Sign in to follow this  
Tamurin

Weird object crashes near coast of Tamurin

user posted image OOC: Gravedigging, 'cause this was a great RP and I can't remember it ended.. Also, some nations have a space program, so this could become quite interesting too.

"Target is in place. A reinforced steel slab, 20 metres by 10 metres by 3 metres. Range, 2000 kilometres. Testing long range target acquistion. Power cells are charged and ready, fission reactors at full capacity. Begin firing sequence of the G.O.D. cannon. 10 seconds. Target selected. 8 seconds. Target is locked. 5 seconds. Cesium particles accumuated in magnetic feeder. 2 seconds. G.O.D. cannon firing!"

There was a bright flash at the end of the muzzle conentrator. 2000 kilometres downrange, the impact was clearly seen.

"Sensors on the slab are not returning any data. The energy may have overloaded them. Energy readings before the end of transmission was approximately 2754 terrajoules. Telescopes cannot clearly see the slab, the vapour cloud is blocking the view. Space science vessel Sarragossa is entering the firing range to provide a close up view. ETA 2 minutes."

"This is the Sarragossa, we are moving in at 35 metres per second. Beginning 1.5 G deceleration to 10 metres per second. Range to slab is...1200km and closing. Telescopes still cannot see through the vapour cloud. It is dissipating fairly quickly though. We estimate 30 seconds before seeing the slab and determining what is left. It is conceivable that with the G.O.D. cannon's power output, that the entire slab is the vapour cloud. We will keep you updated Thor station. out."

45 seconds pass.

"Thor station, this is Sarragossa. We have come to a relative stop at a distance of 90 km. The slab is no long there. There are no indications left anywhere. The vapour cloud is the steel slab. Test fring is successful."

"Sarragossa, this is Thor station. We concur. Thank you for confirmation. Standby one...Sarragossa...we have intermittent xeno readings. 40 000km outward, relative to Thor station 55 degrees latitude, 32 longitude. Can you confirm Sarragossa?"

"Wait one Thor station...we are checking. Confirmed. We cannot make them out. It appears to be heading towards Sarragossa at 200 metres per second. 35 000km and closing. It is decelerating. Thor station, this is no random xeno reading, we have a faint RADAR signature. Attempting to get a visual reading but our telescopes are having difficulty keeping up at the speed of the target. We have several new smaller targets just appearing on RADAR. They came out of nowhere, spreading out from the main body. It could be a carrier of some kind. 10 000km and closing Thor Station. The main body has come to a relative stop. The smaller unidentified bodies are still inbound at 100 metres per second."

"Sarragossa, we do not know what it is, we are training the G.O.D. cannon on the main target...in case of possible hostile intent. We suggest you move to within defensive range of Thor station and its defence platforms at best possible speed. We are sending out a universal greetings of greetings and peace. We do not know whether or not they can comprehend our language, or how long it will take for them to interpret Latin."

"Affirmative Thor Station, we are maneuvering to Thor station. In 5 seconds we can accelerate towards defensive range. We will be doing an emergency 7G acceleration. Clear all traffic of our path. They will close in on us long before, I pray they are not hostile xenos."

"Godspeed Sarragossa. The G.O.D. cannon will be charged for another shot in 10 seconds. It cannot acquire such fast moving targets unfortunately, so we are maintaining a lock on the main xeno body, but we can only effectively calibrate to 2 000km with current sensor suites so we cannot guarantee more than 45% chance of target hit."

"Understood, Sarragossa out."

"Sir, astromomers have been able to focus on the main xeno body. The image is grainy and slightly out of focus. You might want to see this.

"Thank you Flight Lieutenant, patch it through to my personal monitor."

user posted image

"Now that's interesting...inform Air Commodore Stanciu at Outreach Space Centre...we have confirmation of a xeno space faring vessel. Likely interplanetary. This is a priority message. Also, contain any information pertaining to this encounter. I do not want it reaching the public until the Emperor and Prime Minister allow it."

"Wing Commander! Sarragossa is within range of defense platforms. However...it is being fired upon! The Sarragossa is not designed to handle any kind of weapons fire!"

"Ready all Rapier II missile banks! Proximety fuse. Fire when ready! Issue a warning to back off or the main vessel will be fired upon!"

"Thor Station! We are evacuating! Sarragossa is automatically decelerating to relative stop. Please send recovery teams! Out."

"Weapons officer! What is the status of the xeno vessels?"

"We have one confirmed kill, 4 appear to have taken damage as they are retreating, the rest are maintaining the attack. Wing commander, permission to fire upon the xeno carrier!"

"Granted... order the G.O.D. crew to fire the G.O.D. cannon."

"Wing commander, we have a possible second kill. Sensors officer confirms Sarragossa has complete decompression and no power left. The fuel tanks have not been punctured yet, so it is still in one piece. I believe there are a total of 20 xeno fighters, they appear to have broken off their attacks. The G.O.D. cannon has missed its target. Astromomers confirm the xeno carrier is still intact and with no apparent damage. Kinetic energy of this magnitude would have done at least superficial damage to any conceivable mass."

"Wing Commander, the xeno carrier is moving back, the fighters are returning to the carrier. Recovery teams have been dispatched, the Sarragossa crew is attempting to reach relative stop for pickup. They report they are...230 km outbound. One of the crews suits has been puntured from debris...he is not responding."

"Understood...I will need time to form a report to Outreach. XO, take over operations and give me updates every 10 minutes." The Wing Commander hopped out of the command module of Thor station and to the space station's communication module.

"Thank you Wing Commander. Do you have word on the Sarragossa crew?"

"Yes sir, the 5 man crew has been recovered. Flight Lieutenant Andrew Sherovky died due to asphyxiation. Some of the flying debris punctured his suit. We do not believe any damage will be caused to Thor station. Sarragossa itself is not salvagable, there are just too many perforations all along the hull. I have dispatched salvage crews to tow it back to Thor station to salvage anything possible, and then tear it apart to be used for possible construction of a replacement. Maneuvering thrusters are being attached to Sarragossa's hull as we speak."

"Excellent. I offer my condolences to Sarragoss'a crew for their loss, and I will contact his immeadiate relatives and any other family members. Be on the watch out for more xeno carriers. We will designate them Shivans for the time being, due to their unprevoked attack. You are to remain on tactical alert. We have a more advanced sensor suite that Freedom station was preparing to send to you in 3 weeks for extreme range targetting. I will give it full priority to be prepared and we believe it will be ready in one week. It has a theoretical range of 15 000km. Continue with the rest of the trials of the Mark I G.O.D. cannon. It is our first working prototype. I want to see what it is fully capable of. I am tagging all information related to the Shivans at level one security clearance. I am aware you do not have this clearance. Nor does anyone else who has seen what happened. So you know what to do."

"Yes Air Commodore."

"I will expect updates every 12 hours. Outreach out."

-----------------------------

Air Commodore Stanciu prepared a full report to the Prime Minister and Emperor of Slavic Byzantium to go over what happened along with the pictures taken of the Shivan carrier. Only visuals from the Sarragossa crew were made of the Shivan fighters. An artist's rendering of the Shivan fighter, designated the Viper: user posted image

The Air Commodore also contacted every space agency in Europa with an identical message.

---------

To all Europa space agencies. We are curious as to whether or not any xeno anomalies have been detected in the past 2 years as we have discovered random xeno energy reading and wish to confirm them so as to see whether or not it is due to a malfunction in our equipment. We await your respective answers.

Air Commodore Flavius Stanciu

Outreach Space Centre

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Sarbo Broadcasting Channel - SBC _________________________________________________________ The intro sequence of SBC plays across Alenian television sets as it fades into a shot of the newsroom. There were two people sitting in chairs in the center of the newsroom, a man and a woman. The man was wearing a business-casual outfit while the woman was wearing formal attire. "Good morning, and thank you for tuning in. I'm Emilia Sada and today we're with the man who discovered the possible key to our national heritage, Namazio Sinagra. Namazio, I understand you were taking a stroll through the forest when you discovered this...artifact." Namazio shifts in his chair slightly as he begins to speak. It's clear in his voice that he's in his 40s. "Yeah, um, I was taking a stroll a little way outside of Verolieri. I went out about, eh...3 miles east, and that's when I found it. This little curved, rectangular block sticking up from the dirt. That's when I ran back and grabbed my shovel and started digging. I kept finding more, and more, and more...and that's when I called the archaeologists." Emilia continues as a narrator. "At 5:20, the archaeologists arrived and began their dig. They've already found what appears to be a wall in the Verolieri forests. They haven't hit the floor yet, but they are extremely close. I'm Emilia Sada, thank you for watching." And the screen fades out to commercial.
    • The HMS Argos had continued its patrols in the Dolch See following its original mysterious encounter with the frigate it had been pursuing. Upon hearing the news that the Ardent and two other ships were currently engaged in a difficult battle with a ship matching that same description, Captain Deanne Domnall was beginning to question her original decision to break off pursuit. However her orders were clear for the moment, unless the situation over there becomes critical, the Argos will continue its normal patrols in hopes of stopping something else. "Captain, we just received a brief burst of a mayday from a Limonaian ocean liner traveling through the Dolch." Domnall snapped out of her thoughts upon hearing her communications officer call from the other side of the bridge. She turned her back to the bridge's window and almost jogged her way over to the officer who was still messing with the controls on his equipment. "Are they still transmitting?" The officer shook his head, "No ma'am I lost the signal almost as quickly as it started. They were briefly able to mention that whatever the ship was that was approaching them appeared to be coming from the general direction of Derthalen's coastline." Deanne took a moment to think to herself, this could be another one of the Sentists attacks, as her crew has started to call them. But something felt a bit off about it, attacked an ocean liner of any size would mean some serious commitment to their actions. While she had no doubt in her head the Sentists were a threat in the Dolch, they didn't appear to be some monolithic organization that could just capture and process hundreds of people like that. "Keep sending replies to their mayday, see if you can get them back." She turned around to face navigation, "Navigation, set a course towards the last known location of that ocean liner. Check their filed plans and let's see if we can use that last radio contact to figure out where they may be. Take us there full speed ahead." Something about this particular incident seem to sit wrong in her gut. But until Argos got there, Domnall made sure to try and quash ever growing list of theories.   --------------------------   Lennox breathed a sigh of relief as it had seemed the battle had finally died down. "Captain, both the other ships have confirmed they are beginning boarding operations." Lennox nodded, "Go ahead and send a reply stating we will be holding back, we have possible unexploded munitions on board that could be a hazard to the other ships if we approached." The communications officer nodded and began to relay the messages. Lennox's second officer approached him holding a radio in his hand, "Captain I've got Leftenant Elliot down below decks saying he's got eyes on the shell that hit us." Lennox immediately grabbed the radio out of his hand, "Leftenant, this is the Captain tell me what your seeing." "Aye captain, seems what we've got here is a partial penetration of the shell. By the looks of it I'm thinking it might be a dud but I can't be too certain. I'm taking a closer inspection right now, but it seems to be fairly old." Both Lennox and his second officer exchanged quizzical looks, "What do you mean old?" "Judgin by the intact marking sir, I'd say this shell is probably... over fifty years old. Certainly not Seylosian. The language looks maybe something like Limonaian? I can't imagine they would have produced this in years though. I'd want to be extra careful with this particular piece, many of these older shells have a chemical anti-tampering device which could set it off." "Well I'm fairly certain we haven't been exchanging fire with a Limonaian frigate tonight... leftenant I want you to document everything you can before going through with any sort of defusal. Make sure that section is evacuated of any non critical personnel." "Aye sir, we're on it"
    • It might seem a little odd starting a blog on increasing Invision Community's speed with the word "lazy",  but I'll explain why this is a good word for performance shortly. Earlier this year, Google announced that page speed is a ranking factor. Simply put, if your site is slow, it will be ranked lower in Google's search results. It is always a challenge making a large application like Invision Community as efficient as possible per page load. A single Invision Community page can pull in widgets from multiple applications as well as a lot of user-generated content with attachments, movies and images used heavily.  This is where being lazy helps. Lazy loading is a method by which attachments, embeds and images are not loaded by default. They are only loaded when the viewer scrolls down enough to make them visible. This allows the page to load a good deal faster now it doesn't have to load megabytes of images before the page is shown as completely rendered. I was going to take a fancy video showing it in action, but it's hard to capture as the system loads the media just before you get to it, so it looks fairly seamless, even with sluggish connections. Not the most dynamic image, but this shows the placeholder retains the size of the image We have added this lazy loading to maps and Twitter emoji images. Improving non-image attachments
      Once we had implemented the lazy loading framework, an area we wanted to improve was non-image attachments. We have listened to a lot of the feedback we had on this area, and have now made it very clear when you add an attachment into a post. We've even returned the download count now it's being loaded on demand. Using attachments when posting All the letters
      When we first implemented the letter avatars in 4.3, we discussed whether to use CSS styling or use an image. We decided to go with an image as it was more stable over lots of different devices, including email. We've revisited this in 4.4, and switched the letter avatars to SVG, which are much faster to render now that the browser doesn't have to load the image files. Other performance improvements
      We've taken a pass at most areas with an eye for performance, here is a list of the most significant items we've improved. Several converter background tasks have been improved, so they work on less data Duplicate query for fetching clubs was removed in streams Notifications / follower management has been improved Member searches have been sped up (API, ACP live search, member list in ACP, mentions, etc.). Stream performance has been improved UTF8 conversions have been sped up Elasticsearch has been sped up by using pre-compiled queries and parameterisation, as well as the removal of view filtering (and tracking) HTTP/2 support with prefetch/preload has been added Several PHP-level performance improvements have been made Implemented rel=noopener when links open a new window (which improves browser memory management) Several other performance improvements for conversions were implemented that drastically reduce conversion time IP address lookups now fetch IP address details from us en-masse instead of one request per address Cache/data store management has been streamlined and centralised for efficiency Many background tasks and the profile sync functionality have all been improved for performance Brotli compression is now supported automatically if the server supports it Redis encryption can now be disabled if desired, which improves performance Phew, as you can see, we've spent a while tinkering under the hood too. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Let us know below! This blog is part of our series introducing new features for Invision Community 4.4. View the full article
    • Look forward to see where you go with this placement.
    • @North Dniester No problem with that on my end, now that the civil war isn't going ahead. Makes it easier for me and @Ahrana to whip you into place.