Sign in to follow this  
Bainbridge Islands

The Kingdom of Bainbridge Islands

Official Name: The Kingdom of Bainbridge Islands

Capital City: Honolulu

Major Cities: Aiea, Lahaina, Waimea

Governmental Type: Constitutional Monarchy

Number of legislative branches: Two, Lower Parliament (Hou Hale ? New House - elected by population) and Upper Parliament (Kahiko Hale ? Old House; elected two per district)

Provinces or Territories: 18 districts

Formal Head of State: His Royal Highness, King Kamehameha VIII

Political Head of State: His Royal Highness, King Kamehameha VIII

Official Language: Standard English (Formal governmental language), but Hawaiian is widely spoken.

Official Religion: Catholicism

Population: 90 million

Major Minorities: Haole (36%), Oriental (23%)

Separations of powers: Legislative, Executive, and Judicial

user posted image

Kingdom of the Bainbridge Islands Wiki:

Kingdom of the Bainbridge Islands

Edited by Bainbridge Islands

Like the map, what did you use? I'm still trying to improve mine. sad.gif

@ Bainbridge Islands: Well, there is a great geographical map already in place for everyone to use. Simply save the geomap you see here to your desktop and edit it with some image program like Paint. The mountains in your island are already shown, so you should take that into account, but adding minor rivers is always possible. Just use a blue brush and voila. Btw: you can remove the numbers by just painting over them with a green brush.

Edit: Orioni, thank for the direction. Hopefully I will develop some mediocre artistic ability (soon) and eventually present a useable map.

(P.S. The map is stunning - thanks!)

Edited by orioni

National animal

user posted image

I have to go with something tropical, and probably aquatic (being an island nation), so I'm going to go with the bottle-nosed dolphin (hey, the KBI isn't an agressive nation, for the most part...)

Well, after some work (and the geomap), here's rev 1 of the map of the Kingdom of the Bainbridge Islands:

user posted image

An improvement over the previous disaster! thumbsup.gif

OOC: Before anyone blows a gasket with me, the map below IS NOT a claim on any territory beyond the allotted island that I'm on. I am NOT claiming any thing on the regional map below. I'm interested in writing some stories dealing with areas directly around the island (i.e. natural disasters, rescue situations, maybe even pirates pirate.gif ), but I wanted to name the islands, in Hawaiian (Islandese) so I don't have to reference them by number ("the disaster happened on island #0.18; Oh the humanity..."). I'm just naming them for the reference in stories. Again, I repeat, I'm not claiming them, just naming them (in the KBI dialect)!

That being said, here's my reigonal map...

user posted image

Northern Meteorola Island Chain Regional Map

-Now, let the complaints begin...("hey, I didn't read the above paragraph, so why are you trying to claim everything?) encolere9.gif

I'm going to try something else, an expansion of the above regional map. Again, just to be clear - I'm not claiming anything on the above map! It is only for background purposes. So, here goes... sweatdrop.gif

One Hanau ? (Homeland)

The traditional name for the big island, it is by far the largest island in the Northern Meterolas chain, and holds the entire population of the Kingdom of the Bainbridge Islands. It has numerous major cities (metroplexes over 4-5 million inhabitants), along with fourteen smaller surrounding islands. (OK - so I do claim this one)

Uahi Moku ? (Smoke Island)

The island directly north of One Hanau is an active volcano, which has erupted numerous times during the past 100 years. Its most recent eruption was in 2006, a small ?correction? that lead to the death of over 200 of its inhabitants. Geologists from the National Seismographic Society predict a larger eruption within five years, that may devastate the entire island.

More island stuff...

user posted image

Ao Moku ? (Cloud Island)

A leeward island across the channel from the big island, it is inhabited by small groups of political settlers seeking to escape the traditional cultures of the KBI. Relations are nominally civil, with the current inhabitants shunning any contact with any outside organizations (including nations). A Costal Guard Unit visits monthly to ensure the health and welfare of the inhabitants, although they are always waived off and sent away.

Ao appears to be perpetually surrounded by a permanent cloud of fog, only dissipated during hot summer days or after a hurricane passes though. It reveals a rough, rocky terrain along its coast, ill suited for long term habitation. The center of the island has not been actively explored, only viewed via satellite .

National Wonder(s)

user posted image

Computer rendition of the Hale ali'i loko wai

Name: What is this wonder called?

Hale ali? i loko wai (Palace on the lake)

Place Constructed: Is it in your capital or out in some ruin?

Built in the city of Hanama Bay, the same location of the world famous inlet . It is located about midway between Honolulu and Pearl Harbor.

Existed: When was this marvel built and when was it destroyed or does it still stand proudly?

It was started in 1884 and completed in 1892. It was damaged during the Civil War era (1934 ? 1937), but it was restored in the 1940s, and remains one of the notable representations of ?Neo-modern? construction.

History: Give a brief or length description of this wonder's history.

The Hale ali?i was built by King Kamehameha III, in honor to his grandfather, for uniting the Bainbridge Island into one entity. This spacious building is located between Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, and is designated as one of the great treasures of the KBI. Its architecture is diverges dramatically from traditional BI buildings of the era, and introduced the ?Neo-Modernist? movement of the late 18th century. It is built using a concrete composite, and alloys that were not common to the BI during the 1890s. As such, it is believed that northern influences were instrumental in the design.

King Kamehameha lived in the Hale ali?i until the Iolani palace was completed at the turn of the century (~1915). He initiated the great ?Ho?oloi Hou? (Great Revision) from here, where the tribal chiefs were stripped of official powers, and control of the provinces were assigned to trained bureaucrats, elected by the lower house (until universal sufferage in 1946 allowed for direct election of governmental officials).

Description: Describe this wonder of your people!

The Hale ali?i loko wai is KBI equivalent to Versailles or any other great royal retreat. The unique aspect of this building is twofold:

1) It represents the seat of power of one of the ablest rules of the KBI during a time of consolidation. Many local chiefs wanted to usurp control of the KBI from the king, but he was able to exert control on the government and formalize practices to maintain the future peaceful transition of power.

2) The size of the structure is amazing, especially for the era it was built. It has about 55,000 square feet, including governing areas, personal areas, and an extensive museum. It is able to accommodate up to 20 large sea going vessels at any time, although this function is no longer used.

Going to the ?Hale ali?i is a major point of BI tourism, popular enough to merit a monorail station in Hanama Bay for the express purpose of visiting this historical wonder.

The RL has Harvard, Oxford, MIT, Stanford, ect... so what does Europa have? Please list the name of your institute, where it is located, what is it known for, and anything else you'd like to add (maybe even a pic...)

I'll start:

user posted image

Overview of main campus

Lonolo'i Institute of Technology (LIT)

Specialty: New Energy Technologies and Integration

Established in 1965, the LIT is the center of energy technologies of the KBI. The campus spans over 100 acres, with numerous research facilites along with the educational buildings and residential quarters. It is fully funded by the KBI government, which has access to many of its research developments.

Entry to the LIT is extremely difficult - it is estimated that only .2% of all applicants pass the initial entry examination, and from that, only 25% pass the full day interview. The difficult five year course is demanding - only one month off a year, and failure to pass a semester will result in the student being dropped from LIT.

The payoff is a guaranteed job with either the government or with private business, who happen to have a large number of corporate research facilites near the main campus.

user posted image

Nanotechnology Research Labs at LIT

user posted image

New Drucker School of Business on the campus of Aiea University

Drucker School of Business, Aiea University

Specialty: Graduate Business Studies ("B" School)

The Drucker school of business is the foremost institute for business learning in the KBI. Named after the legendary managerial philosopher, Kamulu Drucker, this is the center from which the ?best and the brightest? graduate from, and enter the world of finance and business.

It traditionally kept to the ?original studies? of Accounting, Marketing, Human Resources, and Supply Chain Logistics, but in the last few years it has added Internet Business Studies and Environmental Integration Studies (aka Eco-Business).

The Drucker School of business encourages foreign exchange from other universities, and actively participates in business, to develop cutting edge business theory.

user posted image

Grounds of the Koa Kualani

Koa Kualani (Warrior College)

Specialty: Military Arts

The Koa Kualani is the pinnacle of military training for officers in the KBI. The ?K2?, also known as the ?academy?, trains all prospective officers for permanent duty in the KBI military forces. It trains all officers for all branches of the KBI military (Navy, Army, Marines, Air Force, Coastal Guard). Interestingly, to be accepted into the ?academy?, the prospective service member must have completed an ?enlisted? four-year term of service. In other words, all graduates of the Koa Kualani are drawn from existing ranks, and are considered the best of those enlistees. (There is no ?appointments? for individuals who have not proven they can handle military life).

The first two years are general military training (i.e. physical conditioning, military history). The next two years are specialized training in their chosen branch, including ?mini-tours? in their service.

Once the service member graduates with his/her four year degree, they move onto graduate school after completing their first tour of duty. The graduate schools are located about the island.

user posted image

Graduation Ceremony

user posted image

Mountain ranges north of Makalapa

KBI Customs and Courtesies

Greetings

Men greet with a handshake and an ?Aloha?. They often shake hands with everyone when entering a home or greeting a group. Most women kiss each other once on the cheek and offer a verbal greeting. Kissing on the cheek is also common between friends of the opposite sex, especially among younger people. Greetings between strangers are brief; friends spend a short time talking about their families or health. Common verbal greetings are:

Hello: Aloha, Aloha mai (formal), Welina mai (for first time meetings)

Good Morning: Aloha awakea

Good Afternoon: Aloha 'auinala

Good Evening: Aloha ahiahi

How are you?: Pehea 'oe?

And, when in doubt, the ever-present ?Aloha?.

People usually address other by first name, or they may use a professional title without a surname. Strangers frequently use Mr., Mrs., or Miss, and nicknames are common among friends, acquaintances, and co-workers.

Gestures

Islanders use hand gestures while taking to reinforce ideas and emotions, which makes conversations rather lively. It is rude to interrupt a friend or acquaintance during conversation. Maintaining eye contact while talking is important, especially in formal situations. The lack of eye contact may be considered a sign of insincerity or spite. People stand close when talking, often touching or tapping each other when making a point.

One beckons with the palm down and fingers together waiving inward. Yawning in the presence of others may be interpreted as boredom, so it is polite to cover one?s mouth.

Visiting

Islanders are extremely social, and visiting in the home is common. Friends also socialize on the street, while waiting in lines, at gatherings in neighborhoods, and work centers.

Daytime visits are often unannounced but welcome. They may be long or short, without too much concern for schedules. Weekends and holidays are the most popular times to visit. Hosts usually offer guests something to drink, such as black coffee, wine, soft drink, or poi juice. Declining such an offer is not impolite. If visitors arrive at mealtime, hosts may offer to share the meal, but guests respectfully decline and leave. When rural people visit urban friends, they take a gift of food; urbanites visiting in rural areas may offer money to help pay for the expenses related to their stay.

EE.gif

user posted image

Kalakau Valley, Northwestern Bainbridge

General Attitudes

?Hau'oli Pu?, the Islander way of manner, is important. It generally means a casual or carefree way of life. For example, time is not as important as interpersonal relationships. ?Aloha time? means that meetings and appointments begin when they start and not always at a specific hour. It is more important to wait for all to arrive than it is to start on time. The family is very important; the group is always more important than the individual. People show respect to the elderly, especially to an older woman or a ?Lani Houna? (an elder chief who cares for ancient lands). Sharing and borrowing are more common concepts than ownership or ?having?.

KBI Languages

Royal English (RE) ? The main formal language of the KBI. Commerce, entertainment, education, and daily life is usually conducted through this form of speaking. (Similar to Standard American English).

Traditional Hawai?ian (TH) ? The formalized ?ancient? language of the Island, used to conduct ceremonies, especially in Traditionalists religious functions.

Islander Pigdin (IP) - An informal mix of the above, used throughout the island, especially among those of lesser financial status. Speaking ?pigdin? is a mark of lower education and social standing, but is none the less, spoken throughout the Kingdom for its ease and malleability.

Standardization

RE ? Highly Formal (The Royal Academy of Communication sets the standards for KBI English)

TH ? Semi-formal (Basically standardized, but regional dialects of TH exist)

IP ? Informal (a ?dirty mix? of both above, with some loan word from other countries)

Intonation

RE ? Intonal

TH ? Intonal

IP ? Intonal

Accent

RE ? Informal

TH ? Informal

IP ? Informal

Syntax

RE ? Analytic

TH ? Analytic

IP ? Synthetic

Grammar

RE ? Prescriptive

TH ? Descriptive

IP ? Descriptive

Complexity

RE ? Intermediate

TH ? Intermediate

IP ? Simple

Written Form

RE ? Latin

TH ? Latin

IP ? Latin

References:

Traditional Hawaiian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_language

http://ulukau.org/english.php

Islander Pigdin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Pidgin

http://www.dakinedictionary.com/

EE.gif

Cultural Backgrounds ? Media

What media best represents what you envision for your nation? Any movies, books, television shows, internet sites, or anything else you can think of best provides the atmosphere of your nation? Or perhaps, certain parts of your national culture? Put them down, so everyone else can get an idea of you envision!

Just add stuff as you think of it (its hard to do it all at once)!

EE.gif

Sign in to follow this