:

• Great Burlington

If the newly added nations think their borders should be modified, please do let me know. This is not set in stone. I can tweak the borders, so long as the size of your nation stays roughly the same. An expansion is possible, please see the above explainer on resizing your nation.

Hmmm... it looks good, however I've always imagined my capital to be located in the mountains (as its name suggests) - are there those nearby?

Oh and also - what is the area approximately? Just for the factbook purposes. Anyways, everything's fine with me.

Hello everyone, sorry for the long gap between posts!

Orioni, can I be plopped on the peninsula across the straight from that island? I would like to be on the mainland for now. (Soon I shall start expanding and conquering all of the lands that meet the Dolch-See! Muahahahahaha!)