Orioni

Forum background images

That settles it. I like Santorini as well. Nice find Magnaeus. I have set this as our new background for the summer. https://sites.google.com/site/orionieuropa/...rini-summer.jpg

Every time I open a page, the background image keeps reloading. Shouldn't this be stored on my computer? It would make the website a lot more faster.

While background images are no longer possible in the new design, we can add different images to the selector at the topright. Currently this includes:

1. mountains (default)
  2. black rocks (default)
  3. polygon (default)
  4. grey colour (default)
  5. Santorini (custom)

I am open to adding new images. We can have a total of 6 different headers. I will get rid of some default ones. I am thinking of replacing these with images that can represents our diverse cultures and climates. Feel free to share them here.

Thanks @Afropa. Does anyone else have other suggestions? I'll give this until next week before making the changes. Also let me know if you want to keep any of the default headers. Otherwise I'll kick them all out. Thanks.

I want to set custom headers for each cultural or climate zone. Right now we only have: snowy mountains + island life. There are also two proposals from Afropa (Savannah) and Eurofuhrer (mountains). So we now have:

1. Mediterranean islands
  2. mountains
  3. savannah

@Iverica : It is possible to set 6 custom header. You can help by finding 3 more on a free stock image site like pexels.com. The climates we still need are:

1. tropics, rainforest, maybe wild animals, vivid colours
  2. desert, dry, sand, canyons, blistering sun, settlements
  3. city-state, tall skyscrapers, city life, technology

All these images should fit within the narrow horizontal band on our forums. This is limiting and difficult yet also quite essential. The default size appears to be 2000 x 300px

Is this something you can take care of?

• Like 3

Iverican explorer, Vasco Deigamo of the International Geographic Society has put together a compilation of his findings. Collected from the months spent trekking through the wilderness he has placed the following up for consideration:

Contenders for Desert (Vanilla):

pexels-photo-459319.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

pexels-photo-255419.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

3. While trekking through deserts in @Sa Hara , Mr Deigamo found his wallet and passport stolen. In order to return, he spent 40 days taking questionable channels and routes into Afropa, where he was met at the border by his dear friend, Representative Manuel Osmena (now deceased).

caravan-339564_1280.jpg

Contenders for Canyon:

pexels-photo-164226.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

2. Deigamo jokingly called this one, "Mui Bien", a hand gesture from mother earth (see if you can spot it)

pexels-photo-164170.jpeg?h=350&auto=comp

3. Deigamo's journal is littered with little humourous entries describing his surrounding. Likely delirious from hunger, he called this one "Father's missing trousers"

stone-arch-828730_1280.jpg

Contenders for Urban/Metropolitan:

1. He took brief respite in hotels in @Synturia . Deigamo was a self-proclaimed ascetic, and never slept in the rooms booked by the Society, instead, he spent his nights sleeping on roof decks.

pexels-photo-533930.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

2. (Is this in NS backgrounds?) Deigamo has no memory of this place

pexels-photo-311012.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

Interesting Land Forms:

1. landscape-1158269_1280.jpg

2. Deigamo's home town was Sant Bastién, Argon. He took this photo from a hill close to his childhood home

rio-de-janeiro-olympics-2016-niteroi-bra

3. A visit to the rice terraces of Futanarien before the current troubles yielded this view.

landscape-2389023_1280.jpg

4. (I know these are just foothills or Steppes)

prairie-highway-the-scenery-mountain-376

Contenders for Jungle/Rainforest

1. Deigamo frequented the jungles of Afropa, he took this while stuck in the middle of the bush, down with a bad bout of  Malaria.

pexels-photo-396714.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

sunrise-1950873_1280.jpg

Contenders for Thalassa:

yellow-mountains-532857_1280.jpg

2. "Little Sail Boats in the Field". Deigamo's occasional travelling companion, whom he later married was Yuki Yoshiyoka, a half-Futanarien. 

landscape-2535314_1280.jpg

3. Some hidden temples in Alharu and uncharted Thalassan islands. Deigamo lost a few kilograms fleeing from rolling boulder booby-traps of death and dodging pressure plate triggered spikes.

cambodia-1674535_1280.jpg

cambodia-2710293_1280.jpg

Updates to come. Alternative source used: Pixabay (also a free image site)

Edited by Iverica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Iverica Are you 100% finished with your research? If yes, then I will take some time this weekend to integrate these new images into the header.

@OrioniI haven't found any more good ones on free image sites. Is it just me or are half the images not working/linking properly?

The ones I originally posted were the best both sites had to offer, so they seem good to go

It seems Pixabay doesn't like me putting up too many of their images at the same time. They are still viewable via right click+copy image address and following though. To make it easier, let me assemble the portfolio on my imgur page... [Collection of missing and additional images]

• Thanks 1

Alright. I have gone and tried some of these images. They were all edited to fit within the 2000 x 300 pixels height. This is a very annoying size. Let me know what you think.

• Thanks 2

Thank you @Synturia, I will look into redoing those to get a better result.

• Like 1

I've replaced the city skyline and tropical island headers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Orioni methinks we should expand the forum background image library a bit with a few seasonal images.

pexels-photo-396714.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

prairie-highway-the-scenery-mountain-376

rio-de-janeiro-olympics-2016-niteroi-bra

pexels-photo-164226.jpeg?w=940&h=650&dpr

(Reposting some of @Iverica's choices because I think those would look great.)

For those of you who didn't know yet, you can change the background image of the forums by clicking on this button:

8GP6vpF.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm almost certain I was drunk when I ripped those images and wrote the odd descriptions on them that now make me go: "lol wut"

• Haha 1

Changing around the images is certainly possible.

Right now we're using six, which is the maximum.

If you want one or more images added, another one will have to be removed.

@Sunset Sea Islands @Iverica That choice is yours.