Andalla

[HELP] Currency?

I'm currently writing the "Economy" section on my factbook, and this silly question came into mind.

"Does Europa have an equivalent to the Dollar?"

The USD is such an important currency, especially in expressing economic figures. Do we have some sort of "international" currency? I'd suppose it could be the ION since anyone can easily say that Orioni is like our America in terms of influence.

If so, are there exchange rates? What are the other major world currencies?

• Thanks 1

I sense a potential pissing contest about to follow.

That aside, I am curious about this concept as well.

Edited by Iverica

ION sounds fair. According to http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/?nation=Orioni+2 one ION equals $1.7912. ( @Orioni )

1 Sol = $1.6683
1 Amla = $1.2825 ( @Andalla )
1 Iverican Velle = $1.2984 ( @Iverica )

At least our currencies are all worth more than a dollar and worth less than O's Ion, we can use the Ion as the value of reference.

I know people in NS use the NS$ or NationStates Dollar.

If you're interested in exchange rates, NSEconomy does provide some data for the entire region. These numbers are all based on the aforementioned NS$.

http://nseconomy.thirdgeek.com/nseconomy.php?region=Europa&exchange=2

1 Prynd = $1.7279

Prynd stronk.

In seriousness, I'd be happy to use the ION as a 'base' currency.

Let's be serious there Gentlemen, shall we? NSE is just garbage when coming to the economy, and just for a simple and fair reason, that it's not linked with our RP at all (in addition to numbers skyrocketing as h*ll). I know that for the Lysian Economy at least, it needs to have a currency exchange under the USD, making the “1 Franc = $1.3260” perfectly abnormal and ruining my RP. Plus most people think it's cool to have strong currencies, while in reality, it's not, and currencies are there to maintain stability in international trade, something China has been cheating on for a while, and that the Members of the Eurozone are taking right in their head (looking right at you Franco-German couple).

Now, in RP, the Lysian would prefer to rely on “1 Franc = 1 Croissant” rather then Monarchists Orioni currency. I personally in all my others RP uses the USD as it's a currency many people around the globe know and it's easy to refer to.

@Orioni

We'll need to organize a convention, at least OOC so it doesn't look like we're still in the prehistoric era, to find the values of all the major currencies against each other (or at least those of the active nations). Then I was thinking, maybe we could appoint an OOC permanent committee to run an IC stock market. This committee is just there to make random updates to simulate the real fluctuation of a stock market, including the values of currencies. I'd be happy to be a part of the committee (erm... head it maybe?) but I'm obviously too inactive to be able to update it daily or even every other day.

I don't know. Just my two centavos.

@Sunset Sea Islands@Fleur de Lys

Lys is right, NS stats are somewhat butchered. Absolutely garbage in some areas. But it should also be noted that there is no such thing as USD in Europa (unless you're talking Prymont).

Edited by Andalla

Did we not used to us Euro as a go to international currency?

I remember making a load of posts in my Vickers Weapons System thread priced in Euros after a brief OOC discussion.

EDIT: Just checked NS Economy for the first time in about 7 years. æ1 = $1.9. Jeez. My government budget is also terribly badly calculated. 

Government Budget Details

• Administration:$0.000%
  • Social Welfare:$0.000%
  • Healthcare:$15,992,014,745,318.126%
  • Education:$114,609,439,008,113.1743%
  • Religion & Spirituality:$0.000%
  • Defence:$47,976,044,235,954.3518%
  • Law & Order:$79,960,073,726,590.5830%
  • Commerce:$5,330,671,581,772.712%
  • Public Transport:$0.000%
  • The Environment:$0.000%
  • Social Equality:$0.000%
Edited by Adaptus
Additional Info.

NSEconomy - how I had forgotten about you!

I think it is only ever best used as a guideline rather than anything else, as for the reasons stated by others above.

I'd be happy to get behind whatever the majority of people get support. Whilst @Adaptus's idea of using the "Euro" is quite a nice idea, it is somewhat meaningless in terms of Europa - there hasn't ever really been a unified organisation to front such a currency and many nations likely claim to be "the" cultural heart of Europa.

And, as @Iverica says, an almighty pissing contest would likely follow :P

• Haha 1

Auro?

Au = gold

Or perhaps that would be more of a regional currency for those in Aurelia.

I like where this brainstorm is heading.

• Like 1

Leading on from @Orioni's suggestion. I done something similar to this for my national currency. 

Aureus - Which translates roughly to Gold or Golden. Because my currency is tied directly to the Gold Standard. 

So taking that principle and applying it to a regional currency (which I would assume would not be tied to gold, but rather a flat currency). So taking the concept of a universal flat currency. 

Quick ideas could included:

• Universae Monetae (UM)
  • Iugis - Meaning perpetual or continuous. 
  • Universala Mono.

You get the idea. I'm rinsing a terms through a translator to get the basis of something unique. 

• Like 1

Why don't you people bow to inevitability and just use the Tagmatine currency?

:P

I'm not honestly sure what name we can use. Part of me wants to keep away from Latin, but I don't really know why.

Why not call the universal curreny the Loaf and base it off of the worth of a loaf of bread (without seeds)? The Japanese use to use a years worth of rice as the basis for their currency, and the Chinese had a similar standard in several of their regions too.

Edited by Derthalen
  • Like 3

The blocks of tea were a Yuan and Ming thing last I checked. Pretty smart of them, but a man can not live off of tea as long as he can off of the equivalent weight of rice.

Hmm... I produce tea... Actually, tea is a great currency!

• Haha 1

Most of our countries should be able to grow rice. 

What happens if you have a tea based currency and try to use it in a country like mine for example, where no one drinks tea?

9 hours ago, Adaptus said:

What happens if you have a tea based currency and try to use it in a country like mine for example, where no one drinks tea?

I suppose if tea was the basis for this theoretical international currency, whether your people drank tea or not would be immaterial. It would still have worth due to its use as a currency.

It'd be fundamentally better if no one drank it - they won't be tempted to take money out of circulation by having a brew up.

Edited by Tagmatium Rules
  • Haha 1

Guys, this is about our global currency, not tea :P:P

@Adaptus I don't really like the idea of an actual global currency. What I'm trying to say is that I doubt that all (or most) countries would actually agree to create a secondary currency to serve as a mediator. Though I'm perfectly fine with that.

We will have to start making currency exchange rates though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Andalla I completely agree. But there is nothing to stop nations trying. 

This is why I simplified my currency by tying it to Gold. Makes exchange easier. 

• Like 1